Four

Who Are You?

That night, Eunbi is lying in bed. She can’t fall asleep. One side of her is telling her to apologize to Dawon, but the other side of her doesn’t have the courage to.

“If you don’t apologize,” she lectures herself. “You can never fall asleep tonight.”

Eunbi climbs out of bed and exits the bedroom. She looks in the living room, but Dawon isn’t there. Eunbi goes to the kitchen and sees Dawon pouring himself a glass of water. Eunbi walks over to him.

He doesn’t seem to notice she is behind him. Dawon takes a sip.

Eunbi reaches her arm out to Dawon. With her index finger and her thumb, she slightly tugs on the sleeve of his shirt.

Dawon puts the cup down and turns his head.

“Dawon,” she says quietly. She has her head hanging. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have gone to the club. I shouldn’t have gotten mad at you. I shouldn’t have yelled at you. I’m sorry. I was wrong.”

He turns his body to face her. Dawon takes her hand and pulls her into a hug. He rests his chin on her shoulder.

Eunbi’s eyes widen in shock. She doesn’t hug him back. However, her heart is increasing. She can feel his warmth. His broad chest is engulfing her.

“I’m sorry too,” he says. “I’m sorry for getting mad at you. I’m sorry for raising my voice at you. I should’ve tried to stay calm, but I was worried. What if the man tried to harm you? What if he takes you away from me? Then, that worried feeling turned to anger.” 

Dawon tightens the hug before he breaks it.

“I’m sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable just now,” he says. “I’ll try to restrain myself from hugging you until you feel comfortable with me.”

Eunbi is astounded. She didn’t feel uncomfortable. Sure, she was shocked, but she liked the feeling of being in his arms. It felt so familiar. 

"I’m also sorry for making you mad this morning,” he continues.

"That wasn't your fault," she replies. "That was all me. Something inside me just became very angry and upset when I saw you smiling at that woman."

"You were jealous," Dawon replies.

"Jealous," she asks. "Me?"

Dawon nods his head. "That happens when someone you love is being friendly with someone else."

"But I don't love you."

"That's because you don't remember me," Dawon replies. "But it seems your heart remembers."

Eunbi is confused.

"Truthfully," Dawon continues. "I've never seen you jealous of me before. This was my first time seeing it." He smiles. "And it was quite a scene, but I didn't dislike it. It showed me that you really love and care for me. I'll do a better job to make you trust me, so you don't ever doubt me."

Eunbi is still confused.

“Let’s go to bed,” Dawon says. “You must be tired.” He walks away.

Eunbi is lying in bed. She can’t fall asleep. She is staring at the empty side of the bed. It feels like something is missing. It feels empty. 

Dawon's words from earlier is also ringing in her head.

"I've never seen you jealous of me before. This was my first time seeing it."

"I was never jealous of him," she asks herself. "Does that mean that he was already doing a great job of making me trust him?"

Eunbi sits up and stares at the door. She’s stopped locking the door, but Dawon doesn’t even enter the room anymore. Not when she’s asleep. Eunbi looks at the clock and reads the time: 2:23 am. She climbs out of bed and heads to the living room. Eunbi walks over to Dawon.

He is lying on his back on the couch. 

Eunbi squats down. She lightly taps his shoulder.

Dawon doesn’t respond.

Eunbi taps his shoulder again. “Dawon,” she whispers. She taps on his shoulder again. 

Dawon stirs in his sleep. He opens his eyes and sees Eunbi.

“What’s wrong,” he asks in his sleepy voice.

“Isn’t it uncomfortable sleeping on the couch,” she asks. “Want to sleep on the bed with me?”

Dawon opens his eyes bigger and lifts himself up with his elbow. 

“What,” he asks. “Are you sure?”

Eunbi nods her head.

 

Dawon is lying in bed. He is facing Eunbi, but he is already asleep.

Eunbi on the other hand is wide awake. She is lying on her back.

“The bed doesn’t feel empty anymore,” she talks to herself. “But it feels awkward now.” She turns her back toward Dawon and sleeps on the edge.

The next morning, Dawon wakes up first. When he opens his eyes, he sees Eunbi’s sleeping face. Dawon smiles. He wants to caress her cheek into his hand, but he doesn’t want to frighten her, so he only stares at her. 

Later on that day, Eunbi is in the backyard. She is playing on her phone and enjoying the weather.

Dawon joins Eunbi.

“Eunbi,” Dawon says. He sits next to her. “Let’s go get ice cream. It’s hot.”

She nods her head.

 

“One vanilla cone, and one chocolate cone please,” Dawon orders.

“You know my favorite flavor,” Eunbi asks.

“Of course. Mine is chocolate. Remember that.”

The woman behind the counter gives them their cones.

“Thank you,” Dawon says. He accepts the cones. Dawon hands Eunbi the vanilla cone. 

“Thank you,” Eunbi says.

“Let’s go sit down.”

They sit at a corner seat.

Eunbi the ice cream. “Mmm,” she hums happily.

Dawon smiles at Eunbi.

“Dawon, there’s something I’m curious about,” Eunbi says.

“What is it,” he asks. He the ice cream.

“How much do you know about me?”

“Mmm. A lot.”

“How much is a lot?”

“Should I tell you one of your deepest darkest secrets?”

Eunbi’s eyes widen. “My secret?”

Dawon leans toward her, and she does the same.

“When you were in elementary school,” Dawon says quietly. 

“Oh no,” Eunbi pouts. She hides her face behind her hands.

Dawon chuckles, but he keeps his voice quiet. “You peed yourself because you were too shy to speak in front of your class.”

Eunbi lies her head down on the counter embarrassed. 

“I have more,” Dawon says. He fixes his posture.

Eunbi lifts her head. “Were we that close that you know all my secrets?”

“The goods and bads,” Dawon says in his normal voice. “And I love each and everyone of them.”

Eunbi is still embarrassed.

“Should I let you know my secrets too since I know yours,” Dawon asks.

Eunbi nods her head. She finally doesn't look embarrassed.

He leans in again, and so does Eunbi.

“When I was in middle school,” Dawon starts. “There was this girl that I liked, and I was planning to confess to her.”

“Did you," Eunbi asks.

Dawon closes his eyes in embarrassment. He takes a deep breath. “When I was going to confess to her, I farted.”

Eunbi covers with her hand to muffle her laugh.

“She told everyone,” Dawon continues. “And everyone in school made fun of me. They called me farty pants.” He fixes his posture.

Eunbi is laughing.

“I have more,” Dawon says.

She looks at him. Eunbi is still laughing. She can tell that Dawon is embarrassed, but he’s trying not to show it. Eunbi stops herself from laughing.

“Thank you,” Eunbi says. “For telling me. I’ll try very hard to remember our memories together.”

Dawon feels so happy to hear her say that. "And I'll try very hard to help you remember," he says.

That evening, Dawon is in the backyard making dinner. He is grilling while Eunbi is happily eating. 

"Have I ever told you that you're a great cook," Eunbi asks.

"Never," he replies.

"Why not," Eunbi asks shock.

"Because you always cooked for me."

"Really?"

He nods his head.

"Maybe I'll keep making you cook for me instead," Eunbi says.

"That's fine," Dawon replies. "Do you want to know why you always cooked for me?"

Eunbi nods her head.

"Because you wanted me to focus on work," Dawon replies. "Every time I stepped into the kitchen, you were afraid I was going to cook."

Eunbi tries to remember, but she doesn't remember.

"I was a devoted wife," Eunbi asks.

"You were the best," Dawon compliments.

"But why am I enjoying this?"

"I'll cook for you whenever you want."

Eunbi smiles happily. She continues to eat.

That night, Eunbi takes a shower first. She is in the bedroom waiting for Dawon. He is in the shower. When Eunbi hears Dawon exits the bathroom, she peeks out from the bedroom door.

"Dawon," she calls.

He looks at her. "Yeah," he asks. He has a towel around his neck and is drying his hair like usual.

"Are you going to sleep on the couch again," she asks.

"Do you want me to sleep there again," he asks. "I will sleep there if you want me to."

"No. Sleep on the bed."