One

Who Are You?

 

“Did you buy sodas,” he asks calmly into the phone.

“Of course I did,” she replies happily. “Who do you think I am?” 

She stops at the stop light and waits for the light to turn green like the other people.

“I’m your wife,” she continues.

“I can’t wait to see you,” he says.

“Me too.”

The lights turn green, so everyone starts crossing the street.

“I’m almost home,” she tells him. “I’m a block away.”

They continue talking.

A car starts stepping on the gas pedal because he isn’t paying attention. Thinking that the light is already green, he starts driving, but instead, he hits a few people including her.

She lies lifelessly on the ground. Her phone right next to her.

“Eunbi,” he asks. “What happened? What was that loud crash? Eunbi? Eunbi!”

 

Eunbi opens her eyes. She hears beeping next to her. The ceiling is covered in white tiles.

“Are you awake?” An older lady looks down at Eunbi.

“Mom,” Eunbi says. “Where am I?”

“The hospital, honey,” her mother replies.

“Why am I here?”

“You got into an accident.”

Eunbi tries to remember.

“Do you not remember,” her mother asks.

She shakes her head.

 

“The accident was a huge trauma to her,” the doctor explains. “Her brain is forcing her not to remember. With time, her brain will slowly accept the accident, and she will be able to remember.”

“How long will this take,” her mother asks.

“It really depends on the person, but the average is about two weeks.”

“Thank you, doctor.”

Eunbi is sitting on the hospital bed waiting for her mother to come back. When she does, she asks her mother, "What did the doctor say?"

"Everything is fine," her mother replies. "Your brain is just trying to protect you, but you will remember again. How are you feeling? Does your head hurt?"

"No. I'm just a little sore, but I'm fine."

"That's a relief."

The door to the room opens, and a man walks in. His eyes are teary. He walks over to Eunbi and takes her hands.

"Are you okay," he asks with his calm voice. "What did the doctor say? Does your head hurt?"

Eunbi pulls her hand away from him and looks at him funny.

"Who are you," Eunbi asks.

He looks at her in despair.

"Honey," her mother says. "What do you mean?"

"Who is this man," Eunbi asks. "Why is he here crying?"

"That's weird. The doctor said she doesn't remember the accident, but she doesn't remember you either?"

"What do you mean," he asks.

"She has memory lost," her mother replies.

“Memory lost.”

The doctor gives Eunbi a full scan.

“The impact caused by the car is suppressing her to forget,” the doctor explains. “Will you tell me what your last memory is,” he asks Eunbi.

“I’m preparing for the college entrance exam,” Eunbi replies.

Her mother and the man look surprised. “Why did she lose so much memory,” her mother asks.

“She hit her head pretty hard on the car and the ground. We’ll give her pain medication if she feels pain, but her memories will be restored by time. The best thing to do is to be surrounded by familiar people she was always with like friends and family.”

“But I don’t feel any pain,” Eunbi says. “Just sore.”

“Alright,” the doctor says. “We’ll give you some medication for your soreness.”

“Thank you, doctor,” her mother says.

The three of them are walking back to her room. Eunbi is holding onto her mother’s arm.

“You’re really not hurt,” her mother asks.

Eunbi nods.

“You’re lucky you only sprained your arm and leg a little,” her mother continues. “But your head did take the most powerful hit.”

“I’m fine,” Eunbi says. “So don’t worry about me.”

Her mother smiles.

“By the way,” Eunbi continues. “Who is the man who keeps following us?” She looks over to her mother’s other side.

“Eunbi,” her mother says. “Don’t be shocked when I tell you.”

“Tell me,” Eunbi says.

“That’s your husband.”

“Husband?” Eunbi looks disgusted. “I’m married? Me? Am I crazy?”

“Honey, don’t say that. You’ll hurt his feelings.”

“It’s okay,” he says. “I understand why she is acting like that.”

“Thank you for being so considerate,” her mother says. 

Eunbi grimaces at him.

Later on that day, Eunbi and her mother are preparing to head home.

“I can’t wait to go home,” Eunbi says. “Hospital beds are so uncomfortable.”

He takes the bags.

The three of them walk over to his car.

“Did you buy a new car,” Eunbi asks her mother.

“This is your husband’s car,” her mother replies.

“Why are we here?”

“Because you’re going home.”

“With you. I’m not going home with a stranger.”

“He’s not a stranger, honey. He’s your husband.”

Eunbi shakes her head. “I’m not going with him. I’m going home with you.” She grabs onto her mother’s arm.

“Honey.”

“It’s okay, mother,” he says. “She can go home with you if that’s what she wants.”

“Who are you calling your mother,” Eunbi asks.

“I’m sorry,” her mother apologizes to him.

“It’s okay, mother. I understand,” he says.

Eunbi is glaring at him. He takes the bags to her mother’s car and puts them into the trunk.

“I’ll come visit,” he says.

Her mother nods her head.

“Who are you to come visit,” Eunbi asks.

Her mother can tell that he is upset, and he’s trying not to show it.

“I’m very sorry,” her mother says.

“Mom,” Eunbi says. “You can stop apologizing. He’s just a stranger.”

“You’ll regret saying that and being mean to him.”

“No I won’t.”

At home, Eunbi is lying in bed. 

“It’s great to be back,”  Eunbi says. She hugs her pillow. Eunbi hops out of bed and looks into her closet, so she can change, but her closet is empty. “Mom,” she calls.

Her mother walks into her room.

“Where are my clothes,” Eunbi asks.

“At your husband’s houses,” her mother replies.

“My husband’s house?”

“When you got married, you brought all your clothes with you.”

“Darn. I guess I can just buy more. I have a job don’t I? It seems like I’m way older than I think I am.”

“You are. You’re 23.”

“I’m not 18?”

Her mother shakes her head. “One more thing,” her mother says. “You don’t work.”

“I don’t work,” Eunbi asks. “What do you mean I don’t work? Am I not going to college to become a nurse?”

“Your husband is the only one who works.”

“Why is that?”

“I don’t know. That’s what you two agreed upon.”

“Can I have some money to buy clothes?”

“You sound exactly like your 18 year old self. We’ll go after a few days. You’re still recovering.”

“I can’t wear the same clothes tomorrow.”

“I’ll call your husband to bring you your clothes.”

“No. I don’t want to see him.”

“Why not? He’s your husband.”

“I must’ve been crazy, mom. Why did I get married at such a young age? Is our marriage real? It’s not fake?”

“No. You two are legally married.”

Eunbi rolls her eyes at herself.

A few days go by. Eunbi is always out. She hangs out with her friends, but the more she hangs out with them, the more she realizes that they all of their own lives.

“Maybe because we’re no longer 18,” Eunbi tells herself. “But everyone is always busy working. It seems like I’m the only one with nothing to do.”

So Eunbi goes out by herself. 

One day, Eunbi returns home after shopping for herself. Her mom asks her to come join her on the couch.

“What is it, mom,” Eunbi asks.

“Eunbi,” her mother starts. “I’m really happy to have you back around the house. It seems like I traveled back to the past, but you should go back to your husband.”

“No,” Eunbi replies. “No. Mom, I don’t want to go live with that man. I don’t know who he is. He may be my husband, but I don’t know him. I don’t want to live with him.”

“The only way you can regain your memories is to go back to him. He is a big part of your life.”

Eunbi shakes her head.

“Also a married woman like you shouldn’t go out alone all the time like you always do,” her mother continues.

“What’s wrong with me always going out,” Eunbi asks.

“Some men may get the wrong idea.”

“It’s not like I’m talking to other men.”

“It’s still not good. Go back to your husband.”

Eunbi pouts.