This Lifetime

120 More Years Beyond Boundaries

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Namjoo had grown silent throughout the ride. Refusing to say a word even when the sun set.

Searching for an isolated area, Chanyeol administered a quick run through to ensure their safety before pulling in for camp. This time they had no camp. No change of clothes. Nothing.

Seeking for extra wood he failed to set up a fire. These kinds of situations weren’t strange to him. Surviving on menial equipment in the wilderness. He’d been there before. Tonight, he wasn’t by himself or other skilled soldiers.

He had a woman with him. Someone to care for and look after. Make sure she was safe and comfortable. His responsibility was different tonight, so he was a little more flustered.

And…he had abandoned his friend. No idea if Minseok had managed to escape…or not.

Chanyeol was struggling not to lose his cool. He was a soldier. He was a general. He took care of his men. He shouldn’t allow anything to distract him.

But he was distracted and he felt like a failure.

He couldn’t even make a fire to keep them warm and scare off predators. It looked like he wouldn’t be sleeping tonight.

The sun had fallen. Darkness surrounded them like vengeful spirits. Spotting not even a tree. Following the sound of Namjoo’s breathing he crawled toward her. Instantly feeling the warmth of her body against his. Finally sitting he drew his knees up like her.

“Are you angry at me?” he asked.

“What is going to happen to him?”

“Do you want me to sugar coat it or tell you the truth?”

“Just tell me.” her voice angrily trembled.

Pain fluctuated through him; that he had to share the cruel truth with her. “He could be dead.”

Namjoo gasped and shook beside him.

His heart broke. Chanyeol didn’t know how to convey it to her.

“That’s…the worst case scenario.”

“Why?” Namjoo cried. “It’s not fair.”

“I know.” Chanyeol somberly agreed. “It isn’t.”

He thought about the bracelet Minseok had given her in hopes of taking her home someday. Maybe if it had been Minseok Namjoo wouldn’t be so sad.

“The moment you took my hand,” Chanyeol told, “I already gave everything up. My life with the Jin family. My job. Home. Don’t cry. You have to steel yourself for the coming days. We’ll get out of here and I’ll build you a home where we can live quietly.”

Burying her face into his shoulder Namjoo cried. Draping an arm securely around her he hugged her tightly.

He would protect her.

He would make sure she got out of this alive.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Discovering a stream, they replenished their systems. Two days and all they’d eaten were berries. Famished and exhausted they sat down on the bank to rest. The trek was getting more difficult. There was no sense of direction in the woods. It was like a maze they would never be able to leave, but walking out in the open served its own kind of danger Chanyeol wasn’t willing to risk.

Government soldiers were looking for them.

Namjoo rested against him tiredly. He couldn’t give up. They had come so far. If they headed south, they could smuggle their way onto a cargo ship to the south islands. If only they could make it.

They were both dirty and smelly. Stained in sweat and covered in grime. Namjoo’s cheap servant shoes were starting to wear. He didn’t want her finishing the rest of the travel on bare feet. He didn’t want her losing any more weight. The state they were in was starting to become a bigger disadvantage by the day.

They desperately needed to enter a village for supplies and food.

Chanyeol glanced at Mul nearby. Dipping his head to drink from the stream hungrily.

He had to make a decision.

Giving Namjoo’s shoulder a pat in order to straighten he stood. Calling out for Mul who strode over slowly.

He didn’t want to keep running with the horse. Dragging him on this journey. Mul could help them escape fast and also become a hindrance. It was better to let the horse go than keep him with the uncertainty that he could provide for the animal.

Chanyeol didn’t want Mul to die for their journey. An animal could always survive by instinct, but humans proved different.

“Hey.” Chanyeol the stallion’s neck. As if sensing his intentions, the horse rubbed his head against his shoulder.

Wrapping his arms around the horse Chanyeol caressed his silky mane. The reins jingled as he released them. Letting them land on the floor in a heap. The horse rebelliously neighed. Shaking his head and hissing air through his nose. He shoved Chanyeol.

“Leave.” Chanyeol ordered.

The stallion cried out and nudged his shoulder again, as if telling him to rethink his decision.

Chanyeol pursed his lips. This was his third battle horse. Though they hadn’t ridden into battle many occasions, his trusted animal had helped him travel distances nonstop. Day and night, heeding his selfish owner’s desires. Good times had been with them.

Chanyeol hesitated before reaching his hand up to gently touch Mul. Feeling his heart crack into itty bitty pieces. He had cared and loved each animal under his care. The loyalty they had served him would never be forgotten.

Softening, Chanyeol let his fingers dig into Mul’s mane. “Thank you, for everything.”

The stallion neighed sorrowfully. Swinging his tail in a bout.

“I’m taking back your name,” Chanyeol said. “You no longer belong to me.” Withdrawing his hand, “Go.”

The horse neighed once, very loudly before dashing into the distance. Chanyeol watched the animal burst into the trees disappearing out of sight.

For a long time, his heart hung heavily. Remaining in the same spot until Namjoo touched his arm. Wrapping her arm around him she buried her chin into his shoulder.

“It’s ok.” Namjoo assured clutching his hand.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

The days became longer. They continued to wander through the forest. Refusing to succumb to exhaustion. Instead, discovering things to talk about to forget their hunger. About the heat. Laughing over rodents and squirrels scampering up trees. When night fell, they huddled together beneath trees to share body heat. When morning rose, they continued their trek.

Sometimes walking silently. Each in their own thoughts. Trying not to talk about the lack of hope hanging over them. Sharing soulful smiles to lift each other up whenever they caught another’s worrying glance. Tightly holding hands to keep strong.

It became harder to getting up each morning. Their stomachs were so empty. Each intestine cramped up whenever they moved. Even a passing fly started looking tasty.

Namjoo started contemplating giving up. Asking to visit the market. She’d eat anything. Even a dead chicken she had to pluck. Then one look at the determination in Chanyeol’s face kept zipped.

He had given up everything for her.

Minseok had put his life on the line for them.

Giving up was too light an option compared to what they were doing.

She camped with Chanyeol again under a starry night. Silence wafted around them thickly. Both of them trying to call sleep. A mirage that could take them under and away from harsh reality. The hunger hurt. The pain even more striking.

“Lets go to the village tomorrow.” Chanyeol spoke up.

Surprised Namjoo glanced at him. She couldn’t see him but she felt him sitting beside her. Imagining the smile on his face as he comfortingly her hair.

“Lets eat something and then continue.” Chanyeol said.

Wrapping her hands around his arm, Namjoo leaned into him. She trusted him. She believed they would get out of this somehow.

When morning arrived, they discovered a road that led to a big village. People whispered when they passed. Two smelly persons who hadn’t bathed for days. A reputable general lowered to a peasant status. Namjoo wondered how hard it was for Chanyeol to be regarded so differently. Given the eye with such disrespect must hurt in a way.

Villagers covered their noses when they entered the market square. Straying far from them. Murmuring and snickering among themselves. Ever conscious Namjoo struggled to blow off her shame and embarrassment; guilt for bringing this kind of attention on them.

She was a disgrace to Chanyeol’s good name.

He said nothing as he led her along. Curiously glancing at foods on display. Vendors stared wide-eyed. Shooing them away whenever they neared. Scolding, “There’s nothing for you!” “Go away!”

Children even tossed a half even bun at them. It rolled across the dirt ground toward their feet. They heehawed before scurrying away upon Chanyeol’s glare.

“Forget it.” Namjoo touched his arm. “It’s ok.”

“The nerve they have!” he hissed beneath his breath; his fist clenched tightly.

They turned when someone skidded around the corner. A man pointed at them. “That’s them.”

A uniformed officer from the police bureau glanced at them. In that nano-second, Chanyeol unclenched his fist. Covering her hand, they backed up. The officer’s eyes widened, as if recognizing them.

Swiveling, Chanyeol strung her with him. With no questions asked, Namjoo picked up her speed. Perhaps word had passed from one police station to the next about them. She thought about the sword and Minseok.

They had to live, they had to live to make his sacrifice worth it!

Charging around the corner, they raced through a tiny alley. Abruptly halting on the other side when they spotted officers prowling the area.

“Catch them!” someone screamed.

Gasping, they turned the way they came. Making a sharp turn down the market square to discover more officers flooding in their direction. One glance behind them to see the previous officer strutting toward them.

Releasing her hand, Chanyeol grabbed a table tossing it at the officers coming toward them. Yanking more goods off tables and throwing them at his targets.

“Run!” he shouted.

Namjoo hesitated. She couldn’t leave without him.

Creating a path for her he screamed again, “Run! I’m right behind you!”

Stepping forward Namjoo glanced at Chanyeol attacking the police officers. Her heart tore. Gripping her hands, she raced ahead. Believing he would be right behind her. Namjoo didn’t know where to go but back to the forest. Bursting through the thicket into the familiar lush green that had been her home the past several days.

Panting. Gasping. Panic overriding her rational thinking. Left or right she kept thinking but instead ran straight ahead where the trees seemed to split wide open for her. Namjoo shrieked when someone tackled her. Falling straight forward onto her knees. Slamming her face straight into the grassy floor. Her nose stung. Her ears rang. Could neither breathe nor move from the weight.

Lifting her head up she shrieked mercy. And then… “Get off her!”

Namjoo caught the view of two men rolling across the forest floor. Muffling a gasp when she pushed herself up to see Chanyeol pounding a fist into the officer’s face.

“Chanyeol! Chanyeol!” she screeched running toward him. Clutching from behind she cried out, “Stop, you’re going to kill him!”

Huffing, Chanyeol shoved the man into the ground. Kicking him a good last time. Muttering, “Bastard.”

Hurriedly glancing over his shoulder, he grabbed her hand. For the first time, Namjoo experienced fear. She could overcome every other obstacle but not running for her life. Not here.

Shutting her eyes, she prayed: wake up. Wake up. Wake up!

Nothing.

Opening her eyes to see the trees flying by in green blurs. The sound of officers diligently running after them. Now or never.

A very familiar noise shot through the air. Chanyeol’s tight grasp loosened and with a grunt he flew forward. Namjoo cried out. All she could pathetically do in that point moment and she hated herself.

Groaning, Chanyeol struggled to push himself up to no avail. Namjoo continued screaming for him even when she peered over her shoulder to see the soldiers closing in on them. The chief on the horse lowering the bow in his hand.

And that was how their journey to escape ended.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

They were dragged to the county jail. Chanyeol forced to walk with his injured leg. Blood seeping through his pants. The sight was horrendous Namjoo cried the entire way. Villagers moved toward the sidelines. Continued their hushed gossiping as they were led through the roads.

On the bright side, they were finally fed warm food. In jail. She thrown in one cage. Chanyeol in the next. The wooden bars were wide enough for them to touch at least. Namjoo found little comfort in that.

A torch ablaze provided them enough light to scan their surroundings. There were no windows. If there happened to be a fire they would suffocate from smoke and die. Heavy black chains locked them in. There was no way to escape now. Stiff straw covered the flooring making their imprisonment much more uncomfortable.

Though her stomach was settled from days of cramping, Namjoo’s heart was even more bruised. What kind of fate had they fallen under to be going through this?

It wasn’t right.

It wasn’t fair.

It didn’t make sense.

“Does it hurt?” Namjoo asked trying not to sniff too loudly. Was he crying, too?

“It doesn’t.” Chanyeol lied. She knew it hurt. She had watched them pull the bloody arrow out of his thigh, done nothing else but knotted a rag around his leg to stop the bleeding. Not even when she begged and pleaded for them to bring a medic.

Those s had given Chanyeol no mercy. She had watched his eyes go white as he gritted his teeth and screamed from the pain.

She had never hurt so much before.

More tears seeped down her face when she closed her eyes. They were leaning against the wooden bars. Had fumbled for each other’s hand the moment they were left alone. It was all she had of him. Clutching his fingers through the width of the wooden barrier.

She should have loved him better.

She should have always loved him more.

“I’m sorry,” Namjoo apologized. “For bringing you here. I made you lose everything you ever had. You couldn’t even say goodbye to your mom.”

“If you’re sorry, don’t ever leave my side.” She imagined him cracking a smile, but it only made her cry more.

In present time, did he know, she had abandoned him before coming here? She was horrible, unforgiveable.

“Then that’s enough for me,” Chanyeol continued. “Just always be with me.”

Namjoo nodded. “Promise.”

“Namjoo.” He called her name sweetly it burned her more than she expected. “Don’t cry.”

“I’m not.” Namjoo lied though it was more than obvious she was. Her nose was clogged, her voice shaky.

“Don’t be scared.” Chanyeol gripped her hand hard.

“You’re the one scared,” Namjoo accused. “Scaredy cat.”

She listened to him chuckle. It should have brightened her, but instead made their situation dourer.

“My mother should have named me differently.” Chanyeol’s voice turned melancholic. “I don’t want ten lifetimes of honor. Instead, I’d rather spend a hundred more years with you. Lets do that. Lets spend twenty lifetimes together.”

Clamping her eyes shut, Namjoo nodded. “Lets do that. Twenty lifetimes.”

“I’m glad,” Chanyeol softly said, “you agree.” A moment of silence drifted past before he spoke again. “I love you.”


***maybe prepare some tissues for tomorrow's double update...

***100 yrs + 20 lifetimes