Always be

120 More Years Beyond Boundaries

An array of light streamed behind Chanyeol. Shining upon him magnificently. His light and swift footsteps closing the gap between them. Eyes focused straight ahead. Standing tall. Walking confidently. Thinking he would come to her, pull her up to her feet. Tell her to stand confidently.

Namjoo blanked when Chanyeol strode past her. Didn’t shoot her one glance. His demeanor as cold as ice, as if they no more knew each other than she his Uncle Jin.

Several steps ahead, Chanyeol halted and politely bowed. Left staring at his back Namjoo witnessed the distinct way Uncle Jin’s eyes brightened. The corner of his lips crinkled as they drew up.

“You’re back?” Uncle Jin greeted.

“Yes.” Chanyeol replied. “I apologize for interrupting your meeting.”

The elder waved his hand, as if it hadn’t been an important matter at all. “Household matters. Madam Kim’s precious vase has been broken.”

“Yes, general. I’ve seen it. It’s irreparable now,” Madam Kim was suddenly alive again. Her voice conveyed much grief. Clutching onto her chest, “I can’t let this go. We have to punish her.”

Uncle Jin shared a look with Chanyeol. “Then we should find a punishment suitable.” Rubbing his chin thoughtfully, he suggested, “Lets do it this way then. Have her flogged five times and take her meals away for two days.”

Namjoo’s eyes widened.

“Yes! Thank you, dear,” Madam Kim breathed happily.

Namjoo glanced over her shoulder at the woman who was beaming. Finding Chunghee’s disdainful eyes not on her but longingly on Chanyeol.

“I’ll let you know, that it’s not just Lady Chunghee. All the girls are lined up to marry the general.”

Contrary to her expectation, she wasn’t angry. A sudden awakening swept down on her like a heavy brush of the wind. Chunghee’s yearning eyes silently confessed her feelings. She was truly in love with Chanyeol. Going the length to capture her and toss her several steps below the rung to ensure Namjoo could never gain the honor of a wife.

By way of understanding, Chunghee was ambitious like she toward success. Willing to do anything to reach the top.

In the name of love, Chunghee was determined to go this far for Chanyeol.

“Sir,” it was Chanyeol who made Namjoo whip back around. “For a lady, that’s too cruel of a punishment.”

“Then what do you propose?” Uncle Jin asked.

Chanyeol politely tilted his head before looking his uncle straight on. “I don’t mean to be impolite. Isn’t it wise to listen to both sides of the story and then determine what should happen next?”

“Very well.” His uncle easily gave in. Looking at her, he called out, “You. Why don’t you explain what happened?”

Namjoo blinked taken aback by the informality. She peeked at Chanyeol who neither turned to look at her or shot her a discreet glance to urge her on. She was truly piqued into a corner.

“I was instructed to mop the madam’s bedroom,” Namjoo told. “I was just looking at the vase. I was doing anything out of the particular. Then I felt a hand push me from behind.”

“Liar!” Madam Kim screamed. “No one was in the room with you! How dare you insinuate such a story!”

“It’s true, sir,” Namjoo pleaded. “I truly felt it. What reason would I have to break such an expensive item? Don’t you think I would have stolen it instead?”

Madam Kim gasped. Screeching, “Do you hear her?!”

“Now, now,” Uncle Jin refereed with a hand up to quiet his first wife. Eyes back on her, he asked, “So, if you weren’t going to steal it, what were you going to do?”

Namjoo’s mouth opened. How could she say she worked for a museum that collected all kinds of ancient artifacts? They couldn’t possibly understand.

“The marbling of the vase was elegantly finished. The smooth painting; each gentle of the mountain scenery was particularly captivating. I was just simply admiring the artwork.” Namjoo explained.

Uncle Jin massaged his chin interested. “You sound like you have background in the artworks. Where are you from?”

“Dear!” Madam Kim beseeched.

Uncle Jin held his hand up again to calm her then turned his attention back to her.

“My home is quite far from here,” Namjoo told.

The man nodded with a grin. “Then I see it was just an accident.”

“My lord!” It was Madam Kim again. Dissatisfied with the drawn conclusion.

“You may return to your quarters,” Uncle Jin excused her.

Namjoo glanced around uncertain. A moment of silence wafted in before she took it as they were finished here. Pushing herself up Namjoo courteously bowed to Uncle Jin. Meeting with Madam Kim’s heinous gaze when she turned. Obviously, they were not done here.

Namjoo brushed past and walked out.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

“But I’m sure you’ll hear me screaming and wake up. You’ll come find me.”

He would look for her if anything happened. Namjoo trusted him.

When he found out Namjoo had disappeared overnight leaving behind her clothes, makeup, her comfortable bedroom Chanyeol didn’t know what to think. Where to start. Who to go to.

Namjoo’s home wasn’t around here.

She hadn’t screamed.

His worst nightmare was that she had been taken midsleep and would wake up not knowing where she was.

Who could have taken her?

He spent the entire day interrogating each male guest. None had approached Namjoo and had no clue who she was. It was mind boggling. The panic was overwhelming. The concern wiping the floor right from under his feet.

Preparing Mul, he rode to the edge of town. Through the forested areas. Afraid Namjoo had been dragged, kidnapped; if she had managed to free herself and was running for her life again. How much distance would she have covered by now?

Aware he had no clue was the worst of it.

By sun down he still hadn’t found her. Namjoo had just vanished out of thin air. Her captor leaving not a clue behind. Was she starving? Was she barefoot? Was she hurt? Was she being tortured? The possibilities ravaged him.

Chanyeol stubbornly continued his search without returning to the bathhouse. Camping in the woods slouched against a tree. Foraging through the forest, surviving on tidbits of edible fruits, stealing eggs from bird nests and cooking them over tiny camp fires. Drinking whatever water he found after stumbling across a river hidden deep in the thrush. Traveling so far that he only returned to the bathhouse when Mul refused to go further. Famished and exhausted from being dragged into his master’s selfish journey.

Forced to give up because he didn’t know where he was headed. The answer was waiting for him once he reached.

A messenger was waiting for him with a note. Telling him he’d been ordered to specifically hand it to him.

Scrawled on paper was where Namjoo had been taken.

The Jin manor.

Without even pausing to bathe or grab a fresh homemade meal, Chanyeol climbed back onto the stallion and took off. Heart racing. Adrenaline pumping through his entire system.

Namjoo at the manor.

Namjoo at Prime Minister Jin’s.

The panic was real.

When he burst through the doors to his homestay, he first thought to find Minseok, but the curious servants grouped in front of the Jin study made him head their direction. He was told the minister was having a meeting. It was Madam Kim’s raised voice that caught him.

“Announce me,” he ordered the male servant whose post was outside the study.

Chanyeol couldn’t look at Namjoo sprawled on the floor. Sweep her up to her feet. Inquire whether she was ok and what was going on. Putting on a front he walked right past her. And it hurt, because he really wanted to pull her up. She shouldn’t be helplessly on her knees. In those low-quality clothes. The ribbon knotted around her hair signifying a servant’s lowly status.

What had happened?

A fast deduction and he already knew Madam Kim was intent on punishing Namjoo for whatever had occured. Didn’t matter what it was. In this house if Madam Kim wanted a rose garden destroyed the rose garden would be destroyed to be replaced with what she better preferred.

Gleefully chuckling after excusing Namjoo, Uncle Jin turned back to him. “I hope you are back to stay for good. So suddenly you disappeared.”

“Ah…yes,” Chanyeol slightly nodded his head. “My apologies. There were matters I wanted to attend.”

“Then go on and rest. Madam Kim,” he called. His huffing wife turned to attention, “Tell the orderlies to prepare a meal for the general. He must be exhausted.”

His feet were quick to walk him out. Searching right and left for Namjoo. Heart wildly pumping, because he missed her. Needed to be close to her because after so much panic, he wanted to relieve it by breathing the same air.

Namjoo was nowhere. Not even at the corner of the study. Chanyeol heaved a deplored sigh. Pivoted and halted when he saw Chunghee had come out after him.

“General,” she shyly called out. Daintily smiling, “I was wondering where you went. I’ll walk with you.”

He readily opened his mouth to oppose, but thought better of it. This was Chunghee. He wasn’t just anywhere now. He was at the Prime Minister’s estate. There were eyes and ears. Behind Chunghee he noted though the servants had dispersed, the man was still in his post. Not watching them, but he could verify they were together. If Chanyeol ditched Chunghee and upset her, Madam Kim would hear it. She would call him to talk over tea and probe him slyly, like a cat playing with a mouse. Enjoying the chase. Back and forth, back and forth until it was hungry enough to end the game.

Chanyeol didn’t want to be eaten.

They turned down the alley toward his quarters.

“I was surprised you suddenly left,” Chunghee began. “Usually you give a notice before departing on a trip. I was worried about you.”

“It was really nothing to worry about.” Chanyeol said. “I just wanted some air.”

“Did you go to the bathhouse?” Chunghee wondered.

Mentally on the tip of his toes, Chanyeol lied, “No, I didn’t go there.”

Chunghee watched him quietly. Then smiling, “I’m glad.”

In reply Chanyeol returned a half-hearted smile.

“I hope you will be staying for good,” Chunghee told. “I really waited for you. And I thought maybe,” she shyly fiddled with her fingers, “we could spend some time together.”

“Some other time,” Chanyeol said. “I’d like to rest today.”

“Of course.” Chunghee merrily agreed.

He gave her a polite farewell when he reached his quarters. Urged to turn around and run back out to look for Namjoo, but stopped. Chunghee wasn’t too far gone yet. Slowly taking her time walking away, as if she didn’t want to depart. Forcing himself to head in Chanyeol moved toward his room.

Tossing his luggage onto the bed on his way in. Distressed because he was tired, but he couldn’t relax. His mind was elsewhere. He didn’t want to be here but out there with Namjoo. The good things had ended so soon. He wanted to hear what happened. How she’d gotten here. Why she was suddenly a servant girl.

“You got my message.” He peered over his shoulder to find Minseok leaning against the threshold, arms crossed.

“Yea…” he muttered. Turning around he busied himself with his luggage.

“You ought to be more careful about leaving your belongings lying around.” Minseok warned.

Immediately, Chanyeol’s eyes shot toward Namjoo’s shoe sitting on the bedside table. Dropping the luggage he was uselessly occupied with, he turned around to face his friend.

“I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one whose been in here.” Minseok’s gaze was stern and cool. He wasn’t making light talk. “Namjoo had a rather rough trip here. I’m not going to pinpoint who brought her here, because I’m confident you already know.”

He lightly bit down on his teeth. “Was she hurt?”

“She’s full of tenacity.” Minseok went around the answer. “They’ve assigned her under Madam Kim’s residence. If I were you, I’d watch out.” Minseok turned to leave, but not without saying, “You can find her at the abandoned shed on the east side.”

Chanyeol opened his mouth but his friend was already out of earshot. Now that he knew where Namjoo was the excitement surged through him at full force. First, he’d eat and take a bath. He didn’t want to meet her coated in grime and days’ worth of sweat.

After changing, Chanyeol headed out. Skipping down the darkened alley. Discovering Namjoo’s place easily. Glad that it was set apart from the worker’s quarters. He didn’t want to imagine waking the other woman she slept with just to see her. Although it made him sad she was pitted here so poorly.

The door was closed. He wondered if she was asleep. Nervous that he was seeing her for the first time in so long, Chanyeol hesitated. Deeply swallowing and pressed his lips together. What should he first say?

“What are you doing?”

Chanyeol jumped and quickly spun around to find Namjoo observing him. He grimaced and took a breath. At first thinking she was someone else and what excuse he’d use if he was caught lurking around.

Pulling on a tepid smile, Namjoo said, “You finally came.”

His lips curved up. Not quite forming a smile but he was mesmerized. Seeing her in solid form after almost a week. He was a fish diving back into the waters. A moth flying to the light. A blanket warming up the body from the cold.

The sweetness of the moment flushed through him.

He’d missed her.

Reaching out for her arm he pulled her toward him. Swiftly sliding his hands up her arms as he swirled her against the building, under the shadow of the roof. Where they could be hidden from view.

So close. Chanyeol saw the flutter of her lashes. The high of her cheekbones. The white towel draped around her neck. Smelling the freshness oozing off her. Experiencing a tremor from the fact that she’d just bathed. He could feel the warmth of her body pressed into the wall, pressed into him.

Namjoo’s eyes fluttered again. Their eyes met and stayed there. Cupping her face, he finally kissed her. Feeling, again, wholesome. Like this was meant to be. He was hers and she was his. And it was always supposed to be this way.

He kissed her longingly. Urging her to angle her head for him. Tasting her willingness as she complied. Touching his forearms as she kissed him, too.

Chanyeol in a breath when he withdrew. Feeling his heart beat rapidly. A fluidity of emotions fluctuated through him. Of heat and want and love. Happiness.

Rubbing her earlobe affectionately with a thumb he peered down at her lost in a kind of dizzying spell. Had she always been this pretty?

“I woke up,” he softly said, “and you were gone.” Namjoo looked up at him. “I was afraid I’d never find you.”

In the cooing darkness that ensured their togetherness, Namjoo covered his hand with hers. A comforting measure that he took to heart. And he couldn’t be any more grateful that she was still alive. In front of him and she felt the same.

“I’m sorry,” he apologized. “I came late. I’m here now.”


***Minseok literally helped him save her