Beside You

120 More Years Beyond Boundaries

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Following the dirt paved roads Chanyeol led Namjoo into the bustling market square. The performers they’d seen yesterday weren’t present. Today there was a mass of shoppers. Travelers, women out for food, children tagging along. Other young ones freely running to tire their time because school was too expensive and out of their league, reserved for only the better off kids.

The smell of home hit him very strongly. The man at the corner with a chipped tooth showing off his candy making skills. Several young ones had gathered in front of his small wooden table to watch. Tiny oval mouths open hungrily. Each one hoping for a freebie. There was the older woman who used to snap at him for her homemade jewelry out of curiosity. That was when he used to wander to streets while waiting for his mother to pack up shop. Wishing he had the money to buy her something pretty. Old age hadn’t taken that nagging from her even if her hair turned stale gray.

Busy chatter, numerous activities, the consumers fumbling around them constantly absorbed in their busy lives made him sink back into his youth. Of times when he roamed the forests with his friends. Being mischievous. Sliding down muddy hills for thrills and returning home to a scolding. Crying vicious tears when his mother made him go to school. Unfair he had sobbed. He didn’t want responsibility, the ability to become smart; make something out of himself. Enraptured by freedom he was unwilling to give up his local friends.

He went anyway. To make his mother proud. Someday he would buy her a real house with secure fence posts. A yellow straw home weaved together so strongly that no longer required monthly repairs. She would no longer have to wake up at the strike of dawn and lug her materials down the barren road in the dark. Prick her fingers because she worked by moonlight complaining oil was expensive and she didn’t want a gas lamp.

Someday, he had dreamed, his mother could live on his allowance and no longer work. She could rest at home. Become a regular housewife who washed laundry and hovered over the stove. She would no longer have to exert energy to complete her backbreaking work. Her son would provide for her. She could live freely and do the shopping instead of providing for shoppers.

That was the life he always wanted for his mother.

Yet even on enough allowance habit still won. His mother would always wake at dawn, pack, travel down the moonlit road to her shop in Boryeong. Providing service at too cheap a price, because his mother always possessed the biggest of heart and couldn’t take advantage of anyone. Not even those who were better off.

At some Chanyeol came to accept that this was the way his mother lived. These things were what she did to fulfill her life’s purpose. Even if he didn’t like her working this way. It made her happy. Her heart beat every day for this. She lived to serve.

Chanyeol was careful not to hold Namjoo’s hand. The locals recognized him. Sparking rumors that may hurt his mother was something he didn’t wish for. A distance away he pointed his mother out. Inside her little shop where a line of women was waiting for her assistance. An assortment of colorful cloths was sprawled over the table on her right.

The smiling mother he knew was happily chatting. An identical smile splitting her lips wide open. The hands that used to feed him food was occupied with needle and sheet of green. Too busy to notice him, but butterflies of joy beat inside his chest.

“She looks busy.” Namjoo commented.

“I told you, right?” Chanyeol reminded. “Too busy.”

Namjoo grinned. Standing close enough that he felt her brush against his arm. If they were standing out in the open, in the middle of the swarming shoppers he would hold her hand. Hug her close.

“Chanyeol!” A vendor called out. “Why, I didn’t know you were back!”

Then one and another familiar vendor called out to him. Greeting him happily. Pulling him away from Namjoo’s side. Unable to ignore the familiar faces Chanyeol smiled. Patiently answering their questions as they left their stalls to surround him curiously.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

So, this was the kind of life General Park Chanyeol lived. In a tiny village where everyone knew everyone someway, one or another.

Namjoo was foreign to this kind of homey familiarity. Her connections were through her father or business networks. No one would walk over to greet her without expecting something in return.

Backing away Namjoo allowed Chanyeol’s neighbors to swarm around him. A face they long missed. A boy they had watched grow up return home a successful man. Park Chanyeol to them was probably their home pride. Namjoo took delight in that fact.

Park Chanyeol was so loved here.

Trekking back down the dirt paved road, Namjoo tucked her hands at her back. Gazing around at the world surrounding her. The open sky so grand. Life so quiet here. Unlike her constantly busy world in the present, where all she did was work. Not stopping for a moment to appreciate the tranquility that came with life.

Was there a reason why this had happened to her?

Not Park Chanyeol teaching her a lesson, but was this some kind of cruel lesson from God himself?

A gentle push woke her up. Chanyeol’s hand slid from her back down to her hand. Entwining fingers with her, he pulled her along. “Lets go.”

“To where?”

“Home.” He widely grinned holding up a dead chicken for her to see. Namjoo winced at the way he held up the chicken by its legs. The wings loose and outstretched and smelled very strongly…of chicken.

Slapping a hand over , Namjoo struggled not to gag.

“What?” he blankly asked. Her eyes widened when he swung the dead chicken right into her face. “This?”

Running away she screamed, “Get that away from me!”

Amused, Chanyeol chased her all the way back to his house.

She spent a minute puking by the forest while Chanyeol worked on boiling hot water to pluck the chicken. Joining him when he finally completed his task. Sitting on the yard table she watched him start up the stove at the tiny hut connected to the side of the house. A storm of steam flew into his face, but magically Chanyeol seemed unaffected.

“I didn’t know,” Namjoo said, “you know how to cook.”

“My mom was always busy, so I had to do something.” He answered.

“Don’t you get food from the neighborhood ladies?” Namjoo wondered. “You looked very cozy with them.”

He smirked attractively, “Why? Were you jealous I had so many old ladies around me?”

“No.”

“I learned from watching them,” Chanyeol told. Grinning, “I have a knack for learning fast.”

“I see, you were always smart,” Namjoo said.

“What was that?” he turned away from the fire he finally managed to resurrect. Stepping out of the hut he walked toward her. Pinning both hands around her he leaned down toward her.

The way he managed to do it was kind of hot Namjoo’s blood rushed. She glanced up at him. Holding the gaze in his eyes. Seeking her reflection in his irises.

Touching his cheek, she asked, “Do you believe in reincarnation?”

Surprise fluctuated through his eyes. The intimate air vanishing just like that. Moving to sit beside her he leaned back on his hands, staring up into the sky.

“That’s a fascinating question.” Chanyeol said. “I never thought about it before.”

“It’s something I never thought about either.” Namjoo admitted.

“Then why do you ask?”

Namjoo glanced at him. It wouldn’t make sense to tell him about present time Chanyeol. Someone else waiting for her at home.

“It just occurred to me,” Namjoo smiled touching his hand.

She couldn’t eat the chicken soup Chanyeol offered her. The image of the dead bird he’d been carrying on their way home disturbed her too much. Namjoo couldn’t stand the stench of a chicken even if it was dead and swimming into delicious broth. On the verge of gagging again Namjoo turned away from the bowl he had scooped for her.

Sighing, Chanyeol went back into town to gather greens. Namjoo ate like a vegetarian for the first time in her life, and went go bed with him on a half empty stomach. Once again Chanyeol’s mother returned at the peak of midnight waking her from sleep.

Burying her face into Chanyeol’s chest she draped her arm around him. Sound asleep he never budged. Namjoo lay awake for a long time. Soaking into the warmth flowing off him. Smelling his musky scent. Indulging in the security of his room, his blanket; the scent of him.

Would it miraculously be like this once she returned home?

Would her Chanyeol open his arms for her again?

There were many things to ponder over. Her life, her job, her father. Park Chanyeol. Many things were hanging off her. Was she willing to step down from her position in order to make more time for Chanyeol? Would she be able to accept the disapproval from her father, live with the fact she could no longer meet his expectations than never being the son he never had?

There would always be one sacrifice for the other. Namjoo would have to set a boundary somewhere if she wanted to move forward. Enjoy the solace of once in a lifetime.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Chanyeol’s mother was gone by the time they woke up. Namjoo missed her chance to greet the woman who had raised the general again.

On the bright side, Chanyeol was full of smiles because his mother had finished his chicken soup to the last drop. Leaving none for him. He took her into the forest to explore and forage for wild plants. They would be eating that for breakfast because she didn’t want any meat.

The forest was thick. In every direction was a tree stump or a dead tree. The wooden carcass broken open. A quarter of its body sitting on the forest floor home to maggots and wild rats. Namjoo screeched every time she saw a pair of floating eyes. Chanyeol seemed to enjoy every one of her outbursts.

He told her stories of snakes and attacking birds the further they walked. Namjoo stuck close to him in fear of running into any boars. Even if he was just messing around with her Namjoo never dismissed the fact that this was a land unknown to her. What lay five feet ahead may be a kind of danger. Things in this world were many she’d never been prepared for.

Shadows danced ahead when the trees grew closer together and the foliage thicker. The birds suddenly stopped calling each other. Colorful flowers suddenly disappeared. Chills started spreading up her spine.

Slinking an arm around her, Chanyeol turned her around. “Lets go back.”

“Is there something up ahead?” Namjoo wondered.

“Monsters.”

She chucked her elbow into his chest. Chanyeol grunted before laughing.

“It feels eerie,” Namjoo commented. “You haven’t been there, have you?”

“Yea,” he murmured. “There’s just a hill beyond and a deep swamp.”

“Is that where you went mud sliding?” Namjoo wondered.

“No, that’s somewhere else.” He answered.

“You’re not lying?” Namjoo asked.

“Then lets go check it out.” He started swerving her around.

Digging the heel of her feet into the ground, Namjoo shrieked, “No! Stop it!”

Cheerily laughing but keeping his arm around her, he led her forward. “Then why ask. You’re silly.”

Arriving happily Chanyeol squeezed her arm. Only they noticed the disruptive neighing from Mul. And there was a visitor. A man with his back to them sitting on the yard table. A prominent sword at his side. At the gate a familiar stallion was tied up and swaying his head distressed.

Chanyeol removed his arm. “Minseok?”

Standing, Minseok turned to look at them. His expression was grave. “Where’ve you been?”

“We were…”

Quickly cutting the general off, Minseok scolded, “You shouldn’t be wandering around right now!”

Wariness washed over them. Namjoo felt her heart start racing. She’d never seen Minseok so serious. Always the goofily grinning man he was. Today it looked like another personality had taken over, and she was witnessing something she never wanted to.

“I’ve sent a soldier to your mother. He’ll her to my grandparent’s.” Minseok explained. “You have to leave now.”

The plants Chanyeol had been holding onto dropped from his hand, scattering around their feet.

“How far?” Chanyeol breathlessly asked.

“Not far.” Minseok replied.

Namjoo’s gaze shot from one man to the other. Wondering what the hell they were speaking about, because she couldn’t understand their short-stated sentences. Stop speaking in code she wanted to scream.

“What about you?” Chanyeol asked.

Minseok smiled. Coyly.

That was his answer.

With no haste, Chanyeol gripped her hand. Hard and tightly. Pulling her with him so fast Namjoo couldn’t conjure up anything to say. She caught Minseok’s eye as she passed. Seeing in time the soft-spoken smile reserved for her.

She wheeled around. “Wait…”

Her heart tore out of her chest when Minseok spun around to watch them leave.

“We’re just going to leave him?” Spinning around to Chanyeol Namjoo cried out. Tugging to free herself, she shouted, “We should bring him with us. Why are we running without him again?”

But Chanyeol’s grip was strong and he refused to let her go. He didn’t answer as he untied Mul.

It took no dumb person to sense something was very off about the situation. Minseok with the sword at his side. The grave expression on his face. Coming to warn them. Giving them a head start.

“Get on.” Chanyeol urged.

Still struggling, Namjoo tried running back to Minseok. In hopes of persuading him to come with. They left him once. They shouldn’t leave him behind another time.

“Why are we leaving him?!” Namjoo shrieked.

She battled Chanyeol, but no amount of strength could beat him. Hooking an arm around her waist he lifted her off her feet. Forcing her to grab onto his horse. Hurriedly climbing on he corrected her position before she could swivel off.

Twisting around she shoved Chanyeol. Punching his chest, “Let me off!”

Giving her no opening, Chanyeol grasped the reins yanking them. Despair rocked Namjoo as she watched Minseok become a blur and they were down the road.

“How could you…” she gasped punching him once more. Tears arising in her eyes because she couldn’t tell what was happening from here on.

“Don’t look back,” Chanyeol warned. She looked up into his face. The glaze in his eyes was blank and held steady, but his voice trembled. “Just look forward. You have to look forward.”

“We left him.” Namjoo blinked her tears back. Turning to face the front she felt imprisoned in Chanyeol’s arms.

“He risked his life coming to us. We shouldn’t waste his effort.” He leaned into her to hug her.

Namjoo cried. Unable to understand the situation, but that they had abandoned Chanyeol’s best friend.

“Is he going to die?” she squeezed her eyes shut. Thinking of that sword again.

Chanyeol didn’t answer her.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

It took one hour in the morning for Madam Kim’s residence to realize Namjoo had not shown up from work. A search through her quarters showed she hadn’t slept there. Easy as that they assumed she’d given up and ran away from their ploys. Snickering among themselves for finally driving her out.

It took three days for the Jin family to realize that Chanyeol was not on a mission. Even less than a minute for them to conclude Namjoo had run off with the general. The uproar it had caused was enough to flip the entire Jin household upside down.

Is it true? Prime Minister Jin had asked. Lady Chunghee’s woeful tale spun with spitting tears drew the line. The bathhouse girl had seduced the reputable general, persuading him to leave with her. The father who doted on his first daughter was enraged. Swearing he would end everything.

The very man he had accepted into his house wholeheartedly had betrayed him. Stabbing him in the back. Full well aware he was supposed to wed the prime minister’s first daughter. Park Chanyeol had committed a grave crime and he shall pay for it. For breaking promises and breaking his dear Chunghee’s heart.

The moment the notice made it to the head chief of police that was it. A manhunt was underway.

Kim Minseok had grown up with Park Chanyeol. The two of them swimming in the mud together. Venturing into forbidden forests. Escaping snake bites and nasty flies. Heading into the military together. Becoming Chanyeol’s second in command was Minseok’s greatest achievement in life. Fighting battles beside his best friend. Spending rainy nights camped under just a tree. Suffering battle wounds together. Hissing and crying when first aid was administered. Escaping the hands of death at the front lines. Always returning to base in one piece.

Minseok would always fight beside Chanyeol the rest of his life. Chanyeol’s fight for freedom was Minseok’s, too. They would share the fight for rights he deserved. Quiet Chanyeol who loved his girl very much.

Sitting at the abandoned house very quietly, Minseok arranged his thoughts. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting until he heard the hooves and sound of horses that brought with it heavy armory. Clutching his sword, Minseok lifted his head to see a troop of soldiers.

The bulky man riding at the front bore a signage similar to a civil servant. ing out a stamped sheet of legal paper, he gruffly stated, “You’re under arrest.”


***2-3 more chapters ;;;;