Household Power

120 More Years Beyond Boundaries

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

A feast awaited them at breakfast. The entire family was gathered in the hall for it. Three of the four wives. The third wife, Madam Lin, was in bed rest from an acute illness but her two daughters was attending in her family’s stead.

Laughing haughtily, his uncle commanded, “Please, eat a lot. The journey must have been exhausting.”

“Yes, yes,” Minseok excitedly nodded his head stretching forward and already grabbing his utensils, “thank you for your generosity, uncle.”

Chanyeol side eyed him then to his uncle more seriously, “Yes, thank you.”

“I heard the terrains were rough and dangerous.” Madam Kim, the first wife and Chunghee’s mother, sitting nearest Uncle Haejin, said.

It was Minseok again. “There were a lot of wild animals. If it weren’t for Chanyeol here, we wouldn’t have made it without casualty.”

“Chunghee, here,” her mother touched her daughter’s back, “was waiting so patiently for your return.”

“Yes, it’s also because we made a quick stop at a bathhouse,” Minseok blurted.

The young girl in the most expensive gown at the table glanced at him. Wide eyes inquiringly. The ornaments dangling from her hair pins swayed as her head moved. In Prime Minister Jin’s household, Kim Chunghee was regarded as the most beautiful. With grace and virtue. The most suitors. All her sisters and cousins couldn’t compete with her. Their opinion, though.

As the first wife’s only daughter, she stood at the top of the chain. With the highest order. Top of the hierarchy along with her mother. Her porcelain skin was so envied it was almost the talk of town. Heads turned whenever she left the house to visit the market. It was even said women were jealous of her pretty pouty lips. Men were enamored by the elegant movement of her hands.

It was also widely known she was very much all for him.

Actually, because Prime Minister Jin’s daughters were rarely known to leave the house they all pretty much vied for his attention. Because he held the ranked title of a general in the military.

He and Minseok were the only younger male figures in the household at the moment. Second wife Madam Lee’s son, Lee Heesun, was out of town currently studying at a renowned institute to become a scholar, hopefully, serving the king in the palace in the future. Gone with him was fourth wife Madam Jeong’s younger son, Jeong Sangman. Only her daughter Jeong Suji was at home with her.

“A bathhouse,” repeated Madam Lin’s eldest daughter, Haein. With thinner almond eyes, her focus landed on Chanyeol. “Isn’t that a place ran by women?”

“Chunghee should watch out,” Haein’s younger sister mocked eyeing the older cousin with disdain. “Imagine General Park surrounded by lowly women.”

More seriously, Jeong Suji, Madam Jeong, fourth wife, and the most reserved, said without interest, “An honest man like the general, would he fool around with the servant girls?” earning a tiny smile from Chunghee.

“Girls, girls,” calmly coaxing them Madam Kim smiled at him. Her red lips stretched enormously. Leaning forward to catch his eyes, she said, “Please, when you have time, come have some tea.”

It was a mandatory notice. Chanyeol understood the procedure.

Clearing his throat, his uncle commented joyfully, “Look at all this energy now that you’re back. Rest. I’ve sent in a note that you’ve returned safely.”

Chanyeol managed to swallow just his first plate of food before excusing himself. Wandering around the spacious courtyard. Anxious for some peace. The women always had so much to say.

Crossing the concrete yard, he climbed onto one of the bridges. Leaning against the red patterned rails. Staring into the lazy river. Watching the lotus flowers float slowly. One after another. Disappearing beneath the bridge toward the other side. Faint pink petals to darker shades. The damp green water was probably a foot deep but from up here it seemed like a dangerous plunge.

Bringing to thought a sudden vision of the lake yesterday. Sun arching his head down to replenish his energy, scooping water into his mouth while he sat under the shade with Namjoo. Turning silent and withdrawn on the journey back to the bathhouse. Noticing she had clutched him less tightly. Wringing the sides of his robe into her fists but not putting her arms around him. Assuming she was exhausted he hadn’t commented, only ridden the horse at a slower pace in case she slipped.

Not a word from her when they reached. She’d just limped off with the male laborer and disappeared into her room.

He was puzzled why she hung intently in his mind. Why he felt bad for unexplained reasons. And these emotions like he was empty and missing something.

Did he know her?

“I heard you returned in the late hours,” Chunghee appeared beside him. Propping her arms onto the railing like he. She peered into his face curiously. Her jeweled earrings sparkled in sunlight. Probably was the most expensive pair of the cousins.

“Yea.” He quietly mumbled.

“Did you really go to the bathhouse?” Chunghee was curious. Probably probing if he had paid for any extra service like many other men. Things like massages that could turn lustful and intimate.

“We stayed overnight.” Chanyeol told.

She was quiet. Seeming disappointed. Wondering, “Did you meet anyone.”

Again, he stared into what appeared as half of his reflection on the water. Remembering the lake. Riding out of the woods to find Namjoo watching him in the middle of the grassy field. Big eyes and astonished. Drained and tired and sweating. Her robe dirt streaked. Pieces of snapped branches and leaves clung to her clothes as if she had been rolling around. The fine breeze teasing the loose strands of her hair like she had been waiting for him.

“I met someone strange.” Chanyeol replied.

“Weird, he means.” Minseok poked his head forward. Popping up from out of nowhere on the other side of Chunghee. Grinning foolishly, he asked, “What are you two doing out here alone? It’s suspicious.”

Chunghee’s cheeks turned pink. “It’s…it’s nothing.”

Taking his leave, Chanyeol turned to walk away saying, “Tell your mother I’ll stop by later.”

“But…” Chunghee stepped forward to follow, but Minseok beat her. Giving her a fun salute before catching up with him.

Bumping his elbow, “You cut her off her so fast that wasn’t fair.”

“You obnoxious brat,” Chanyeol murmured.

“What?”

“Egging them on to argue at the table,” Chanyeol reminded.

Minseok scoffed, crossing his arms, “It’s fun.”

“I don’t want anything to do with their family politics,” Chanyeol told.

“You can’t escape Chunghee,” Minseok smirked. “Even Prime Minister Jin is eyeing you, you know that. He could even build an army for his daughter if she cries. She’s his first daughter, may I remind you.” Shaking his head, Minseok sped up passing him. Glancing over his shoulder, “You’re in no place to have any opinion.”

Chanyeol stopped in his tracks.

in his breath he pivoted and made a right.

“Where are you going?!” Minseok called out hurrying after him.

“To the market for some air.”

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

The noise of the people blocked out everything in his head. His eyes focused on the goods surrounding him. Stopping by a taffy shop Chanyeol paid for some candy and continued on his way. Walking off without waiting for his friend who caught up five tables later.

The chatter, the busy daily life of others was intriguing in every way. He thought of his mother. A seamstress at home. With a tiny shop on the corner of Boryeong Market street. Carrying a bundle of colorful cloth with her every morning. Promoting her shop through customers and always accepting bargains. Offering to stitch holes in torn clothing for the less fortunate without charging a fee.

His mother, Heekyung, was that kind of woman. Not born of nobility. She didn’t have a well-known status in society. Just known as that woman in the corner shop in Boryeong. A mother to him. An unknown woman to others who offered to make clothing.

Park Chanyeol grew up a humble life. Living on the money she made with bloody fingers. Toiling night and day. Never quitting even when she was sick. To raise him. Give her only son a well deserved life. So he was here in the city. To prove her teary efforts hadn’t gone to naught.

He would be the good son. He would make her proud. He would always obey her wishes.

Chanyeol split up from Minseok upon their return to the manor. Heading straight toward Madam Kim’s quarters. He just wanted to get this over with.

A refined building with delicate touches. Several vases of flowers were sprawled throughout the home, giving off a deep floral scent. At the deep red polished table right in the foyer the woman was waiting for him. Fragile cups decorated with hand painted imageries were steaming. In it, freshly brewed tea.

“Please sit,” she invited. Very much like Chunghee she owned the most expensive makeup. Handsewn gowns of the best quality silk imported from abroad. She didn’t have many hairpins in the braided hair piece to equate the elegance of her outfit, but on her hands were many rings of all sizes.

The room opened up to another sort of resting area behind her. Extensive furniture and tables arranged throughout in front of the big window. He imagined they gossiped and snacked there. Spending their womanly hours being waited on, but who was he to judge.

“It is such a pleasure to have you here,” Madam Kim lifted the glass to her painted lips. Took barely a sip and set it back down. “This is herbal tea I had brought from Manchuria. It’s known to have substances to improve the body’s system. You work so hard and travel so far, it is important to take care of yourself.”

“Yes,” he politely nodded. “Thank you for your consideration.”

Lifting her palm up, she urged, “Please, drink.”

Chanyeol took a sip of the tea burning his tongue in the process. The woman was beaming from ear to ear when he put the glass down.

“How long till you have to set out again?” She wondered.

“I’m not sure.”

“Then that is good.” She grinned. “The more time you can spend with Chunghee, for who knows how long you will be gone next. She’s such a delicate girl.”

Chanyeol did nothing but smile because he had no words to offer.

“How is your mother?” She abruptly changed the subject.

He glanced at her warily. “She’s healthy the last we talked.”

“Please, invite her some time,” Madam Kim insisted. “It would be so lovely to meet her.”

“Yes.” He didn’t plan to. Meeting his mother only meant one thing.

Chanyeol excused himself after finishing his tea. Retreating to his room and locked himself up. Praying no one else would call for him today. Breathing a sigh, he stalked over to the bed and sat down. His eyes unexpectedly landed on the shoe he’d left on the nearby table last night.

He shouldn’t think about it. On urge he peered at the shoe again. Reaching for it impulsively, he held the shoe in his hand. Running his thumb over the embroidery. Laying down he stared up at the ceiling subconsciously gripping the shoe in his hand.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Nearly a week had passed. The girls bantered. Each visiting him one by one. Inviting him on strolls throughout their father’s home. The sick Madam Lin invited him to her quarters for lunch one day. He sat surrounded by all three women. The two daughters hurling discreet insults about the other cousins in front of him. Trying to impress him with their coy manners. It was the eldest daughter, Haein, whose personality rubbed off strongest. And it was she who her mother was pushing toward him. Being the eldest daughter meant she was first in line for marriage. Finding a potential suitor for her was her mother’s priority and also a competition between the madams whose daughter would successfully hook up with him first.

Marrying him meant linking him even closer to the family. Updating the particular madam’s status in the household and that was as much as giving her power over everyone else, because her daughter was his wife. It would mean said madam would no longer be bossed around or looked down. Her daughter’s significant rise in status would also mean the madam’s place in the household went up one level.

Regardless which women or daughter succeeded would not elevate uncle Haejin’s place, but because Chunghee was his first daughter and Madam Kim the first wife he had priority to heed them first and foremost. Madam Kim, who ran household duties and oversaw the other madam’s decisions was at the head of the trope.

Right now, all the women were seeking to topple her. In order to manage it, they needed him.

“I recently learned to play the gayageum,” Haein gloated. “Would you like to learn a couple’s tune with me sometime?”

“Elder sister is a top player,” Haeji bragged. “Even Chunghee can’t beat her.”

Softly murmuring some kind of giggle, Madam Lin said, “The gayageum is a refined instrument in our time. It is important for all women and men to know such music. I would be honored if our general accepts my daughter’s request.”

Suddenly placed in some kind of awkward corner, Chanyeol half-smiled. “Perhaps, some other time.”

In the Jin household, he was a mere guest. Refusing an offer from one of the madams was as similar to embarrassing his mother. She would be the source of blame for raising him to be rude and headstrong. Chanyeol would not shame her.

Prime Minister Jin, even if he was a distant uncle, as Minseok said, could make him an outcast for hurting his family members. Even if it was with a mere scratch of a word. Standing at a powerful position in the city uncle Haejin managed town affairs. Consulted with messengers sent from the king’s orders. His complex web of high-status friends would always back him and come to his aid. Every one of them housing their own tiny troops of guards and soldiers.

Chanyeol always had to be on the tip of his toes around the women. He could avoid being used in their plays yet also had to pretend to play along.

“General! General!” a male servant rushed through the open doorway into the room. Bowing courteously at the women before turning to him, “the Prime Minister is looking for you. There is an urgent message.”

“It looks like I should leave.” Chanyeol mentally breathed a sigh of relief. How much would he be condemned if he let it show on his face.

“Of course. It must be important,” Madam Lin smiled. Nodding, “Please go on.”

Leaving the Lin quarters with a slow pace Chanyeol only sped up when he was around the corner and out of sight. His uncle was waiting for him in his estate. Sitting behind his sharp desk.

“I heard you were in the middle of a meal at Madam Lin’s.” his uncle started.

“We were finished.” Chanyeol told. “I heard there was a message.”

“Ah…yes,” his uncle said, “there’s a riot in Gobu. The minister is requesting aid to calm it.”

“Gobu?” Chanyeol repeated. That was near Gangneung, where the bathhouse was located. Less than half a day’s trip away from the village. His heart took a leap.

“Will you go?”

“Yes!” he immediately answered excitedly. Catching himself, he answered in a calmer manner, “I will leave right away.”

“I will let him know.”

Exiting the manor, Chanyeol raced back to his quarters. Barging into his room. Hurriedly packing his belongings and dashing toward the horse stalls. Thinking more about the bathhouse than taking care of the riot ensuing. His pace decreased when he saw Minseok preparing his stallion for what appeared like a ride.

“Where are you going?” Chanyeol asked as one of the horses snorted.

“Why, of course, with you.” Minseok grinned.

The tripping of his heart halted. Finally noticing his friend’s luggage sitting on the floor nearby a heap of shredded hay.

“Oh…”

Sun’s long neck, Minseok led him out of the stable. “Gobu, huh?” Looking at him with those playful eyes, he grinned, “Now that I think of it, isn’t it close to Gangneung where we stayed?”

Chanyeol turned away to saddle his horse up. Afraid that his home friend might be able to read his expression. He murmured, “I think it is.”

Grabbing his luggage and slinging the material over his shoulder, Minseok climbed onto Sun. Grabbing the reins, “Lets stop by the bathhouse.”

He blinked. Clicked the saddle. Felt his finger brush across the horse’s strong torso. Recalling the shoe he had slipped into his bag. For a moment assuming it would just be him making this trip by himself.

Thrilled to be returning to the bathhouse for another encounter.

Just to see a face.

And no one would know.

Forcibly swallowing the bitter taste of disappointment, Chanyeol turned. Hopefully appearing composed, “Should we?”

“I need to buy another jar of healing balm,” Minseok said. Tilting his head, “Or maybe get it back from the bathhouse girl if she hasn’t used it all.” Mischievously glancing at him, he stated, “It seems like we’ll be seeing each other after all.”

Chanyeol darted his eyes away. Suddenly growing uncertain about the events about to unfold.


***eeek...PM's Jin's household is filled with its own drama. The Jin family's power dynamics are about roll in for ChanJoo in the future

***Minseok unintentionally ruining it all heh