That’s so us [ Final ]

The Hahmpark ( EunMin Shots Collection )

That's so us - Chapter 3 : When I am here 

 

Eunjung’s POV 

 

It all happens in just a blink of eyes, like a one of those fictional scenes you probably have seen in several movies or those real video footages you came across on video channels. Before your eyes, everything happens way too fast, too soon for you to be aware of possible danger coming your way so you’re just standing there helplessly until you see the brightest light, a knight in shining armor coming your way for your rescue. The only difference is, in my case, it’s my best friend, who was there to save my life.

It was right after a long line waiting for red bean fish cake, it was finally my turn, I paid for them. Satisfied getting what I wanted, I was ready to go back where Hyomin was, or at least where she was before I decided leave her and her new friend alone, but I figured I didn’t have to go back there anymore when among the crowd I noticed her, Hyomin was right there smiling, our distance grew smaller as she was approaching me, I was returning a smile which soon only turned into a frown, I got confused because all of sudden, horror was written all over Hyomin’s face, I couldn’t register what was going on, without a notice, Hyomin with incredible speed, came rushing my way, her hands reaching out to grab my arms, before I got knocked down into the ground with her falling on the top of me and the next thing I heard was commotion of loud thud and people screaming.

Are you guys alright

Does anyone get hurt?

Oh thanks God

Loud footstep echoing in my ears, then I felt many pairs of arms reaching out for us, Hyomin was held up first, followed by me. Soon a crowd gathered at the scene, some offered help while some just stared, by the time we got on our feet, I heard some of them sighed in relief.

“Are you alright?” We asked at the same time once we were back to our senses, I saw worry reflecting in her eyes the same way I did.

“I am okay, how about you? Are you hurt somewhere? I scanned for any physical injury which to my relief, I found none.

“I’m totally fine” Hyomin confirmed, brushing dust and dirt away from her clothes

“Are you sure you didn’t hurt somewhere? She asked again, worry was clear in her tone

“I’m positive, just minor scratches I guess, but I’m more than alright” I assured, she just nodded.

After making sure that we didn’t need further assistance, people started to walk off from the scene leaving us alone.

" Phew ! Thanks Goodness, we missed it, otherwise…. ” Hyomin stared at the broken pieces of steel landed just few step away from us.

“We may not be standing here talking” I finished her sentence. I couldn’t imagine what if we have not made it, the thought of it scared me to my bone, not that I worried about myself though, I would have gone crazy if something ever happened to her.

I turned to look at Hyomin, I found she was spacing out with her blank expression, literally resembled a lost puppy, I had no idea what was going on in her mind but the sight vaguely pained my heart, as brave as her action was, she was scared too. I reached out to give a gentle pat on her head, which earned her reaction, she slowly turned to look at me, our eyes met for a second before she broke them away

“Life is so unpredictable, isn’t it? It was like just half an hour ago that we were having fun, strolling around” Hyomin started a deep conversation, I didn’t see it coming.

“Mm, nobody knows, and we are not really promised tomorrow” I said

“This is crazy right?” She mumbled, I nodded, agreed, sometimes things happened for a reason, but too crazy reason.

“Thank you for saving me” I wished I could express more

“Don’t mention it” Hyomin dismissed

“I really mean it” I said

“If that isn’t what friends are for then I don’t know what is” Hyomin chuckled

“I genuinely don’t know if I would be as brave as you are” I admitted

“Nah, I know you’d do the same for me” Hyomin said confidently

“I rather wish for you to be safe and sound” I said

“Mm, knock on wood” She said

“But you know what, I do owe you” I reminded her, she shook her head, disapproved

There was a paused silence until I heard Hyomin say again

“Then you know what, you can treat me a lunch” She grinned playfully

“Well, why not, pick wherever you want, everything is on me” I told

“Cool, I’m starving now” She smiled, happy

 

In no time, we left the market and now we’re back on the road, on our way to a café for the lunch. As a way to clear our minds from recent incident, we decide to roll down the windows, breathing in the fresh despite the cold weather of early January, which is not a joke, chill is everywhere in the air. Hyomin is driving at minimum speed to make sure we do enjoy the cool breeze than freezing ourselves, soon after we go a distance, as I think we have nothing to worry, I start to notice the change of the atmosphere inside the car, silence creeping in, humming tune fades, Hyomin becomes oddly quiet, and if my eyes aren’t deceiving, I believe I see her right hand holding on a steering wheel is shaking.

“Are you cold?” I, for some reasons, don’t feel good about what I see

“I think so” Hyomin replies, her lips are trembling causing her voice to crack a bit

“You’re freezing, let get windows up” I suggest, my gaze follows her every little move

And now even with window up, and heater on, yet Hyomin’s hand continues to shake, it raises concern in me, and it’s not easy to shake it away

“Stop the car please” I command

It’s clear to me that something is off, Hyomin follows obediently, slowly pulling up a car to the side of the road. I instantly reach out to check on her hand, she winces at my touch, my eyes are widened as I take a closer look, her hand is apparently swollen, some of her fingers turn black and blue, and I hiss at the sight

“It doesn’t look great” I shake my head, disbelief

“Must be really painful?” As silly as a question sounds when it’s obvious, I still ask her out of concern

“A bit” She answers, unconvinced, and I am not buying it but I have no time for arguing now

“Let’s switch” I don’t wait for her protest or any answer as I swiftly get out of a car and walk over to the driver side. I gesture her to move aside, Hyomin climbs to a passenger seat where I was sitting earlier, as soon as I take control over the steering wheel, I accelerate the speed of the car.

“Where are you going?” Hyomin frowns when she notices a change of direction

“For sure we are not going to a café, we need to get your hand x-rayed, it doesn’t look great” I inform calmly, opposite from the voice inside my head that is screaming worry. I assume Hyomin must be suffering a terrible pain when she falls silent again, that’s not her, she would normally refuse to go to such a place but a fact that she doesn’t even protest and gives in way too easily ,confirms the fear that was sitting on a pit of my stomach.

“Why didn’t you tell me, do you realize how bad it is? You should have told me and we could have gone sooner” I try not to sound like I’m scolding her, though I feel like to, and I don’t know why we intend to do so, when our loved one is already suffering from physical pain, we hurt them more with words, it doesn’t make sense right, but I guess that’s how people taking out their frustrate when they feel helpless, and there’s nothing they can do but worry.

“I don’t know” Hyomin sighs

“What?”

“I didn’t feel anything earlier, I mean only numbness, it was numb, pain just kicks in recently” She explains while cupping her hand right by a left one. I gulf at her explanation as my head process the possibility of her symptom

‘Hang in there” I wish I could do more but I just can’t

 

--------------------------

 

Waiting outside the x-ray room, Eunjung’s head is getting frenzy from reliving all events, how things can happen a lot in half day. It started from a morning wake-up, our peaceful drive, a carefree strolling and a joy of spending time together at the market, vivid memory of Hyomin running around taking photos happily, a new face who took her attention, an accident that could be worse if Hyomin was there to save her, our plan for fun lunch, and ended up with an unexpected visit to a city hospital.

She slides her phone to see a couple of missed calls from her boyfriend, she didn’t mean to ignore them earlier but she was busy filling the patient’s form for Hyomin when they got there. Hyomin was quite surprised at a newfound talent of Eunjung, how she could remember every details about her, down from her current addresses, how to spell her parents’ names correctly, not to mention her blood type, food and medicine she is allergic to, most and foremost her social security number, Eunjung wrote down every details without even a slight effort to turn and ask Hyomin as if they were all recorded on her head.

Eunjung contemplates whether to call him back, she is mentally tired and doesn’t feel like talking to anyone just yet and her second option wins when she slides her phone back to her bag, she is not in the mood, and all she could care is a person behind that door, Eunjung was praying for serious nothing.

 

Once the door to x-ray room is opened, Hyomin is walking out with her sheepish smile, when she finds Eunjung sitting there waiting, Eunjung can’t tell if it’s good or bad news, her friend’s face looks paler than before she entered the room, her guess is because Hyomin is naturally afraid of a doctor, but that doesn’t lessen her worry until they get to see the result of x-ray.

Shortly after, the x-ray result is out, and Eunjung realizes that her prayer isn’t answered when the diagnosis is confirmed that Hyomin is suffering from bone fractures at hand and fingers, and required an urgent surgery.

Surprisingly, Hyomin is taking news calmly, that’s supposed to be Eunjung’s place, she’s normally like that, but this time table seems to turn, and Eunjung is the opposite. It’s either guilt, overwhelming emotion or the thought of Hyomin going through great physical pain that hits her soft spot, Eunjung becomes quiet for a different reason, she chokes of words and feels the lumps in , with her last attempt to hold back, Eunjung tries sending back those tears that threaten to fall

“I’m sorry” Eunjung lowers her head, guilt starts to kick her.

“You have nothing to be sorry for ” Hyomin refuses her apology

“Yeah, I do, it’s my fault” Eunjung insists

“It’s not” Hyomin disapproves

“If it wasn’t for me, you wouldn’t have broken your hand, it’s absolutely my fault” Eunjung is going nowhere but blaming herself

“Listen, it was just an accident, none of us wishes it happened but now it did, luckily it’s just hand, you know it could have been worse” Hyomin tries to reason but it’s really not helping Eunjung already bears a guilt at the bottom of her heart.

“It could have been me instead then” Eunjung’s voice is getting cracked

“You know I would never let it happen if I could keep it from happening, I would do” Hyomin says, “ It’s not something I should be glad for but I’m genuinely happy I did it”

Eunjung looks up to face Hyomin, the younger gives her a dry smile, and that when she comes to her breaking point, she can’t hold it any longer point, she fails to stay strong, and let her tear fall.

At this rate, while Hyomin is fighting back the pain, Eunjung is distressing out with guilt, crying. Instead of comforting her younger friend, Eunjung’s being comforted, she feels Hyomin’s free hand, one that is not injured, rubbing her back, and with one arm, Hyomin succeeds in pulling Eunjung into her hug and whispers softly to reassure her or both of them.

“I’m gonna be alright”

 

 

A week went by since the accident and Hyomin is on her way to recover, it’s just a beginning when she will have three more weeks or at least that what doctor estimated until her bones are completely healed. Hyomin only learns now that simple things she did only daily basis become ridiculously difficult and takes her so much effort and energy. She is only allowed to use right hand, that’s simply the pain for a left-handed person like her while she is prohibited to use the injured hand at all cost, not like she could too, as it’s all protected in cast. Somehow, Hyomin considers herself lucky to have her best friend around, Eunjung could be found wherever Hyomin was, the older sticks around assisting the her as much as she can, or say, for almost every little things, sometimes she finds it a bit way too much but she is not in a position to complain.

 

“I can eat by myself” Hyomin protests

“You won’t be able to finish your food before it gets cold” Eunjung argues

“Who cares, I need to get used to using my left hand, at least for next 3 weeks” Hyomin struggles with her left hand

“We can worry about it later, meanwhile, just let me help” Eunjung insists

“Seriously, I need to practice, you can’t go around feeding me Eunjung” Hyomin tries her best not to sound offended

“That’s not a problem, if you want me to, it’s a very least I can do for you” Eunjung offers

“We are not on this again” Hyomin has enough of hearing Eunjung blaming herself

“Fine” Sensing unimpressed tone from Hyomin, Eunjung chooses to shut up

“See I can manage with my left hand” Hyomin smiles, proud, she successfully rolls spaghetti on a fork and feed s herself

Avoiding to embarrass her friend in public, Eunjung waits until she can’t stand seeing Hyomin struggling to eat with her left hand any longer that she steps in to assist the latter, but Hyomin keeps refusing it, and stubbornly getting by on her own, which causes them a bickering , Bae Joohyun, behind the counter, can’t help but finds it adorable.

As promised, Hyomin eventually made it back to Joohyun’s café before they are set to leave for Seoul the next day, and of course with Eunjung’s being tagged along, given that she had to drive the latter around, even though she didn’t, Hyomin would bring her here anyway for there are some menus she wanted to recommend to her best friend.

After having chance to talk to a beautiful cafe owner, Eunjung learns that Bae Joohyun is a very interesting person, beside her goddess-like beauty, she possesses personalities and charms that anyone could fall for, and Eunjung is not surprised if Hyomin could befriend with her in such a short period of time, they have many things in common. Although Eunjung likes Joohyun too as a friend, Eunjung can’t ignore a subtle feeling inside her, how could she not know what it is, it came knocking on her door once, it happened back in college day when Hyomin agreed to go on date with a senior after his long persistence.

The world is too cruel so Eunjung just can’t be naïve. It’s not like she just realized it now either, Eunjung has come to understand such weird feeling inside her heart long time ago, but back then they were young and life had so much to offer, Hyomin deserved to have so much more. Also, Eunjung learnt that love had a huge price to pay when relationship didn’t work out, like Hyomin and her senior, they didn’t even talk anymore now. Eunjung couldn’t imagine not having Hyomin in her life, it sadden her.

Joohuyn drops by to chat with them again when they are only two of them left, it took them longer than usual to finish their lunch. It never stops to amaze both Eunjung and Hyomin how come a well-round person like Joohyun, who has more than choices to open café wherever she wants or where there are more numbers of population, chose to settle in this small town, where most young people at their age would run away from.

“I like the peace and privacy this place has to offer” That what a beautiful owner of this café said

To think about it, Eunjung has to agree with her at some point. That’s probably a reason why her parents and Hyomin’s decided to live here permanently. Their parents both moved here for the similar reasons, they were working for government, and they were stationed in this small town, Eunjung’s parents came since she was little while Hyomin’s parents moved here when Hyomin was eleven, but never moved back to busy city even after they were retired. Eunjung doubts if she would come back and settle down here one day.

While they are enjoying chatting, a door is opened, indicating a new customer entering, Joohyun excuses herself to welcome her customer. Just then Hyomin’s eyebrows turn to knot when she notices Joohyun standing there frozen, her gawk then changes from the café’ owner to a new comer, for she looks oddly familiar despite being covered in her cap and mask. Eunjung notices Hyomin unwavering gaze, she turns around and watches the two people standing in front of each other silent.

Hyomin and Eunjung exchange the looks and say

“Do you think she is?”

“Im Yoona”

 

***************************

 

Eunjung’s POV

One by one, I cross the things out of my mental lists as I go through my stuff, making sure I don’t forget anything behind, it’s not a big deal if I do because it’s optional to have my parents sent them to me, but save that for last. Closing my last bag, I look around my room one last time, it comes a day we have to leave.

After I’m done with my luggage, I decide to go to wake Hyomin up. It takes me less than a minute walking from my parent’s house to Hyomin’s, it used to take only some seconds with our secret passage back then but we don’t use it anymore when we grow up. As I enter their house, I walk to kitchen to greet her parents in the kitchen first and then walk straight into her room, on the second floor to the right. Literally, I can walk with my eyes close and still find her room

It’s easy to figure if Hyomin is still asleep or awake, you just give a few knocks on the door and if it’s no answer coming out of it, it means a heavy sleeper like her can’t barely hear it, that comes to her habit of not locking her door for she was afraid her mother wouldn’t be able to get in to wake her up and she would be late for school. And nothing changes for her, I open the door to her bedroom there she is, sleeping soundly , unaware of intruder like me, at some point, it comes to my worry about her heavy sleeping though but save that to preach her latter, I have my mission to do, and that is waking up , one of my favorite things.

It all began from a day when Hyomin’s mother asked me to wake her daughter up for breakfast, with all my determined plan to jump on her bed and shake her awake, I failed completely when I saw her sleeping soundly, she was smiling in her sleep, at that moment I knew I couldn’t take her wonderful dream from her, it would be cruel, and I couldn’t bring myself to do so I decided to sit there and waited until later to wake her up, but after my first attempt, I simply watched her sleep until she was awake or wake up by her own, and without me knowing, it developed into my habit, a habit of studying her facial features while she was sleeping, and the more I did, deeper I found something I missed to see when we were younger, she was beautiful.

And today, just like always, I move her study chair closer to her bed edge and give her a little more time before I wake her up. I watch her sleeping soundly as her chest rises up and down accordingly to the rhythm of her breath, her hair that falls everywhere on her pillow, the bridge of her nose and her lips.

“How long have you been here?” Hyomin’s voice brings me back, she rubs her eyes groggily, yawning a couple time

“Just now” I shrug, honestly losing track of time

“Oh is that so? I can do much better now” Hyomin awes, proud of herself for beating her record

“You’re still heavy sleeper” I comment

“I’m not” She denies, “At least not anymore”

“Then do it better when I knock on the door next time” I challenge

“You’ll see” She is confident

“Anyway, now that you’re up, my duty is done” I announce

“Like you’ve done much” Hyomin scoffs softly

“Huh?” I furrow my eyebrow

“I say thank you for waking me up” She fakes repeating herself

“That sounds not very genuine, but you’re welcome” I grin “I’ll bring your luggage to my car, and have sometimes with my parents, call me when you are done” I inform her.

“Thank you, I’ll be quick” Hyomin sits up right

“Just take your time, no pressure” I examine her casted hand “How do you feel?”

“Oh, this? So much better now” She says, “Actually there is nothing to worry, plus I am more skilled with my right hand now, ” She explains

“Glad to hear that, but let me remind you this: don’t you dare thinking of doing things you are not allowed” I warn her, knowing her too well

“I know I know” She swings her legs off her bed, and about to make her bed

“Just leave it there, I’ll do it” I offer

“Nah, I can do it, just go ahead and do your things” Hyomin refuses my offer

“It won’t take long, just go shower already” I snatch a blanket from her, she gives in, before turning to grab her towel and before we know it, I’m done with making her bed.

“Alright I’ll shower now, please go back and spend sometimes with uncle and aunty, it will be a while since you see them again” Hyomin becomes soft at last past

“Um, I know” I say, “Oh, and don’t forget your medicines by the way” I remind her

“They are on my shoulder bag already” She enters the bathroom

“Hey, be careful in there” I ask or more like shouting

“Eunjung, off you go already!” She shouts back from her bathroom,

“Aright, I’m leaving” I hesitate, hoping not to hear any thud sound

“I’m gonna be alright, may you go now and shut the door please” She continues

“I’m off now and see you shortly” I then close the door shut for her, I can imagine her giggling now

----------------

It really comes a time to say goodbye to my parents, my comfort , my support and everything. We give each other a long lasting hug, while my mom keeps asking me to take a good care of myself, I promise her over and over but it doesn’t satisfy her so it takes me a bit longer until she let me go. It’s always that bittersweet kind of feeling, one that mixed of shallow and heartfelt emotion when I turn my back to this place, but life goes on and I’ve gotta do what I have to, for leading my own life, I drive my car out of the front yard and stop by shortly in front of Hyomin’s family asset where I see her repeating my pattern, biding goodbye to her parents too. I’m here to pick her up, as we agreed, I’m driving her back to Seoul and we will have her car sent to her later, we can worry about that later, cause she’s not gonna use it soon anyway.

“Nothing you leave behind?” I check for one last time

“I guess” Hyomin answers

With that, we set out for a journey to face our reality world and leave this comfort behind, it’s not easy but what make leaving home less hard, is when you have a company, and that’s what I’ve always got with me all along, I don’t really know what I would do without Hyomin, her existence is so precious to me, and that’s why I try so hard to keep it and not to let anything ruin what we have.

 

***************************

 

Hyomin stood there looking down from her bedroom’s window, two figures were seemingly having a heat conversation at her front gate, Soohuyn standing with his back against his car, and Eunjung crossing her arms, pacing a bit, it was not hard to figure that they were arguing over something and Hyomin doubted it has something to do with Eunjung sticking around with her way too much. Although, it has a week since they have returned Seoul, Eunjung has shown no sign of leaving her side, she has been staying over at Hyomin’s house and she was only out for work while Hyomin stayed home for a full recovery, but after work and on weekend, they would be seen hanging around everywhere, at shopping mall, café, beauty salon, art gallery etc.

Hyomin can’t deny that she is happy to spend time doing everything together with Eunjung and she is making the most out of it, but this also means Eunjung get to spend less time with her boyfriend and leads to such a fight, the last thing she wanted to see is Eunjung being unhappy, so she just can’t let it affect her best friend’s life, not when it starts to take toll over her relationship, Hyomin can’t be that selfish.

 

“I think I’ll start going back to work next week” Hyomin starts the conversation as she flicks through TV channels, garners Eunjung’s attention, who was busily typing away on her phone

“Don’t you have to wait another next two weeks til’ your hand is expected to be completely healed? I don’t know if that’s a good idea, and I would ask you to reconsider” Eunjung reasons, her voice is between concern and rational

“I’m bored of staying in and doing nothing, I assume the restaurant must be busy by now, and I feel bad for my assistant who is substituting me” Hyomin speaks out her thoughts

“Believe me they will be fine…un… without you, at least for this moment, and nobody is going to blame you, they understand your condition, just wait till you’re really ready to get back, what if you hurt yourself even more, you know kitchen is pretty dangerous too, I don’t trust you can hold yourself back from using a knife, and I doubt if using knife with your unskilled hand could be safe either, so I’m against it at all cost” Eunjung brings up everything she could to convince Hyomin and make her change her mind.

“I don’t know” Hyomin sighs in defeat, she knows Eunjung is right.

“Just relax, you almost get there, so be patient, you don’t want to rush it, just only to find that you have to wear this thingy longer, don’t you?” Eunjung concludes for them before going back to her phone

Hyomin looks down on her cast around her finger up to her wrist, then back to Eunjung, she notices how stressed Eunjung appears to, the event of this evening comes back to her mind, she thinks about buying some more time, but she reconsiders it now.

“If you are bored how about we go out on weekend doing something fun but of course safe” Eunjung suggests while her eyes are still glued to her phone.

“Eunjung”

“Huh?”

Eunjung pays her attention back to Hyomin and waits

“By any chance, are you guys fighting, I mean you and Soohyun? Hyomin cautiously asks as to not to make it sound like she is prying her friend’s privacy way too much, Eunjung knows she can’t lie or hide it from her friend.

“Um, kind of” Eunjung answers, “Nothing particular serious though, just random silly things”

“Do you have something to admit to your best friend?” Hyomin wants to help to get thing of Eunjung’s chest

“There’s nothing and you don’t have to worry about, I’ll take care of it” Eunjung obviously tries to drop a conversation but Hyomin doesn’t, she carries on.

“Does it have something to do with you spending less time with him?” Hyomin queries “And more time with me?” The last sentence is so thin that Eunjung almost misses it

“Don’t be silly” Eunjung snarls, “He needs to be more understanding”

Eunjung doesn’t deny nor she accept it that they were fighting over “time”, but Hyomin beleieves her sense is right, judging from the way Eunjung tries not to look straight into her eyes.

“Put yourself in his shoes, what’s the point of dating if you don’t even spend time with him? Hyomin points out

It’s supposed to sound like a best friend advice to solve a problem, but Eunjung doesn’t find it necessary, she is being clouded by her emotional feeling, and tends to interpret Hyomin’s meaning one way or another.

“Since when you stop siding your best friend and jump into a conclusion to blame her instead” Eunjung shoots her sarcasm, disappointment is shown on her face, Hyomin gulfs down but she can’t lose it now

“I’m not saying it’s your fault in this fight but I want you to see the insight of the issue” Hyomin tries to reason but it doesn’t seem Eunjung even listen to what she doesn’t want to hear

“Then what are you trying to say here? Just tell me what you want ” Eunjung doesn’t like where their conversation leads to, it’s very unconventional that they started their own fight over someone else

“Do I need to explain?” Hyomin snaps impatiently “Look, I know you feel guilty about me being injured, but you don’t have to be around me all the time, I’m fine and I can manage thing on my own, you’ve got your life too, go live it and spend more time with him”

Hyomin’s choices of word isn’t helping, Eunjung is hurt by her best friend’s indirect rejection, she feels like being pushed away now, at least that what Eunjung got for interpreting her “you’ve got your life to, go live it”

“Seriously, do you really think I’m here just because I feel guilty and try to make it up to you?” Eunjung sounds hurt

“That’s not what I try to mean Eunjung, you know it” Hyomin explains, she doesn’t mean to hurt Eunjung but she can’t leave it hanging like this too, Eunjung waits expectantly for what Hyomin has to say

“I know you care, but I think I need my space, so you do” Hyomin forces herself to say it even it hurts “Don’t get stuck with me” Her last sentence fades out

She needs her space

“Right, if that’s what you want, I’ll go” Eunjung smiles dryly, she grabs her phone and walks out of Hyomin’s living room, the door is slam shut but Hyomin doesn’t flinch.

She urges to call after Eunjung, begging her to wait and stay, but her consciousness does otherwise, she hopes she is doing the right thing

She let her go

The whole house became dread silent again, much to Hyomin’s dislike, but there is not much she can do, she sprawls out in her couch, having no strength to move, there’s not point of going back and sleep properly in her bedroom, this is too lonely and she is not going to be able to bear it. In the silence of the night, the only source of the sound Hyomin can hear is her weep, followed by her heartbreak.

 

***************************

 

Jiyeon is checking though a list on a phone carefully, while talking on a phone wirelessly through her newest device, she starts to get annoyed of her friend for being too fussy but she is not really going to get mad at her, she just wants to have some fun bickering with her

“Please make sure you get everything in the list”

“Trust me, it’s not difficult and I can’t possibly get them wrong”

“And for milk….”

“I got it”

“You did't let me finish”

“I’m confident what you were going to say”

“Confidence gets you everywhere”

“Likewise, coward gets you nowhere”

“Eh, is that how you speak to your unnie?”

“I have every right to say anything to a person who asks me to do her a ton of favors”

“Aish, what with the complaint, she is your friend too, can’t you do that for her?”

“Nothing I complain here is about her, all speaks about you”

“Yah, Park Jiyeon”

“Well, well Eunjung unnie, should I remind you I bail on a meeting with my possible client who is likely to purchase my thousands million worth painting just to run a grocery shopping for you?

Jiyeon giggles, she knows she holds a better card, she is sure she is going to win this argument, and Eunjung won’t even have a chance.

“That’s are for Hyomin though” Eunjung softly speaks

“But you asked me to get them for her while she herself doesn’t even know I’m going to visit her with such handful of grocery bags of her favorite things” Jiyeon grins with her signature mischief

“Remember they are from you” Eunjung corrects her friend or at least that’s what she wants Hyomin to understand.

“As if she wouldn’t notice” Jiyeon argues

“You know her as much as I do for her favorites” Eunjung convinces

“Um, I don’t want to give you credit for this, but not half of your list here I did realize she likes them until now” Jiyeon confesses, there’s a pause on the phone line, “But for you, I’ll keep this between us”

“Thank you Jiyeon” Eunjung says it finally

“Actually it’s not a problem but seriously unnie, you guys should talk already, it’s very unusual of you not seeing eyes to eyes this long, it never lasts a day let alone one week” Jiyeon sighs

“It’s not my choice, and I respect her” Eunjung says, sadly

“Unnie, I don’t think any of you are happy that thing turned out this way, perhaps Hyomin unnie is not mad at you anymore” Jiyeon comments

“I know, to be honest, I don’t think she even get mad at me” Eunjung explains

“I don’t understand, why aren’t you guys talking to each other then?” Jiyeon gets confused, mentally massages her temples.

“Just give her time, I’m sure she will when she is ready” Eunjung reasons, “Meanwhile I have a lot to do too”

“You guys are really, unnie” Jiyeon shakes her head in disbelief.

“Nah, don’t worry, before you know it you’ll see us hanging out already” Eunjung assures her younger friend

“You know I always have your back” Jiyeon, always wants to help them but she knows them better.

“Thanks Jiyeon” Eunjung says “Oh, and please send me the amount you spend for, I’ll pay you back” Eunjung feels truly grateful

“Of course, I’ll do. You know what, all the things you order me to buy are ridiculously not cheap, and I’ll going to charge you a lot” Jiyeon jokes

“Uh, says that by a billionaire artist” Eunjung comments playfully.

“Whatever, I’m gonna hang up now, I need to check the list again to make sure Hyomin gets the best of everything” Jiyeon scans stuff in her shopping trolley

“Oh and please don’t forget to put those stuff into her fridge for her” Eunjung reminds

“Unnie, if you are not hanging up now, I swear I’ll put these stuff back into their shelves” Jiyeon threatens

Their conversation ends there and Jiyeon can only shake her head, that’s her unnie. If anyone believes that Eunjung can stay mad at Hyomin for long, she begs to differ. She might not be with them from the start, but their college life and strong bond shared though years allows her to see Eunjung and Hyomin in her perspective, their friendship is different from all of them, “Special kind” if she would put it into word, it might be the fact they have known each other since very young age, but still, Jiyeon has witnessed special treatment both of them delicately shown it though their every little acts, and if that’s not love, Jiyeon doesn’t know what it is.

Jiyeon smiles before hitting a call button to a real estate broker

“Guess what Qri unnie, I’m a lucky one today” Jiyeon rolls her eyes, she can hear Qri laughing on her phone

“What is the mission?” Qri asks nonchalantly as if she knows it coming

“Grocery shopping” Jiyeon answers

“That’s very interesting” Qri laughs

“Yeah, very. I had to bail on my client for this” Jiyeon complained, Qri laughs again

“Nah, that’s what friends are for” Qri reminds

“For me yes, but for them no” Jiyeon mocks

“Just let them be” Qri suggests

“I wonder who is next” Jiyeon ponders

“Not many choices left” Qri counts many how friends who she hasn’t heard Eunjung asked them a favor to do something, not for her own but Hyomin. “Until then”

“We’ll see”

-----------------

Later that day

“Seriously Jiyeon”

Eunjung sighs, shaking her head disapprovingly at a scene before her, two women are in states which Eunjung can’t tell how much they’ve drank to be completely passed out just like that.

“She said she wanted to cheer her up” Qri speaks on Jiyeon’s behalf because she wouldn’t have chance to do so

“What’s a way to cheer someone up” Eunjung shoots sarcasm

“What do you expect from this two Park?” Qri comments “Don’t ever leave them alone”

Qri and Eunjung shake their heads and laughs

“How long have they been drinking?” Eunjung asks Qri who came a bit earlier than her.

“I’ve got a text from Jiyeon around 4 p.m saying that she was out with Hyomin for happy hour drink and invited me to join later” Qri explains “But I’ve received tons of messages from that kid rushing me to come over around 10 p.m and you know Jiyeon wouldn’t do that if she’s not drunk”

“Excellent” Eunjung snaps

“So what do we do now?” Qri asks

“Would you mind to drive Jiyeon home?” Eunjung asks

“That’s what I planned to do, so you can take Hyomin back” Qri suggests

“Deal” Eunjung agrees

“ Eunjung, I’m sorry to call you in the middle of your date, if I knew you were out I wouldn’t disturb you” Qri feels apologetic

“No, it’s nothing; actually I’m glad you called me first unnie, thank you really” Eunjung sends Qri a smile, telling her nothing to be sorry for.

Qri never doubts it and will never, it’s quite clear about the choice Eunjung made, from then and now. Who would ever think a sweet and polite girl like Eunjung would dare to punch a guy who verbally abused Hyomin in their class full of college students and professor which cost Eunjung a knuckle bruise and disciplinary action. Eunjung who pretended to get sick and gave up on her trip award, because Hyomin wasn’t in the eligible list who could go. And it was a same Eunjung, the best employee of the year, who almost ran out of her meeting room, taking her emergency leave to be seen at the amusement park with her best friend who was breaking down on her should for her break-up and who would cancel on a boyfriend just to follow her best friend back to their hometown, Qri has seen them all, and she believes Eunjung isn’t a fool either, but what she doesn’t understand is what Eunjung is thinking.

----------------

After a pub, it’s not an easy task for Eunjung to bring Hyomin to her bedroom alone without the help from other, so once she succeeds doing so, she couldn’t be more grateful that they didn’t break their back, falling down on their butts.

Who’s gonna bring you home if it isn’t me

Eunjung slowly fixes Hyomin’s posture for more comfy sleeping position, adjusts her blanket, and gently lifts her casted hand on the top of it, hoping she won’t sleep on it. Eunjung glances at her watch, she has a bit more time before she leaves, and she spends it looking at Hyomin, with those eyes Hyomin never gets to see when she is awake; Those eyes that are as brighter as starlight, as clearer as water, warmer than the morning sun, and speak love the most.

“Sleep tight and may nothing disturb your world in your dreamland”

Eunjung pants a chaste kiss on Hyomin’s forehead, turns off the light and leaves, hoping Hyomin will wake up fine tomorrow.

 

**********************

 

She’s supposed to be happy, it finally comes a day she was looking for, but Hyomin isn’t happy, worse she is frustrated. Hyomin moodily leaves doctor’s office with her heavy heart after she was told that her hand needed more time for healing and even so it might not be functioning well as it was used to be, that wasn’t what she expected to hear, not after she was patiently waiting so long. If her hand isn’t going to be as good as it was, then it will great affect her career and the longer she needed for healing, the longer she would be absent from work, and it would be selfish of her to ask them to wait, they’d better have a replacement, and so she made her decision.

As stubborn as she is, Hyomin is a kind of person who refuses to give up until she drops, Hyomin got a cab and went straight home, and walks into her kitchen, harshly pulls out ingredient and equipment, she reaches for a knife, and starts doing what she is sure she is best at it. She looks at her hand which now is without a cast, as she asked them to remove ignoring an advice for her to wear it longer, she doesn’t care

On the other side, Eunjung is waiting to hear any news from her friend, she scrolls down for any update pictures or any status of a particular someone, but to her disappointment, nothing is updated, the recent post was dated back 16 days ago, it’s a picture of food with a caption “Her cooking”, That Eunjung remembers she cooked for Hyomin, two days before their unpleasant fight. May be it’s time for her to stop this

She is supposed to see the doctor today and might be showing up at her work: Eunjung mindlessly thought, just then she is snapped out of it when her phone buzzes

Jung Jessica: I heard that a restaurant Hyomin worked, is looking for a new chef urgently, what the heck , 4:03 PM

Hahm Eunjung: What? I didn’t know about that : 4:03

Jung Jessica: You are no use, I just got my secretary to call and they said, their chef just quit, 4:04

Hahm Eunjung: Are you serious? 4:04

Jung Jessica: No, they are joking, they put a job advertisement just for fun, 4:05

Not many can get Jessica’s dark sarcasm, but Eunjung does, she is confused of what is going on now

Jung Jessica: You’d better check on her, I did call, she didn’t answer her phone, 4:06

Hahm Eunjung: I’ll do, thank you Jessica, 4:06

 

In no time, Eunjung is breathing in the air, inhaling it into her lung, as if it provides her encouragement that she needed, she is standing right here in front of Hyomin’s house, a car is parked right where Eunjung remembers where it was the day she left, what indicates that Hyomin didn’t even use it, is how visible you can see the dust cover around it, it didn’t move a bit. Eunjung crouches down to pick up a key hidden inside a displayed flower pot, the exact same spot.

She enters the house with her heart drumming heart, one part of her expects Hyomin to come and greet her, which could be totally awkward but that should be much better than other worse scenarios created by her fear out of worry for that fact Hyomin didn’t answer anyone’s phone call, not her though, she didn’t have the courage to initiate call but ended up coming here.

“Hyomin ah” It’s surprisingly weird how Eunjung finds calling her friend name again after a while sounds so pleasingly nice, she must miss calling her name badly.

Eunjung tends to look for Hyomin in her best room when she hears no answer, but a glance of a messy kitchen stops her, she stands there frozen, the sight is breaking her heart:

Hyomin is sitting on a kitchen floor, hugging her knees, her forehead is resting on her knees, and she’s clouded by sadness. Kitchen utensils were thrown everywhere, a used-to-be nice display of spices are misplaced, some ingredients are seen on a floor, apron was flown to the sink, a complete mess that Hyomin never likes it for her kitchen.

Eunjung slowly approaches Hyomin, alerted by her footstep, Hyomin slowly lifts her head up, where she is met by a heart wrenching expression shown on Eunjung’s face, for a moment, Hyomin looks so miles away, like she is not there, little by little the warm gaze before her brings her back.

“Eunjung, it’s over”

No response, no word of comfort is said

Eunjung is on her knee, gently wrapping her arms around Hyomin. Hyomin shifts closer and slowly rests her chin on Eunjung’s shoulder searching for the warmth in her embrace, and not until a moment later that Eunjung feels her shoulder is dampen, Hyomin starts sobbing soundlessly, but Eunjung could hear the pain, and her heart is wrenching.

“It’s not over yet, trust me”

Eunjung whispers into Hyomin’s ear before hugging her even tighter.

The words of promise and hope is given

 

 

Almost one year later

It’s a casual cold night in December, only ten more days toward New Year. Eunjung is playing around with her phone to kill her boredom, the older she gets, the more she finds partying is exhausting, it to be old .

“What’s a party blooper” Jiyeon places her hand on Eunjung’s shoulder, giving a light squeeze

“I told you I’d be fine at home” Eunjung complains

“Well, since when are you a home person?” ,Jiyeon asks

Since she’s gone

No answer is given, it rings inside Eunjung’s head instead

“Remind me again why am I even here since the first place?” Eunjung asks

“Because we don’t want you to be alone in such a merry time” Jiyeon cheers up

“As if I’m not alone here, you guys make me even lonelier” Eunjung’s eyes drifts toward each couple around her

On her left side, Taeyeon and Jessica are practically on each other lap, drunk; Across from her, Qri is sitting next to her boyfriend, who seem to converse endlessly, in their own world, of course. To her right, Jiyeon is getting on her nerve with her every annoying teases, waiting her boyfriend to come back from getting them more snacks, next from them ,on a couple seat, it’s none other than Yoona and her girlfriend, Bae Joohyun.

Speaking of the last couple, it’s almost a year since the incident at the café when Hyomin and Eunjung ran into Yoona, out of all people. Yoona, was rather shocked to see them there, while Hyomin and Eunjung were surprised, but it was’t like a merry-go-happy situation that they should just run to her and gave her a hug, judging from a level of awkwardness and tension between the actress and the café owner, they sensed something was going on, but Hyomin and Eunjung decided not to ask, and waited until their friend was ready to talk to them, but it wasn’t until three months later, Yoona decided to invite six of them to her place for her so-called party, that turned out to be an occasion to introduce Joohyun or Irene ( The name Yoona called her) to her close friends. Jessica , Taeyeon, Qri and Jiyeon were surprised, on the other hand Eunjung and Hyomin didn’t even flinch, they were happy to meet Joohyun again, then from then she has become a part of their friend circle.

It’s not like Eunjung is unhappy, she’s grateful to be spending time with these amazing people, being with them always brings her joy and heart-warming feeling, she couldn’t thank them enough, the only problem is, it makes she miss someone even more so it’s simple for her to feel even lonelier .At one point of time, Eunjung thinks she should go home, she seems to be the only one staying sober throughout the whole party, she wouldn’t mind drinking for fun if she’s not scheduled for tomorrow flight, but she is and doesn’t wish to have a hangover on the plane, let alone to miss her flight.

“ Guys, I’ve got to go”

--------------------

Eunjung is only aware of where she is, when her hand inserts a key into a lock, either her habit or familiarity, it finds its way to bring her back here

I guess I really miss you

A whole house became empty for nobody is living here now, but Eunjung often comes here to make sure it’s cleaned and maintained the same way before Hyomin left . It has been six month since the owner of this house decided to leave it behind and that’s how long Eunjung hasn’t seen Hyonmin.

Standing in the middle of the room, Eunjung’s mind drifts back to an exact moment of her and Hyomin lying on the white sand talking about dreams and future, it was before they moved to Seoul for good. She remembers Hyomin’s offer, she invited her to stay in one of the vacant rooms and share her house as housemate, but Eunjung chose to decline, for she needed own space, she needed to find herself, to make it clear about her feeling, not wanting to mistake their close bond as something else, and thinking that perhapse it could change things between them or change her heart. But later, Eunjung found herself staying over in this cozy place of Hyomin even more than her dorm, she might came up with so many sensible excuses, but deep down she knew why she wanted to stay. She missed Hyomin when she wasn’t around, feared for not knowing her whereabouts, worried that she would do something stupid without her, and always wanted to take care her as best as she could.

Eunjung ended up coming back for more.

Eunjung wonders what Hyomin could be doing right now, and she would ever cross her mind, just then she hears a sound indicating for receiving a notification, she smiles.

park_hhyomin just made a post

 

*************************

 

At a busy airport, Soohyun is leaning his back against a check-in counter waiting for his boarding-pass, his eyes roams around aimlessly until they fall at a particular person that comes into his sight, he assumes she is looking for her check-in counter with her head turning every direction, he grabs his boarding pass before going for her.

“Eunjung” Soohyun taps on Eunjung’s shoulder for her attention, she is startled at first but smiles when she sees who is it.

“Oh Soohyun” Eunjung greets

“I didn’t expect to see you here, how have you been?” His smile grows wider

“I’m great, how about you?” She returns a smile, “It has been a while”

“Yeah, still busy as ever” He shrugs

“I guess you’re going on a business trip” Eunjung judges

“Yeah, and you? Holiday?” Soohyun assumes

“Yes, kind of” Eunjung answers

“Alone?” He looks around

“Um” Eunjung nods while looks at her wristwatch,“ I don’t mean to be rude but I have to get going now”

“Ah, that’s right, don’t let me keep you and have a safe trip” He wishes

“Thank you, likewise” She waves to him, and he turned his back

They ran into each other and simply parted way just like that, none of them said they hope to see each other again, not that they hate each other or something, their break-up ended well actually, but that doesn’t mean they wanted to stay friends. After five months of seeing each other, and three months entering into relationship, when it didn’t work out, they decided to be just acquaintances, practically.

To be fair, Soohyun would make an amazing boyfriend, he is caring and gentle, he is kind of a man who would work hard to give you the moon, a perfect boyfriend anyone could wish for, the only thing is, everything he wanted from Eunjung, is everything she could never be, and all that Eunjung ever needed, she couldn’t find it in him either.

It became a meaningless memory

 

------------------------

 

After a long tiring journey, Eunjung is finally standing here in front of this address, she ranged a doorbell a couple time and is waiting patiently, despite being exhausted after long hour flight, her entire face is plastered with bright smile, stood next to her is her luggage, she is too excited and can’t wait to be greeted by a face she missed badly. Her excitement increases as a door is finally answered, but soon enough, her smile fades, her heart drops right away. Appears before her is a man, shirtless to be exact, holding a door open, he looks right at Eunjung , pretty much confused too, he then asks her in a language she couldn’t quite comprehend, and as soon he realizes she doesn’t understand, he switches into an English language speaker

“I’m here to meet …Hyomin please” Eunjung informs

“Excuse me…who again?” He can’t quite understand

“Park Hyomin” Eunjung tries to pronounce her name again, this time more slower, he seems to catch her last name though.

“Ah, you may mean Minnie ?” He figures

“Minnie?” Eunjung wonders if it could possibly be Hyomin’s nickname that makes it easier for foreigners to call but before she could confirm with him, she hears a familiar voice

“Is that you Eunjung?”

Eunjung tiles her head to the source of the voice, and there she finds Hyomin carrying grocery bags, she is on white sneakers, blue jeans, long black trench, her forehead is half way in her beanie and before Eunjung could register more detail, the younger woman puts down her grocery bags and steps closer before throwing her arms around a dazed woman, and there she is, Eunjung feels the warmest embrace she has ever had in a while.

I really miss you

--------------------------

“I’m sorry I forgot to update my address, I switched to this apartment unit after a previous tenant moved out, it offers a better view, don’t you think?” Hyomin hands Eunjung a mug of hot drink, before sitting down on the other end , looking  out the window for a great view of street.

“You have a great view here” Eunjung comments, sipping hot drink from a mug, her hand holding a mug so tight for its warmth

“So I guess this is a surprise?” Hyomin asks nonchalantly, she looks at Eunjung from the corner of her eyes

“Ah yeah, not a pretty one through, it turned out a bit different than I expected” Eunjung answers, biting her lips nervously

“Does it really matter?” Hyomin doesn’t really care if a surprise failed, all that matter is Eunjung is here

“Well, you know, I got a wrong address, knocking on someone’s else door, the first person I expected to be standing right in front of greeting me wasn’t you but turned out to your next door neighbor” Eunjung rambles

“Honestly I was shocked at first, I thought you were ….um” Eunjung cautiously glances at Hyomin, whose face is hiding under a mug

“Living with someone” Hyomin cuts in

“Mm, apparently” Eunjung looks away

“Silly” Hyomin mocks

“Huh?” Eunjung didn't miss it but want to make sure she heard it right

“You’re silly” Hyomin repeats, light scoff is heard

“I guess so” The older woman agrees anyway, she smiles as if it’s a word of compliment, which causes Hyomin to shake her head in disbelief

There is a long pause of silence until Hyomin began to ask about everyone back in Korea, it has been half year since she is away from home, she can’t deny how much she feels home-sick, but she is here for good, and she is happy for what she is doing, there is so much to learn and there are a lot to see and Eunjung is absolutely right.

After the day Hyomin was found breaking down in her kitchen after her failed attempts to prove that her hand was back to normal and she was able to excel at her knife skill, which it almost cost her a figure cut. Hyomin felt dramatically down to the point where she got so depressed, she didn’t even want to cook anymore, but Eunjung was there to cheer her up, and return her faith back to her. With endless support from Eunjung, Hyomin got herself together and started to explore for new passion and find her better self.

“Do you want to take a nap?” Hyomin asks a tired woman, the latter shakes her head

“No, not really, I’m just tired but not sleepy” Eunjung informs “Perhaps, I’m jetlagged”

Hyomin nods, agreed.

“You poor thing” Hyomin gently pats on her thigh gesturing Eunjung to come closer and rest her head on it, Eunjung follows obediently, she lays her head there. They continue their conversation with Eunjung looks up to Hyomin while Hyomin glances down at Eunjung.

“Your legs will start to cramp once I fall asleep” Eunjung forewarns

“As long as you get comfy, who cares?” Hyomin shrugs and continue to caress Eunjung’s hair

“I do” Eunjung states

And more than that

“I know you do” Hyomin smiles softly

Hyomin still holds so much in her eyes, Eunjung stares back into them, in there she could see them all, and among those million things, Eunjung finds …love and trust.

“So you’re spending Christmas with me here?” Hyomin plays with Eunjung’s hair

“Obviously yes” Eunjung doesn’t have to think twice, cause that’s all she planned for

“We are gonna celebrate Christmas together every year, remember?” Eunjung reminds

“Yes, I do remember” Hyomin affirms, how could she forget what she looks forward to every year ?

“And we are going to be together for every Christmas from now” Eunjung states

“How can you be so sure?” Hyomin anticipates

“Do you remember you once asked me if we would drift apart when we grow up” Eunjung doesn’t answer right away, she comes up with a question. It takes Hyomin a bit to reminisce

“Yeah, that was long time ago” Hyomin remembers it, “Why?”

“I think I have the answer” Eunjung’s smile grows wider , it reaches her eyes, forming one of her most beautiful smile “I know for sure we’ll never drift apart” She finally answers a question which was asked 10 years ago with a tone of promise.

Hyomin knows Eunjung will never promise if she doesn’t know if she could keep it

“Do you promise?”

“I promise”

View outside Hyomin’s window looks more beautiful than ever, same street, same tree, same scenario but today she’s not looking at it alone, and she knows she will forever have this person by her side, when their hands intertwine so tight as if she will never let go.

Eunjung still believes that Hyomin deserves to have so much more, there might be someone out there who is much better than her, but what if that better someone doesn’t make Hyomin any happier, or couldn’t love her as much as Eunjung does, or have loved ever since, Eunjung will never know and never wants to know because from now, she’s gonna be that person who makes Hyomin happier than she is and loves her better than anyone does.

 

A friend who is like a lover

That’s so you

A lover who is like a friend

That’s so me

Friends in lovers

That’s so us

 

-------------- THE END ----------------

 

A/N: Finally the ending part, which I found myself at sad ending, so here we are, I hope you don’t mind a final chapter.

Eunjung’s POV here allows us to see the reasons behind everything she does, feeling that developed though years, her patience and love and yes it’s not one sided from the start.

Again, thank you guys not only for hanging there with me but the T-Ara girls, it has been a decade, and you guys are truly amazing, it’s such wonderful to see us keep supporting them …xxx

Until next story comes, feel free to share your comments, I love to read them all, thank you !