Extra: Letter

Holding On For 15 Years

NOTE: I know this was supposed to be completed, and it's been a really long time, but I've been re-reading some of my fics, and the idea to write a short chapter that showed Solji's side of the story popped up, so here it is! :D Enjoy!


To my beloved Ahn Hyojin,

It's been 6 years since I left. I still miss you every day, and I still wonder what you're up to every day. I wake up missing your warm touch and your loving voice which calls out to me. I miss the feeling of your lips against mine as we exchange morning greetings. I especially miss looking into your eyes. I've read once that eyes never lie, and I still believe it. Your eyes were always so bright, so genuine, so loving. But what I love most about looking into them is that I see, in their reflection, the very same look in mine.

I'm sorry I left. I know you'll be angry and sad if you ever find out about it. But I couldn't bear to stay with you any longer. You ran out onto the road because of my thoughtless harsh words. Even now, I'm still hurting you. The girls keep me updated about you, and they told me of how you've been spending your days trying to find out more about me. They also told me about how, while you couldn't even recall your own name, that you love me was all you remembered. Even though the you now doesn't even know who I am. Not even what I had done to you 6 years ago. You deserve better than me.

Over the past 15 years, we've made so many memories together, went through so many experiences together, and suddenly, in just one night, everything was lost and in your place is a you that's not you. In your gaming terms, it's like you went through a reset while I didn't, and I'm left with an entirely new you, without the feelings gained from the memories we made together, without the lessons learnt from the experiences we had together. It was all those memories and experiences that helped us eventually develop feelings for each other and brought us together. Without them, the you I know...the you I love may as well be dead.

I know I could've stayed, could've made new memories with the you now, but no matter how much I thought about it, it still wouldn't be the same. To stay with her and create new memories with her, and maybe eventually get back together again as a couple... It'd be like I was replacing you with your lookalike. Like you're just so easily forgotten and so easily replaceable. But you're not. The Hyojin I fell in love with carries with her the same love from 15 years ago as I do. There could never be another replacement for you. You're the one and only Hyojin I ever love. I'm not going to let you go and replace you with your lookalike.

Maybe if you were here, you'd tell me to go back anyway. Even though I know you understand my thoughts and feelings, you'd tell me to go back anyway, because you always want what's best for me. Even if it may not be what I want, you'd tell me not to let the past hold me down, and to live for the future instead. You're always optimistic like that. But I'm not you. I can't just let go of the past and start over again with her, putting you behind as if you'd never existed. I won't allow myself to love her, because she's not you. She's her own person now, just someone who shares the same name and the same body as you. She could never be you.

I miss you, Hyojin. I want to see you. I want to hear your voice. I want to be by your side. But I'm going to continue to stay away, no matter how much it hurts, no matter how painful it is. You got hurt because of me. I'm not going to let her go through the same thing, never again. I'll never forget you, Hyojin, and I'm never going to stop loving you. You're my Hyojin, the only one I'll ever love.


Solji paused for a while, tears welling up in her eyes as she read the letter. Biting her lips to suppress a sob, she picked up her pen and continued to write.


I'm really glad I got to meet and love you.


Her grip on her pen tightened as she fought to see through her tears which were now streaming down her face.


I'm sorry.


Wet blotches appeared on the paper where tears have landed.


Thank you.


Solji sniffled, drying her eyes, as she finished off her letter. Beside her, her phone started to ring. Composing herself, she answered the phone.

"Hello?"

...

"What? She ran away?! I'll be right there." Grabbing everything she needed, she casted one last look to the letter on her table, sealed without the intention of ever being sent to its recipient, before rushing off to the place she'd sworn never to return to again.


I love you, Hyojin.

Still holding on,

Heo Solji