Silence

Holding On For 15 Years

Silence. That was all that filled the room as the 3 girls stared sadly at the girl lying in the hospital bed, a thick bandage around her head. Memories of the previous night were flashing in their head.

FLASHBACK

The 3 girls walked dejectedly towards the hospital exit, knowing there wasn’t any point for them to stay in the empty room after Solji had been wheeled off for her surgery.

“I hope Solji unnie will be ok.” Hani said. “I’m feeling restless. They did say this surgery has a high chance of failing.”

“We have to be positive, unnie. Solji unnie is strong, she’ll pull through somehow.” Jeonghwa said, holding her hand and giving it a reassuring squeeze, making Hani smile back to her.

“Hey, looks like something happened.” Hyelin pointed out as they neared the hospital entrance.

“Move out of the way please! Coming through!” The paramedics called out as they rushed in, wheeling someone in on a stretcher. Time seemed to slow as the paramedics pushed past them, giving them a clear look of who was on the stretcher. They could clearly see a limp figure with blood coating her head, long ombre hair stained red. They couldn’t move, frozen solid, their minds reeling.

“...L...LE Unnie…?”

 

“E-Excuse me! The girl who was just brought in, what happened to her?” Somehow, they managed to stop one of the paramedics to find out what happened and the damage done.

“She was hit by a car. It’s strange though. Most people wouldn’t attempt suicide in front of a hospital.” Their eyes widened.

“S-Suicide?” The paramedic shrugged.

“At least, that’s what I think happened. Eyewitnesses said that she ran out onto the road.”

“W-Will she be ok?” Hani asked, biting her lips.

“I’m not sure. From the looks of it, she hit her head pretty hard. I’d say we should be prepared for a case of amnesia.” He said before walking off, leaving the 3 girls in tears, sharing nervous looks.

END OF FLASHBACK

“Do you think she will lose her memories?” Hyelin asked softly, breaking the silence after what felt like an eternity.

“I don’t know. Honestly, I just want her to wake up.” Jeonghwa sighed. “First, Solji unnie, and now, LE unnie too.” She looked down. “I don’t want to lose 2 sisters.” She added as a quiet whimper.

“Don’t worry, Jjong. She’ll be ok. She has to be.” Hani said, giving Jeonghwa’s hand a reassuring grip. Once again, nobody spoke, focused on the unconscious girl in the hospital bed.

 

Silence.

That was all that filled the room.

 

 

Silence. The scene was familiar, with the 3 girls sitting in the hospital room and a girl in the hospital bed. But this time, LE was awake.

“LE unnie, are you thirsty? Do you want some water?” Jeonghwa asked as LE looked to her blankly.

“LE… is that really my name?”

FLASHBACK

“Look! She’s waking up!” They quickly crowded around the bed as LE began to stir. She let out a groan as her eyelids fluttered open. They all smiled in relief.

“LE unnie!” LE frowned slightly.

“What’s wrong, LE unnie? What do you need?” Hyelin asked worriedly.

“Are you in pain? Should I get the doctor?” Just before Jeonghwa could rush out of the room, LE spoke, stopping her in her tracks.

“L...E… Is that...my name…?”

END OF FLASHBACK

Jeonghwa bit her lip, fighting back tears as she nodded.

“Yeah, that’s your stage name.”

“Stage name…” LE looked down at her hands, frowning. “...her…”

“Hm? Did you say something, LE Unnie?” They turned to her curiously.

“T...That...That person…”

“What?” Hyelin looked to the other two, who just shrugged.

“Ugh…” LE groaned as she held her head, looking as if she was in pain. “My head…”

“G-Go get the doctor, Jeonghwa.” Hani said fearfully as Jeonghwa seemed frozen on the spot.

“I...I know… I know that I…” LE gripped her hair tightly, her eyes shut tight as a screeching sound filled her head.

“Jjong, now!” Hani urged as Jeonghwa finally snapped out of her shock and leapt to her feet.

"I love her."

"LE unnie?" The three girls surrounding LE looked to her as tears streamed down her face.

"I love her. I love her. I love her." She looked down at her hands, her tears dropping onto them and the blankets below. "Why can't I remember her? I love her. I know I love her. But who is 'her'?" The 3 girls looked at one another sadly, thoughts of getting the doctor forgotten.

 

Silence.

The only sound in the room was the quiet sobbing of a girl who remembered nothing.

 


“W-What do we do?” Jeonghwa asked as she stared down the road where the taxi had driven off and disappeared.

“I don’t know, Jjong. S-She just...She just bolted.” Hani said, holding her hand, both of them looking shaken up.

“I-I’m sorry I couldn’t stop her.” Jeonghwa whimpered.

“It’s not your fault. But right now, we need to find her.” Hani looked to Hyelin and nodded.

“Linnie’s right. We need to find her. But how?” Hyelin looked to them solemnly.

“I’ll call her.” They nodded in agreement as Hyelin whipped out her phone.

 

It seemed Silence would be their companion once again as they waited for help to arrive.