Memories

Holding On For 15 Years

"This place is…" Solji's eyes softened as she gazed up at the fountain.

FLASHBACK

The sight of the fountain was breath-taking, with the water reflecting the various night lights around the area, making it seem like it was sparkling. Solji found herself entranced at the sight, staring up at it.

"It's so pretty, isn't it?" She whipped her head around to face the source. "Just like you." At that, Solji couldn't help the laugh that escaped her lips as LE walked up beside her.

"What? What's with you suddenly?" LE just smiled as she s one arm around Solji's waist.

"Nothing. I just suddenly thought of it." Solji laughed again as she smacked LE lightly.

"You're such a smooth talker." LE grinned in response.

"Am I? But you love it, don't you?" Solji smiled as she leaned back into LE's touch.

"Yeah. I do love it. In fact..." She pulled away and turned to face LE fully. "In fact, Hyojin, I..." Solji stared into LE's eyes.

 

It was those eyes that caught her attention when she had first met the girls last year as their vocal coach. She, the group's rapper, looked the fiercest out of the 6 girls, but when Solji had taken a closer look at her, she was fascinated by just how this fierce girl had bright eyes which were so full of sincerity, and carried a sort of innocence within. It was almost childlike, and upon seeing that, Solji couldn't help but think that rather than fierce, this girl looked somewhat cute.

And then as she had gotten to know them, she found herself falling in love with LE. She was the mood maker of the team, sometimes cracking jokes which elicited laughter, sometimes playing and fooling around with them when they felt bored, and yet, when the time comes to be serious, she'd be the one to take charge and tell off the other girls. But Solji couldn't let her know of her feelings. They were supposed to be coach and student. Nothing more than that. So Solji just watched, suppressing her growing feelings and holding back her true self whenever she was with them. And then, 3 of them left and she was asked to join, alongside another girl, Hyelin.

And with that, the teacher-student boundary shattered. Now, they're friends, and at the same time, family. LE became her support, her go-to person whenever she felt down, and vice versa. She depended on LE, and LE depended on her. She stopped holding herself back, and actually joined in with their crazy antics now. There was no longer any reason to hold herself back. Nothing was holding her back now.

 

With that thought in mind, Solji swallowed the lump in .

"H-Hyojin, I…" She looked down, took a deep breath, before looking back to LE. "Hyojin, I love you." LE stared at her, shock being the only emotion on her face. "I know you might not like me that way, but that's ok. We can just stay the way we are now. But I just wanted you to know." LE closed , her mind reeling, before she finally found her voice again.

"...How long?" Solji looked down again.

"Since last year. I never said anything because back then, I wasn't your friend. I was your vocal coach. We had a professional relationship, that was all. But I've loved you since that time." LE stared at her, face impassive, making Solji nervous. "Hyojin? Please don't just stay silent.” She pleaded. “Tell me you don't like me that way, or that you'd rather our relationship stay as friends, or something."

"I love you too." Solji blinked.

"W-What?" She was not expecting that. LE looked to her.

"I wish you'd said that earlier. I've loved you since I first met you too. Goodness, unnie, I love you too." She grinned as she wrapped her arms around Solji's neck. "I love you too, unnie." Solji looked to her.

"R-Really?" LE nodded, before burying her face in the crook of her neck, hiding the blush that erupted on her face soon after she had spoken those words.

"Let me hide here for a while.” She mumbled, her breath on Sollji’s neck sending shivers down her spine. “I look like a tomato and I can't stop it." Solji couldn't help the grin growing on her face as she pulled away, trying to look at LE's face.

"Show me. It's not fair that I have to show my face while you get to hide yours!" LE ducked and turned away, trying to prevent Solji from seeing her face. Laughing, Solji smacked her playfully. "Show me~~~!" She whined as LE laughed as well before she swiftly looked up and caught her lips with her own. Pulling away when the need for air became too much to bear, LE rested her forehead against Solji's.

"I love you, unnie." She said breathlessly, as Solji giggled.

"Me too. I love you, Hyojin."

END OF FLASHBACK

"Ah, that's right. This is where it all began, wasn't it?" Solji chuckled to herself at the memory, before she saw something from the corner of her eyes which caught her attention. She let out a loud gasp as she rushed over to where the girl she'd been searching for sat on the bench, leaning back limply, blankly staring at the fountain.

“Hyojin!” LE blinked, and then looked up to her.

“...S...Solji...unnie…?” Solji heaved a sigh of relief, having finally found the girl.

“Oh, thank god! What are you doing here? Do you know how worried I was when the girls called me only to tell me that you ran away?!” LE just looked at her.

“I...I was waiting for you.” She admitted softly. “For some reason, I felt like I could see you again if I waited here. I didn’t think you’d really be here.” Solji’s eyes softened as she remembered that the LE sitting in front of here was not the LE she knew. This LE didn’t have her memories, didn’t remember who she was. She had simply followed her instincts and arrived here. She sighed.

“C’mon. Let’s just go home.” She said, grabbing LE’s hand and pulling her up. LE stared at her, almost as if she couldn’t believe Solji was real. “Hyojin?”

"I missed you, unnie." was all LE said as she pulled her close, the startled yelp silenced by a pair of lips pressing onto hers. As soon as Solji’s mind caught up with what was happening, she pulled away.

“Hyojin, no. We can’t do this.” She said firmly. LE tilted her head in confusion.

“Why not? I love you.” Solji’s eyes widened as she heard the familiar phrase, spoken by a familiar voice, before she recalled the situation again and shook her head with a bitter smile, her eyes downcast.

“No, you don’t. You’re not her. We can’t do this.”

“We can, unnie. I love you.” Solji shut her eyes tightly, not looking up, as if wanting to shut out the voice. Please...don’t say that. Not with that face and that voice. She pleaded in her mind. “Unnie. Why won’t you look at me?”

“I can’t.” She admitted softly.

“Why not?” LE pressed on, stepping forward. “Unnie, look at me.” Solji still refused to look up. She didn’t want to see it. The face of a person she loves so much, yet without a hint of recognition. She wouldn’t be able to bear it. LE gave a frustrated sigh as she grabbed Solji’s hand. “Why can’t you look at me, unnie!?”

“Because I can’t!” Solji snapped as she ripped her hand out from LE’s grasp. “I can’t look at you and handle seeing someone who is you but not you at the same time! I can’t bear to look at you and see the Hyojin I know, yet you don’t know me! You’re not that person! You’re not my Hyojin, and it hurts! It hurts so badly, Hyojin! So please…” Her voice softened into a pleading whimper as tears squeezed out from her tightly shut eyes. “...please don’t make this any harder for me, Hyojin, and let’s just go home…” LE didn’t speak, neither were there any indication that she had even moved at all. Solji sniffled, wiping away her tears with the back of her hands. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have shouted at you like that. It’s not your fault, Hyojin. I know. It’s just...It’s hard. But still, you didn’t deserve that. You’re not the Hyojin I know. You don’t have your- her memories. So let’s just forget this and head home, ok?”

“What if I don’t want to forget? Again?” Solji froze. Her head snapped up to meet LE’s eyes, and her breath caught in . Something wasn’t right. Her eyes scanned LE’s for answers, and then it clicked.

 

It was the look of familiarity.