002

Return
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Author's note: I've decided to break down the first chapter into two so that there wouldn't be any confusion and I think this works better. Thank you, Red0302 for mentioning this.

 

 

In a green field filled with dandelions, butterflies and other insects swarm around the peaceful place. With a bow and arrow in hand, the eighteen year old Hongjoo stands firmly as she releases the arrow without a flinch of an eye. The arrowhead lands at the center of the red target that is placed feet away from where she was and she lowers her bow. Misoo who watched from the side, applauses with Geum lying beside her. 

“Not bad” Mark, a friend of Hongjoo says as he unfolded his arms.

He grabs an arrow from the bin and Hongjoo moves aside for him to take his turn. Just when he got into position, a voice haulers out in the distance which stops him. 

“Hongjoo ah! Misoo ah!”

They turned around to see the lady who lives across the riverbank running towards them in a hurry. 

“Ahjumma, what’s wrong?” Hongjoo ask.

She pants heavily as she wipes her forehead and then points toward the direction of their house. Misoo stands up along with Geum who follows.

“Y-Your mother. Some people came with Kayoon and took your mother” 

Mark looks at Hongjoo who’s face turn pale upon hearing such news as her heart sinks.

Entering through the opened door of their house, Hongjoo calls out for their mother but finds the place in a mess. Not searching any further into the house, Hongjoo turns to see Misoo coming along with Geum and Mark. She takes Misoo by the hand and lightly brushes the loose hair out of her face before locking eyes with her younger sister.

“Misoo ah, you stay here. I’m going to look for mother, okay?” Hongjoo say in a hurry voice.

Just as she lets go of Misoo’s hand and steps forward, she felt a tug at her hand which made her stop to see it was Misoo. Hongjoo can see the worry look in Misoo’s eyes, therefore she takes her hand again.

“Don’t worry, Misoo. I’ll be quick” 

Hongjoo release Misoo’s hand and turns to Geum who can see that she is asking for it to stay with Misoo.

“I’m coming with you” Mark says.

They both stare into each other’s eyes for a minute and giving Misoo a last look, she turns away with the bow in hand as Mark follows her.

Searching high and low, Hongjoo was covered in sweat as she stops to catch her breath. Mark grabs her elbow when she almost lost her balance and she assured him she was fine. Scanning the area, she begins to hear voices in a distance and turns fully focus.

“Tell me! Where is that child?” 

Sneaking in closely, Hongjoo lowers her posture as she is hidden between the big green leaves along with Mark at her side and looking ahead of them, they saw a group of armed men surrounding her mother who kneels on the ground in front of Kayoon who dressed in a sleeveless shirt, revealing the tattoos that covered her whole right arm. 

“Where is the child?” Kayoon demands again.

Hongjoo’s mother did not flinch an inch from Kayoon’s order and right then, she hits the old lady in the face which sends her body to fall to the ground. Hongjoo grasp tight onto the bow in her palm as she was about to step out, however, Mark grabs her arm. At the same time she stops upon her mother who happens to notice her there as her eyes tell her to stay back. Tears are yet to fall from her as she obeys. Kayoon grabs the old lady by her collar to pull her up on her feet. 

“You won’t tell me,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter