004

Return
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

In a dark enclosed cave, water drips from the ceiling walls as they echoed through the place. Hearing her own breath, Hongjoo finds herself awaken with little movement as she was wrapped in white bandages at her neck towards her chest. She looks around the unfamiliar place, showing no sense of fear but lost and confusion. Footsteps begin to approach as a figure appeared before her and when her eyes set upon it, a blur image of the person comes into her view.

"You're finally awake"

An unfamiliar husky voice clears her vision as she sees it is a boy around her age. His hair is short with a color of dusty blond, his eyes are crystal brown, his lips hint a pinkish shade to it and his feature brings out a manly side to him; a face that wasn’t common in boys whom she saw before. He had on a black long sleeved shirt with a pair of dark jeans and ankle boot. He seems to set something in hand aside and settle down on the edge of the bed (a flat boulder with a thick layer of fur blanket on top) beside her, examining her condition.

"How are you feeling? Do you feel uncomfortable anywhere?" he asks.

Hongjoo just stares at this boy who gives her the most sincere look of concern on him as he waits patiently for her answer. And yet, her eyes shift away and she closes them. The boy did not say more and she can sense him leaving with the littlest sound to make as she is now alone. Her eyes open and immediately, tears fall from them.

Just like that, days begin to pass by and Hongjoo never moved from that spot nor ask for the boy’s identity. However, he did tell her that she had been sleeping for the past three months after he found her barely alive and breathing. There was no news about what happened to her people nor her younger sister; whether she is dead or not, that wasn't something she know of.

Hongjoo awakens at the soft footsteps of the boy’s so she turns to face him. He was at top and his back is facing her as he placed the firewood he collected into a pile. She saw his back muscles moves about, but that wasn’t what caught her attention. It was the scars that were on him.

Her eyes were then captured by him who happened to turn to look at her. They stared for a long time with either of them speaking. Hongjoo studied his eyes carefully; a pair of brown orbs that looked into her soul so gently with no sense of harm. He picks something up with his hand and starts to walk to her. Hongjoo looks at his hand that extended out towards her. In his palm was a bright red apple that looked rather fresh and juicy.

"Eat this first. Lunch is probably going to take a while" he says.

Hongjoo takes her hand out of the blanket and tries to push herself up into a sitting position, but winces upon the tangling pain of her wound at her neck down to her chest. The boy helps her as he supports her back to lean against the wall.

"Thank you" Hongjoo say.

He just smiles and hands her the apple to which she takes. She watches him went back to work and her eyes came back to the apple that is in her palms.

After lunch, the boy has gone somewhere leaving Hongjoo some time to herself. She manages to get out of the bed and makes her way out of the cave as she holds her left shoulder. The sunlight shined at her face and lying in front of her, is the entire forest covered with colorful autumn leaves as the weather itself has become cold. Hongjoo in the cooling air and exhales, letting a thin smoke escaping from .

Not keeping her tracks mark, she finds herself standing at a very tall cliff; one that let her see everything she needed to see. The breeze up there was more heavy and colder, leaving Hongjoo to feel numb as she stood there at the edge of its peak. Her mind that very moment was a mess as she couldn’t think properly nor blame anyone for her lose. She didn't understand why she didn't die when she feels like she is dead. She feels like she is nothing and holds no value of anything anymore.

Standing there for so long, the cold finally weakens her and the pain at her chest suddenly tense, causing her knees to go weak. Her body falls forward, however, a quick hand grabs her by the elbow and pulls her around. Her eyes meet with that blond boy who looks worried to death as he was breathless. She can feel the tight grip of his on her elbow, but it didn't hurt. Finally, Hongjoo takes a hold of his hand that held her, brushing it off as the look on him seems confused. With nothing left to say, Hongjoo takes the leave as the boy watches her go.

 

 

Five Years Later

 

In the huge heavy storm, a panting is heard as their footsteps pace quickly through the woods. The young girl in her early teens drenched in the rain ran for her life. Wolves chased her in a pack. She didn't look behind and kept running.

Above on the trees, she heard something following as well as the rustling leaves fall. Right then, a wolf jumps out from behind her side with its mouth wide open as it is about to bite her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter