Chapter 9

(Darahae Ver.) Trapped With My Soulmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oh this tastes good. Is this a new packaging? I haven’t had this in years.” Dara rolled her eyes mimicking Donghae’s voice in an exaggerated tone as she walked, letting people pass through her. “Pssh.” She scowled as she crossed the busy highway letting the cars whizz by her as she proceeded to get to the other side. So irritating. She remembered that friendly smile on Donghae’s face and it is only pissing her off. I guess his grumpiness is only reserved for me. Why? Because I’m a soul who can possess him and one which he apparently hated the most. But is that any of my fault? I ddin’t even want to possess him but nooooo. It doesn’t make any difference to him that it is not any of my control. And he even accused me of… what was it he said last night? Block? I was blocking him? She harumphed at that. As if I wanted to stay inside his body. Like eww. No thanks. But then again, whatever I say doesn’t make any difference to him. My words doesn’t matter. She kept on walking as she continued the rants to herself of being unfairly treated. I am a trespassing soul who’s out to ruin his life. An evil entity who will pounce on him anytime now. Hmph.

 

Her eyes narrowed as she remembered that easy conversation he had with that witch girl. No, she contradicted herself. That is not a conversation, that is borderline flirting. Let me gag here in my incorporeal form. She stomped on a puddle which of course didn’t even made that satisfying water sound. Aish! I’m so annoyed!!

 

She decided to just steam it off in case the emotions build up and she would found herself inside his body again and then he would definitely start with all his accusations. How did I ever think he’s a good guy? She must’ve been ridden with too much guilt over eating something that caused allergic reaction to his body last night. Though she is sorry for that and one that she is really guilty of, it still wouldn’t make him a good guy just because he agreed to help her. He only agreed to help her to—like what he told Jiyong—get her out of his hair because she’s a pain in the . He’s not doing it for the good of his heart.

 

I guess it would pain him tremendously if he would be nice to a soul. Dara pouted as she talked to herself. Of course I can understand where he’s coming from, what he went through and all that but I’m just a lost soul. And I have no intention whatsoever to stay in case that i… that I didn’t make it. What, he doesn’t really believe me? Again that image of Donghae having a good laugh with the witch girl played in her mind she sighed ruefully as she admitted that Donghae’s treatment of the witch girl is probably because her grandmother saved him.

 

And she probably did too. Dara could just imagine a younger, lonely and scared Lee Donghae coming to Seoul without knowing anyone and the witch girl the first person who befriended him despite his weirdness to normal people. She scowled again. Whatever. She stopped and shook her head to let those thoughts off her brain then exhaled loudly. I shouldn’t be wasting time about Lee Donghae anyway. He agreed to help and no matter what his reasons are, it will only come down to me getting together with my body. I shouldn’t even be bothered. She gave a nod to herself and let out a wide smile. “Yes. Today is a great day because Jiyong finally believes me and will help in finding my body. Yep.” She gave another nod and continued to stride on the street determined to forget her irritation with Lee Donghae.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She had enjoyed her little stroll as some of the stores and malls are familiar to her whereas she remembered bits and pieces of herself walking and doing some shopping. It was illuminating to her. She could even remember her favorite shoe store. The one on Soo Man Avenue and spend at least two hours just admiring the shoes on display and wishing she could try them all.

 

She flitted from shops to shops and then to a what she remembered as famous restaurant where she smelled the delicious scent of every food being cooked in the kitchen. Ah. She missed eating this. Smelling the scent is good enough but she really does feel that craving of tasting it with . This is definitely what the dead souls fare craving for. That craving to taste the life the living enjoys.

 

She was about to take a huge whiff of that newly bought out steak when her eyes caught sight of a distinguished looking man in a suit followed by three other men passing by from the VIP room of the restaurant to leave. Her heart lurched and forgetting about the steak that is about to be served on the customer’s table, she followed them out.

 

Her eyes was fixed on that man in a graying hair looking stern and unsmiling as he shook hands with the other men he was with before going inside the car waiting for him. Following her instinct, she immediately jumped inside the car with the man before the driver drove off. Dara put a hand on her chin thoughtfully as he studied the man with furrowed brows. He looked really familiar. She knew him, that much she is definite of. Maybe her dad? No. She would definitely recognize her dad even if she doesn’t remember his face.

 

The man was looking out the window and Dara moved closer and inspected his face from every angle wanting to jar her memory. He looked very serious. Strict. Scary even. He looked like those villains in action movies she had probably watched in action movies.

 

Like a mafia boss.

 

The godfather!

 

Yep, she remembered that movie and he definitely looked like it. He was very neat and clean and elegant but looked downright scary.

 

Dara tilted her head to the side still studying him intently. Maybe he’s an actor in a movie she loved to watch? Is he a celebrity then and off to film something?

 

She sat there staring at the man with intensity to shake whatever memory she would be able to manage and didn’t realize the car had stopped until the man opened the car to get out. Dara scrambled to follow as the man passed by the people greeting him.

 

Okay, he is definitely not a celebrity as the people in here are regarding him with respect and fear at the same time. And no, he does not have the gait of a celebrity.  Yup, he’s definitely a mafia. Then she gasped. Maybe he’s familiar to her because he had something to do with her disappearance!

 

She immediately followed him and saw that the people all made way for him and none rode the elevator he was in. Her eyes was fixed on his stoic face as the elevator climbed up on the floor he pressed. Dara may not know him but instinct is telling her that he is someone of significance in her life. Friendly or hostile, she will find out.

 

They finally reached the floor, the 18th floor apparently, and the logo CHA GLOBAL INDUSTRIES met her eyes. The name was in bold letters on the vast glass wall behind a busy receptionist who immediately stood up from her seat to greet the formidable man.

 

“Good morning, Mr. Cha. Mr. Sung Woo is waiting for you in your office.”

 

The man only gave a nod without breaking his stride and continued his way in which Dara could guess is his office. She followed but her eyes went around as the cleanliness of the place made everything look so shiny. She passed the man’s office door as it closed on her face and saw him greet another distinguished looked man in a suit who stood up from his seat.  “Good afternoon Chairman.”

 

The man ed his coat before seating on the sofa across from the man. “What brings you here, Sung Woo?”

 

Sung Woo sat down and laid out a folder on the table. “They are contesting the authenticity of the divorce papers.”

 

The man, this Mr. Cha gave a small smirk. The first expression that Dara had seen cross his face. “Of course they would.”

 

“Mr. Park is stating that he had never recalled that he and your sister had filed a divorce.”

 

Mr. Park? Is he talking about her father? Dara moved closer to hear the conversation better.

 

“Of course, he wouldn’t,” Mr. Cha simply answered. 

 

“And he insisted you manipulated his wife into signing the papers to make you the legal guardian of their daughter, Sandara Park, should anything ever happened to her.” Sung Woo clasped his hands together. “Their camp would use his mental health as an excuse to invalidate these documents as the divorce and legal guardianship had happened while he was in the hospital. His wife… your sister… was also unwell during these times. He was even denying these are his signatures too. Especially the document when he also agreed to relinquish all his rights to his daughter.”

 

“I was expecting that.”

 

Dara was slowly gasping at what she’s hearing. What? Legal guardianship? Divorce? Her eyes was fixed on this stoic, scary man who looked unbothered at the news the man—this Sung Woo— is telling him.

 

“Mr. Park is continuuing to fight this,” Sung Woo continued. “He already had some prosecutors reviewing the case.”

 

“I know he would,” Mr. Cha said. “His daughter was missing after all.” He smirked without any humor. “If she would be found dead, all her company shares and everything her mother had left her would be transferred to me. I would guess he wanted to find his daughter to make sure it doesn’t happen.”

 

Sung Woo nodded. “Mr. Park stated he doesn’t want this to be publicized in fear his daughter would be more in danger but he had been insisting for your investigation since you would most benefit for her daughter’s death… should she be publicly proclaimed dead. I had already taken care of the police but there are… some officers who are already listening to him.”

 

“Pay them double.” The small smirk on his face completely disappeared. “My sister found him on the dirt before he gained power and bled my sister dry. I’ll make sure he’s got nothing left before I kick him back to where he came from. And if that means I would have to keep Sandara Park dead until that happens, then I will.”

 

She could feel it. That panic rising up in her and she took an involuntary step back… away from this scary man as she tried to take deep calming breaths.

 

“Yes, Chairman.”

 

Dara watched wth heaving, loud breaths trying to understand everything that she has heard. She had an idea but her brain is in chaos at the moment to even form a coherent thought.

 

Sung Woo hesitated for a second before continuuing. “She’s still on respirator, Chairman, but her vitals are already stabilizing.”

 

Mr. Cha’s jaw clenched. “Then we need to expedite and have Park file this in court. We need to make sure the court rules in my favor.”

 

Sung Woo gave a nod before standing up to do what his boss is telling him..

 

“Sung Woo,” the chairman called him and he paused. The Chairman lifted his stony eyes to meet his as he gave a firm order. “Make sure no one finds Sandara Park.”

 

Sung Woo gave another nod. “Yes, Chairman.” Dara kept on backing away from this man sitting nonchalantly on his big chair looking unbothered by the fact that he just ordered his… whoever that Sung Woo man is… to make sure no one can find her.

 

She’s still on respirator….

 

Vitals are stabilizing….

 

Full Panic Mode is already and she could feel that string starting to pull her but she is unable to stop it now. She wanted to scream as she was yanked out by some unseen powerful force, her form flying though the glass window.

 

But her mind was somewhere else.

 

She’s remembering them now.

 

She’s remembering everything.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Dara, you need to take a bath! C’mon baby.”

 

“No!”

 

A five year old Dara ducking from her mother’s arms and darting in the living room with only her underwear and caked dirt all over her body. She had been playing with Chimmy, their golden retriever dog, out in the garden and had gotten a hold of a water hose that the gardener left lying by the plants.

 

“Dara!”

 

“I don’t want a bath!” She kept on running until someone suddenly grabbed her by the armpits and swooped her off her feet.

 

“What have you been up to, you little devil.” A grinning man  held her up by the air.

 

“Daddy!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Your brother hated me.”

 

Dara looked up from petting Chimmy behind the big sofa when she heard her father coming in the living room.

 

“No, he doesn’t.” Her mother also entering the living room. “Look, he just wanted to spend some time with his niece so I invited him to dinner.”

 

His father sighed. “He had never even played with Dara even when she was an infant. What is he going to do with Dara now that she’s twelve?”

 

“My brother is just not… the showy type.”
 

“Your daughter is afraid of your brother.”

 

“She’s a child, she’s scared of everyone and everything.” Her mother tittered. “And besides, who wouldn’t be scared of Cha Seung-Won? My brother is like the living version of… I dunno… Dracula.” She chuckled at her own joke then stopped at the expression on her husband’s face. “I know Seung-Won can be… intimidating but he’s been through a lot. He protected me when our parents died.”

 

“Yeah yeah.” His father sighed and Dara knew he’s going to let her mother win this. Again. Like he always do.

 

“It’s just dinner, honey. Seung-Won had gotten so busy with the Automotive business he’s setting up and this is the only time he’s free and… I really miss talking to my big brother. Please do this for me.”

 

His father sighed again but loudly this time. “Suri, you know I’d do anything for you.”

 

Dara returned her attention in patting Chimmy’s fur as he sleeps but she’s already feeling scared. Maybe she would use an excuse of feeling ill when that dinner comes. No matter how many times her mother had assured her that her Uncle wouldn’t hurt her, his eyes is telling something else entirely. She had always been afraid of her Uncle and the only assurance she have in times that her Uncle visits unexpectedly, is that her father would always be there to protect her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I really don’t like Uncle Seung Won.” A fifteen year old Dara griping to her bestfriend during lunch period, eating some ice cream by the courtyard.

 

“Yeah you already mentioned that a thousand times since we were ten,” Jiyong said slurping his own ice cream.

 

“I was scared of him then. Now I just hate him. I heard him talking to my mom last night and he wasn’t holding back in saying that my dad is dead-beat. And weird.  He’s the weird one.”

 

“Well, you have to admit, your dad can be a little weird sometimes,” Jiyong replied with a grin. “And no offense but your father is currently unemployed, isn’t he? That is your uncle’s description to every unemployed citizen of the country.”

 

“My dad isn’t dead-beat.” Her eyes glared at Jiyong. “He had to quit his job because he’s starting to have breathing problems. And Uncle is the one to talk when he was the weird one since… I dunno… forever. Always wearing black, always looking like he transforms into a blood bat every night. I mean… I don’t know how many times I heard my mom defending him saying he protected her since they were hunted by loan sharks when grandfather died and then grandmother got sick and left them as orphans and uncle doing whatever he can to keep both of them alive and worked hard to be able to resurrect the family business and now he is considered one of the successful  men in the country. Pshh. Yeah I get that but just because my dad isn’t as well off as he is doesn’t mean he can belittle him. And I can’t believe mom is even letting Uncle do that to dad. She didn’t even defended dad over that dead-beat comment when she knew that dad is having health issues. Jiyong? Jiyong are you listening to me?”  Dara smacked him when she saw him intently watching the senior girls pass by wearing their short shorts after PE class and knew no doubt that he hadn’t heard a single thing she said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Dad, are you okay?” Dara peered at her dad who looked paler than he was yesterday. He was sitting by himself on the couch’s living room just staring into nothing when Dara came home from school.

 

Her dad slowly turned his eyes on his and  it took a minute before he smiled. “Oh, Dara.”

 

Dara immediately went to him. Her dad had gotten sick a few years back but it seemed like he is already beginning to get worse. His athletic build is starting to fall, his cheerful face no longer hold that mischievous expression and it pains Dara to watch her dad withering away. “Mom!” she called out.

 

“She’s not home,” her dad answered sounding weak.

 

Dara gritted her teeth. “She went to Uncle again, didn’t she?”

 

“She’s asking him for help.”

 

“Help for what?” Dara took her phone out. “I’m callng an ambulance, I’m taking you to the hospital.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What help are we asking from Uncle, mom?” Dara crossed her arms as she confronted her mom as soon as she walked inside the hospital room where dad is lying on the bed with an IV drip.

 

“Dara,” her father softly reprimanded her at the tone of her voice but she couldn’t help it.

 

Her mom rushed to her father’s side. “Are you okay?”

 

Dara answered for her dad. “He was having trouble breathing when I got home.” Then let out a heavy breath out as she really doesn’t want to upset her dad and as much as she is annoyed at her mom for leaving her sick dad, she could see the toll this is taking on her mother too. She was pale and getting thinner. It’s like both of her parents are sick. 

 

Her mom made a soft whimper which immediately made Dara feel really guilty.

 

“I’m fine, Suri,” her dad reassured her mom.

 

“I’m sorry….”

 

“It’s alright.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I don’t even know what help she’s asking from Uncle. Mom is always going to him.” Since she couldn’t fully confront her mother, she settled on voicing her complaints with her bestfriend in the courtyard.

 

“Maybe she’s asking for financial assistance,” Jiyong suggested playing with his phone.

 

Dara scoffed. “Financial assistance? My mom also owns  CHA Group Holdings and owns 15 percent of the shares. Uncle might be the brains but mom was the charm of the company when she was still working there. Do you honestly think investors had come in because of my jovial uncle? I don’t think so. Maybe that’s why he hated dad because my mom left the company when she married him and all the money stopped coming in.”

 

“Dara, Jiyong, we’re starting the graduation march practice. Fall in line,” one of their teachers called him.

 

Dara grudgingly stood up and Jiyong just patted her on the shoulder.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara covered with her hand in shock at the sight of her sick father on his bed. She just came home from the US to take her summer break and saw how much her father’s body deteriorated. She turned to her mom who doesn’t seem to be looking too well either. “Mom, what is happening?”

 

Her mom just shook her head as her tears welled up. “I don’t know….” She put a hand over her father’s sleeping form.

 

Dara opened but no words came out. She didn’t know how many times they’ve brought her father to the hospital where the doctor is prescribing too many medicines. None which made him any better. Only worse.

 

“I’ll be taking your father to Europe,” her mother said sounding she will cry at any moment now. “Maybe… maybe we can find something there that can help your father.”

 

“I’m going with you.”

 

“No. No. You need to continue your studies.”

 

“Mom, my studies can wait.”

 

But her mom just kept on shaking her head. “You need to continue your studies. And when you graduate… you will be taking over my position in CHA Global Industries.”

 

Dara paused and stared at her mom. “You returned working?” With Uncle, she silently added.

 

“I… i… I need the money.” She averted her gaze.

 

But she didn’t believe it because she had always known it. “Uncle will help dad in exchange of you returning to the company, didn’t he?”

 

“No….” Her mother just shook her head and Dara just bit back every rants she have because her mother looked like she will crumble any second. Her mother looked at her, her sallow eyes looking so… dead and hopeless. “Dara… please. Just… just do what I say. Okay? Please?”

 

Dara closed her eyes in consternation after seeing that desolated look on her mother’s face. When she looked back at her mother, she just gave a small nod. “Alright.”

 

Her mother pulled her in for a hug and Dara hugged her back. She could hear her mother sniffling and the hate with her uncle doubled. And she promised that she will work harder than ever so that when she graduates, she will work hard to earn money and buy all her Uncle’s shares and kick him out of the company.

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter