Test Drive

Choerry’s Parents

The trio went to the nearby supermarket to pick up on daily necessities that they ran out of for the past week or so. While pushing the stroll cart, a comment made by her wife made the woman turn towards the meat section. 

 

“Honey, do you want to have roasted chicken for dinner later?” Kim Lip whispered to the neck of the taller woman as they paused at their spot. 

 

“Hmm, sure. Let’s ask our little one for her opinion.” Both of the parents then looked on lovingly at the little girl sitting in that tiny seat attached in the trolley itself. A strong nod confirms the woman’s question. 

 

“Let’s get that then.” Jinsoul walked to the section selling different varieties of meat and chose the most worthwhile product after a few minutes of choosing. 

 

---

 

After spending around 2 hours in the same venue, the family was finally done with their shopping spree. Tucking little Choerry in her baby seat was a tough chore since the girl was always hyperactive. 

 

“Settle down, Yerim-ah. If you don’t, the candies mum bought for you will be confiscated and I’ll eat all of them myself.” Jinsoul reprimanded her child when she failed to take in instructions for the third time of the day. 

 

“Okay…” The kid can only follow from now on since she’s protective of her sweets as well. 

 

“Good job.” Kim Lip praised the child for listening, but she was quickly snapped back at by her own wife. 

 

“Don’t spoil her too much.” Jinsoul strapped the seatbelt onto her before driving back home. 

 

“It’s called give-and-take. I know what I’m doing. Besides, when was I bad at parenting?” The owl’s hand caressed against the shoulders of the betta fish softly in an effort to soothe her. 

 

“Fine…” The blond’s pair of eyes never seemed to leave the road. 

 

---

 

Halfway through the drive, little Choerry started to whine.

 

“Mum, I’m bored. Can I play on your iPad?” The girl asked nicely when she saw how hard her mum was concentration on the puzzle that she was currently trying to solve. 

 

“Sure, but make sure you do your homework once you reach the house, okay?” The assistant director carefully placed the object into her daughter’s lap before tying it to a strap so the thing won’t crash when it dropped to the ground. 

 

“Hmmhm.”

 

“...”

 

“Jindori, when do you have to renew your license again? Can I go with you on the trip as well?” The owl scrolled through the calendar on her phone. 

 

“In about 2 weeks time, though I suppose it’d be better if I do it earlier.” The taller woman looked at her wife while responding. 

 

“Mummy, I want to learn driving too!” Yerim squealed excitedly in her baby seat as she clutched on tight to the iPad in her tiny hands. 

 

“You’re a little young to do that, you know?” Kim Lip turned towards their daughter and shook her head, subtly telling the girl ‘no’ in her actions. 

 

“Are you implying literally or metaphorically?” The blond cracked a laugh towards the end of her sentence, immediately getting a response from her shocked wife. 

 

“YAHH!!” The joking woman got a sharp slap on her right. 

 

“Don’t teach her wrong things. Gosh…” The owl hid her face against her wife’s shoulders. 

 

“If you do that, I can’t drive properly and all three of us will be in huge trouble. You hear me?” The fish sneakily took a look at her wife using the car top front mirror, earning herself an annoyed growl from the said woman herself. 

 

---

 

“Thank you for the games, I’ll be off to do my homework now.” The little girl sprinted off to her room after she hopped off the vehicle. 

 

“I’ll call you when dinner is ready.” Jinsoul waved to her child while helping her wife to take off the groceries from the back of the car. 

 

“Why did you say that just now?” A strong pinch was felt on the blond’s right arm as both women went into the lift. 

 

“I just felt like doing so. It’s been a while since we joked around like this.” Jindori laughed like a baby. 

 

“I hate you.” Kim Lip then pulled off her infamous stank face, not bothering to look at her wife for the entire afternoon. 

 

---

 

“Baby, are you still angry at the joke I came up with just now in the car?” The fish puffed her cheeks and rested her head onto the owl’s strong muscular shoulders as they watched the television together after the dishes were washed.

 

“No.. You know I can’t stay angry at you for long, right?” The owl returned the favor and snuggled her face close to the fish’s neck. 

 

“Your hair smells so nice, what shampoo are you hiding from me?” The shorter woman went on closer to her wife and was about to touch the skin with her lips when the older woman pushed her away in a split second. 

 

“Hnngh..!” The owl whined loudly, but the sudden appearance of a finger showing up in front of her lips caused her to shut up instantly. 

 

“??” The confused owl tilted her head as she witnessed the other lady walking out of the room and the room stayed eerily silent for the upcoming 5 minutes ahead. Sensing no sounds from her wife since she left the room, she started to panic. 

 

“Jinsoul ah.. Come back now, please?” 

 

As soon as Kim Lip ended her words, the lights out. Clearly, there was someone who was purposely hiding from her place and the scared woman wasn’t having any of it. 

 

“You better show yourself before I kick you out of the house.” Whether the owl was lying or not, her message was well taken in and the other party scooted up to her side. 

 

“Sorry baby for making you wait so long.” A warm pair of arms wrapped itself around the tiny owl as it allowed itself to be carried to the bedroom. 

 

“Where are we going?” Kim Lip asked cautiously while holding tightly onto her wife’s hands.

 

“I’m taking you on a test drive with me tonight. Enjoy it as much as you can.” The blond then sealed a kiss with her wife after the door clicked behind their backs in the dark.