Chapter Nineteen

You and Me

“Donghae?”

The said man startled and turns his back harder than he supposed to do. He is not the one who needs to blame to, since he was making coffee in the office room alone and didn’t realise there is someone who waiting for him and suddenly called his name. He doesn’t hear any sounds and this Cho Kyuhyun –the man who made him startled– chuckled and pats his shoulder lightly like he hasn’t done anything wrong.

“I’m sorry.” He said but laughed again in next seconds when Donghae rolls his eyes. He forced himself to stop because he remembers there is something he wants to say, the reason why he disturbed Donghae. “Well, I wanna inform you that Mister Lee is looking for you.”

“W-what?” Donghae gasped and stop abruptly from stirring his coffee. He swallowed his saliva which suddenly feels like swallowed a rock that stuck in your throat.

Kyuhyun nodded and shrugs his shoulders, shamelessly taking the cup and sipping the coffee Donghae made. “Yeah, Mister Lee. Hyukjae’s father.” He sips one more time and shook his head when Donghae still looked at him with eyes widened. “He is waiting for you in the meeting room.”

Never. Never in his three years working at Lee Group, the main CEO as known as Lee Hyukjae’s father called him to talk. No, Mr Lee has a very good reputation and knowing for his humble and kindness. He would smile to every single his staffs, giving them a compliment, forgiving his staffs mistakes, and patiently guiding them when they’re wrong or have any questions. But since Donghae never in such an important position before and he never thought he had any question (well, he is insecure as well), he never talked or met Mr Lee personally. He didn’t even sure the man knows he is one of his worker.

Now hearing the man wants to see him, Donghae admits he feels nervous and fear. Hyukjae is still busy –he is attending another meeting outside the company– while Donghae is checking on the progress of their products on their website and arranging his meeting schedules which is getting crazy this week. He started to recalls if there is any mistake he could make and his stomach starting to aching due of panic.

Kyuhyun chuckled when he saw how tensed Donghae body is and snorts.

“You should relax, bro! Mister Lee is not going to kill you.”

Donghae smacks Kyuhyun’s shoulder lightly before he heads to the meeting room. Leaving the younger behind him. With heavy steps, he walked slowly while thinking what he has to say about his mistakes later –he suddenly feels sure he has made a mistake– and just with the thought of it, he feels his stomach dropped to his feet and it’s hard to catch an air. Every step is harder and heavier.

What if… he mads at me?

His hand shivered but succeed to knock the door. He stood for a while, waiting for a sign to come in. His breath hitched when a familiar deep voice finally can be heard. Donghae opened the door, he smiles awkwardly and his heart beating too fast like it is ready to drop anytime. He feels his back slowly wet by his own sweat.

Seriously, his situation now making him compares to his nervousness with Hyukjae. Different. Yeah, it’s a big different. He decided that his heart beating faster when meeting the director’s father than Hyukjae although it has different reason. It’s funny but at the moment, Donghae couldn’t think straight other than how to act normally instead of like a stupid man. He has to feel grateful because he succeed to walk without tripping by his own feet and falling with his lips kissed the floor.

“Have a sit, Donghae,” Mr Lee said with a warm smile and points to a chair opposite of him and Donghae doesn’t need to be told twice. “You’re my son secretary, right?” Mr Lee asked with his deep voice and a smile tugged on his lips.

Donghae gulped. He starting to think other things such as… what if Mr Lee actually found out his relationship with Siwon in the past? It’s not bad things if Mr Lee considered it as a mere past relationship but the fact that his son also in love with him… what if Mr Lee thought that he is the one who influenced Hyukjae to be gay and giving his son the negatives effect?

“Y-yes, Sir.” He tugged the hem of his shirt unconciously.

“Am I scared you?” The old man chuckled and Donghae blushed since he was caught-off guard. Hearing the old man’s chuckled making Donghae feels a bit relax eventhough his heart still pounding hard because the fear is still at there.

“T-thank you, Sir.” He said when Mr Lee giving him a cup of hot coffee.

Mr Lee smiling and looking at his son’s crush attentively. It was not a new thing in their family. Hyukjae had opened himself and saying it’s true that he is having crush on Donghae. Of course, his wife, his daughter, and himself were surprised since it has been a long time he found his son is interesting with someone and admit it easily to them. Usually, Hyukjae will choose to keep quiet but they guessed, Donghae must be really special for Hyukjae. And they totally support him everytime he has crush and relationship.

True that Mr Lee never met or talked with Donghae before so when his son mentioned his name for the first time during their dinner, he frowned and couldn’t figure anything. He remembers his daughter whimpered in curiosity and his wife kept trying to make him remembered each of his workers because they really wanted to know about Donghae and his son.. he was laughing happily because of the curiosity. Unfortunately, he couldn’t remember and his wife and daughter had to sigh while Hyukjae smirked as he had won something.

Well, they never limited their children society. They never forced their son or daughter to marry someone as fast as possible or should have normal relationship like mostly people do. In fact, they are quite open-minded and chill even when Hyukjae came out and stating himself as gay few years ago. For them, as long as their children are happy, they will also happy for them.

So as soon as Hyukjae said he loves Donghae, Mr Lee rapidly tried to find his profile. Not in a bad purpose, he just wanted to make sure his son is in love with a right person. All of them knew how Hyukjae’s relationship in the past wasn’t going really well so Mr Lee wants to prevent the same thing happened in the future.

The day when he found all about Donghae’s profiles was also the same day when Hyukjae decided to choose Donghae as his secretary. Mr Lee didn’t against it eventhough he was shocked –oh the whole family was– but he believes in Hyukjae decision. He knows how calm and clear his son is so he let him to do that. Afterall, he is still controlling and checking about his son’s work and so far it’s still great.

Seeing Donghae’s appearance now and remembering about the way Kyuhyun –his nephew– description about him, Mr Lee couldn’t help but smiling. He has checked all about Lee Donghae with Kyuhyun’s help and find out the guy is very talented but keep it humble. Not only has good appearance, but his attitude also the best. And now as he talking to the man, he gradually see the reason why his son loves him.

He looks innocent and pure.

Mr Lee can sense Donghae is not the type of just wanted their money and looking for their wealth. No, he is far from that. He smiles when Donghae blinked his eyes and asking him to take a sip of his coffee.

“How’s your day, Donghae?”

“Fine… and good, Mister Lee.” Donghae smiles hesitantly, keep asking himself if he has given the right answer.

“Are you sure? Not feeling tired of your position?” The old man laughed heartily when he saw how Donghae looked so confused. He bets, he was the first person to ask him about that but once again, he has no bad intention. “You’ve been working together with my son for more than a month. Don’t you think sometimes he is just too much?” Mr Lee made a contorted face, which made Donghae held himself for laughing. He never thought Mr Lee is this funny and friendly. And for some reason, Mr Lee reminds him of Hyukjae.

“Lee Hyukjae-ssi is kind and nice.” He began and starting to think the time they’ve spent to work together. The fact is, Hyukjae mostly cheered for Donghae everytime he felt the younger tired and it was really touching. “He is kind and perfectionist but I can understand why he is like that.” He smiles when he caught Mr Lee feeling proud hearing those words.

Truth to be told, Lee Hyukjae is very perfectionist. He doesn’t like to fail or making mistakes and he is very detail person. Sometimes, Donghae feels curious by how actually Hyukjae’s mind worked because he always find it amazing. Hyukjae’s head full of great ideas and sometimes Donghae feels ashamed since he can’t catch Hyukjae’s mind as quick as others but Hyukjae always told him that it’s okay because it’s not a big problem and continued to explain clearly to him. He just admired Hyukjae more and more everytime Hyukjae answers his question patiently, not like his previous team captain who would snort and giving him death-glare when he did something wrong and far from the expectation.

“Yes, he is perfectionist and stubborn.” The man sighs and looking back to Donghae. “But he is a good kid. He cares for all people around him and although he loves being playful, he can also be serious when people he loves getting hurt.”

“Yes, Mister Lee.”

He can also be serious when people he loves getting hurt.

Donghae gulps when his mind replaying the scene where Hyukjae glared at Siwon and how his serious face looked like when he confessed to him. He starts to feel dizzy when his heart beating too fast than usual.

“What I want to say is, I already knew that my son has a feeling for you.”

Upon the words, Donghae widened his eyes and gasped. He never imagined Mr Lee would know about it eventhough the man didn’t seem bothered or disliking the idea of his son falling in love with his worker. Instead, Mr Lee casually nods and patted his shoulder.

“I’m not forcing you to return my son’s love. It’s not like I’ll fire you if you reject him,” He laughed and clears his throat afterwards to continue, “so don’t feel burdened by this, okay?”

Donghae can’t find his tongue and words to reply. He just nodded, let the old man sentences sink in his mind and he ended up can’t sleep for the night. He started to think more about Hyukjae’s feeling towards him and his feeling for the director and how their interaction these days.

Hyukjae is kind. Very kind, even. He fits all the requirements to be a good boyfriend or even husband, but still Donghae realises every human has their own weakness and no one is perfect but what he wants to say is… he wants to return the feeling but he also afraid if it will be too fast for both of them. Day by day, he started to understand himself and the new feeling started to develop in his heart.

A new feeling that making him more afraid than before. A new feeling that making him confuse but not that he doesn’t know what is it at first. He has found the ansswer. He knows it exactly what he feels.

When he looked at Hyukjae and found the man talked with other people, he started to ask if the man still feels the same to him. He started to ask himself if he is ready to make their relationship more serious.

What if Hyukjae has changed his heart?

Donghae shifts his body, looking at the plain wall across him which didn’t help at all. Their trip to Jeju were enough for him to find all the answer. He knows his feeling has changed and maybe for some people, it’s funny how he could change his feeling when that time he also in relationship with Siwon.

But at that time, he started to realise he indeed deserved better and how his relationship with Siwon was just a waste of time without any progress.

In the top of all, Hyukjae is different. He is kind, caring, sweet, and other positive habits Donghae admires. Hyukjae didn’t hesitant to show his care eventhough they’re in public place. Hyukjae didn’t treat Donghae as if he is making everything worse. He treats Donghae better than Siwon. Much better.

But… what if Donghae doesn’t deserve Hyukjae?

Hyukjae is almost perfect while he is… Donghae believes there are many people who better than him to be with Hyukjae.

Well… he can’t let it be, right?

Donghae shakes his head, feeling headache just with this thought. He lays his body again and decided to force himself to sleep. He has a lot of work waiting tomorrow and he can’t sleep too late if he wants to look normal.

At least, he has to try.

 

.

.

.

 

It is eight in the morning and Donghae has arrived. It’s not a new thing for him to arrive earlier than most of the workers. He is waiting in front of the elevator while fixing his tie. He didn’t have a good sleep but at least, he looked better than didn’t sleep at all. Donghae was about to walk-in when the elevator opened but the sight of Hyukjae talking with other woman in the hallway making him stop.

The woman is pretty. Her slim body wrapped with blue plain t-shirt with white mini skirt, her wavy brown hair looked so soft and a sweet smile on her lips just emphasize how pretty she is. It looks like every single expression will look so good on her even with the worse expression, she will nail it. They talked about something which Donghae didn’t know but it seems like not something important because Hyukjae chuckles a bit and nods in a playfully way.

But the next thing the woman did makes him couldn’t breath properly. The woman laughed and hits Hyukjae’s arm lightly and they seems… close?

Donghae never seen her. He didn’t even remember if she is a part of the company or not because her face just looked foreign. It’s too late for him to control his mind and unimportant thoughts.

What if Hyukjae falls for her?

What if I’m too slow?

Lost.

He finally admits the feeling that disturb him for a few days. He eventually admits it by himself that he is afraid to lose Hyukjae. He started to feel afraid if Hyukjae is boring with him and the thought of it somehow giving him more anxiety.

What if he has found someone better than me?

But a pat on his shoulder succeed to startling him. Kyuhyun laughed when he saw his surprise expression and pointed to the elevator.

“I’m sure you’re waiting for elevator, right?” He steps in after giving Donghae a wink, which making Donghae rolled his eyes.

For a moment, he wished Hyukjae would also come in but no, Hyukjae is still talking with the woman. Seriously… although Hyukjae also comes early most of the day but isn’t this too early for them to talk and laughing together?

Donghae stares at his wristwatch. Kyuhyun stands beside him and pressed ‘10’ and ‘12’, Donghae’s room and his.

His eyes shined in a glitter of playfulness when Donghae unconciously keeps a straight face. “Keep calm, Donghae.” Kyuhyun said suddenly and snorts when Donghae giving him questioning look. ”I know you were looking at Hyukjae just now.” He smirks when Donghae gives him a questioning look. What is the surprise, anyway? He is Kyuhyun, the observant. “For your information, that woman is our cousin who is just came back from Paris.”

Donghae should have acts cool and not bothering by Kyuhyun’s laugh but he can’t. Instead of being cool, his cheeks are flushing like a teenage girl who caught-off guard admiring her crush and he blames Kyuhyun for that.

The woman is their cousin. He was jealous because the woman acted close to Hyukjae. Okay, is he humiliating himself now? What is funnier than it, now?

Donghae quickly walks to his room, ignoring Kyuhyun teasing voice behind him. He stunned when he sees Hyukjae already inside the room with a report in his left hand while his right hand is holding his phone.

Hyukjae raised his head and smiles. “Good morning.” He greets happily, unnotice how puzzled Donghae looks. “Can I see the report from Jung company?”

Donghae nods rapidly and rushes to his place. He quickly hands Hyukjae the file he wanted and begins to focus on his own work. Donghae didn’t care with how Hyukjae looked at him right now. Oh, he suddenly wishes someone comes and melted this awkwardness between them. Perhaps barely meet each other makes them awkward now.

Damn, it’s because my stupidity this morning.

Although they didn’t talk, Donghae enjoys Hyukjae presence in the room. It was just a few days the man had to go outside for meeting but Donghae felt so lonely. At least, today Hyukjae will just stay at the company and held the meeting there.

Donghae secretly stealing a glance to his side. Hyukjae is focusing on checking the report he has finished and he looks so cool with his round black glasses on. Donghae is shy but he has to admit he misses this view. Working together with Hyukjae and hearing his voice are two things he finds it as enjoyable activity.

He doesn’t know that Hyukjae also feels the same. The young director is so happy to able sits on his office room again, right beside the person he loves, and enjoying checking the reports. It’s been a few days that both of them were busy with their own works and only talked if it’s about work matters.

It’s unpredictable for them that their company got a lot offers from other brand to do collaboration that made him has to divide his job to Donghae and the result, he stays outside more often than usual while Donghae has to handle calls, meeting arrangement, checking his reports, making proposals, and others. Sometimes they’ll talk by phone to discuss better, sometimes by texts. When he had to go outside, he only could see Donghae for a few minutes, talking about his next schedules or how he planned about the next steps of their work and it felt so hard for him since he wanted to talk and chat like they usually did.

Although he has Kyuhyun to help, Hyukjae still worry if Donghae would feel extremely tired. It’s been a while since they had time together with just joking around and Hyukjae really misses him. That’s also the reason why he choose to focus since the morning he came because he wants to finish his work faster and helps the other man. 

And time ticks faster than he thought, just like he wished. When he raised his head to look at the clock, it shows 12.30 PM which means they are a bit late for lunch. Hyukjae glances at Donghae who didn’t notice about the time since the man still reading the emails they received with adorable expression.

Hyukjae decided to go out to the rest room and while he is on his way, he called his favorite Japanese restaurant and ordered food for their lunch.

 

.

.

.

 

Donghae stares at Hyukjae who is munching his food without any care of his surrounding. He smiles when he looked at their food. Thanks to Hyukjae so he didn’t need to going down to buy his lunch and face the long lines.

Well, it’s not the thing he wants to think.

Donghae can feel his cheeks becomes hot with the thought he is about to ask. He never done this before as he remembers so it is hard for him. Moreover, it’s Lee Hyukjae. He may in the same room with him but Donghae still feels he doesn’t know all about Hyukjae, including this one thing.

Donghae inhales as many air as he can and fished out his phone. He opened the page he was looking yesterday. It was nothing much for some people yet for Donghae, this is going to be hard and his heart even can’t stop pounding crazily.

Hyukjae drank his tea as he finished his food. He stretched his arms and looking around his room. There are still a few more reports and he is going to have his meeting in less than two hours.

Donghae has no time to prepare his sentences. He can’t even breath properly while keep his eyes on Hyukjae. His heart thumps faster each seconds and his hands even shaking.

“H-Hyukjae,” Donghae fists his other hand in order to make him stronger and looks determine but his red cheeks misunderstood by Hyukjae. Right when he was about to open his mouth, Hyukjae moves closer and looks so worry.

“Donghae? Are you okay?” He asked, putting his hands to the latter shoulders. He scans Donghae from head to toe, making sure he is fine but he froze when Donghae out of sudden caressing his arm. “What happened to you? Is everything fine?” But Hyukjae feels something is odd.

“I want to ask you…” Donghae gulps down his saliva and whispers, “i-if you h-have time this Saturday n-night because I… t-there is n-new movie and I w-want to watch it.” Donghae really wants to bury himself right now. How come he speaks like that? “Forget it. I—“

Hyukjae grabs his hand and squeezes it lightly. “Let’s watch it together, then.” Both of them staring at each other. Hyukjae tugging his lips until form a small smile that makes Donghae follows him unconciously. It’s not only Donghae’s heart that pounding so hard but Hyukjae’s too.

Hyukjae never thought the dark sky on that day could be beautiful and will be memorable for him. The day they started to become closer than they used to be. They day they decided to start together. The day that Hyukjae and Donghae silently admit as their date.

 

So yeah, this is the new chapter for this fic. How's it? Sorry for the long wait for this ficT_T Is the pace too fast? Or the story getting weird now? Kkk, anyway, thank you for all the supports, subscribing, comments, suggestions, and for everyone who still waiting and reading this fic❤️ I'm safely say this fic will end soon, maybe one or two more chapters^-^ I'm still writing for the next chapter and will post it soon^-^ Thank you❤️❤️❤️ Have a nice day and stay safe!^^