Remember Me This Way

OneShot: KkuChaen


Chaeyeon and Sakura are on the way to a private resort to celebrate their first anniversary as a couple. Sakura is the one driving, Chaeyeon in the passenger's seat, their hands intertwined. The weather is really nice that day, they left the car windows open. Chaeyeon began singing, Kkura tries to sing-along. It is a long drive so Kkura started to feel hungry. Chaeyeon picked out some snacks that they packed and started feeding her hungry driver. She by delaying on giving the food to her. She even acted as if feeding a baby. Well, Kkura is her baby anyway. Both of them were enjoying this drive until they heard a loud honk. A car is approaching from their right side, it's so fast and seemed to lose its control. A few moments later, a big collision took place...
 

 

 

It's been a week since the unfortunate accident. A supposedly happy trip turned into a devastating one.

Chaeryeong, Chaeyeon's sister is inside the private room when she saw Kkura's fingers moved. She immediately called the doctor to check Kkura's condition. Her vitals are stable now, they are just waiting for her to regain consciousness. That slight movement kept their hopes up.

Chaeryeong stayed by Kkura's side all day she fell asleep on the couch beside Kkura's bed.

A soft voice woke her up. She wanted to ignore it thinking she's just having a dream but the voice got louder. She slowly opened her eyes and looked at Kkura. She stood up immediately as she saw Kkura looking at her. When she approached her, Kkura spoke, "Chaeyeon..."

Chaeryeong was startled. She held Kkura's hand and said she'll call the doctor.

When the doctor arrived, she checked on Kkura. All seemed fine until Kkura called Chaeyeon again while looking at Chaeryeong.

The doctor and Chaeryeong looked at each other. After a few seconds, Chaeryeong gave a nod.

Chaeryeong held Kkura's hand and gave her a concerned look.

"Chaeyeon..."

"Hmmm..."

"Chaeyeon-ah..."

"I'm here... Don't force yourself to speak, just rest for now."

"Sorry..."

Chaeryeong is trying her best not to be emotional.

"Hey, stop that. Don't worry about it. Just focus on getting better."

"I love you... Jjaeyeon..."

Kkura then closed her eyes. Chaeryeong tapped her head and slowly left her side. She turned her back and allowed the tears she held back a while ago to flow.

 

-------------------------

 

It's an accident, nobody wanted it to happen. But that accident caused someone to lose someone.

They promised to be together forever but it turned out, Kkura had to live only with Chaeyeon's memories from now on.

Chaeryeong never had it easy. Losing her unnie and almost losing her other unnie. The devastation she faced is incomparable. She tried her best to be strong in the midst of an unexpected lost. She cried until her eyes dried up from crying. But she decided to pull herself together because she knows her unnie wouldn't want to see her this way. She promised her unnie that she'll take care of Kkura.

"It's a miracle she survived."
That's what the doctor said after seeing what Kkura suffered. After several tests, Kkura got her arms ang legs injured. The doctor said they have to wait for her to get conscious to see if there are other complications.

Seeing Sakura get her consciousness back caught them by surprise. When she called Chaeyeon, they realized they have something to deal with.

When Chaeryeong went out of the room she talked to the doctor about what they did. She apologized to the doctor but insisted that it is the best thing to do for now since Kkura is not that healthy yet. The doctor is still hesitant about it but Chaeryeong pleaded to do it just until Kkura gets better.

"We will let her know. Just not now", Chaeryeong assured.

 

-----------------------

 

Chaeryeong remembered her promise to her unnie, to take care of Kkura. She geared up as she will face Kkura today not as Chaeryeong but as Chaeyeon her sister.

When she entered the room, Kkura was already awake.

"Unn... Saku-chan!", she greeted excitedly.

Kkura smiled.

"How are you?"

"I'm okay. Just a little pain here (pointing to her right arm) and here (pointing to her right leg)."

"Are you hungry?"

"Yes. Very."

Chaeryeong fed her unnie. She tried to mimic how Chaeyeon does it. Feeding Kkura like a baby.

"By the way, where's Chaeryeong?"

Chaeryeong almost dropped the spoon she's holding.

"She's busy nowadays but she never forgets to visit you. Her timing is just not right, she comes when you're sleeping."

"Ah, you should've wake me. I miss her."

"Next time."

"When can we go home, love?"

"Hmmm...let's ask the doctor later. We have to make sure that you're fully well."

Kkura spread her arms wide asking Chaeryeong for a hug. With a bit of hesitation, Chaeryeong hugged her unnie.

"I missed you", Kkura whispered.

"I missed you too", Chaeryeong responded.

"I love you," Kkura uttered and tighten their hug.

Chaeryeong closed her eyes before she replied, "I love you too."

 

------------------

 

Kkura's condition became better faster than expected. In two days she'll be able to go home.

In two days, she'll know what really happened that day.

Chaeryeong and Kkura's doctor agreed to tell Kkura the truth once she gets discharged from the hospital.

Chaeryeong drove Kkura home. While on their way, Kkura remembered the accident they experienced.

"It's a miracle we survived that accident", Kkura said.

Chaeryeong is shocked on what she heard.

"We're lucky, I guess...", she replied.

"We're meant to be together forever"

Chaeryeong doesn't know what to say. She is tearing up, she quietly wiped it.

They went straight to Kkura's room when they arrived. Kkura take a look around then sat on her bed. She saw a box tied with a pink ribbon. She is going to open it when Chaeryeong stopped her.

"Unn...Saku-chan...unnie..."

"Why are you calling me unnie all of a sudden?"

"Because you're my unnie."

Kkura blurted a short laugh then gestured Chaeryeong to come to her. Before Kkura was able to speak again, Chaeryeong started talking.

"I'm not Chaeyeon. I'm not your Jjaeyeon..."

"What non-sense are you saying?"

"It's the truth, unnie. It's me, Chaeryeong."

Kkura is so confused she kept shaking her head.

"Don't do this. It's not funny."

"I'm sorry. We didn't tell you because we don't want to worsen your condition. We waited for you to get better."

Kkura looked at Chaeryeong. She just stared at her for a long time. She stood up, touched her hand, cupped her face and hugged her. Chaeryeong was about to hug her too when Kkura stepped back and put her head down. She started crying.

"Where is she?"

Chaeryeong bursted in tears. It took a while before she's finally able to talk.

"She's gone, unnie."

Kkura lifted her head, tears continuously flowing from her eyes. She sat on the bed once again.

"Take me to her."

"Just rest first. Let's go to her tomorrow."

"I want to go to her now", Kkura raised her voice.

"Unnie..."

"Jjaeyeon, I want to see Jjaeyeon", Kkura uttered while crying.

Chaeryeong pointed on the box with the pink ribbon. They found something from the private resort where Chaeyeon and Sakura supposed to stay.

It's an external hard drive full of their pictures and videos including the video greeting Chaeyeon recorded for their anniversary.

Chaeryeong quietly left the room to let Kkura have her moment with Chaeyeon.

 

(Video playing)

"Hi, Saku-chan!", Chaeyeon greeted excitedly.

Kkura immediately paused the video and started crying again. After gaining some strength she pressed the play button.

"Happy anniversary! Are you surprised? I'm sure you are. Let's enjoy this weekend as we celebrate one year of being together."

The video is paused again. Kkura's sobbing filled the room.

"You said you want to see me dance in front of you forever, right? I'll do that. Promise. I'll dance for you today too (Chaeyeon dancing)."

Kkura kept rewinding the part where Chaeyeon is dancing.

"I love you, Saku-chan. I love you so much. It's really fate that brought us together. I'm so happy to have met you. Ai eru!"
Chaeyeon kissed the camera.



 

Sakura laid down to bed crying. Her crying can be heard even outside the room. Chaeryeong who stayed just outside the door is sobbing so hard as well.








 

-END-