- 1919: Part 1

Thousand Years

1919

 

Eunbi walked down the street with her hands inside her jacket. She lifelessly looked straight down without a care in wherever she was going.

 

The cold wind causes her hair to mess up but she doesn't fix it. She didn’t even actually notice. Her attention was beyond her surroundings, beyond earth itself.

 

A few steps later, she stops infront of her house. 

 

She just looks at the entrance, not really thinking of anything. Her legs are planted on the ground as she pointlessly looks straight ahead. 

 

The door opens and out comes Sakura, her fellow vampire. 

 

"You're spacing out again." Sakura says as a matter-of-factly as she walked down the stairs and looks closely at Eunbi. 

 

Eunbi, who seems to have her mind back again, flinches and gasps. 

 

"You look really pale." Sakura notes. 

 

"We're vampires. We're naturally pale." Eunbi says as she walks past Sakura and into the house. 

 

"But not like Snow White type of pale. You haven't eaten have you?" Sakura worriedly asks as she followed her friend into the living room. 

 

"I forgot." 

 

"How did you forget to eat?" Yujin says as she walks outside her room with a pack of milk. 

 

"Why are you drinking milk?" Sakura looks at her strangely. 

 

"I drink it whenever we don't have blood supplies left. Nako forgot to order our monthly pack." 

 

There was silence and Yujin elbows Sakura. She then points to Eunbi who was sitting on the sofa while looking spaced out. 

 

"Is it that time of the year?" Yujin whispers. 

 

"You know how she gets all depressed whenever it's winter. And she loses herself whenever it's the first snow. I'm glad that the first snow hasn't happened yet, or else we'll be dealing with a wrecked Eunbi." 

 

"It's been exactly a hundred years. She still hasn't moved on?" Yujin sighs. 

 

"I don't think you can move on from losing your soulmate." 

 

"Well she is really whipped."

 

Eunbi slowly turns to them and glares, "I can hear you two you know."

 

"But seriously speaking," Yujin sits beside her in the sofa, "You need to get your life together. What will you be doing for the next thousands of years? You can't just break down every time it's winter." 

 

"You say that because you haven't found your mate yet." Eunbi glares.

 

"Hey! I'm working on it." Yujin huffs. 

 

"Move on, Eunbi." Sakura pats her head.

 

Eunbi grunts.

 

But for the first time this day, she thinks.

 

She thinks if it's really right to just forget about it. To just forget how she failed Hyewon. How her promises went to hell after a few minutes it was said. 

 

How she saw her die infront of her without being able to protect her. 

 

Was it okay to just move on from those mistakes?

 

"Hyewon wouldn't like it if you remain like this." Sakura says. 

 

"You haven't even met her. How would you know that?" Eunbi scoffs. 

 

"Because a person who loves wouldn't want their loved ones to be all sad and miserable." Chaewon says as she walks in the room, "Imagine if it was the other way around. You died and Hyewon lived on. And you'll see her crying and being depressed all the time. It would hurt you to see her like that right? So fix yourself. You wouldn't want to do that to her her."

 

Eunbi stays quiet. Chaewon did have a point. And Eunbi curses how that feels so accurate. 

 

So she made a decision. 

 

She would not forget about Hyewon. She would love her now and for the next years to come. But she wouldn't be miserable. She would be happy. Because that was what Hyewon would want her to feel.

 

"I guess you're right..." 

 

"I'm always right." Chaewon laughs. 

 

Yena enters the living room and hears about what they have been talking about. 

 

"Finally." She says to Eunbi who just glares at her. 

 

"The first step to fixing your life is to eat. Feed yourself. You look ugly as heck. One could even say you’re dead." Yena says to her. 

 

"We technically are dead. And besides, Nako forgot to order a pack of blood. How would I ea-" 

 

"Just look for a random human outside." Yena says. 

 

"No." Eunbi disagrees, "I don't want to kill a human."

 

"You just have to drink. I didn't tell you to drain every single liquid she has on her body." Yena rolls her eyes.

 

"Eww. That means drinking her sweat and oil and urine and-"

 

"Where did that even come from?!" Chaewon glares at Yujin.

 

"Please shut up." Eunbi deadpanns. 

 

"Just drink like a liter or something. A human doesn't die from losing a liter of blood." Sakura says, "How long was it since you last drank blood anyway?" 

 

Eunbi stops to think, "About three months?" 

 

"Girl you are in need of that red liquid. Go outside and look for a victim. Just make sure to erase your bite marks so people wouldn't notice." 

 

Eunbi takes a deep breath. Her chest goes into a slow steady pace.  Her fangs appeared and her eyes turned bloody red. It's been a long time, but she still wouldn't forget the taste of blood.

 

She may be controlled but she's still a vampire. And the lust for blood never disappears from a vampire, even after a big heartbreak. 

 

So Eunbi walkes outside, ignoring Yena and Yujin quarreling about something and Sakura talking on the phone with her mate.

 

She sighs in relief when she realizes that it's night time already. It's a lot easier to hunt at night after all. 

 

She walks aimlessly, not knowing where to go. Instead of choosing a victim, she just tries hard to track the scent of her favorite blood type; B

 

There are a lot of people that have B blood types. But she looks for the scent of the strongest one. It's weird. Blood type B isn't as rare as AB or as red as A+. She thinks it's in between. And Eunbi always settles for things in between. She doesn't go too far nor too near. She likes things that are neutral.

 

So she walks while looking down. Focusing hard on lookong for the scent of the strongest blood that appeals to her. She wore her hood and her hands are inside her pocket.

 

As she looks down, she notices a white thing fall into the ground. Her eyes widened in realization. 

 

"The first snow." She whispers. 

 

The first snow has had a lot of meaning to Eunbi. Probably the most memorable one is where she met her dead soulmate. 

 

That memory could never be erased no matter how hard she tried. 

 

Eunbi takes a deep breath. She kicks the snow that is already on the ground infront of her. She's decided to move on. And that's what she'll do. 

 

So she ignores the snow and the tears threatening to fall from her eyes. As she does, she felt the strongest blood among the people in her vicinity.

 

Siyeon's lips tugged into a smile, bloodlust quickly taking over her. She hastily walked into the direction of the scent without looking up. 

 

She was overwhelmed with the scent as she got very close. So she ran and grabbed the human's arm and pulled her towards a dark alley.

 

Her actions were so fast that the victim didn’t even have time to shout for help or to stuggle. 

 

She had no time to check the face of the human she got, but what matters right now is blood. 

 

So she pinned the girl to the wall and hastily sunk her fangs into her neck. Eunbi was so overwhemled with the taste. This human was different from her past victims.

 

The human struggled against her grip. She tries to push the vampire away, all the while whimpering because of the pain in her neck. Eunbi presses a hand to her lips to keep her from shouting.

 

The vampire closed her eyes, savoring the tasty blood that she's drinking. It's been so long since she last drank blood. 

 

"Stop! Please!" 

 

The human whimpers says against her palm.

 

And Eunbi’s eyes opened. She stopped on her blood.

 

Her mind is clouded but she could still process little bits of information. And she definitely has heard that voice before. 

 

Her grip on the human's hands softened. She gulped and slowly turned to look at the human for the first time. 

 

Eunbi’s eyes widened. She felt tears into her eyes. She can't believe that she didn't realize it sooner. 

 

That she wasn't able to recognize that dark brown hair, those small hands, her neck, that adorable little mole on her nose.

 

"Hyewon?" She struggles to say as she was keeping herself from sobbing. 

 

The human looked at her, "How do you know my-" 

 

But she couldn't finish what she was saying as she suddenly lost consciousness. Eunbi’s eyes widened again. The vampire wrapped her arms on the human and studied her face. 

 

"It really is you." She sobs. 

 

She then carefully lifts Hyewon into her arms and made way to her house. 

 

---

 

"Damn." Yena whispers. 

 

"Does she really look like your mate?" Nako asks Eunbi.

 

Eunbi was too busy looking at the unconscious human on her bed that she paid no attention to their questions.

 

She felt happy and confused at the same time. Hyewon is back but she clearly remembers her dying. Not to mention that was exactly a hundred years ago.

 

And to top it all off, she drank blood from this human. She's her victim. She can't believe she made her mate into her victim. 

 

Eunbi wants to punch herself. But then she figures one thing. That maybe it was Hyewon’s scent that attracted her, not her blood. 

 

She turns to look at the falling snow from the window.

 

"Why do I have to meet you during the first snow?" She asks the human. 

 

Yena and Nako looked at each other. 

 

"Do you think she's crazy now?" Yena whispers. 

 

"But she says that it's Hyewon." Nako argues. 

 

"But-" 

 

"Shut up." Eunbi says. "Her face looks like Hyewon. I don't know if she really is the Hyewon I fell inlove with. Heck I don't even know if her name is Hyewon. But I can feel something towards her. And it's not because she looks like my past lover. I can feel the same feeling I had with Hyewon a hundred years ago. You may be right, I may have gone crazy. But she's not just a lookalike. I'm sure of that." 

 

There was silence. Then Chaewon entered the room with a book on her hands. 

 

"I've got it." She says, "It says here in the book that humans are destined to reincarnate if they have a regret when they were alive. They usually have the same face that they had when they were alive. They're also given the same name. But they live different lives. Technically speaking, a person that reincarnates is still the same person that died. So since Hyewon died, she reincarnated again. And that reincarnation is still Hyewon." 

 

“Where did you even get that book?” Yujin says from the doorstep. 

 

“Well considering I’m the smartest and the most functional member of this band of idiots - no offense Eunbi you’re our leader but you’re all sad and - so I’ve taken it upon myself to help you all out.” Chaewon says.

 

“I’m the second oldest, I should be vice leader.” Sakura says.

 

“You wish.”

 

Eunbi stays quiet as she heard the bickering of the other five vampires around her. The only thing resonating on her mind is what Chaewon said. This was her Hyewon? The reincarnated Hyewon?

 

"Would she remember me?" She asks softly to Chaewon, scared of the answer.

 

Chaewon entangles herself from the duel of the other vampires and answers softly, "A reincarnated person doesn’t remember anything from their past life." 

 

Eunbi looks up and slumps into her chair. Her hands reach between her eyes and pinches them as tears begin forming again.

 

"But hey! I read it here that when someone reminds the human about their past life, they would have a hint of what happened. It's kind of a deja vu thing." Chaewon says to cheer her up. 

 

Eunbi looks at her with eyes so fragile and broken that Chaewon can’t help but feel so sad for her thousand year old friend. 

 

They had been friends since they were born. Born straight into a family of vampires, they were pure bloods. They had always been with each other throughout the years but they were separated when Eunbi decided to heroically save her country and join the army. Next thing Chaewon knows, Eunbi comes home to her heartbroken.

 

“So I just need to tell her about her past life?” Eunbi says in her horribly broken voice.

 

"It rarely ever happens though, since no one from the human's past life is alive a hundred years after she died. No one would remind her about what had happened. But us vampires are immortal. We can remind her and tell her. She may regain her memories from her past life." 

 

Eunbi stays quiet and the four other vampires may have thought that she had finally become crazy. 

 

Eunbi looks at the girl lying on her bed, sleeping peacefully and forming the image of an angel.

 

The vampire props her elbows against her knees and puts her face into her hands as she leans closer to look at the sleeping girl. She was still trying to keep in a sob and she wasn’t doing a very good job ay it.

 

The other vampires, upon seeing this, immediately became quiet. They knew how broken Eunbi was when she came home after serving the military. They knew it was because of the girl she loved whom she lost. They looked worriedly at their friend.

 

"It's late. You should sleep." Sakura pats Eunbi’s shoulder. 

 

Eunbi just looks up at her and smiles, "I'm fine. You guys go ahead." 

 

The five vampires were hesitant to leave but they knew Eunbi needed to be left alone with this girl. When the vampires left, Eunbi was left staring longingly at Hyewon.

 

"I’m so sorry Hyewon..." she grunts as she covers her face in frustration. 

 

---

 

Eunbi wakes up from her sleep with her lying her head on the bed and holding Hyewon’s hand in her own. 

 

When Eunbi wakes up she sees that Hyewon has already woken up as well. She immediately sits up straight and looks at the girl. 

 

"Are you feeling okay?" Eunbi carefully asks. 

 

Hyewon looks at her in doubt, she then puts a hand defensively around her neck as she stares at Eunbi with a mix of confusion and fear. 

 

And to say that Eunbi felt hurt with that reaction was an understatement. She was used to the warm stare that Hyewon gives her. This was a stare of a stranger to a stranger. 

 

"I won't hurt you." Eunbi moves closer carefully and Hyewon moved back, "I'm sorry about last night." 

 

But Hyewon still looks at her with so much caution and fear. 

 

"I get it that you're scared. Yes, I am a vampire. And I drank your blood last night. I'm really sorry about that. Please forgive me?" Eunbi bites her lip. She hasn't pleaded for someone in a long time. 

 

Hyewon opens to answer but closed it afterwards. 

 

Eunbi ignores the pain in her heart and continued talking with such enthusiasm for Hyewon to ease up to her.

 

"I'm Kwon Eunbi. What's your name?" She says again after a hundred years. 

 

Hyewon feels a memory rekindle in the back of her brain upon hearing the name of the vampire but she ignores it and dismisses it as the side effects of losing blood.

 

She then looks back at Eunbi and finally answers, "I’m Kang Hyewon." 

 

It was more of a whisper but Eunbi heard it clearly. The vampire sighs in relief. She felt like sobbing and breaking down again right at that moment. 

 

That reincarnation thing wasn't a lie. This was really Kang Hyewon. The Kang Hyewon she loved and still loves up until now. 

 

Eunbi couldn't take it. She bites her lip but tears are already flowing from her eyes. The least she wants is to cry infront of Hyewon but she pretty much has no control over the overwhelming emotions she’s currently experiencing.

 

"Why are you crying?" Hyewon asks. Worry was clearly evident in her voice and Eunbi felt better upon realizing that.

 

"Nothing. I'm just glad." Eunbi wipes a tear. 

 

"Can I hug you?" Eunbi asks in the middle of her sobs. 

 

Hyewon was confused. A vampire bit her last night, then that same vampire is beside her now, apologizing about biting her. Then starts crying and asking if she could hug her. 

 

The human didn't know what to say. But she takes a look into the vampire's desperate eyes. And she melts into the stare. 

 

She then nods, and Eunbi wasted no time into hugging her and crying hard. 

 

Hyewon felt weird. She hasn't met this person until last night but she could feel warmness spread through her with just a hug.

 

So she hugs back and says, "It's warm."

 

And Eunbi cried even harder, "It is." 

 

---

 

"You lost blood. That's why you've been unconscious for a few hours. But don't worry. Your organs will just replenish it and you'll have the same amount of blood that you had in no time." Nako says as she checks on Hyewon’s blood pressure. 

 

Hyewon nod at her as thanks. 

 

She looks around the house. It was dark with not much windows and lights. It had a gothic kind of atmosphere and she wonders if all vampire houses are like that. 

 

"Make yourself at home." Sakura told her as she gave a cup of coffee to her. 

 

Hyewon smiles again in gratitude. She hasn't been talking much for the past few hours, which wasn’t really unlikely of her. 

 

"So where are you from?" Yena smiles at her, "Do you live around here?" 

 

"My parents and I used to live overseas. But then I decided that I wanted to go back to my home country. So then my parents allowed me to go. I've been here for only a few days." 

 

Yena, Sakura and Nako nods as they continue to interview the human, completely oblivious at the fact that Hyewon felt a bit awkward with them. 

 

Eunbi looks at the four and smiles. 

 

This meeting was definitely better than the last one that she met Hyewon. 

 

There is no war. No one hunting for them. They didn't have to run away.  No one has to die this time. 

 

And Eunbi wouldn't let herself lose Hyewon again. 

 

"Do you have a place to stay now?" Yena asks. 

 

"I live in a hotel. But I can't stay there for too long. I would lose every money that I have if I do." 

 

Eunbi perks up. She happily walked to the four and smiled at her soulmate. 

 

"You can stay here!" 

 

The vampires swear that they had never seen their leader that happy before.

 

Hyewon looks at her in confusion,  Yena and Sakura almost snicker at how embarrassing Eunbi is. 

 

"I mean, if it's okay with you to be living with vampires." Eunbi nervously scratched her nape. 

 

Hyewon’s lips turned into a smile as she nodded, "That's fine, as long as you don’t turn me into your lunch without asking me first for permission.” She jokingly glares at Eunbi.

 

Eunbi looks away while blushing, “I really am sorry for that. Like seriously...sorry.”

 

Hyewon stands up and holds the other girl’s hand, “Hey it’s fine. I’m not dead yet. And if you hadn’t bit me that night, I would have no place to stay.” 

 

Eunbi looks at Hyewon and smiles.

 

Yena looked at Sakura beside her and whispers, "This is the happiest I've seen her for the last hundred years." 

 

Sakura smiles and nods. 

 

“I hope it lasts.”

 

---

 

That's that for chapter two. So I made Hyewon alive again djsksjksks. Also i still really find this story a bit bad and cliche but i already started it so lezzgo finish this.