Friends

Thicker Than Water

A/N - A prompt from faithd21 (expanded a little from the original but I hope you still like it)

 

NOTHING AGAINST BLACKPINK OR MONSTA-X I JUST NEEDED BAD GUYS.

 

Friends

 

The Kim daughters were all very different people.

 

Jeongyeon was the jock of the family, she played nearly every sport at their high school and was the captain of their soccer team. Nayeon used to make fun of her all the time for being a meat-head, whenever she and her friends hung out with the guys from the boys school over the road she could turn very “Lads! Lads! Lads!” ( boy for you Americans). The guys would wait by the gate for Jeongyeon and her group and then they’d all walk round to the diner at the corner of the street. See Jeongyeon was one of the guys, she could burp as loud, make dirty jokes and play as well as they could at most sports…except basketball because of the dumb, biological height difference.

 

Momo was in the same group, only she was on the dance squad and therefore never hung out with the boys sports teams from the other school. Usually she would sit with the girls at lunch and then, after school, she’d hang with other members of the dance team. The one time she had been invited to the diner Jeongyeon had decked a guy for making inappropriate comments about her sister. After that Momo only saw those guys at parties. She and Jeongyeon were definitely best friends though so mostly they’d be hanging out with each other when they had nothing planned. Mostly planning pranks.

 

Jihyo was their polar opposite. She was the goody-goody type that constantly berated them for misbehaving at school or failing a test. It didn’t help that she was class president and therefore had a duty to punish her own sisters for being late to class. As close as she was to her only biological sibling, she couldn’t stand her friends and so at school she would avoid them like the plague. Jihyo had inherited Nayeon’s old friend group after the elder had graduated, everyone there was like herself - student council, class reps, honour students. All with a strong sense of duty for millions of things that probably didn’t matter in the real world. In the nicest possible way….they were nerds.

 

Sana was not a nerd, she was one of the “Golden Five” - a group of five girls that girls at their school hated and boys from the school opposite wanted. They were y, gossipy, life ruiners when they didn’t like you. While Sana herself didn’t partake in these things often, she used to have quite the mean streak. It had only been when a girl she had picked on started picking on Mina for revenge that Sana decided to lower her iness. Her friends however, were not the same. In any KDrama they’d be the main villains. They could make or break someone, they decided who was in and who was out while they themselves were untouchable.

 

Nobody hated Sana’s friends more than Chaeyoung. The troublemaker didn’t have much in the way of a friend group herself, she only hung around with Dahyun and Mina. Dahyun had been friends with Chaeyoung since they accidentally blew up the science lab freshmen year and Mina had always had a soft spot for Chaeyoung. Mina struggled to make friends so Chaeyoung introduced her to Dahyun and that was their group.If Mina had a recital and Dahyun was teaching piano, Chaeyoung would be up to no good. She liked the thrill of petty theft, revelled in the destructive art of graffiti, adored joy riding with the groups fourth member - Somi. At school they were known as losers but outside Chaeyoung was a delinquent and she wore that label with pride.

 

Usually these groups stayed as far from each other as possible, however when Tzuyu finally got to high school all elder siblings were sat down and told to look after her. Somehow all the girls separately decided they would incorporate baby Tzu into their friendship circles. If she was in their group she’d be safe from the perils of high school! Right?

 

Of course nobody thought it a good idea to talk to each other about their plans….or Tzuyu for that matter. So when Tzuyu got off the bus that morning the first issue arose: both Jeongyeon and Jihyo called her over to where they stood with their friends….at separate corners of the courtyard. For a second Tzuyu looked between them, awkwardly fiddling with the strap of her satchel as she worked out what to do. Luckily, Chaeyoung appeared and tugged her over to where Mina, Dahyun and Somi stood.

 

“Hey Tzu.” Mina smiled,

 

“Thanks….didn’t know who’s heart I could break Jihyo’s or Jeongyeon’s.” Tzuyu chuckled, awkwardly

 

“This is Somi,” Chaeyoung introduced and the other girl smiled kindly, “She’s insane.”

 

Somi elbowed Chaeyoung in the ribs with a grin, “Nice to meet you, finally the baby Kim!”

 

Tzuyu grimaced, “Please don’t call me that.”

 

Now Tzuyu loved Chaeyoung dearly, she was the closest to Tzuyu’s age and when they were younger they were really close but now that wasn’t the case. Tzuyu was immediately lost in the inside jokes and discussions of people she didn’t know, it meant that even if Tzuyu had been the talkative type she couldn’t contribute to the conversation. She had no clue who Ms Song was….nor what Herbert is. So once the bell rang she quietly asked Mina to show her where to go for her welcome assembly and opted to try and find other people to hang out with. During the assembly she got talking to a girl called Hyewon who seemed nice and they had some classes together. Unfortunately when morning recess rolled round Tzuyu couldn’t find her.

 

“Chewy!” A high-pitched voice called,

 

Tzuyu had just figured out how to work her new locker when she heard the butchering of her name, she turned to find Sana with her own friends at her locker (which happened to be opposite Tzuyu’s). The first thing she noticed was that Sana had rolled her skirt up way to high, Appa Sang would have fit if he saw. Secondly, she noticed Sana’s friends didn’t look too friendly. There was a girl close to her height who was smiling at her but apart from that no one else seemed warm…causing every step towards her beckoning sister make her anxiety raise.

 

Sana hugged her, when she released her the elder kept an arm across her shoulders, “Girls, this is my baby sister - Tzuyu.”

 

“Hi!” The tall girl greeted,

 

“Hello.” Another girl smiled,

 

“...”

 

“Sup.”

 

The last two appeared to despise her mere presence.

 

“This is Lisa, Rosé, Jisoo and--”

 

“Jennie.” Said girl glared, eyeing Tzuyu up and down, “So you’re Sana’s sister huh?”

 

“A-Adopted.” Was all Tzuyu could spit out,

 

“Obviously,” Jennie scoffed, “Your Dads are --”

 

“Jennie.” Sana deadpanned, “Not around her.”

 

Tzuyu looked at Sana, somewhat upset that she would allow her friends to call their Appas that. That was all it took for Tzuyu to decide she didn’t like Jennie, in fact if she could get away with leaving right now she would. But Tzuyu is a poor socially anxious bean and so she spent her break trapped under Sana’s arm, listening to the girls make fun of everyone that passed. Lisa seemed nice enough when she wasn’t talking to Jennie and Rosé was a lot like Sana so Tzuyu liked them but Jennie and Jisoo just kept picking people apart. Plus Jennie kept throwing subtle jabs at her when Sana wasn’t paying attention. The bell ringing was a welcomed escape and Tzuyu ran back to class immediately telling Hyewon about what had happened in the hallway. When lunch came, Tzuyu had asked to sit with Hyewon but she had to go see the principle about something they had messed up on her enrolment documents.

 

Entering the cafeteria she quickly got her lunch and searched the room for people to sit with, Chaeyoung was a big no and so was Sana. She found Jeongyeon and Momo with their friends yelling “Chug!” over an over as one of them downed a ketchup bottle. She’d get along with Mina. Not wanting to be apart of…whatever the hell that was, she was relieved when she spotted Jihyo waving at her. Taking her tray she approached the large table in the centre of the cafeteria.

 

“Ladies,” Jihyo smiled, “This is Tzuyu, it’s her first day.”

 

“Nice to meet you Tzuyu,” One girl greeted, “I’m Irene, this is Seulgi, Wendy, Joy and Yeri.”

 

“I-It’s nice to meet you too.”

 

“Aww she’s so cute!!” Joy burst startling the youngest Kim, the girl blushed, “Sorry…”

 

“Did you guys hear their getting a new Science teacher?” Irene said,

 

“Yeah…a guy this time right?” Jihyo asked,

 

Seulgi nodded, “Poor man is doomed to the sea of hormonal pupils at a girls only school.”

 

“Do we know his name yet?”

 

“Mr Tuan. He’s not Korean I don’t think.”

 

Tzuyu had never been more bored in her life than she was listening to Jihyo and her friends talk shop. She didn’t care about new teachers or changes to the type of soap in the dispensers - Tzuyu was just glad there was soap! To Jihyo’s credit, her friends tried to involve Tzuyu in there discussions but it was pretty clear that she had no clue what was going on so it was kind of embarrassing on her end. It was towards the end of lunch she spotted Hyewon and excused herself to join her, they spent the remained of their break talking about how weird senior students were and getting to know each other. By the end of the day Tzuyu was proud of herself, she’d survived her first day and made a new friend in the process. She had been walking towards the bus home when suddenly she was pushed to the ground.

 

“Watch where you’re going Amber!” A voice snapped,

 

Tzuyu sighed and lifted her head, someone was holding a hand out for her. Tzuyu took the hand and was pulled up to meet the cold eyes of a girl with dyed light brown hair. She held the hand a bit too long before dropping it, the girl smirking and picking up the satchel that had fallen off her shoulder. Tzuyu took it gently from her.

 

“Thanks.”

 

“Sorry my friend ran you over.”

 

“It’s okay--”

 

“Tzuyu-ah!” Jeongyeon’s loud voice interrupted as she and Momo appeared, both glaring at the stranger,

 

Momo slung her arm round there sister, “Good day?”

 

“Err yeah…”

 

“Chong.” Jeongyeon growled,

 

“Kim.”

 

“You got somewhere to be, Elkie?” Momo asked,

 

Elkie scoffed before smiling at Tzuyu again, “I was only helping.”

 

“Well she doesn’t need your help.”

 

The girl rolled her eyes before walking away, “It was nice meeting you, Tzuyu.”

 

“Stay away from my little sister, Chong!” Jeongyeon yelled after her,

 

“What was that about?” Tzuyu asked,

 

Momo led her towards their group, “Chong’s bad news, that’s all you need to know.”

 

Tzuyu said no more as she was pulled towards a large co-ed group of students, “Guy’s this is Tzuyu, Tzuyu these are the guys!”

 

“I’m Bora,” One girl greeted with a kind smile, “Jeongyeon says you’re good at archery? I’m captain of the team if you’d like to sign up.”

 

“Oh! I hadn’t really---”

 

“Soyou, tell your girlfriend to ease up on begging for membership.”

 

“Shut up Hyolyn.” Bora snapped,

 

“Gonna introduce us, Jeong?” A deeper voice asked,

 

All attention went back to the boys in the group, their looks made Tzuyu feel uncomfortable. Her mother had never been a good parent but she had ensured Tzuyu knew how dangerous men could be. She was glad when Momo’s grip on her tightened in an ‘I’m here’ sort of way.

 

“I guess,” Jeongyeon sighed jokingly, “Tzu, this is Wonho, Minhyuk and Shownu.”

 

Tzuyu waved shyly but felt more concerned about how Shownu was looking at her and his lips, “Sup.”

 

Jeongyeon shoved him, “Keep it in your pants dude she’s fourteen.”

 

“But she’s like super hot dude.” Shownu smirked, “I’m sure she’ll appreciate some attention.”

 

Jeongyeon shoved him again, “Back up, bro! I warned you with Momo.”

 

“C’mon Jeong, with a body like hers she’ll have dudes all over her. I just wanna get there firs---

 

SMACK!

 

Right across the face. Tzuyu winced, Jeongyeon had a powerful slap.

 

“Hey Tzuyu!” A voice called,

 

Tzuyu had never been so glad to see Hyewon in her whole life….mostly because they’d only met today but you understand the sentiment.

 

“Wanna get the bus together?” The oblivious freshman asked,

 

Tzuyu nodded, “Dear God, please!”

 

 Aaaaaand that’s how Tzuyu learned that she hated all her sisters friends.

 

Or as she phrases it to them: Learnt to make friends all by herself.

 

Perhaps there’s a reason that none of her sisters talk at school?