Chapter 2

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Monday morning, Chaeyoung walked downstairs, rubbing her eyes. The smell of freshly brewed organic coffee lured her to the kitchen. Her father has already left for work, but her mom and her sister, who was scrolling on her phone and playing with her cereal, were sitting at the table.

"Good morning, Chaeyoung." Her mom looked up and greeted her.

"Morning..." Chaeyoung mumbled and rubbed her eyes, still feeling a bit sleepy.

It was seven thirty and she usually never got out of bed this early, but today was Monday, which meant Chaeyoung had to be at classes in an hour. Student orientation day at her new university was just three days ago, but she already felt at home.

When she first arrived there she marveled at the huge building that was her school to be. The professors she had an opportunity to meet were kind and interesting, nothing like the grumpy boring ones she had in high school. And, most importantly, she was surrounded by friends ranging from her old high school friends, new people she met at orientation and last but not the least, her boyfriend. This school year will be smooth sailing.

Chaeyoung poured herself a cup of coffee and headed back toward the stairs when her mom called out to her.

"Wait, honey." She said loudly and Chaeyoung stopped so abruptly some of her coffee spilled to the floor.

Her mom stood in front of a big full body mirror in the hallway checking her hair out before heading out to work.

"Guess who I talked to yesterday?"

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes, rubbing her sock over the tiny droplets of coffee on the floor. She hated when people made her guess things that she can't possibly know an answer to.

"Jennie's aunt!" Her mom announced, still focused on her reflection in the mirror, while Chaeyoung almost spilled her coffee again.

She regained her composure and adjusted her pink pajama shorts.

"Um, so what'd she say?" She asked trying to sound uninterested but her voice came out deeper and unnatural.

"Jennie moved back to Korea! That's such a lovely surprise, don't you think?" Her mom glanced at her before focusing on a stray hair that kept falling over her forehead.

Chaeyoung set her coffee down on the telephone table in the hallway. She didn't know what to think or how to answer that.

But before she could think of anything to say her mom spoke again.

"If you see her at school today you should invite her to your party, dear. I'm sure she'll be thrilled to see you again. It's been so long..."

Chaeyoung's brain was trying to process everything that her mom had just said.

Not only was her friend that she haven't seen in like nine years back, but she was going to the same school as her? And her mom expected her to just invite her to her party, the one she had been planning for weeks and handpicking every guest carefully.

Chaeyoung wanted to make her presence known at her new university, and what better way to do that than throwing a party to celebrate the start of the school year? But a girl who she hasn't seen for almost a decade wasn't a part of the plan.

For all she knew Jennie could be a completely different person now, maybe they wouldn't get along at all. Or worse, she might actually be the same as she was nine years ago.

"But mom..." She started and her mother immediately gave her a stern look.

"How do I just go up to her and invite her to a party? We haven't talked in years."

"Exactly, it'll be a perfect opportunity to catch up. You two were the cutest friends!" Her mom exclaimed, finally leaving the hallway mirror and heading towards her. She looked at her daughter, and started gently running her fingers through her hair, which was still messy from her sleep.

"Besides, Mr and Ms Kim always took care of you when you were sick. And Jennie is their daughter, your best friend." Her mom reminded her.

Chaeyoung lowered her shoulders. Both of Jennie's parents used to be doctors. When Chaeyoung was little she refused to go to the hospital or any other doctor but them. They were the only ones who didn't scare her to death. Every painful shot she had to take, every breathing assessment that made her stomach cold and uncomfortable, and every other medical exam she had to take, it was always with them. They certainly made it fun, and almost painless. She remembered the fruity candy they would always give her at the end of the checkups and appointments for being brave and enduring everything. Deep down she knew they were the ones who made her want to become a doctor in the first place.

"Fine..." Chaeyoung simply said and her mom placed a warm kiss on her forehead and caressed her cheek.

"That's my girl."

Chaeyoung was still standing in the hallway when her mother left, wondering if she would even be able to recognize Jennie again.

She remembered the last day she has seen her very vividly. It was right after the winter break in 8th grade and Chaeyoung was having a birthday party. A couple of girls stayed over for the night, Chaeyoung's closest friends, and Jennie was one of them. Thinking about that night always made her feel hot and itchy and uncomfortable. The accident happened after her mom and dad came to pick Jennie up the next morning. Chaeyoung didn't even get to say goodbye to her, she slept in. Or pretended to, to be precise. But after the accident happened she never got to see her friend again, who moved to America barely a week later.

"So your bestie's back." Her sister chirped from the kitchen.

"Were you eavesdropping?" Chaeyoung asked, crossing her arms.

"Couldn't help but overhear." Chaeyoung's sister shrugged. "You must be so excited to see her again."

Something about the way her sister said it made Chaeyoung burrow her eyebrows. It almost sounded like she was mocking her.

"Mind your business." Chaeyoung said and her sister giggled. She climbed the stairs, heading back to her room, forgetting her cup of coffee which has already gone cold.

 

 

*

 

 

Jennie walked quickly to her first class of the day, her schedule in her hand.

She missed orientation day because of some delays with her apartment and she already felt like she missed her opportunity to make any friends here. Sweeping by her were people in small groups or pairs, already excitedly chatting about the upcoming classes and making plans. Some people gave her curious and appreciative glances, and at one point Jennie was pretty sure this one girl was about to strike a conversation with her before giving up. People often told her she looked intimidating or unapproachable so it wasn't anything that she wasn't already used to. More often than not, Jennie was thankful people were discouraged before even talking to her. She wasn't the small talk, chatty type.

She was passing by the framed photos of the university's alumnus when someone lightly tapped her shoulder.

"Uh, Jennie?"

She turned to face a girl who looked familiar and foreign all at the same time.

Jennie's heart started to pound.

"Oh my god, Lisa?"

The blonde doll-like girl's mouth spread into a warm smile.

"Wow... I can't believe it's really you."

She pulled Jennie into a tight hug and Jennie could swear Lisa smelled like she always have. Tears almost came to her eyes and she pressed her face into Lisa's shoulder.

She'd worried about how she might react when she saw one of her old friends again, and here was Lisa. Secretly, Jennie felt relieved Lisa was the first one of her friends that she encountered. She was always the kindest and the most patient one in their group, and probably the most mature on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter