Chapter 7

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie squinted at her phone screen and pinched it with her fingers, zooming in. The encounter with the girl that was a fan of Jisoo's poetry reminded Jennie yet again how little she knew about the girl Jisoo is today. So naturally, too shy to ask, she spent the entire morning surfing Google and various fan blogs looking for interesting facts and information she may have missed. Fortunately for her, Jisoo seemed to be very popular and had a lot of fans and news sites talk about her daily. Unfortunately, none of them really provided her with something she didn't already know. She switched to another tab on her browser, which contained celebrity gossip. She scrolled passed numerous paragraphs about other singers and actors until she got to the part about Jisoo.

Jennie's eyes widened. It said that the rumor has it, Jisoo is currently seeing someone. Jennie wondered how in the world anyone found out about them this quickly, until she got to the part that said the person Jisoo is seeing an Italian model.

Bull she mouthed.

The website seemed sketchy and from that point on the rumors got even more ridiculous. One of them said that a very famous idol was lying about his age and he was actually 34 instead of 25 like his official profile says.

Rolling her eyes, Jennie closed the gossip page, barely even paying attention to her surroundings and her professor, Mr Lee, who was repeatedly calling her name. Suddenly, a girl sitting next her elbowed her gently and snapped her back to reality. Jennie raised her head, looking around questioningly.

"Hello? Ms Kim?" Mr Lee, the director of their play, almost shouted.

Jennie swiftly slipped her phone into her purse.

"Y-Yes?"

"Quickly, get up on the stage. It's your turn."

Jennie silently nodded and climbed up on the stage, where Chaeyoung, who she was rehearsing this specific scene with, was already standing and waiting.

"And action!" Mr Lee signaled them to start and Chaeyoung crossed and uncrossed her arms.

It took Jennie a few moments to remember her lines, but before Mr Lee could complain again she started.

"Look! You want to see! See! Feast your eyes on my cursed ugliness! Look at Erika's face!" Jennie started, feverishly rubbing her hands.

Chaeyoung fell down on her knees in front of Jennie, who was now approaching her slowly.

"I frighten you, do I?" Jennie asked, trying to sound as if she was threatening Christine, the opera singer.

"Perhaps you think I have another mask, and that this... this... my head is a mask! Well," She roared. "Tear it off as you did the other. Your hands! Give me your hands!" Jennie seized Chaeyoung's hand tightly and brought it near her face. Chaeyoung whimpered sadly, digging her nails into Jennie's face a bit harder than it was necessary for the scene.

"Ouch!" Jennie screamed and immediately let go of Chaeyoung's hands to touch her face to see if there was a mark.

"What are you doing?" Mr Lee asked, looking impatient.

"She scratched me!" Jennie whined, looking at Chaeyoung accusingly, who barely managed to hide a small smirk.

"Ms Kim are you twelve years old? Ms Park was simply in character. You should try that as well, I don't remember the phantom screaming ouch." He remarked and tapped his pen on the script and faint giggles spread through the room. "Now continue."

Jennie cleared .

"Know that I am built up from death head to toe." Jennie bellowed, glancing down at the script. "And that it is a corpse that loves you and adores you and will never, never leave you!"

Mr Lee let out a long sigh.

"Cut!" He yelled. "I need more emotion from you Jennie. You need to sound impaled, wounded with love and adoration! Try imagining how it would feel like to really be in love with Chaey- I mean Christine."

You don't know the half of it, Jennie thought with a shiver. She was starting to regret auditioning for a role that had so many scenes with Chaeyoung as the scene continued.

"Ms Kim?" Mr Lee called.

Jennie blinked. A few lines had gone by that she completely missed, and now everyone was staring at her.

"I'm sorry, where were we?"

She heard Chaeyoung scoff and Mr Lee looked annoyed. "Chaeyoung, can you repeat your line?"

"No... Forgive me Erika, oh please!"

"I am crying for you Christine, who have torn off my mask..." But as she was saying the words, her thoughts drifted again. She looked at Chaeyoung who was sitting at her feet. What did they argue about the night of Chaeyoung's birthday that was so horrible she couldn't stand her even now? What could've possibly been the argument that ended their years long friendship in just one night? And did she really break up with Chanyeol just because he helped her and Jisoo the night of her party?

"Erika?" A sharp voice called. A vein was pulsating on Mr Lee's forehead and it looked like his head was about to explode.

"Uh..." Jennie glanced around. Chaeyoung had left the stage. Had the scene ended?

Mr Lee shooed Jennie toward the seats. "Raoul you're next!"

Raoul, who was played by Chanyeol jumped up from his seat at the front of the auditorium. Jennie turned back to Mr Lee, who was making marks in his script, probably about how horrible her performance was.

"I'm really sorry about my scene" She said. "I was distracted. I'll get it together next time."

He pursed his thin lips. "I really expect all of you to give your hundred percent each time. Was that your one hundred percent?"

"Of course not." Jennie squeaked. "But I'll be better! I promise!"

"If you don't start taking this part more seriously, I might have to give it to someone else." Mr Lee raised his eyebrows.

"Please don't do that!" Jennie cried.

"Then get your head into this play and focus!" He slapped his script shut. A cough sounded from the right. Sooyoung and Yerim snickered from the front row and everyone stared at Jennie from the audience. Nayeon, who was standing behind Mr Lee the entire time gave her an apologetic look.

"I can do it." Jennie said, but didn't look convinced.

"I have a suggestion. Ms Park can help you practice." Mr Lee said and Jennie stiffened.

"I don't need her..." Jennie paused. "I don't need help."

The vein on Mr Lee's forehead started pulsating ominously once again.

"Actually," Chaeyoung, who was standing below the stage listening to their conversation, cut in, pushing back a lock of her silky blonde hair. "I think you do. If you look bad it makes me look bad too."

Jennie let out an angry sigh. She was about to protest once again, but Mr Lee's irritated face appeared in her mind once again. And besides, Chaeyoung was good at acting. Obnoxious or not, she probably knew a thing or two more than Jennie did. And she needed all the help she could get.

"Fine." She said coldly. "If you think it's really necessary Mr Lee, we can rehearse together."

For the first time that day, Mr Lee looked pleased with Jennie.

"I expect a better performance from you next week Ms Kim." He said and Jennie politely nodded, marching off the stage.

"Excellent as usual Ms Park!" She heard Mr Lee say and Chaeyoung's painfully fake giggle as she was walking back to her seat.

She was surprised to see Jisoo sitting next to it, greeting her with a wide grin.

The wooden chair let out a creak when Jennie sat down on it and leaned to whisper in Jisoo's ear.

"You're late."

"I had another pictorial last night. We were shooting until, like, 2AM." Jisoo explained, and really, Jennie immediately noticed how tired her doe eyes looked.

"I still managed to catch your amazing performance though." Jisoo teased, letting out a chuckle.

"I was just distracted a bit, that's all!"

Suddenly, Mr Lee's voice pierced the room.

"Kim Jisoo, it's your turn!"

On her way to the stage Jisoo winked at Jennie.

"Let me show you how it's done."

Jennie rolled her eyes, but she couldn't help but smile.


 

 

*

 

 

Shortly after the Drama Club ended, Chaeyoung was neatly tucking in her script into her purse feeling satisfied with herself. She wasn't exactly thrilled about helping Jennie with her acting, but Mr Lee seemed to be happy when she agreed to do it. And being a model student always comes first. They agreed to practice at Chaeyoung's place tomorrow afternoon.

While Sooyoung and Yerim were chatting about something that went into one of Chaeyoung's ears and right out the other, her eyes scanned the auditorium for Chanyeol. When she finally found him he was just about to go through the door, next to his friend Sehun and a few girls. Chaeyoung narrowed her eyes at the pretty girl enthusiastically talking to him. Jennie.

Chaeyoung shot across the room.

"Hey, where are you going?" Sooyoung asked, but Chaeyoung left her behind, moving with such sudden speed that she almost twisted her ankle.

"Hey." Chanyeol said, a I'm not doing anything wrong look on his face. Jisoo and Jennie looked at her, with fake friendly smiles on their faces. When Sooyoung and Yerim caught up to her, Chaeyoung grabbed Chanyeol's hand, facing them.

"I forgot to tell you guys, Chanyeol and I are officially back together."

Jennie looked confused and Jisoo's smile dimmed.

"Really?" Sooyoung asked.

"Mhm." Chaeyoung chirped, running her hand over Chanyeol's forearm. Sehun clapped Chanyeol on the back.

"Good for you two."

Chanyeol shrugged and smiled shyly. "I forgot my script." He said, and he and Sehun started walking back into the auditorium.

Chaeyoung linked her arm with Yerim's and shot Jisoo and Jennie a smug smile.

"So who's the winner now?"

Jisoo ran her fingers through her hair. "God, Chaeyoung." She burst out laughing. "You actually got back together with him?"

Chaeyoung scoffed. "You're not used to losing, but face it you did."

Jisoo shook her head and glanced at Jennie, who had a blank expression on her face.

"You don't get it, do you? Neither of us even liked him."

Chaeyoung knotted her eyebrows and Yerim dropped her arm. "Jennie liked him as much as I did. You probably did too."

"Did we? I wanted to see if you'd go after anyone if you thought we were going after him too. The jokes on you Chaeyoung."

Yerim made a soft whiny noise, and Sooyoung puckered her lips trying hard not to erupt into giggles. Chaeyoung blinked hard, feeling like she's about to faint. Could Jisoo be serious? Was Chaeyoung the of the joke?

Jisoo's face softened.

"Oh relax. Think of this as a payback for the invitation stunt you pulled with Jennie, now we're even! Why don't you girls come join us? There's this gorgeous cafe with a garden that opened just down the street."

"Oh, I've been meaning to check that place out." Sooyoung said and looped her arm through Chaeyoung's, but Chaeyoung shook her away. How could Jisoo and Jennie do this? How was this payback for the invitation thing? Chaeyoung hadn't heard from Jennie in nine years, why would she invite her to her party?

But suddenly, Chaeyoung remembered the Jennie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter