Chapter 3

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'll see you around then, Jennie." A voice said in her ear. "Sooner than you might expect."

Jennie shot up.

The dark, familiar figure that had been looming over her face vanished. Instead, she was in her bed. Through the walls, she could hear Kuma's nails hitting the floor in the hallway, reminding her that she should probably cut them for him soon, and out the window she saw that the sun was just coming up. She d the left side of her bed, searching for her phone. It said 7:09AM on the screen.

When she unlocked her phone she almost dropped it on her face when Jisoo's Instagram page popped up. She had forgotten that she spent most of the night scrolling through her social media, until her fingers went numb and she fell asleep. From her lurking session, Jennie had gathered that Jisoo has starred in a couple of music videos, a drama and quite a few commercials. She still loves Pikachu and has an adorable white Maltese dog. At first, she seemed like a brand new person, nothing like the girl that Jennie remembered, but the more time Jennie spent zooming into Jisoo's smile and reading her captions the more familiar she seemed. It wasn't that hard to believe that the girl on the phone screen used to be her old friend anymore, but what was surprising to Jennie is how stunning and attractive she has gotten. Even though she was quite literally losing her mind over the fact the mystery girl is Jisoo, Jennie couldn't help but marvel at how beautiful the girl is, nor could she ignore the way looking at those heart shaped lips again made her feel.

Around 3AM, when Jennie's eyelids got so heavy she could barely keep her eyes open, she almost liked one of Jisoo's pictures on accident and that was her cue to go to sleep. She didn't want Jisoo to know she was a creep who was stalking her social media three hours after midnight. And she also didn't want her to know... well, that she was Jennie.

She pondered about it for a long time after she told Lisa that she wasn't feeling that well and that she had to go home yesterday. If Jennie didn't recognize Jisoo it's only natural that Jisoo wouldn't recognize her either. That is what Jennie wanted to believe, but the fact that Lisa and Chaeyoung recognized her almost instantly didn't make her feel hopeful at all. In fact, it made her feel uneasy. Why would Jisoo kiss Jennie if she knew who she was?

A sudden knock on the front door interrupted Jennie's train of thoughts. It also disturbed Kuma, who started barking loudly at the front door. Jennie stumbled out of bed, wondering who could be knocking at her door this early in the morning.

She scratched Kuma's head, calming him down, and answered the door.

"Good morning, ms Jennie."

"Hyelim, what are you doing here?"

In front of Jennie stood Hyelim, her maid, with two suitcases and a smile on her face.

"Well," Hyelim said and Kuma ran into her arms, her flushed cheek. "Ms Kim didn't like the way you ignored her assistance when you first arrived here. She thinks you aren't quite fit to live alone for the time being."

Jennie rolled her eyes before widened into a bright smile.

Hyelim has been working for the Kim family ever since Jennie was a little girl. She wasn't just a maid, she was a family friend. Sometimes Jennie feels like she spent more time with Hyelim than her parents, who were always busy with work.

She used to tell Jennie and her friends the most riveting tales, bake the best cookies they had ever tried and serve cold lemonade to them during long summer days, when they played by the pool in Jennie's backyard. On particularly hot days she would even get ice cream for them, much to Chaeyoung's pleasure, who couldn't swim and kept cool by consuming cold beverages and snacks. Suddenly, Jennie remembered the first and last time Chaeyoung entered her pool. It was the summer solstice, the last one Jennie got to spend in Korea, and the weather was so hot even Chaeyoung dipped her feet in the pool, sitting at the edge of it. Jennie was having an underwater breath holding contest with Chanyeol, who kept beating her by a few seconds, when Jisoo pushed Chaeyoung into the pool. All heads turned when she let out a piercing scream and disappeared under the water. Chanyeol was the one who swam over and brought her up to the surface and as soon as Chaeyoung touched the solid ground she started crying. Jisoo cried as well, apologizing for not realizing how dangerous and stupid her prank was. And like many times before that, Lisa was the one who calmed everyone down, the apologetic Jisoo, angry Chaeyoung, worried Chanyeol and scared Jennie.

Jennie snapped back to the present, leading Hyelim to the guest room. She did think her apartment was way too spacious for one person, and despite being annoyed with her aunt for trying to subtly control her life again, Jennie was glad she had someone to be around now.

She threw herself on the bed that belonged to Hyelim now and hugged a pillow.

"Hyelim, I need love advice."

"Love advice?" The woman teased, shooing Kuma who was sniffing around her luggage.

"Yeah," Jennie said. "I think I like someone. But she isn't who I thought she was. Now I'm not sure how I feel."

"Well, who is she?" Hyelim asked.

Jisoo, the girl who used to come to our house almost every day.

Jennie groaned. "Ugh, you wouldn't understand."

"Not if you try to explain, ms Jennie."

Jennie rolled her eyes. "It doesn't matter anyway. She's unattainable."

"You know what I always do whenever I have love problems, ms Jennie?" Hyelim asked, making Jennie raise an eyebrow. She had no idea Hyelim even had a love life. "I read my monthly horoscope."

Jennie scoffed.

"I don't think the stars can solve this one."

"You never know!" Hyelim smiled.

Jennie didn't believe in Horoscopes and that the stars and planets control her destiny, and yet, an hour later when she was going to school, she couldn't resist but to check what the universe had in store for her. Ironically, of course.

The current astral configuration may reconnect you with someone whom you once knew a while back, and had almost forgotten. The celestial energy encourages you to choose one person to be your partner, out of many possibilities who might have a key to your heart. One of them is particularly special.

Jennie sighed. The stars definitely weren't on her side.

 

 

*

 

 

"You want to grab something to eat?" Lisa hovered next to Jennie when the final bell of the day rung. A black leather jacket hung loosely off her body, and her hair was in a high ponytail.

"No, I'm good. I'll get something from the vending machine." Jennie answered. "I should head to the administration office to see if I can join a student organization. The Club Fair was on orientation day and I missed it."

A bunch of girls waved at Lisa as they headed towards the side stairs out to the student parking lot. After they passed, Lisa turned back to Jennie and frowned.

"You know you don't get any extra credits for joining one of those, right? You have enough work as it is."

"I guess." Jennie said, walking towards the vending machine. "But I heard the college clubs can be really fun. Not to mention the future employers who care about more than just your diploma."

Lisa smirked.

"Suit yourself." She scanned the rows inside the vending machine. "But if you change your mind about having potato chips for breakfast you can always join me."

When Lisa loped down the stairs leading towards the main exit, Jennie searched her wallet for coins. She inserted one into the machine and pressed a button. While she was waiting she grabbed her phone and typed Kim Jisoo into the search engine for the nth time that day.

Scrolling through the results, she stifled a giggle. There was a photo of a Jisoo looking terrified on a zipline course. Another link lead to YGKPlus' official website. There was a photo of Jisoo looking gorgeous in a black dress, posing in front of a tall building, probably somewhere in Europe. As she tried to magnify the photo to check out Jisoo's waist and legs someone slapped the vending machine making the pretzels she wanted roll out of the machine.

"The machine on the third floor works better than this one. Plus it's the only one that has cherry coke."

Jennie jumped, almost dropping her phone to the floor. She was so immersed in Jisoo's pictures that she didn't even notice that the vending machine wasn't working.

When she looked up at the person who helped her out, her heart stopped. It was a familiar tall, lanky guy, who had an awkward smile on his face now. Jennie recognized the dimple on his cheek, his big eyes, even his ears.

It was Park Chanyeol.

"Wow, hey." Jennie stammered.

He bent down to pick up her bag of pretzels and handed it to her.

"I just wanted to say hello. It's been so long!"

"Too long." Jennie said, smiling.

He was much taller than he used to be, and a lot less skinny. Instead of thick glasses he used to wear back then, he had an alluring smile on his face.

He nodded towards the pretzels she was holding and poked her shoulder.

"I can't believe you still eat those."

"I can't believe you remember." Jennie said, making him chuckle and shyly avert his eyes.

"You know what else I remember? Pigsie."

Jennie giggled, still embarassed, even after all these years. Pigsie was her stuffed pig doll that her dad got her in Sweden. She advised her on love life and she was the only one who knew about the hopeless crush Jennie used to have on Chaeyoung. Jennie couldn't sleep or go anywhere without her.

"I still have her, you know, I just don't carry her around."

"I don't really think she would fit in here." Chanyeol teased, his eyes steady on her.

"Hey, Chanyeol! You coming?" A guy's voice demanded.

Startled, Jennie and Chanyeol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter