Chapter 1

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

- Stop it Kuma! - Kim Jennie spoke to her dog, a Pomeranian with fluffy brown fur, who was pulling on her sundress inside a cab.

Jennie was driving back from Incheon International Airport, after just getting off a flight from New York City. She had spent the last 9 years living in America with her aunt, but now she was back in Korea, ready to start a brand new life, once again. She was marveling at Seoul's scenery, with a blank look on her face.

Nine years ago, when she moved to New York, a new start was just what she needed at the time. Her aunt, a socialite and a philanthropist, who had always wished for Jennie to grow up by her side and blossom among the New York's elite, got her wish in the most twisted way.

Both of Jennie's parents died in a tragic car accident. All they left her with was an inheritance, insurance money and a half moon shaped scar on her right rib cage, a constant reminder of the accident that she survived and they didn't.

Jennie found solace in a foreign country soon after, escaping everything that reminded her of her parents - her old house, Korean dramas that aired every Sunday night at 7PM - her mother's guilty pleasure, her father's favorite restaurant that was only two blocks away from their mansion, as well as her best friends.

Jennie actually had a very tight circle of friends during her childhood years in Korea. In a way she was stuck with them, since they were all family friends and attended the same school as her. Looking back at those blissful years of countless sleepovers, island vacations, first crushes, games they played and secrets they kept, they seem like a very distant memory. Almost like a slice of someone else's life, awkwardly sewn to her own.

New York was completely different though. Whereas Jennie was surrounded by friends and family in Seoul, she spent a lonely nine years in New York City.

It's not like Jennie didn't have any friends there, in fact she was quite popular. But those people never felt like home, although she wasn't even sure what that feels like anymore.

They promised they'll keep in touch, send postcards, have long phone calls and maybe even visit her over the summer. But what Jennie didn't know is that most of them were glad to see her go. The boys saw a girl they wanted to sleep with ever since they remembered wanting to sleep with girls, the girls saw the girl they've been copying since they started shopping for their own clothes, all of them secretly wanting to be her, or be with her.

But Jennie resisted her aunt's attempts at grooming her into a center of prestigious inner circles of New York's upper class to the best of her ability. "You'll thank me one day." That's what her aunt said every time she practically forced her to show up to one of the countless charity parties, fundraiser balls and other social gatherings of this nature.

Jennie knew she would never get used to it, and truthfully she didn't want to. That is why she made arrangements to move to Seoul alone with her dog Kuma before even announcing it to her aunt.

Naturally, Ms Kim didn't like the idea, but ultimately she agreed to let her only niece go. She had no doubts that her aunt has already told all of her friends how Jennie grew tired of New York and has decided to enroll in a university in Korea and spend her holidays in Dominican Republic, Austrian Alps or some other destination that surely stirred envy and admiration.

But now every Seoul sight outside the car window reminded her of the past she wanted to forget. There was Times Square Mall, where she spent hours with her friends from middle school. There was Seoul Forest park where her parents often took her for long walks and picnics.

And there was the sunny, tree-lined road where she often used to ride bicycles with her four closest friends, Chaeyoung, Jisoo, Lisa and Chanyeol. As the car paused at the traffic light Jennie stared. She remembered when her shoelace got caught in the bicycle wheel, making her fall and scrape her knee. She also remembered how she wouldn't stop crying until Chaeyoung applied a bandage to her bleeding knee.

In New York, months would go by when she almost forgot Chaeyoung existed, the first best friend she has ever hand and her first love.

Well, more like her first hopeless crush. Not like she ever acted on her crush or told anyone.

The cab driver continued a few streets down and after a few minutes entered the gated residence where he pulled up to Jennie's soon to be home, a penthouse in an affluent neighborhood, not far away from the one where she used to live.

Jennie kept the location of her apartment a secret from her aunt, who had a chauffeur waiting for her at the airport, almost certainly so she could learn where her niece was moving in. Which is precisely why Jennie used the rear exit at the airport and got a cab as quickly as possible.

However, she regretted not going with the driver her aunt had sent for her as soon as she stepped out of the vehicle.

Most of her belongings and luggage has arrived to Korea a week ago and already waited for her in her apartment, but Jennie thought bringing another suitcase wouldn't hurt. Besides, she specifically searched for an apartment with a spacious wardrobe for a reason.

She put Kuma down on the ground and he immediately started wagging his tail and sniffing around, while Jennie helplessly watched the cab that brought her here drive away.

She let out a loud sigh and ran her fingers through her hair before pulling her suitcase towards her building, the sounds of the suitcase wheels rolling over the pavement filling the air. Once she reached the first flight of stairs that led to the building's front door she began struggling with her luggage.

Kuma swiftly ran up the stairs and barked at her, as if he was telling her to hurry up.

Jennie grabbed the suitcase handle with both of her hands and barely managed to bring it two steps up the stairs before she had to stop. Next time she tried to carry it, it kept bumping into her knees and she let it's corner land on her right foot, scratching the surface of her brand new shoes.

"You look like you could use a hand." Said a voice.

Jennie turned around. A tall guy with wavy brown hair and a smile on his face that brought out his dimple stood beside her.

"You think?" Jennie handed him her suitcase, smiling gratefully.

When Jennie smiled she used her eyes. Her cat-like eyes, that usually looked piercing and cold, made her smile magnetic. The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter