with greater love, comes greater suffering

with greater love, comes greater suffering

 

Chapter 6

Yuri woke up the next day and found herself in an extremely awkward position where her biology partner, Yoona, had her arms wrapped around her waist.

 

‘What? How did I…’ Yuri was confused, not knowing why she’s sleeping with a girl

 

She was about to break free from Yoona when she realize that this girl has got the prettiest face she’d ever met. Yuri carefully examined Yoona’ s face, which was pale comparing to her own but indeed, a natural beauty at her age. Her eyes now looked down to Yoona’ s lips as if there was some kind of force attraction between the both of them. Yuri leaned closer and closer to her face until she could feel Yoona’ s soft breath; their lips are about to touch.

 

Just as their lips are about to touch, Yoona’ s head flinched and she opened her eyes. She too, was surprise to see herself sleeping with Yuri on her own bed. Yuri quickly backed away from the girl and turned her head to the other side to hide her red face.

 

‘What? How did I…’ Yoona was just as confused as Yuri

 

‘Excuse me? Can you let me go now?’ Yuri acted as if she was annoyed

 

‘Oh!’ Yoona quickly let go of Yuri ‘I’m sorry…’

 

‘Whatever…’ Yuri slowly sat up and put on her jacket

 

‘At least we’ve finished the project’ Yoona sighed with relieve as she put her USB in the computer to check her work.

 

The girls went out of Yoona’s room. Just when they’re about to exit the door, a voice called them.

 

‘Yoona, you forgot breakfast.’ Yoona stood frozen for a second and realize that the voice was from her mom. Mrs. Im walked towards Yoona and saw a girl standing next to her.

 

‘And this is…’ her mom asked as she turned to Yuri

 

‘My friend, Kwon Yuri. She’s my science partner and she stayed overnight in the house because we need to finish a science project.’

 

I’m your friend?

 

‘Hi.’ Yuri bowed and greeted Mrs. Im

 

‘Well, come join us with breakfast now, Yuri, have a sit.’

 

Yuri sat down on the chair in the dining room.

 

‘So… how’s my daughter doing in school? Did she get a boyfriend or anything?’ Mrs. Im asked with curiosity

 

‘MOM!!’ Yoona’s face turned red

 

‘Yoona’s doing quite well in school, since she’s just starting school, I think people are just not used to her existence, but she’ll be fine.’ Yuri answered

 

‘Good, help me look after her, would you?’

 

‘Okay.’ Yuri responded

 

‘Mom, stop asking questions would you? We gotta go now, bye mom!!’ Yoona ran to the door holding Yuri’s hand

 

‘Good thing I locked the door.’ Yoona thought for the moment as she ran through the door.

 

-----------

 

The day was just a regular school day where everything runs on normally just as usual. Yoona and Yuri attended their biology class.

 

‘Oh shoot! I left the USB at your home!’ Yuri whispered

 

‘What!? Oh god, we don’t have time to go home and get it now. I’ll tell the teacher then.’

 

Yoona and Yuri walked towards her biology teacher.

 

‘Um… Sir? We forgot to bring our USB to school, would it be alright to present it tomorrow instead?’ Yoona asked

 

‘Right, who is it to blame then?’

 

‘Me!’ both Yoona and Yuri said it at the same time.

 

Yoona stepped on Yuri’s foot.

 

‘No, it’s me.’ Yoona said

 

‘Hey, why are you taking all the blame?’ Yuri whispered to her ear

 

Yoona didn’t respond to the question.

 

‘Right, Im Yoona, you will be having afterschool detention today, in my office.’

 

‘Yes, sir.’

 

The teacher dismisses the two girls back to their seats.

 

‘You didn’t answer my question, why are you taking all the blame?’ Yuri asked as they walked back to their seats. Again, Yoona didn’t respond.

 

‘Class, please be quiet and pay attention to our presenters.’

 

After each and every group has presented their presentation, the bell rang.

 

‘Hey Yoona, you didn’t answer my question, why did you took all the blame?’ Yuri asked again as she walked through the corridor with Yoona.

 

No response.

 

‘Yah! Stop acting like you’re my Unnie or something, Yoona, because you’re NOT!!’ Yuri shouted angrily.

 

Yoona stopped walking.

 

‘You’re NOT my Unnie, and you will never be, Yoona.’

 

Yoona turned around with her teary eyes. She bit her lower lips.

 

‘I didn’t claim to be your Unnie, but I do consider you as my friend.’ Yoona said as she walked away from Yuri.

 

‘Have I done something wrong?’ Yuri asked herself as she stood frozen in the corridor.

 

-----------

 

Memories of Yuri

 

‘Seohyun, when’s your birthday?’ Yuri ask as she took a bite at her lunch

 

‘June 28, 1991, why?’

 

‘Well, I wanted to know whether you’re older or younger than me and when to buy your birthday present.’

 

‘And I am?’

 

‘Younger.’

 

Seohyun took a bite of her sandwich, she turned her head to Yuri’s lunch.

 

‘Yuri, is that a cheeseburger?’

 

‘Yes.’

 

‘Omo, Yuri! Cheeseburgers are not healthy, you should eat a sandwich next time like me.’ Seohyun took another bite on her sandwich

 

‘Alright alright, you’re like my mom.’

 

‘Hehe.’ Seohyun giggled

 

‘So… what do you want for your birthday present?’

 

‘It’s still far away.’

 

‘I need to save up money.’

 

‘Well… I want a Keroro doll.’

 

‘Keroro!? But you know it’s a cartoon and besides, you’re already 14!!’

 

‘Age is just a number, please??’

 

‘Oh alright, if that’s what you wanted.’

 

‘Yay!’

 

‘Perhaps you don’t have to be my mom, you can be my Unnie instead.’

 

‘Whatever.’ Seohyun took the final bite to finish her sandwich

 

‘Hehe, from now on, you’ll be my Unnie then.’ Yuri said as she laid on Seohyun’s shoulder.

 

‘Keroro, what an odd taste, but that’s what makes you special.’ Yuri thought