with greater love, comes greater suffering

with greater love, comes greater suffering

 

Chapter 10

 

The days spent in the hospital were simply tedious for Yoona. Even with Yuri accompanying her once a week, things weren’t getting better none of the less. After hearing the story from Yuri’s past, Yoona wasn’t able to get enough sleep for the next couple of days. It was indeed, a tragedy.

 

A week later, Yoona was finally given permission to leave the hospital.  Her mom, as usual, did not come to pick her up that day.

 

‘Well… I guess I’m alone again.’

 

Ever since the day Yoona was born, she faces the fate of being a half orphan. Don’t get her wrong though, her parents are still alive, just not taking her well enough.

 

Right before Yoona was born, her parents already divorce. The judge of Yoona’s case said that the father wasn’t capable of raising up a child due to his career, so that means Yoona had no choice but to live with her mother.

 

Indeed, Yoona’s mother has possibly all the resources to raise up a healthy daughter. Well… to be practical, not all of them.

 

At the age of 5, Yoona had undergone the worst fever she had ever suffered. Instead of doing what was meant to be a mother’s job, her mom was nowhere in sight. Fortunately, Yoona was smart enough to go see the doctor herself.

 

At the age of 8, Yoona had a serious accident, which causes her to remain unconscious for a few days with her broken right arm and left leg. Her mom was again, nowhere in sight. After a month, her mom finally showed up, by then, Yoona already had 80% of her bones recovered.

 

Throughout the experiences, Yoona had learned to be independent. She had learned to take care of herself while her mom was away; she had learned to cheer herself up while she was alone with nobody; most of all, she had learned to isolate herself from everyone. It’s also the reason why she didn’t have any friends back in her younger days.

 

Yuri was probably Yoona’s first official friend. It was the same with Yuri’s after Seohyun’s incident. Ever since that night, Yuri had suffered a lot.

 

She had been crying day and night, like a mother crying because her daughter’s dead. Then she started killing herself several times in a row, but none of them seemed to have succeeded. Sometimes, Yuri would wonder why god would leave her alone in this world to live while taking away all her beloved ones.

 

After Seohyun’s death, Yuri got separated with people. She wasn’t friendly and outgoing in the first place, but after the incident, it got even worse. In other words, Yuri simply isolates herself from other people approaching her. It wasn’t her fault; she was just trying to protect people from dying because of her.

 

Yoona took her belongings and went out. She took a cab to go home.

 

Once Yoona was home, she opened the front door and looked at her big empty house.

 

‘Ah…’ she sighed ‘Home alone’

 

She sat down on the sofa and the TV. The channel was now showing news. Yoona flicked through all of the channels, they were no different.

 

‘Can’t this day get any worse?’

Leaving with no choice, Yoona watched the news.

 

‘This is the Korean News broadcast. There was an incident, which happened in our country’s capital city, Seoul that a bomb was set off. Thirty-five people were injured and two were dead. Police suspects that it was an attack planned by terrorists who were against the government. It is advised that citizens should not leave their house by 8pm. This is the Korean News broadcast and hope you have a nice day.’

 

‘Terrorists attack,’ Yoona joked ‘wonder when they’ll attack me?’

 

-----------

 

Yuri was delighted to see Yoona back to school on the following day. It was lunchtime, as usual; Yoona went to the Auditorium to eat her lunch. Yuri arrived a couple of minutes later and went to sit besides Yoona.

 

‘How are you feeling today?’ Yuri broke the silence

 

‘Fine, thank you.’

 

They continued eating their lunch.

 

‘Yuri, am I your burden?’

 

Yuri was surprised by the question

 

‘Why did you say that?’

 

‘Just answer me.’

 

There was no response

 

‘I know.’ Yoona sighed and lowered her head to face the ground

 

‘You’re not my burden.’ Yuri said in a calm tone ‘Seeing you reminds me of Seohyun.’

 

‘Then I am your burden!!’ Yoona stood up and shouted as tears went down her face

 

Yuri stood up and held her hands on Yoona’s shoulders to calm her down.

 

‘No Yoona. You were never my burden. The incident with Seohyun had haunted me for years, and over these past years, I am not able to get through it.’ Yuri stared into Yoona’s eyes ‘but you came, and you set me free.

 

‘Huh?’

 

‘Yes, you’re the only one that can do that.’

 

‘Oh, Yuri.’ Yoona said wrapped her hands to Yuri and she continued to cry

 

‘It’s ok, it’s ok.’ Yuri patted Yoona

 

Yuri pulled away from the hug and wiped the tears away from Yoona’s face. She looked exhausted after the whole crying scene. They sat back down.

 

‘Yuri, can I lay on your shoulder for a moment?’

 

‘Ok.’

 

Yoona slowly place her on Yuri’s should and fell asleep. Yuri knew Yoona was tired so she allowed Yoona to sleep on her shoulder. She looked at Yoona’s pretty face.

 

‘I love you.’