Halting Midways

Clumsy Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When you started avoiding me, the idea that you like me did cross my mind, but I decided to dismiss it as soon as it came.

I leaned heavily on the thought that you had personal issues I wasn't supposed to get myself involved with.

Until eventually, the jittery feeling in my stomach, the abnormally fast beating of my heart, and the unnecessary coloring of my usually pale cheeks all became a normal occurrence.

Yes, I was mad, hurt, and disappointed in you for choosing to move away rather than tackle the issue head on.

But, soon, I got used to separating myself from you, so when you eventually admitted that you caught feelings, I didn't think it would be of concern to me.

I was generally more concerned about the fact that it took you several weeks to open up to me than anything else you said afterward.



 

As fragments of our previous conversations resurfaced, a surge of overwhelming emotions began to consume me.

"Gosh, Yujin, why didn't you tell me?"

"I was terrified." You lowered your head and hunched your shoulders. "I wasn’t prepared to find out whether you’d reject or reciprocate my feelings. But I did try."

I recalled the exact moment when my brain decided to push all logical thinking to the background. Regrets do come in two—all I did and didn't do.

I remained quiet, guilt slowly starting to gnaw at me. I couldn't even look at you properly, afraid of what I might see.

I might have just stood there, looking quite lost, but believe me when I say that I had the urge to wrap my arms around you. But you looked too fragile, too sensitive, and too beautiful that all I could do was stare.

Taking a deep breath, seemingly to exhale all your cares and concerns, you started moving closer toward me, leaving only a small gap between us.

“Minjoo,” you half whispered my name, looking up to meet my eyes. “I like you. I really do. I will say it again and again... until one day, maybe, you find yourself saying it back. I was scared, still am, but that doesn't mean I can't be brave. Give me a chance, and I will show you that I am sincere with my feelings.”

There were words stuck in my chest. I wanted to speak, but for what seemed like a cruel play of fate, extreme fear held me back.

I would be lying if I said I didn't want to squeal after hearing all that, but do I like you, too, more than a friend likes another friend? Or was I simply feeling guilty and getting carried away by the idea that you actually like me?

When I met you, my defenses, the wall that has been there ever since my parents divorced, collapsed in a big crunch. You made it seem like it never even existed. The drunken slap you gave me on the first day we met at the dorm? That must have made the first crack.

I could have ran away that day and looked for somewhere else to stay, but I didn't. I was mildly intrigued, and soon I was in, unable to find a way out.

I never thought we’d come to this, though. A friendship was what I wanted. Anything more than that was out of the question. But I guess when we’ve spent most of our waking hours together, it was never really out of the options and we were bound to catch feelings.

"I don't want to mess things up," I finally said, stepping back, my voice sounding a little raspy. “Can you give me more time to sort my feelings out?”

I saw the conflicting emotions that flashed across your face. I kinda felt apologetic, but I didn't want to rush things. I needed to be sure, even if it meant that we both had to wait.

Slowly, the once nervous smile turned into an understanding one. You gave me a nod without saying a word, but that was enough to assure me that it was okay, that everything would eventually fall into place.



 

A year or so ago, we were nothing but two strangers stuck together, chasing different things and going different ways. Funny how we didn’t even like each other that much in the beginning, but look at us now.

It would be unfair to say that I didn’t notice them before, the subtle glances, the shy smiles, and even the gentle touches, because I did. I was just too busy focusing on other things to give them much thought and meaning.

But ever since you confessed your feelings for me, everything was amplified. I started noticing everything, even the little things.

I was never into cheesy, excessively emotional moments. Yet, here I was, setting myself up and spewing out words I never thought would ever come out of me.

I seriously haven’t been able to get you off my mind. I couldn't imagine a day without thinking of you, let alone go on a day without getting a glimpse of you. I might even go crazy if I couldn’t hear from you.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter