Stepping Sideways

Clumsy Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I lazily got up from bed, stretching my arms out.

I noticed that you were still lying in bed, bundled like a burrito. I figured you were tired and needed some extra rest, so I tiptoed my way to the bathroom to make sure not to wake you up.

I took a quick shower, got dressed, and was all set to have my first meal of the day when I heard a whimper. It was rather loud, considering how quiet our room was.

I turned my gaze to your direction, and despite the thick blanket, I could see that you were shivering underneath it.

I contemplated whether to approach you or not. But then, another sound escaped your throat, which sounded more like a cry than anything.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked, a bit louder and more invasive than I intended to, walking closer to your side.

I received no response.

"Yujin?" I tried calling your name.

You slowly pulled the blanket down, revealing your face. I could see beads of sweat forming on your forehead, your skin looking strangely pale.

Before I could fully assess the situation, you spoke, "W-Wha—" or, at least, you tried to.

"Are you okay?" I repeated. My instinct told me to check your forehead, but I had to immediately retract my hand. "Aw, you're burning!"

"I-I'm fine," you managed to croak out.

"You're clearly not."

You shook your head in disagreement.

"You’re nursing a fever," I added, as if it wasn’t obvious enough.

Despite your protest, which was relatively weak, I pulled out some paracetamol from the medicine cabinet and brought out the thermometer.

Your temperature was a little above 38 degrees Celsius. The paracetamol might be able to take care of it for now. “Here, take this," I ordered.

You shook your head once again, hiding underneath the thick blanket.

I let out a sigh. "If you don't take this, I'll be forced to bring you to the clinic. Would you like me to do that?"

That got your attention. You emerged from the blanket and gave me a weak glare. I could tell that you were struggling, but without a word, you sat up and drank the medicine.

“T-Thanks,” you said weakly. “I can manage from here.”

“Really?” I snorted. "You can't even get water without spilling it on a normal day."

You gave me a frown. "I'll be okay.”

"No," I said, shaking my head for emphasis. An idea popped into my head as I heard the low growl coming from my stomach. "Stay here and rest. I’ll be back soon."

"Y-Yo—"

"And don't tell me I don't have to, because I won’t allow you to have a say in this."

I left before you could finish what you wanted to say, which, apparently, was just a request for me to buy you some yogurt drink if I happened to pass by the convenience store.

Of course, silly. I only found out when I got your text message a couple of minutes later.




My stomach continued to grumble in hunger as I walked to the convenience store. I couldn’t remember the last time I ate, probably at around lunchtime yesterday.

The last couple of days have been particularly brutal. I was so swamped with studying for finals that eating fell off my radar. I almost forgot what real food tasted like. 

I’ve only been eating cup ramen and convenience store food with occasional food deliveries. I didn’t get around to weighing myself, but it felt like I lost some weight.

Wanting to graduate from college is such an all-consuming goal. I wouldn't be surprised if it was why you got sick.

I've only gotten past the first semester of my freshman year, but it already took everything I had to hold back tears and not break down. 

I frowned as I tried to choose from the breakfast menu, which didn't really offer that much variety.

In the end, I got two orders of ham and cheese omelette, paired with some weird-looking liquid that I was told was mushroom soup. Either that or a fried chicken meal that looked too greasy for consumption.

The walk back to the dorm was uneventful, although the trip outside took longer than usual. I had to enter the convenience store twice because I forgot to buy the yogurt drink the first time around.

"Yogurt?" you asked the moment I laid the food on the small wooden table that I dragged from our shared kitchen.

I internally gave myself a pat on the back. I was right to make that second trip back to the convenience store.

"I got two for you and one for me," I said, pulling out the yogurt drinks from the paper bag I left on the floor.

“Thank you,” you said while grinning. “I’ll pay you back later.”

I only noticed it now, but you looked thin, maybe even thinner than me. Did the final exams do this to you? I didn't want to pry, so I decided to save my curiosity for later. I let out a small smile. “It’s fine. Don’t think about it.”

"I want to pay you back. Please?”

I was surprised when I saw you suddenly pouting your mouth and squinting your eyes at me, looking sickly adorable.

“I—” I bent my head, not knowing how to react. “Yeah, fine,” I answered, nodding my head without looking at you.

<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter