Looking Upwards

Clumsy Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I only wanted a glass of water, but that for sure wasn't going to happen.

Not when you were already sleeping soundly beside me, an arm draped loosely across my chest and providing me comfort I didn't know I needed.

This has been the closest we've ever been. I’ve been wanting to get close to you ever since our first meeting, but my uncoordinated self just had to take over all the time.

Imagine my surprise now.

It was hard to tell what had gotten into you when you held my hand, let alone slipped into the space next to me. You were literally asleep in less than a minute, not minding that I was sick and could potentially infect you.

Even though I wanted to distance myself to prevent you from getting sick, our position refrained me from moving much. I could only latch onto the blanket and wait till the sun rises up, so that was exactly what I did.



 

I woke up in the morning without you beside me. For a moment I wondered if it was all a dream, a feverish hallucination.

"You're awake."

I turned my head to see you entering the room with a glass of orange juice.

"How are you feeling?"

"Better," I answered with a smile, sitting up on the bed and inviting you to sit beside me. "Thanks to you."

"No problem." You offered the orange juice to me before taking a seat. "I also brought paracetamol in case you still need it."

I shook my head, taking just the glass and giving you another smile. "All good."

"Oh, good, okay." But you didn't seem okay, as if something was bothering you. You proceeded to fidget with the paracetamol in your hand.

"Do you want to say something?"

You looked up, slightly surprised.

"Well, uhm, about last night…"

"Hmm?"

"Sorry if I ever made you feel uncomfortable. I didn't mean to sleep next to you."

Wait. So, it did happen? I wasn't hallucinating?

A smile slowly made its way to my lips, feeling a strong urge to know what you were thinking. "Were you worried about that?"

You shrugged. "Kinda. I didn't know what took over me. Guess I was tired."

I chuckled. "It's okay. And you guessed it right. You seemed really tired. You were knocked out in less than a minute"

You looked somehow embarrassed, avoiding my gaze. You quickly turned your head away, but it was too late. I already saw the slight tinge of pink on your cheeks.

"You didn't get sick, though, right?" I asked, trying my best not to laugh.

You shook your head. "Nope. All good."

Relief washed over me, the smile never leaving my lips. "Then there's nothing to worry about. Thanks again."

You gave me a nod, still avoiding eye contact. "I wanted to bring you something else, but orange juice was all we have left."

"Oh?" Great save. "No, it's fine. Thank you."

"I'll do some grocery shopping later. You can't have just that."

"But aren't you going home?" I said, a bit hesitant. "I mean, classes are over."

"You're right, but my parents went on a business trip and won't be home till next week. I have until then to decide what to do during the break."

"Oh, I see."

You slowly turned to look at me. "How about you? Any plans?"

I shook my head. "Nothing, really. I live with my aunt, and it doesn't matter whether I decide to go home or not."

I saw the hesitation in your eyes, and I realized just how sad my story sounded. I didn't mean to be dramatic.

My parents died when I was young, and so I've lived with my aunt ever since.

"I'm sorry."

I frowned. "What for?"

You hesitated again.

Oh, shoot. "Did I say that out loud?"

You nodded.

"Oh no, it's fine, really. It hurts sometimes when I think about it, but it happened a long time ago. I've already moved on. I have a great aunt. She's just really busy most of the time."

To my surprise, you held my hand. "Come with me."

I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow.

"Go home with me, rather," you clarified. "My parents won't mind. I mean, only if you'd want to."

I tried to search for the same look I always find in strangers' eyes every time they hear my story, but I couldn't find it. There was no pity in your eyes. On the contrary, you seemed rather sincere.

"Sure," I found myself saying, a small smile tugging at my lips.



 

Sure? Okay, I wasn't supposed to say that. As much as I wanted to get close to you, going home with you seemed like a bizarre idea.

Why would you invite me to your house in the first place? You're nuts, have completely gone out of your mind.

Just imagining how much stuff I could break in your house was already making me anxious, so how much more if I indeed break one?

Nope, I couldn't do it. I'd just stay in the dorms and wallow in solitude and loneliness.

Please, Minjoo, tell me, how was it so easy for you to suggest such a thing? And why was it even easier for me to agree?

Doesn't make sense.

I had the whole day to think about it, only to come up with nothing.

"Ready?" 

No. But my bag was packed and I've never seen you this so exci

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter