stupid slackers

tech support

. . . 

"Knock knock." 

Yongsun briefly looks up to see her friend and work colleague leaning against the door frame of her office. "Just knock on the door like any normal person would." She mutters audibly as she continues to stack all the loose pages of old, discarded articles that were deemed unsatisfactory by the fashion editor, Kim Yongsun. When it comes to her job, some might say that Kim Yongsun fully immerses herself in her role as the leader of the editorial team and despite her cold, albeit scary nature when things aren't up to her standards, it's hard not to admit that she does a pretty damn good job at what she does - as reflected in the sale numbers of the magazine, Chic and the fact that even people who don't have the slightest interest in fashion know of the magazine. 

"Somebody is grumpy today. How did your presentation go?" 

"You would know if you showed up on time like everybody else."

"Hey, I have a legitimate excuse this time." Jinah says, starting to grow defensive but upon seeing how her friend did not seem to care nor register what she had just said, she asks again. "So it was good?"

Yongsun sighs abruptly and gives her an expressionless look, though just from her behaviour, Jinah suspects that the brunette was moments away from yelling at someone and her incessant questions were merely serving as a catalyst. Any sane person would've backed down by now but not her. Jinah had the 'four year friendship' card on her side (they met in university) so she was all too familiar with her friend's short temper. You could say that 'pushing Yongsun's buttons' was her specialty and she took pride in knowing just what to say to rile up her friend but not enough for said friend to lash out at her. There is a very thin line with that when it comes to Yongsun and Jinah has not once crossed it. It didn't take long for people at work to notice this and soon enough, individuals from various departments who had been subjected to her friend's temper came knocking on the friendly creative director's door to ask for advice on how to not be fired. During those times, Jinah always told them the same thing: "Don't mess up again. She doesn't give second chances." Simple as that. 

Jinah tilts her head ever so slightly, "Bad?" She asks slowly and unsure, evident in the way she drags out the vowel sound in the word. 

Yongsun finally relents, "It was fine. Not as good as it could've been but it was fine." 

"Well that's a positive." She claps her hands together, "So, coffee?" 

Presumably for the first time that day, Yongsun cracks a smile. "Yes."

 

. . .

It was slowly approaching 10pm by the time Yongsun makes it back to her spacious yet (figuratively) empty apartment. As she flickers on the light, she can't help but ponder what might have been if her now ex-boyfriend had moved in with her. The relationship was promising and unlike her previous ones, it seemed like it was actually going somewhere. And because of that, Yongsun became complacent. She divulged even more deeply into her work, even opting to spend long nights at the office going through selected articles and making sure every single thing was perfect, she did so, with the comfort of the thought that her then-boyfriend had no qualms and no objections about it. But soon enough, those long nights at the office turned into missed dates and even a missed birthday celebration and with that, their relationship deteriorated to a point where the relationship was deemed unsalvageable. 

Yongsun sighs and with a shake of her head, throws off her heels and drags her feet over to the living area. The mere thought of him still tugged at her heart but every thing he had said to her whilst dumping her, rang true. In the end, it was always the same thing: him or her job.

She always chose the latter.

. . .

It was coming close to 11pm by the time Yongsun finally heaves herself off her couch and jumps into her shower. After a long day of reprimanding people at work, she needed something to take her mind off of her approaching deadlines. When she slips underneath her bed covers, she's greeted with the familar scent of her bedsheets and that alone puts her mind at ease. There was absolutely nothing better than crawling into bed and switching on an episode of her favourite tv show after a stressful day. 'It would be better if you had someone else sharing the bed with you' she finds herself thinking and just like that, her happiness is knocked down a notch. 

As she unlocks her laptop and types in the ASTRIC streaming service, she's met with a blank screen with the words 'Error in loading content'. Immediately her attempt to destress comes back to bite her in the . She contemplates in slamming her laptop shut (with much force), tossing it aside and getting a decent night's sleep for once. 'No, I pay for this streaming service so I deserve an explanation to this bull.' With a huff, she finds herself dialling the tech support for the second day in a row. 

"ASTRIC tech support, John speaking. How can I help?" Yongsun notes the hint of annoyance in his tone. She hadn't even started to scream at him yet about how incompetant he was so for him to already be annoyed, confused her. As she racks her brain for a possible explanation, her gaze falls onto her screensaver on her laptop which read the time. And just like that it clicks in her mind. The tech support line was probably close to closing for the day.

"I'm currently unable to access your streaming service. It keeps saying error."

"Have you tried reloading the page?" He says in a monotonous manner

"Yes I have." She says, biting back on the urge to add in a snarky comment.

"Please hold." 

Before she can voice her protest, the familar loud music plays.

A few moments pass and Yongsun feels a sense of rage building in the pit of her stomach.

"Thank you for holding. I've checked our servers and there seems to be no technical issues on our part so it must be yours. Have you checked your wifi?"

"Yes, my wifi is working fine." She says through gritted teeth.

He ignores her subtle hint of anger and continues in his monotonous voice, "I am afraid I cannot find a solution to your problem."

'Or you can't be bothered.' 

Yongsun hears him speak but much more quietly and most likely not directed at her since another voice could be heard in the background. "Listen, I am unable to help you but my colleague is happy to fix your problem." And for the first time during their ten minute conversation, Yongsun hears happiness in his tone of voice. "Please hold while I redirect your call."

She stares in disbelief at her phone, how hard was it to fix this? All she wanted to do was watch 'Friends' and fall asleep to the sound of Ross' whining about how him and Rachel were 'on a break'. 

Her train of thought is interrupted with the sound of a familiar voice, "Hello, ASTRIC tech support Moonbyul speaking, how can I help?" 

"Oh." She fails to hide the surprise in her voice, "It's you again."

"Huh?"

Yongsun winces in embarassment, "Sorry you probably get a lot of calls so you probably don't remember me-"

"Oh. How could I not remember my favourite caller?" Moonbyul replies in a teasing manner, "How can I help you, Miss?"

"Your streaming service isn't working."

"Have you-"

She cuts her off, "Yes, I've checked my wifi and reloaded the page. It's still not working."

"Are you using a laptop to stream?"

"Yes."

"I think it could be your cookies and cache."

Yongsun blinks, "My what?"

"Okay, on your internet browser go into your settings."

She sighs, "You know what, it's fine. I'm taking this as a sign to go to bed early."

Moonbyul laughs lightly at how easily she gives up, "I can do it for you." 

"Huh?"

"Go onto this website." She proceeds to read out the website, "Then when it asks for a session key, input MB3864."

Yongsun remains skeptical, "Alright." She does what she's asked but still unsure as to what the girl meant by 'do it for you'. While she slowly types out the address (just to make sure she typed out every single letter correctly), she hears the girl ask her a question. "Wait what did you say?"

"I asked how your presentation went."

"Uh, it was fine."

"You don't seem sure."

"Well when you have to do other people's work alongside your own, the quality tends to drop a bit." Yongsun finds herself saying sarcastically and when Moonbyul doesn't respond, she sighs deeply before saying, "It was a long day." (That was as close to an apology that she was willing to make)

"Sounds stressful."

"You don't know the half of it." She mutters

"What do you do?"

"Shouldn't I be the one asking the questions?"

"But I never get to ask these types of questions without feigning interest." Yongsun can practically hear the girl's pout, "This time I genuinely wanna know."

"I'm a fashion magazine editor."

"Oh fancy." Moonbyul clicks her tongue before adding, "I'm glad you don't know me in real life."

"Why's that?"

"My wardrobe consists of hoodies, graphic tshirts, sweatshirts and two pairs of skinny jeans. Ripped jeans for when I'm feeling extra stylish." She pauses for a moment, "My style is very consistent." 

Yongsun makes a face, "Let me guess, your clothes only have the colours black and white."

Moonbyul gasps in mock-surprise, "How did you know?"

"Lucky guess."

"Well, I have the occasional red thrown in there to mix things up a bit." 

"How exciting."

"Indeed. Have you typed in the address yet?"

"No."

"Wow you're a slow typer."

"Well, you were distracting me with all your questions." Yongsun snaps almost immediately because a part of her had already expected the girl to make a comment like that.

"Alright, alright. I'll stop talking."

"Great."

Yongsun types in the session key and jumps slightly at the sound of a chat window popping up. She hovers the mouse over to the chat box but instead of it going the direction she intended it to, it instead moved on its own accord. "What the.."

"Relax, I'm controlling your laptop at the moment."

Yongsun's eyebrows shoot up in astonishment before settling back down into a frown, "Don't look through my documents."

"Why? Do you have sensitive images on your laptop?" Moonbyul says in her usual teasing manner.

"No. But I do however have unpublished material in my documents folder that cannot be seen by people who don't work for me."

"Relax. Company policy forbids us from snooping."

"It should be common sense."

"You'd be surprised at how many people lack that."

Yongsun starts to think about the people she had yelled at today before humming in agreement, "True."

"Okay, done."

"What?"

"I've fixed it."

"That quickly?"

"Are you disappointed that it was resolved this quickly?"

"Well...yes." She finds herself admitting, her ears start to grow warm from the oncoming blush, "It's nice to talk to someone about things other than deadlines."

"Aw, that's sweet. I'm touched. I truly am." 

"Don't mock me." 

"I'm not."

"Whatever. I guess I should thank you for your help."

"You should."

"Well thanks."

"So what are you gonna watch?"

Yongsun is taken aback for a second before answering, "Just an episode of 'Friends'."

"Let me guess, you've watched that show over twenty times and still don't grow tired of it."

"Well it's not my fault it's the only decent thing your streaming service has to offer!" She says defensively. 

"Not true at all, Miss. We offer a selection of movies perfect for when you have had a tiresome day at work." Moonbyul says brightly

"Well how about movies for when you have a 'I-want-to-fire-everyone-because-of-their-lack-of-work-ethic-but-I-can't-because-human-resources-will-probably-have-an-issue-with-that' kind of day?" She asks sweetly

"Wow, that's very specific."

"Do you have a movie for that?"

"Not quite. But I do have a personal favourite for when I'm having a bad day."

"Do tell."

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off." 

"Never seen it." 

Moonbyul gasps in shock, "What? You've never seen this movie?"

"I don't get why you're so surprised by this."

"It's iconic!"

"Clearly not iconic enough if I haven't been swayed to watch it."

"Alright. It's settled, you're watching this." 

"No I'm not." Yongsun had momentarily forgotten that Moonbyul still had control over her laptop and before she could object, the girl had already clicked on the movie.

"Yes you are," Moonbyul says triumphantly

"I'm pretty sure your company policy forbids you from doing that." 

"Nice try, my shift ended two minutes ago." 

"I'm not watching this movie." Yongsun starts to say, annoyed.

"Shush, you're missing the best opening scene of all time."

Yongsun scoffs, "I'm pretty sure you just want to watch this movie. Use your own account, you leech."

 

. . . 

"Wow this scene is powerful." Yongsun says as she watches the character 'Cameron' stare at the painting.

"I know, right!" 

. . .

 

"So what'd you think?" Moonbyul asks as the credits roll.

Her question is answered with a light snore from the other end of the line, and she finds herself smiling at the sound of it. "Wow, I can't believe you fell asleep." She whispers, "Goodnight, Miss."

And with that, she hangs up. 

. . . 

author's note: I don't know if I explained it properly but basically yongsun screenshares with moonbyul via the session id (i think apple's support team does this, though I doubt their staff watches movies with the customers) which is how they're able to watch the movie together.