stupid segmentation fault

tech support

. . . 

"So how was it?"

Moonbyul tosses her work uniform over at Wheein in response, hitting her square in the face. "Your job ." She says matter-of-factly as she collapses onto the sofa and lets out a loud yawn. She glances over at her roommate, who had returned to typing furiously away at her laptop and then deleting every single thing she had just written with a groan. Moonbyul shoots her a sympathetic look before asking, "How's your lab report going?"

Wheein nods firmly and plasters on a smile, "Mhmm, yeah it's going well. I've only cried twice today," she states proudly. 

"That's good. When's the deadline?" 

"Tomorrow at noon. And it has to be in physical form so I'll have to leave my lecture early to run to that building." 

"Hey, you got time. You'll be fine."

She lets out a dejected sigh, "I'm starting to wonder if I'm cut out for Biochem."

"C'mon. You're just saying that because you're stressed."

Wheein slams her laptop shut and joins Moonbyul on the couch, "Tell me about your night. Was Ed pissed off that I wasn't there?" 

Moonbyul replies with a half-hearted shrug, "I guess he would've been if I wasn't there to take your place. I think he needed all the help he could get tonight."

Her roommate grimaces, "Was it very busy?"

"Let's just say my claustrophobia was in hyperdrive tonight," Moonbyul tells her with a tilt of her head and a knowing look in her eye, "I have no idea how you cope with this type of job. It's so exhausting."

"The pay is good."

Yet for some reason, your half of the rent is almost always late, Moonbyul bites back, because her friend of four years was already having a tough night as it is, there was no need to get into another petty argument about it. Annoyingly, it was always so easy to forgive Wheein during arguments because the girl was just so darn cute whenever she pouts but Moonbyul had a feeling that she was far too stressed to resort to being cute tonight and thus the argument will last for an uncomfortable 48 hours at least. Add on the fact that her friend would no doubt struggle even more with finishing her lab report while agonising over said argument. So in the end Moonbyul settles on, "I guess so but I much prefer my job over yours. It's easy pay as well."

"I like meeting new people," Wheein suddenly lights up like she remembers something important which finally puts some life onto her face, "Did you meet any celebrities tonight?" 

Moonbyul ponders on the question for a moment. It was hard to say, perhaps she did but the whole night was a blur to her and the only face that seemed to pop up in her mind was the face of the girl she had met outside of the party. She didn't seem like a celebrity, or one that Moonbyul recognised anyway but she definitely had the face for it. 

Wheein's eyebrows quirk up at her friend's delay in answering her question and she lets out a squeal of delight, covering in excitement. "Oh my god, you did, didn't you?" She scooches closer to the blonde, invading her personal space almost immediately and looks at her expectantly. 

"I met someone outside when I was taking a break."

"Aaaaand?"

"We talked."

Wheein makes a gesture with her hand, urging her for more information. She says nothing but her eyes say, tell me more.

"I don't think she was a celebrity but she was nice."

"Just 'nice'?" When Moonbyul nods in response, Wheein's shoulders droop in disappointment as she rolls her eyes and scooches to the other side of the couch. 

"Hey. Out of all the snobs I met tonight, she was the nicest...I guess." 

"Did you feel a connection? Perhaps a love~ connection?" She waggles her eyebrows in a suggestive manner, to which Moonbyul throws a cushion at her with a scowl, "Don't be gross. Besides, I think she has a boyfriend."

"Oh. Well that ."

"She reminded me of someone I know though." Moonbyul says thoughtfully

"Who?"

She shakes her head, "You wouldn't know her."

Wheein tsks with a frown, "Alright. Keep your secrets then."

Moonbyul continues to herself, "Her voice sounded so familiar." 

"To?"

She dismisses the topic, "Doesn't matter. It must've been my mind playing tricks on me. Anyway, it's not like I could hear her voice properly."

"What?"

"That stupid radio walkie-talkie Ed made the whole staff wear. I took it out for one moment and he was yelling for five minutes about how important it was to keep the ear piece in at all times." She says with a roll of her eyes, "So when I was chatting to the girl, all I could hear was Ed yelling instructions into the damn thing." 

Wheein nods with a empathetic look in her eye, "You have suffered a lot tonight. Wanna order pizza? My treat."

"Nah. All I want to do is shower and crawl into bed to be honest."

Her roommate murmurs an 'okay' as she opens her laptop back up to her dreaded lab report. And just like that, her stoic expression returns as she scrolls through the never-ending word document, curling her fist in anger. 

"I'll leave you to it then." Moonbyul stands and retreats to her bedroom but before she fully closes her bedroom door, she hears a muffled groan followed shortly by Wheein shouting, "What do these graphs even mean?!" 

. . . 

Moonbyul was about to have a mental breakdown of her own, as she stares at her laptop screen in disbelief. Another segmentation fault? She curls her upper lip in anger. Are you freaking kidding me?! Over the past two hours, she had lost track of exactly how many of these errors had popped up in her program. Great, guess I can just get a zero on this assignment then. She now could relate to Wheein's mental anguish with her assignment. Speaking of, she hadn't heard the girl curse at all for the past hour and a half, perhaps she managed to finish it? Or maybe she was taking a nap. Probably the latter. 

Moonbyul puts her laptop into sleep mode, she needed a breather from all that programming. The more she stared at her screen, the more she wanted to smash it. She chuckles to herself as she remembers how the girl had said almost the exact same thing, a month ago. She stares longingly at her phone with a sad smile. Maybe she scared her off with giving her her number. It was a stupid thing to do, to be honest. She couldn't exactly comprehend what went through her head when she did it but it was something that she could get fired for and she desperately needed the job, not only for experience purposes but also because money was tight being an undergrad student. Despite this, she still took the risk in giving out her number anyway. Why? There was something about that girl. Normally Moonbyul wouldn't dwell on a customer after she figured out a solution to their technical issues but for whatever reason, she found herself wondering when the girl would call again. 

A quiet knock on the door pulls Moonbyul out of her thoughts. She looks up to see Wheein poking her head through the small gap with a sleepy grin, "Hey. I'm going to bed now."

"Did you finish your report?"

Wheein yawns and gives her a half-hearted shrug, "I'll worry about it in the morning." Her eyes wander to Moonbyul's laptop sitting neatly on her desk, "How's your assignment going?"

Moonbyul inhales sharply, "Great." 

"Mhm. Okay, night!" 

Moonbyul doesn't look at her when she closes the door nor does she reply. She was too busy gaping at her phone that had lit up with a notification during her brief exchange with her roommate. She couldn't believe her eyes.

xxx-xxx-xxxx: Any 'feel-good' movie recommendations?

It was her, wasn't it?

It had to be. 

She unlocks her phone and opens the message (her heart was beating way too much. She hadn't felt it beat that long since she went to the gym and that was ages ago. But this feeling was definitely way better than the gym). Her finger hovers over the phone icon. She hesitates. Should she? Ah, screw it. She presses it and brings her phone to her ear with bated breath.

It takes exactly six excruiciatingly long rings until Moonbyul hears that familiar voice she had been longing to hear again for the past month or so.

"A text message back would have sufficed." 

Moonbyul can feel goosebumps forming at the mere sound of her voice, "I wanted to hear your voice," she says truthfully, "I missed you." Crap. She wasn't meant to say that last part out loud but it was the only thought that was running through her head at this very second. She hastily adds, "The other callers I've been getting at work aren't as entertaining as you."

"I uh I tried calling your work place first but someone else answered. I didn't really have any computer problems so I hung up." 

The blonde fails to fight the wide grin that forms at the thought of the girl missing her as much as she did, "I only work on weekends."

"Noted." The girl sniffs away from the microphone of her phone but the sound was still promient.

"Are you alright? You're sniffling a lot," Moonbyul points out.

"Y-yeah. I'm fine. Just a cold.."

Moonbyul frowns. It sounded more like crying. She hesitates. She didn't want to pry, in fear that the girl would hang up on her. So instead, she pretends not to notice the girl's quiet, yet rapid intake of air and instead asks, "How has your day been?"

"I don't really want to talk about it," she says almost immediately. It was like she could sense that Moonbyul was indirectly asking her why she was crying. Her voice grows quiet but she says softly, "Tell me about your day instead."

"Same old same old. My alarm woke me up at 7am but I snoozed it and ended up waking up at 8am. I ended up being late for my lecture."

"Wait. Lecture? Are you a student?"

Moonbyul lets out a chuckle, "Yeah. I know, I sound way too smart to just be a mere student."

"A very modest student, at that. So what, you're like 18?"

"What, no!" She replies with an offended tone, "I am not a child."

"19?"

"I'm 23."

"I mean...that's pretty young."

"Shut up, no it isn't."

The girl laughs and it was the most melodic sound* (lol Yongsun and her dolphin laugh*) Moonbyul has ever heard. She only wished that that was the only sound the girl made but eventually she resorts back to the sniffling. "So how old are you then?"

"Not telling."

"Why not?"

"Don't wanna."

"Okay fine, I'll hang up then." Moonbyul threatens (but let's be honest, both of them knew it was an empty threat).

"You just told me that you missed me," she says, "Surely it would be you that suffers more if you hang up."

"Yeah, well...you missed me too."

"Debatable."

"Hey. You don't see me phoning up your workplace just to have a chat," Moonbyul informs her.

"That's because you don't know where I work," she retorts with a scoff. 

"Touché." 

The conversation drifts into a lull of silence before eventually the girl sighs and abandons her charade of stubborness, "I'm 27."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"You're old."

"Shut up."

"I'm kidding."

"Mhm."

"Do you still want those movie recommendations?"

"Well it's the only reason I haven't hung up yet," she replies jokingly.

"'Singin' in the Rain' would be a good choice."

She makes a sound of disapproval, "Not really in the mood for a musical."

"Well I guess Mamma Mia is off the list then."

"Off the top of you head - no thinking over it, tell me a funny, feel-good movie."

"Bridesmaids,"

"That is a good choice," she agrees with a hum, "Alright. I guess I'll watch that. Okay I'm gonna-"

"Can we watch it together?" Moonbyul squeezes her eyes shut in embarassment at how quiet and timid her voice had become. Wow it would be really awkward if she says no. God, Moonbyul this is why you have to think before you speak, damn it. 

"Huh?"

"Never mind," Moonbyul says hurriedly, "Go enjoy your movie...I hope you feel better."

Just as she's about to end the call, the girl on the other end of the line shouts, "Wait!"

Moonbyul brings the phone back to her ear, "Hm?"

"Okay," the girl breathes out, "let's watch it together."

. . .

"Do you have the movie ready and loaded?" 

"Wait! Hold on, I have to reply to an email. Gimme one sec." 

"One mississippi."

"Ha. Ha."

. . .

"Okay. on the count of three, press play."

"Okay."

"One. Two. Three." 

"Oh wait sorry I accidentally exited out the movie."

. . . 

"This scene never fails to make me laugh," Moonbyul says as the two characters try to one up each other during their speech giving.

"Stop talking, I can't hear what they're saying."

. . . 

author's note: yet again I am suffering from writer's block with 'class of 2017' therefore behold, a new chapter of this story. You're welcome. 

(also I know their isn't 4 years but for the sake of this story let's pretend )

questions to think about while you wait for the next chapter:

1. why do you think yongsun was crying? (I already have an idea for it but i'm curious as to what you think the reason is)

2. What are your thoughts on this chapter?

Hope you have a nice day.