stupid wifi

tech support

. . . 

Yongsun adores simple things. Taking a bath (with scented candles if it's that kind of day) and climbing into bed with freshly washed sheets,  driving with the window down, baking, holding hands with her boyfriend - oh wait scratch that - ex-boyfriend, sitting on the sofa all curled up under a fluffy blanket while a storm brews outside - things like that sparked joy in her life but this (she glares at her newly purchased - fresh out of the box - laptop that sits perfectly on her desk acting all innocent) did not spark joy whatsoever. She balls her fists in anger as she exhales sharply, "This is not my day." Admitting defeat, she slumps down onto her chair and buries her face into her arms and lets out a scream. First her boyfriend dumps her (in front of her high school arch nemesis - may I add), then in the middle of working on her big (very important)  presentation for work, her 10 year trusted ol' laptop finally takes its last breath and shuts down, forever. To be fair, it was a long time coming and any normal person would be freaking out over losing all their work but Yongsun didn't really lose much considering that she prefers to store her research in physical form rather than digital and add on the fact that she had spent over six hours indecisively switching through fonts (whilst sobbing over her breakup) and if she was being completely honest, she was kind of thankful that her computer shut down otherwise she no doubt would've wasted the entire day on the fonts. Fast forward a quick trip to the nearest store (with smudged mascara and the loss of $870), Yongsun found herself hastily ripping off the packaging only to be faced with a new computer that did not connect to the wifi. Damn, she might as well get a refund and use that money towards an internet cafe or something. She clicks her tongue in contempt and searches through the user manual for the tech support number. 

She dials the number, tapping her feet impatiently as the line rings. 

A few moments pass before she hears a voice at the other end of the line, "Hello, ASTRIC tech support Moonbyul speaking, how can I help?"

Yongsun perks up and clears , "Hi, I just purchased one of your laptops today and - "

"Oh, that's great news. Kind of a 'treat yourself' purchase?"

"Yeah sure," She brushes over her question and attempts to get the conversation back on track - she had no time for the small chit chat no matter how friendly this girl was, "Anyway, I set it up and everything but it's not connecting to my wifi."

"Okay," Yongsun starts to hear shuffling on the other end of the line, "Sorry I've been sitting cross-legged for the past ten minutes and I can feel a cramp coming. Bear with me for one second."

Yongsun sighs, "Listen, I'm kind of running on short time right now, I have an important presentation tomorrow morning and I haven't started working on it because this stupid laptop won't connect to the wifi - which may I add, is an important feature in laptops and if this isn't fixed within the next thirty minutes then I will throw this stupid thing against the wall."

There is a moment of silence before Moonbyul lets out a chuckle, "Well we don't want that."

"I'm glad my suffering amuses you." 

"I'm sorry. It's been a long day of endless calls and honestly, you may be my favourite caller today."

"What an honour," Yongsun says wryly, "Can we get back to my issue now?"

"Wow, tough crowd. Alright - let's run through the basics. Is your router swtiched on?"

"Yes, of course." She replies, "I may be slow when it comes to technology but I'm not that slow."

"You'd be surprised at how many cases related to wifi are solved with the simple switching on of the router. I'm glad you're smart."

"Are you mocking me?" 

"Of course not. Our company policy forbids us from doing so. Anyway, go into your settings."

"Already done that."

"Right, is your network showing up in the drop down menu?"

"Yes."

"Click on it."

"Done."

"Type in your password."

"I have."

"And?"

"Unable to connect."

"Is your cap locks on?"

"No of course not!" She snaps (she quickly glances down at her caps lock button, relieved to see it turned off)

"Alright, ma'am. It's a common mistake so I had to ask."

"'Ma'am'?"

"Company policy requires us to address customers politely no matter what."

"Yeah but...I'm more of a 'Miss'," She mutters, "'Ma'am' makes me sound old."

Yongsun can practically hear the girl's grin, "Alright, Miss it is then."

"Good. I'm glad we got one thing sorted."

"Okay Miss, please don't get angry at me for what I'm going to say next but have you considered that maybe you're misspelling your password?"

"I'm sure I'm spelling it right." 

"Really?"

"Yes. I have it memorised." She says irritably

"Not to insult your memory or anything but do you mind walking over to your router and double checking?"

"Fine." She gets up and trudges over to the router that's perched on her bookshelf on the other side of the living room whilst holding onto the stupidly slim laptop with both hands and cradling her phone between her head and shoulders, "But I'll have you know that I've never had issues with my spelling on my old laptop."

"Uh-huh. But there's always a first time for everything. Just out of mere curiosity, was your old laptop also ASTRIC?"

"No, it was Avion."

"Ah, those jagweeds."

"Jagweeds?"

"Company policy forbids us from swearing."

"Right." Yongsun returns her attention back onto her router, "Okay so I'm typing the password right now, with the password in front of me and it's still unable to connect."

"That doesn't make sense." Moonbyul says, more so to herself. "Are you sure you're typing it in correctly?"

Yongsun starts to grow frustrated, "Yes." She begins to type it again, "It's 247BtWFjIl - oh." 

"Oh?"

She feels her face flush, "I see the problem."

"Which is?"

"It's fine. I've fixed it."

"Miss, I need you to tell me what the problem was in case it happens to other customers."

"My password has an "I" and a lower case 'L' but I typed in two "I"s instead." She says quietly

"I see."

"Don't laugh."

"I won't." Moonbyul quickly replies, "Company policy forbids us."

"That didn't stop you earlier," Yongsun points out

"That can be our little secret."

"Well, thanks for your help."

"No problem, Miss. Good luck with your presentation tomorrow," She pauses before jokily adding, "If you need help in locating the powerpoint program don't hesitate to call." 

"I'm pretty sure your company policy forbids you from teasing your clients."

"Judging by the length of this phonecall, I'd say we've surpassed the whole 'client - tech-support' relationship."

"Whatever. Again, thanks for your help,"

"Thank you for making this evening entertaining. Goodbye, Miss."

 

. . . 

author's note: currently suffering from writer's block with 'class of 2017' so here you go :)