Relations

Opaque

Breaking up is hard and Park Jihyo knows that. Relationships are like glass, sometimes its better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together.

"We can't be together anymore."

"What? But baby h-how? Why?"

"We barely have time for each other with me being the student council President and you being our basketball team's Captain."

"But that can be fixed. I don't understand."

"It's for the best, I'm sorry."

The two were silent for a moment. Each one waiting for the other's next action. "Jih we've been practicing this for a million times already. I'm sure it'll all go well." stated the younger while streching out her arms. Sure enough they were in the cafeteria for quite long since it was empty just a while ago and now, students were arriving from their afternoon classes.

Jihyo responded with a shrug. "I'm just nervous about breaking up with him Mina," she sighed. Jihyo and Im Jaebum, PJU's basketball team Captain, are dating for about a year now and they're known to be one of the "cutest couples" in the campus. She is sure that news about their break up will cause a big talk about it and if there's one thing Park Jihyo hates, its being talked about. "And we've practiced this for 8 times only." Fidgeting on her chair, Jihyo began to chew her nails out of nervousness. 

"He's here. I'll be waiting for you at the front door." Mina said and giving her friend a tight hug. She smiled to Jaebum on her way out and silently wished the two of them luck. She felt a sense of déjà vu though, its been four years since their break up and she admits she misses her ex from time to time but it ended. It ended because of her, because she didn't saw her ex girlfriend's worth before and it was too late. I think we were meant to be... but we did it wrong. When a breakup happens, you see your world falling down around you. Each memory that you have built together one brick at a time, has tumbled down and lies at your feet. But it was too late to save anything.

"I'm scared Jay." Mina said in between sobs. It was PE class and their teacher led them to the scool's playground to assess their physical strength. They should climb the slide, swing, and then ride the seesaw one by one. Myoui Mina is afraid of heights and Jay knows that very well. "I c-can't it's too high" said Mina who was now crying from fear. Jay took her hand and patted her back. "I'll be right behind you Mina there's no reason to be afraid," Jay assured Mina with her soft voice which kinda did the trick. Mina always loved her voice. How Jay managed to erase all her fears is still a mystery to her. 

With another last nod from Jay, Mina faced the slide and braced herself for the descend. But the horrorful 60cm drop did not come because all Mina could feel was a pair of arms hugging her from behind and whispering words of encouragement. Neither did Mina felt they were already at the bottom of the slide and when Jay withdrew her hands, she didn't like it one bit. It was as if something was missing. "See? I told you I'd be right behind you," Jay said grinning and proudly patted Mina's head. "You don't have to go through your fears alone anymore Mina."

Mina's eyes swelled again with tears. Jay was the first person to have ever said such beautiful words to her and the last time Mina checked, it was also the first time she played on the slide without feeling any fears. Next up was the swing, Jay volunteered to push Mina and promised she'd go easy on her. All these years Mina didn't know swinging would be this fun. While on the seesaw, they took their time riding until the sun was about to set and the teacher for the nth time begged to stop playing now. "Because you survived the slide, swing, and seesaw today, I'll let you play with my lego sets now." Jay said happily. Mina was sure there will be no happier day than this. 

High school was a mess. But it was never too messy for Jay whenever she's with Mina. When they started high school, you may think Jay was part of the Myoui family now because there wasn't a day gone by that she never visits Mina's house plainly because "she can't study alone". During their second year, she never thought to have another friend other than Mina but she did, all because of a pack of jelly. 

They say some things that happens in high school lasts for a lifetime and Jay believed that. Or maybe believed that the hard way. It was during an exclusive and private wedding of a friend that both Myoui Hospital and Yoo Lego Group had to attend. Jay didn't have any plans on attending this event but quickly changed her mind when a certain penguin called and asked if she could keep her company while the grown ups talk about business. She honestly did not know why but when it comes to Mina, she'd travel the whole world if she told her to and that was how Jay found herself wearing a white suit for the first time in her life.

"I thought you wouldn't be coming." greeted her father when she entered the entrance hall. The higher-ups surrounding the CEO also bowed and greeted Jay then as if in unison, offered their glass of wine to her. Well of course being her daughter also have some perks. She made up an excuse saying that as her daughter, she should be showing support to their company's business partner just like her sister SeungYeon. CEO Yoo laughed at her daughter's failed attempt to hide her true intention of changing her mind. "Mina is there talking with your mother." he said and left with a grin. 

If she were to describe Mina, she couldn't because she was left in awe staring at the unbelivable beauty in front of her. Mina was also wearing a white long-sleeved dress with her wavy hair down. At first Jay thought she was seeing an angel but then she confirmed that Mina is indeed an angel, an angel sent from heaven itself and landed here on earth exactly in front of Jay.

"Jay sweetie you would want to close your mouth. You know it wouldn't do us any good if the daughter of Yoo Lego Group was seen choking because a fly happened to land inside her open mouth." Mrs. Yoo teased. And just suddenly Jay was snapped out of her daydream and greeted her mother with a kiss on the cheek. Jay already had experiences with ballroom dancing before but she was never this nervous by just asking a girl's permission. "H-hi Mina," she mentally scolded herself for stuttering. "Mind if I'll take this dance?" By which Mina responded with a shy nod. Dancing together as if nobody else existed, Jay realized she wanted to see her partner's face everyday being the first thing she'll see when she wakes up and the last thing she'll see before sleeping. She realized why there was something in Mina that could make her travel to the moon and snatch it for her if she could. Why she couldn't last any moment without being with her and right then and there, not wanting to waste the perfect time, she kneeled on one knee and said,

"Myoui Mina, I also don't know why I'm doing this but I do know that I just couldn't let this night pass without telling you how I feel. You were always my first. My first friend, my first playmate, my first food buddy, my first seatmate, my first best friend, my first "let's sneak out" partner in crime, my first dance that made me nervous as hell and my first love. I won't be asking you to be my girlfriend yet but I want to ask you if its okay to fall for you. Oh god this is very cringey and I did not drink okay? But I want you to be my first and last love, my first soon-to-be and last girlfriend. Will you catch me if I fall?"

Jay heard her heart beating which she was very sure was impossible. Mina's eyes were threatening to fall with tears and she covered from the shocking event. After what felt like eternity, she chuckled and ruffled Jay's shoulder-length hair. "If you stand up from there stupid, I'll say yes." Honestly, Mina was feeling the same thing ever since they were kids but was too unfamiliar with it that she chose to ignore it. Jay couldn't believe her ears and stood up quickly making her trip and lose her balance, bumping on a waiter that happened to pass by and spilled herself some red wine in the process. She was about to die from embarassment when she heard Mina hooting with laughter. For her, being the CEO's daughter spilled with red wine in front of hundreds of people didn't matter as long as she's able to make Mina show her gummy smile.

They heard a cough from behind and saw Dr. Myoui and CEO Yoo watching them with amusement. "I think you two owe us an explanation."

"Mina"

Mina was snapped out of her memory and saw Jihyo waving her hand in front of her. "Oh Jihyo! How was it?" Jihyo didn't answer right away and Mina noticed that her eyes were blood red and reckoned it was from crying. Mina suggested to go back to their dormitory room to let Jihyo have some rest but she declined saying she have to check up on DubChaeng because they somehow got themselves into trouble with Tzuyu. Mina refused to leave Jihyo alone knowing that she wouldn't be herself after a break-up. Their walk to the three maknae's room was silent obviously because Jihyo was still broken and Mina was once again caught up in her past. The silence was broken when they heard shouts and silhouttes in front of the young one's room.

"Really Tzuyu we're sorry."

"Please forgive us pleeaaseee?"

"You know you shouldn't be pushing her like that right?" Dahyun and Chaeyoung glared at Jeong for her remark. Jeong raised both her hands up in defeat and looked at Momo who was busy devouring her potato chips. Ever since this morning, the two were creating a fuss for the reason that they hadn't been able to say sorry to Tzuyu first thing in the morning because they were already late and the reason was Jeongyeon. They would've been 20 minutes early if Jeong hadn't made them clean up the mess in the living room and in the kitchen. Jeong defended herself by saying that "I'm the owner of this room so shouldn't you be repaying me for letting you stay here last night?"

The two midgets were now on their knees and kept saying sorry to Tzuyu when Jihyo and Mina came. "Jihyo unnie finally! Can you make Tzuyu forgive us now?" Chaeng said cutely. "We promise we won't do it again" Dahyun added. Jihyo rolled her eyes at the recklessness of the two.

"What do you say Mina? Should we help them or punish them more?" Jihyo asked. She was looking at the two pranksters at first but then was curious as to why Mina didn't answered. "Mina?" She turned around and saw Mina who was so pale it was as if she saw a ghost and was poured with cold water at the same time. She was looking at Jeong's direction who was acting as if she saw no one. Tears were beginning to form on her eyes and she hates it when she's crying in front of many people so she ran back to the direction where they came from, a voice ringing inside her head, still clear even though it was four years ago.

"I, Yoo Jeongyeon, have just fallen in love with the right person in the wrong time, who I know will forever stay in my heart for a lifetime."