How about me?

Why must I be the Unlucky One?

Key’s Point of View


I called her house to check up on her. Her mom answered and said she’s still not home. It’s getting late. Crap. I should’ve known. She’s not the type who’ll go around and break others’ hearts and shrug it off. She’s probably sulking somewhere for having to hurt Minho. Thankfully, I just know the right place where she would go – The Park.

I got there and I was right, she was there. She’s sitting at the usual bench and her head hung low. Even when sad, she looked cute. I went closer and sat on the opposite bench.

“Yah. What’s a school girl doing here in the middle of the night?” That’s when she realized my presence and turned.

“What’s a diva doing here?” She replied with a chuckle.

“Well.. Apparently, the diva saw a school girl sulking. Then he figured he must cheer her up.” I said with a smile. She transferred next to me.

“Just seeing the diva, the school girl already feels cheered up.”

We both chuckled.

“You okay?” I asked turning serious.

“Yeah.”

“Stop faking. It’s okay not to be fine.” That’s when she started to cry. My heart broke seeing her like this. I hugged her and remained silent.

She finally stopped and thanked me.

“Thanks, you always make me feel better.”

“I know right?” I smirked.

“Riiiiight.” She rolled her eyes jokingly.

I looked at my watch, it was past 12. “Yoo Rin, your mom’s probably worried that you’re still out. I should take you home.” She agreed.

Since there were no cabs available at this hour, we just walked. That gave me more time to spend with her. Keke~ we talked a lot or more like I listened (Most talks, I would do the talking, but when I’m with her, it’s like I want to hear her voice forever.), mostly about how things are going around her school. Thank god she isn’t too close with Taemin at school. Mehehe~

Her mom opened the gate looking worried and invited me in. I couldn’t say No.

“Thank you so much for bringing her back.” She smiled at me and shifted to a glare when she turned to Yoo Rin. “I’ll go prepare something.”

“Aniyo. Please don’t, Auntie. I’ll be heading out anyway.” I said politely.

“At this hour?! It’s dangerous out there even for a guy.”

“I can handle it.” I said.

“No. You’re staying. Head out tomorrow.” She said, almost an order. Then she walked away to the kitchen.

“I’m sorry. My mom’s stubborn. Do you have schedule?” Yoo Rin said as we sat on the couch.

“It’s good that I don’t have.” I grinned.

“Oh.. Stay then. Would you like to watch?” She offered the tv and I nodded. Her mom came back with cake slices and juice then said goodnight.  On air, it was news. No, interview.. of Jonghyun and Se Kyung. I glanced at Yoo Rin, she didn’t flinch or anything but watched like it was a normal show. She must’ve really moved on.

The couple was acting all lovey dovey and answered each question with a quick glance and a smile to each other. I wasn’t really paying attention to hyung and his girlfriend, I was watching Yoo Rin. She seems really fine with it.

“Uh.. Yoo Rin?”

“Hmn? .. Oh. Do you want to sleep? I’ll show you the guest room..” She said parting her eyes off the screen.

“Oh, I’m not really sleepy.”

“What is it then?” She asked as I turned the TV off, she looked back at me curiously.

“I just wanted to ask… uh.. What did you.. see on Jjong hyung?”

“What do you mean?”

“You know, what did you liked about him?”

She chuckled and smiled. “I don’t really know. It just sort of happened.”

“Oh, come on. There must be something.” I argued.

“Uh… His voice?” She thought hard.

“That’s it? Onew hyung can do better.”

“He makes me happy.”

“I make you happy too!” And she chuckled at that.

“He helped me improve my voice when I was a trainee..”

“Taemin helped you with dancing...”

“He was a perfect gentleman..” she continued.

“Minho’s a gentleman.” I pointed out.

“Key!”

“What?” I said innocently.

“You asked me what I liked about him but you kept on counter attacking his traits.”

“Well, I don’t really see what you liked about him when everybody can do better.”

“That’s why I said I don’t really know, in the first place.” She argued.

“Okay, okay. Geez! So, anyway… do you have some new guy or something? You didn’t even sulk when you watched the interview.” I said.

“Uh.. Anyway, I was thinking of giving a chance to Taemin.” She said and my I froze. I shouldn’t have asked.

“D-Do you love h-him?” I started stuttering and she looked away.

“I don’t think so. But.. I can try.. I’ll learn to love him back.” She said.

“The both of you will only get hurt.”

“I’ve already hurt Minho, I don’t want to hurt others anymore! I know how it feels to be dumped.” She said, hiding her face. She must be going to cry.

“Is that okay with you? Sacrificing your own happiness for someone? I don’t think it’s wise. Don’t even try something stupid.” I said and she just kept quiet.

“If you’re with Taemin, do you think everyone’s going to be happy?!” I was angry for a reason I don’t know. Or maybe it’s because I really like her and I don’t want her to end up with my dongsaeng? I thought bitterly.

And with that thought, I ended up blurting:

“How about me?!”