Two

My Dad's First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So Jingkyung-ssi, your mother is not your biological mother?” the host asked, walking out of the studio after the interview ended. “And you knew it all the time?”

The young actress nodded with a smile. “She might not be my real mom, but she’s the one who gave both me and my dad a real life. A life that’s worth living.

~~~~~~~~

Jae In woke up from her peaceful deep slumber, thanks to an ear splitting cry coming from next door.

The baby must be awake. Yes.

And the walls are not sound proof at all. Absolutely yes.

She stayed lying on her bed facing the ceiling, listening to the cries and waiting for them to stop anytime soon. But she waited for more than half an hour but the baby’s cries went on and on without taking a single break.

She looked at her bedroom wall clock.

Guess the dad can’t calm her down again.

 

And there she was, ringing her neighbour’s doorbell at two thirty in the morning.

She rang it twice, and right before she could press the button again, he opened the door.

With a perfectly cherry red faced baby bundle in his left arm.

His eyes widened at her sight. “Ahjussi may I help you? Here, give her to me.” Jae In took the baby from its dumbfounded dad. “Who’s crying and not listening to her appa... Be a good girl and calm down my baby...” she cradled the little one lovingly in her arms, and looked up at the staring man. “Ahjussi I think she’s hungry. Is there any baby formula in the house?”

“Baby formula? Ah, yes.” Snapping out of his surprised daze, Junmyeon turned around and rushed into the kitchen. Jae In walked in with the baby, and hearing a few saucepans clattering their way down to the kitchen floor (probably those who were still asleep after hearing the baby’s crying in the neighbouring apartments, must have woke up thanks to that clattering), she decided to head to the kitchen herself.

“I guess you don’t know how to make it.” She pursed her lips at the confused looking man at the kitchen counter. “Let’s boil the water first... and yes, three spoonfuls into the feeding bottle.”

* * *

Junmyeon watched in amazement, as his daughter was happily gulping down her meal in the girls arms. “See! She was just hungry, that’s why she cried so hard.” Jae In said, smiling at the infant in her hold as she paced the small living room.

“I... I didn’t know.” Junmyeon muttered. “I thought she was just sleepy.”

There he goes. With that heartbreakingly helpless tone again.

“It’s alright. Not everyone is great with their first child. Babies can’t talk, and they just cry no matter whatever the reason. I just know stuff because I took care of both my unnie’s kids.”

“I see...” he nodded, watching her from the couch. “I’m really grateful...” he paused for a moment. “And you are...?”

“Oh, I’m Moon Jae In.” the girl said with a slight bow.

“Thank you very much, Moon Jae In-ssi.”

 

She paced around the room for a few minutes more, letting the room be buried in an awkward silence.

“Ahjussi she’s fallen asleep I guess. Shall I tuck her in?”

Junmyeon hurriedly stood up from the couch. “Of course! I set up the cot earlier, let’s take her in.”

 

Jae In placed the baby inside the messily arranged cot, and straightened up. “I’ll get going then, ahjussi.”

“Thank you once again Jae In-ssi... I’m sorry I couldn’t calm her down and ended up waking you so late at night.” he sounded extremely apologetically. And she shook her head with a smile. “It’s totally fine. Parents with small children can’t always have peaceful nights you know.” She said with a friendly chuckle.

“Thank you again.” He said with a soft bow, which was followed by a low growl.

That came unmistakably from his stomach.

She saw his ears turn red in embarrassment.

Hadn’t he even had dinner?

“Gimme a second.” the girl ran back to his kitchen.

 

He followed her, and was unable to do anything but sit at the kitchen table and watch the agile movements of the girl.

 

“Here. Have this ahjussi.”

He looked at the steaming mug of hot chocolate placed in front of him, and looked up at her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter