One

My Dad's First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“This movie is based on a novel written by your mother. Kim Jinkyung-ssi, you’re so lucky to get the lead role of the story written by your own mom. How do you feel about this?”

The twenty one year-old actress smiled at the host of the TV interview. “Of course, I’m so lucky to play a role written by my mom... and more over, this is the story of my dad’s first love. So it is more meaningful and heartfelt to me.”

The host’s eyes visibly widened. “Your dad’s first love? But Jinkyung-ssi, isn’t this the love story of a single dad?” she asked sounding puzzled.

Jinkyung nodded with a smile. “It might sound confusing, but my appa met his first love after I was born. Not everyone encounters their first love in high school or college you know.”

 

῀῀῀῀῀῀῀῀῀῀῀῀῀῀῀῀

 

“Junmyeon-ah, promise me.”

The aged woman held her son’s hand and clutched onto it, heaving laboured breaths between her words.

Junmyeon answered with trembling lips, tears welling up in his swollen eyes. “Omma...”

“Take care of Seyeon... promise me you’ll look after her...”

He closed his eyes, letting the welled up tears trickle down his face. “Omma...”

“Once I’m gone, she’ll be alone in this world... and so will be you my baby...” she brought up her shaking hand to caress his tear-washed cheeks. The girl who was standing by the doorway, watching everything while crying in silence, muffled her sobs with her hands. “You two only have each other... so promise me to be together... and look after each other...”

“Junmyeon finally nodded, bringing his mother’s hand to his lips and placing a kiss there, trying his best to ignore the unstable beeping coming from the monitor behind her bed. “Please omma... you can’t leave me like this... not like this omma... not after everything I did... Omma...”

 

 

Seyeon was the only person who stood beside Kim Junmyeon at his mother’s funeral, greeting his colleagues, college alumni and schoolmates as a family member. He was more than grateful to have her presence beside him in the funeral parlour until the funeral was over, helping with all the funeral arrangements during day and his throbbing head throughout the night.

His mom was right. After all, they only had each other left in this world.

 

Eun Seyeon was the girl whom he chose as his mother’s nurse when he started attending college, after collecting a decent amount of money to pay for a nurse after working all kinds of part time jobs during his high school years. The girl was from an orphanage, humble and truly caring for his mother like a real daughter, and his mother got fond of the girl and built up a bond between them in no time. Since then, Eun Seyeon practically lived with them, taking care of his mom and all the household work, while Junmyeon worked and studied at the same time until he finally graduated and got a job at a well recognized bank.

 

 

Junmyeon prepared their marriage within two months from his mother’s passing away. Not a extravagant function, firstly because he was not in a place to rejoice after losing his one and only family left in the world, and secondly because he didn’t yet have the financial means, nor had many friends and well wishers to invite over.

 

“You don’t have to.”

He heard those words from Seyeon until the last night before their wedding. “You really don’t have to take me in Junmyeon-ssi. You don’t have to do this because Mrs. Kim asked you to do so.”

He smiled at her. “You are my responsibility. I’m more than grateful to you for taking care of my mom like she was your own mom...all these years.” He sighed, the smile still not leaving his face. “Now it’s my turn to repay you. I will be by your side always, so you’ll never feel left alone in this world.” He caringly her head.

 

 

“You don’t have to.”

She stared at his face, as they sat face to face inside their hotel room, the night of their wedding. “You look tired after standing up almost all day at the wedding. Let’s just go to sleep.” she said with a smile.

 

“We’re married.” He said t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter