Eight

My Dad's First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Um... Junmyeon-ssi,”

Junmyeon averted his eyes from the little one who was stealing the sandwiches from his breakfast plate, and looked up at the girl sitting across the table.

“I have something to show you.” Jae In scratched her head with a sheepish smile.

“What is it Jae In?”

“Gimme a second.” the girl stood up from the table and ran straight out of the house, leaving him confused and curious for a moment.

And she reappeared in a minute with a large framed canvas in her arms. “I... painted something.” She bit her lip with a shy smile. “Would you like to see?”

His eyes widened, and he stood up from the table. “Of course... do you even have to ask?”

He walked around the table and took the framed painting from the girl’s hands.

“Oh my goodness...”

 

The painting depicting a father leaning back on a chair with his baby daughter curled up on his chest, both drifted off to a sleep. “When did you draw this...? I mean when was this?”

“About two months ago.” Jae In replied with a shy smile. “You fell asleep with Jinnie and I sketched it out, and completed adding colours in my place when I had free time.”

Junmyeon couldn’t take his eyes off the drawing, as he spoke again, his voice full of admiration. “Can I keep this?”

“Of course it’s for you.” the girl beamed at him.

“I’m going to hang this in the living room. It’s just... I’m not a professional to judge this, but I really can see that you have the talent in you Jae In-ah. This is just so precious.”

Jae in recalled the curt remarks she used to get from Jongin whenever she had showed him one of her sketches, and how he quickly changed the topic back to his training and music. That’s how it had been, for the past few years which she had considered as the best days of her life.

Her short stream of thoughts was cut off by the gentle palm placed on the back of her head. “Any more masterpieces hidden in your apartment?”

“Nothing yet...” the girl bit her lip with a smile.

 

She was smiling for real now. And she was smiling more often now. It had been nearly a month since Junmyeon’s sincere feelings had been revealed in front of her, and yes, she was staying with them, continuing to take care of the little one as well as her dad who had started going back to work as usual by now.

Even though that certain topic was not brought into talk between them again, both of them were opening up to each other more since that day, getting more closer, and caring more for each other.

Basically becoming family, although the feelings remained untold.

And Junmyeon was the most patient one, waiting in silence for her to get over her previous love.

 

Somewhere between the days those were spent not knowing exactly what their relationship was, Jae In’s heart started racing when he decided he should pay her a visit every day before the girl went to sleep.

She didn’t know whether he did it intentionally or it was his natural caring instinct, but every time he stood leaning on the doorframe to her bedroom, Jae In’s heart skipped a beat. If the door was open, he would walk in, drag the stool in front of her vanity and take a seat.

“Jae In-ah... Do you have any trouble falling asleep?” he would ask, hesitantly. “Any nightmares? Nothing right?”

And her answer was no all the time, laced with a smile. She knew, that he was worried whether the girl was having any troubles like depression or anxiety due to her break up.

“I’m a strong girl you know.” She would smile. “The past is long gone Junmyeon-ssi, I don’t think about him anymore.”

He cannot hide the relief when he hears those words, but he just nods in silence, before patting her head gently. “Don’t hesitate to call me, if you need anything...arasso?”

After a several seconds of silently staring at the girl, he would leave, biding a curt good night or a farewell.

Jae In saw it. The urge to kiss her good night, the longing to initiate further intimacy, all the love and desires he hide behind the caring, she saw everything. And she knew it’s about time she gave in, because somewhere deep down in her heart as well, she felt that the feelings were mutual.

 

Lost in all these puzzling thoughts, she started rinsing the boiled noodles for Jinkyung’s meal. A familiar warmth brushed against her back, and she whirled her head around to find him standing right behind her, with a slight pout on his lips.

Adorable.

“How about teaching me to prepare a basic meal? At least for Jinkyung?”

Junmyeon asked, watching her placing the noodles aside and starting to stir fry the vegetables.

“I think it’s better if I do it alone. You’re not very skilled with household work you know, Junmyeon-ssi.”

“But then I can spare you some more time to write and draw.”

“That I can manage...”

The door bell rang, interrupting their conversation.

“I’ll get it.” Junmyeon walked away, and soon after, a loud voice filled the apartment.

 

“Where’s my baby Jinnie!!! Jinkyung-ah...your favourite uncle is here! CHANYEOL SAMCHOON IS HERE!!!”

The little girl barged out from the bedroom hearing the familiar booming voice, and threw herself into the young man’s arms, who had knelt down and lifted her up with him. “There you are! My Princess!” he received a peck on his cheek in a trice, and he handed over a bag he had brought to the little girl’s father. “Some snacks. For Jinnie.”

“I always tell you not to bring too many of them...” Junmyeon grumbled, taking the large shopping bag with him to the kitchen. “Jinkyung just keep on eating them and skips her meals...”

“Aish...stop nagging grandma.” Chanyeol entered the kitchen with the child still in his arms. “Anyeong Jae In-ssi!”

Jae In put aside her frying pan, and bowed with a smile. “Anyeonghaseyo, Chanyeol-ssi.”

Looking at both his friend and the babysitter, Chanyeol scrunched his nose. “What’s this? It’s the weekend and you’re all cooped up in this house all day?”

“There’re light rains from time to time Chanyeol-ah, we can’t take Jinkyung out–”

“That’s why I’m here. Hyung, take Jae In-ssi out for a date. I’ll look after Jinnie for the day.”

Both Junmyeon and Jae In blinked at him.

“What? Haven’t heard of dates before? Do out, watch a movie together, maybe take a walk together, grab a meal from a nice place, and so on...just have some time to yourselves!”

Junmyeon started scratching an eyebrow.

“Hyung! You two aren’t getting anywhere with this, are you? So just, go out by yourselves and talk things out. Open up to each other! You are driving me insane right now.”

~ ~ ~ ~

And the two were walking down the street towards the cinema, forced out of the apartment courtesy Park Chanyeol.

“Any movie you’d like to watch?” Junmyeon asked, peering into her face.

“Anything but not action genre.” The answer escaped her lips faster than she Jae In had intended.

The girl ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter