Beginning

Important Words

Wendy didn't know liking someone could be so complicated.

 

Well, liking was a light way to put it. She was head over hills for the girl she's been friends since their childhood, Seulgi. She noticed that her usual friendly feelings started to change when both of them went on a road trip on their junior year with their high school class, when Seulgi started to strip in front of her on their shared hotel room, after a long day of walking in museums and aquariums, and enduring their classmates. Wendy thought she was just imagining things as she looked at Seulgi's , as a result of almost exerting herself earlier, but snapped out of her exaustion haze when Seulgi caught her attention.

 

"Man, I wish I could paint as well as those artists... After seeing that exposition I feel like ." Seulgi spoke while getting rid of her jeans and throwing them in her bag. "Jezz, those things are tight!"

 

Wendy blushed hard when she acknowledge that what she was seeing was indeed very real, and only had time to violently look down to the floor to hide her red face from the eyes of her best friend. She never thought that she would be this interested in a worn, navy blue carpet.

 

"And those fish... " Seulgi continued rambling and turned around to face Wendy. "I still don't understand how they don't sink. I mean, do they balance themselves like we do? I can't wrap my mind into it." She finished her thought while putting her pajama pants.

 

"Well, if you actually payed attention to class, you would know that they have an organ that does that." Wendy silently sighed, thanking the gods that her voice didn't give her away.

 

"Really? No way Mr. Choi talked about that, I'd remember. I actually liked biology because I get to study anatomy and improve my drawings." Seulgi said seriously and grunted right after. "Dammit, this shirt- it always gets stuck in my bun."

 

Wendy lifted her head after the unintentional warning from Seulgi, and looked at her. "Yeah, he talked about that. And that was one of the questions for that surprise quiz." With that, Seulgi looked at her, eyes wide.

"What!? Damn... Guess I really didn't pay attention." She said, mocking a defeat tone. "Well, that's okay. At least I got you to teach me things, right Wan?"

 

Wendy once again blushed, but not as hard as earlier, and scoffed at the cheesy comment. "Yeah, sure, you dumb bear."

 

Her friend only looked at her, smiling widely, eyes turned into crescents. "I can be a dumb bear, but you're the dumb bear's best friend. Forever. And you can't change that."

 

Wendy's heart skipped a beat with her words. "Y-yeah, I guess I can't." She looked at her cellphone to check the time and headed to the bed. "Come on Seulgi, we gotta sleep. Mrs. Kim told us to be at the loby at eight o'clock sharp. She won't be happy if we slept in again..."

 

"You mean you slept in again, right? Even thought you're a light sleeper you sure took your sweet time to wake up yesterday." Seulgi said as she sat down on the other side of the bed.

 

"Well, I couldn't sleep because someone snored all night long and didn't want to shift so she could breathe better." Wendy backfired playfully, knowing that Seulgi wasn't at fault, because that wasn't the true reason she stayed awake for so long after Seulgi fell asleep.

 

"Yeah right, like I'm responsible now..." Seulgi said, sounding defeated. "Well, goodnight Wendy, don't stay up late on your phone!"

 

"Good night Seul... I'll try..." Wendy turned off the lamp on the bedside table and lay her head on the pillow. After a few minutes of silence, she risked turning her head to peek at Seulgi, whose light snores filled the room. After adjusting her eyes to the darkness, Wendy could see Seulgi's peaceful face turned to her, drool starting to fall from the corner of . Wendy held back a chuckle and just smiled to herself, thinking that she had a big baby as her best friend. After some time reminiscing about their time together, Wendy's thoughts pulled back the image of semi Seulgi, and she bit her lip at the thought of it. Kang Seulgi was her friend, why was she feeling like this? She knew it wasn't an ordinary feeling, but kept asking herself why. Why was she looking at her best friend with other eyes?

 

Wendy shaked her head as she couldn't answer her own question. She laid there, staring at the ceiling, thinking.

 

Sleeping in the same bed wasn't a problem for Wendy, but again, she feared she would stay up late again.