The Beginning

I ESPecially Like you

The ongoing lecture fades into the background, as Jaehyun glances at the clock, eager for class to end. He's bored, very bored, so bored, in fact he's resulted to doodling on the corner of his textbook to pass time.

He'd never been a numbers guy, let alone a math person, but here he is anyways, sitting through calculus. Jaehyun didn't plan on taking the class, considering he barely passed pre-calc, but it was his mom who convinced him to register.

"It'll be good for your college applications," she said, "You need to take a harsh course load".

When he refused, she retaliated with incessant nagging, until Jaehyun eventually caved. She didn't know the reason he was so hesitant was because it meant removing the class he actually wanted to take: Art.

He hasn't told her, or anyone really, that he wanted to go to art school. It just didn't seem like a feasible option, especially when his mom was dead set on his premed pathway. He tried to drop hints, like alluding to RISD's prestige or talking about the vast career options available for creatives, but each time he gets the same reply. "You can't make money as an artist, and it's a dying career. You're better off as a doctor."

To that, he scoffs. If anything doctors will get replaced by robots, making med a dying career. But begrudgingly, he listens to her and adds calculus to his course load.

Now sitting here, as the teacher blabbers about derivatives, Jaehyun really regrets the decision. He doesn't feel like paying attention, instead focusing on his drawing, which is beginning to look less of a doodle but more so a full out sketch. He's adding contrast to the shadows when his mind drifts to the anime he started last night.

Mob Psycho. A story about an ordinary middle school boy who has special ESP powers.

It occurs to him that he's an ordinary boy too. Maybe not in middle school but high school should be a fair substitute. What if he actually has powers that have laid dormant in him the whole time? What if, right?

Jaehyun wonders if he concentrates hard enough, maybe he could activate hidden abilities and make time move faster. It's an immature delusion, but he's desperate and bored enough to try.

First he clears his mind, before clenching the muscles in his arm, summoning this strange tension that spreads to his fingertips. He points his middle finger at the minute hand, and in one swift motion, moves it up.

As expected, nothing happens. The clock still beats its regular rhythm, continuing it's dreadfully slow descent to 3pm. He sighs, dropping his hand in defeat. The only thing Jaehyun learns from class was that he has a bad case of eighth grade syndrome.


When the bell finally rings, Jaehyun rushes for the door, only to be blocked by the lanky senior, Doyoung.

"Move" he wails, trying to squish through. But the other boy doesn't budge.

"Where do you think you're going"

"Home" Jaehyun retorts, again trying to squirm his way out.

"Oh no you aren't" Doyoung chuckles. He yanks Jaehyun's collar, and drags him out into the hall. The brunette tries to free himself, but Doyoung's grip is firm. "Remember, you still owe me one."

Jaehyun lets out a low whine. "Please not today". More than anything, he wants to go home. The day, though mundane and ordinary, felt absolutely draining. What he needs to do right now is plop onto his bed, play his phone games, and recharge before spending the rest of the evening catching up on the wasted calculus lesson.

Unfortunately, the older boy isn't at all sympathetic. "Lot's of work to be done," he says, completely ignoring Jaehyun's plea, "It's nearing exam season, so the student council is especially busy. You're going to help us with the mountain of paperwork piling on my desk."

Doyoung pinches his nose bridge, as he lets out this frustrated sigh. "I swear it never ends. Just when I think I'm done for the day, the administration needs us to do more."

To this, Jaehyun can't help but to feel sorry for the elder.

He's weak, always has, at rejecting people's requests, especially Doyoung's. During freshman year, they shared a class together; the older had forgotten to take his mandatory art credit the year before, which resulted in being placed in a lower grade. The other boy, though irritatingly uptight, had grown to become one of Jaehyun's best friends. So as much as he's craving to rewind at home, he'd rather not have Doyoung work till death.

"Okay fine" he concedes.

Doyoung's taken back, clearly not expecting Jaehyun to agree. He lets out a grating laugh, causing some heads to turn towards them, before his lips settle into a small smirk. "Good boy."

Jaehyun groans at the reply. "Don't make me change my mind" he warns, but with no resolution to enforce his words.


By the time Jaehyun finally leaves school, the sun was beginning to set. Orange and purple hues spread across the sky, expansive and continuous like the sea. Slowly, the bustling town begins to retire: with shops flipping their open signs, cats returning to their homes, and children abandoning the park swings.

The walk home gives him mixed feelings. It's strange seeing the once lively streets desolate. But at the same time, the emptiness is calming, giving Jaehyun the luxury of silence.

He's about to reach the end of the block, when he hears this loud crash coming from the alley up ahead. It's followed by a gruff yelp, and the sound of explosions, like those dramatic booms you hear in action movies.

An ominous feeling travels across Jaehyun's body, causing him to shiver. He should probably turn back now and take another route, whatever's going on sounds like trouble. For all he knows, it's a gang fight or a mugging. He backs away, ready to run away, before he hears this shrill scream.

It's a woman, and she sounds distressed.

This was probably a signal for him to get the away, but Jaehyun can't move. Not when someone's in trouble. Every instinct in him is telling him to withdraw, but he doesn't break. Instead, he takes a deep breath, before forcing himself to run up to the alley. His feet feel heavy, a sign of his body's resistance, but he goes through with it anyways.

He's standing near the entrance, expecting some grand crime to be occurring, but only to be greeted by darkness. But the screams are still ongoing, sounding even more twisted and pained than previously.

Jaehyun takes another step, when he notices something.

There, at the very back of the alleyway, is this boy wearing a red jacket, his face is covered by the hood. His arm is outreached, while his hand is bent in a way that looks like a claw. Jaehyun's eyes trail up to the direction the boy's facing, before he sees it.

The source of the eerie noises, also the most disgusting thing Jaehyun has ever seen: a tall, black figure, with what seems like human hands sticking from its sides. The thing suddenly leaps at the boy, but only for him to suddenly disappear, causing the monster to miss and slam right into the floor.

The boy in the red jacket then appears out of nowhere, before raising his arm, positioned in the same way Jaehyun had earlier in class, and flicks his wrist. This causes the black figure to be flung up: and when the boy moves his wrist down, accordingly, the figure is hurled back down.
The thing momentarily stops moving, clearly worn out by the battle that's transpired. Jaehyun watches, absolutely shocked, as the boy walks over to the figure while muttering something Jaehyun can't make out, lifts his hand and snaps.

The disgusting creature vanishes. Gone. Vamoosh.

Jaehyun blinks hard, several times, but the thing really did disappear. He barely has time to process what had just happened when the boy in the red jacket lets out a satisfied chuckle, and bends over to pick up a blue backpack that was leaning against the brick wall. At some point during the fight, the hood had fallen off, revealing matching bright red hair that messily spikes all over the place. But in the dim lighting, Jaehyun can't make out the boy's face.

"Oh there's garbage all over you" the boy mutters to his backpack, as he picks off the unwanted remnants that litter the bag.

It doesn't strike Jaehyun that he's been standing there in utter silence the whole time until the boy, who had been walking towards the exit, suddenly stops in his trail when he sees Jaehyun.

As a final departing gesture, the sun travels to where their standing, finally illuminating the murky alley. Nature exposes the boy, ing him away from the mask of darkness, revealing a very familiar face.

"Lee Taeyong?" Jaehyun exclaims.

It's him alright. That unreal beauty and insanely sharp jawline could only belong to one person.

Taeyong lets out a brief gasp, before suddenly, he dissipates into thin air.

"What the .."

Jaehyun looks around, but there's not a trace of the other boy, just an emptiness and large garbage bins nestled at the end of the alleyway.

Bewildered, Jaehyun pinches himself. Hard.

"Ow"