Toxic Rights

Fatal Kiss

Group projects. Mark hated them. He never really understood why he had to work with someone to gain marks when he could do everything on his own. It was frustrating,really,having to tolerate a presence he wasn’t comfortable with for days. 

 

You see,Mark preferred doing things alone. After what happened 5 years ago,he never wanted to involve others anymore. And for the most part outside of school,every blood connection he had felt the same with him. Mark had been living his life alone for 5 years without the help of his parents. He didn’t know if he could still even call them that. He had been staying on the streets for days before he got a job at a cafe. The owner of the place was a kind woman,Mrs Lee,who knew about his story and had let him stay in her home in exchange for his service in the cafe. For the first time,he never felt judged or mistreated. Mark felt safe with her. 

 

Mark had the brains when it came to studies so he easily got a full scholarship to the college he wanted to attend. Mrs Lee paid half for the supplies even when he had insisted he could cover everything. Let’s just say he got the nagging of his life when he tried fighting with Mrs Lee. 

 

“Mark Tuan and Choi Youngjae.” 

 

The boy sighed. He really didn’t want to do this but for the grades,he had to. He stared out the window while his teacher talked about what they should and shouldn’t do in the project. He wasn’t listening because what was the point when it was always the same warnings. Don’t cheat. Don’t copy off the other groups. Do it together. Teamwork must be seen. Those kind of stuff. Mark was aware that the reason for group projects were so that the students bond together and socialize. Mark would happily like that but not when he had something so deadly with him. 

 

One person was enough. 

 

One loved person...is enough. 

 

When the bell rang,the brown haired boy rolled his eyes,knowing what was to come. His predictions were proven right when he heard shuffling beside him as he slowly zipped up his pencil case. As he glanced to his right,he saw a boy who weirdly reminded him of an otter. He was fine with Youngjae. They never really talked,like at all but there wasn’t any bad history between them too. Mark didn’t really have anything with anyone. He was really hidden from the others,having to have learnt his lesson. In short,he only talks when he has too and trust me when I say he hates it because talking out loud means attention. Attention leads to new open relationships. Relationships brings in feelings and for him,feelings mean possible deaths. 

 

Youngjae shyly waved at Mark who only nodded at him. They both weren’t much talkers,it was obviously seen by the awkward tension between them. Mark didn’t want to be the one who speak out so he kept silent,eyes focused on his busy hands. What felt like hours,the boy cleared his throat and asked where they would like to do their project. Less knowledge about the boy,the better. So Mark just said,”Library. After school tomorrow.” 

 

Just like that,Mark left,leaving Youngjae staring at his back as he exited the classroom. 



 

As promised,Mark was in library,sitting at the corner while waiting for Youngjae to arrive. He was writing his essay when a bag was placed in the chair in front of him. He didn’t bother to look up,continuing to finish the sentence. He heard Youngjae muttering a greeting as he put away his paper. It wasn’t that he wanted to be rude,he just wanted people to stay away from him as much as possible. They wouldn’t judge him when they knew he was actually saving their lives. The problem here was that they don’t so he’s constantly seen as a ill-mannered person. He was fine with that,if that makes them go away. 

 

Mark pulled a Biology book in between them,opening up the paged he had marked. Before Youngjae had arrived,the brown haired boy had done his research on the project so that all they have to do is arrange it. “Here.”

 

The younger blinked at him before nodding hesitantly,eyes cast down at the page. Honestly,the boy had his eyes on Mark even before the project. Something about Mark made him intrigue. This project was a chance for him to approach the older but things weren’t going that well. Mark was obviously trying to end this fast,even going that far to find all the information they needed,not leaving any points out Youngjae could help with. 

 

The older boy raised his eyebrow,wondering about the silence he was given by Youngjae. The boy clearly was working gears in his head but Mark just didn’t know why. He didn’t have to since all information was laid out for them,all they had to do was arrange it. What’s so hard about that? Does he have to do this to? God,this was why he hated groupe projects. Why group up when you’re gonna work alone? ,honestly. 

 

“Something wrong?” Mark sighed,finally breaking the ice. Youngjae was quick to snap out of whatever he was doing in his mind as he shook his head nervously. The brown haired boy nodded,paying no more attention to him as he started pointing out where they should put the points in which category. At this point,he didn’t even care if Youngjae was listening and that if he was being a maniac,talking to himself,he just wanted to get this over with. Like he said,the faster it ends,the better for both of them. 

 

After a good hour,they finally finished the project. Youngjae decided to stop looking at Mark and cooperate in the project,giving some great ideas which impressed the older a little but of course,he never showed. Exposing more meant more bad for Mark and he just couldn’t risk that. And with that thought planted in his head since the death of Jackson,he quickly packed up his things and made a move to leave but he found himself halted in his steps as Youngjae held his wrist,glancing up at him with big eyes filled with hesitance. 

 

Mark waited. Youngjae said nothing. 

 

Mark grew impatient and tried wriggling his wrist out of the younger’s hold. Youngjae gasped and tightened his grasp. He couldn’t let this chance slip away. The chances of Mark and him interacting ever again after this was close to zero and if he doesn’t act on it,he may never get to know about the older more than his name and age. To put it straight,Youngjae really liked Mark and he wanted to cross this line,to be more than...than whatever this is. He had enough of just staring from afar. Actually,it’s not that. Now that he experienced being right in front of Mark,talking to him,he never wanted to return to the shy boy he was before. Mark had to be his.

 

“A-Are you free? After this?” 

 

The answer came cold. “No.”

 

But Youngjae didn’t want to give up just like this. “How about tomorrow?”

 

“...No.” Mark said,his voice blank of emotions. “The answer will always be no. Now,let me go. I need to be somewhere right now.” 

 

Youngjae could only pout,bottom lip wobbling. He huffed and let Mark go,muttering about how mean he was. 

 

The older sighed softly,shaking his head. This was why he never want to interact with anyone. He might have not killed someone this time,Youngjae was still hurt. He felt guilty of course. How could he not? But he had to keep this facade up. If he stays and comforts the boy,this won’t end well. With a heavy heart,he his heel,walking away from Youngjae who had a lone tear down his cheek,glaring at Mark’s silhouette. 


 

A week later,Mark was glad to know that the project gave them a great start for his marks. Mrs Lee praised him for that,rewarding him with his favourite cookies she always baked. Youngjae didn’t approach him at all after his rude rejection. Mark kinda expected that,seeing that he acted like an . It was a good sign for Mark. He could stay single forever if it meant saving others from deaths. Youngjae was too young. He clearly had a bright future ahead of him. Good grades,trust-worthy friends,great manners,there was no doubt he would succeed in life so to have him stop that? Mark just wasn’t worth that and he hoped Youngjae thought the same and pine over some rude dude. 

 

Mark was walking to the convenience store,getting some snacks when he suddenly felt eyes at him. Carefully,he glanced around but saw nothing. There was no one except for the cashier who was doing his thing so why can’t the feeling of being watched just go away and leave him alone? He decided that there was something wrong,he ditched the snacks and exited the store,wanting to get home fast. 

 

As he turned a corner,he could hear fast footsteps following behind him. Mark’s breath hitched,hiding behind the wall. He didn’t care if he got killed. Besides,that would be a good thing to the world. One danger vanished. That’s definitely a good thing. Mark’s just curious. Why and who would follow a boy with absolutely nothing to offer? 

 

Mark groaned when he finally saw who his stalker was. “Why are you following me,Youngjae?” 

 

Youngjae looked off. He stepped closer to the older,smile getting wider. Mark was starting to feel fear creeping up his body and mind. The brown haired boy gulped in fear as he took a few steps back and the other clearly didn’t like that as he tilted his head,frowning. 

 

“Why are you going away,Mark? I like you. Why don’t you like me?” The boy has gone crazy,Mark concluded. This was nothing like the Youngjae he rejected last week. The soft and shy gaze in Youngjae’s eyes were no longer there,replaced by something distant and anger. Harsh hands flew up to grab Mark’s shoulder,preventing him from moving any further. Mark didn’t dare struggle in his hold,scaring that he would anger the younger more. All he did was stare into the dark eyes of Youngjae,hoping he would come to senses and leave him alone. 

 

Of course that didn’t happen when he felt something crashing onto his lips. Mark’s eyes widened as he realised it was Youngjae kissing him. No. No. This can’t happen. He started hitting Youngjae’s chest and shoulder,wanting to pull away as soon as possible but the younger only tightened his hold,pulling the older boy closer. Mark felt tears of frustration and fear rolling down his face as he never stopped pushing away. The feeling of another person dying because of him was tearing him apart and him not being able to stop it made it worse. 

 

“Y-Youngjae,don’t-” Mark whimpered pleadingly into the forced kiss,not liking it at all. It hurt him to do it. His pleas seemed to have work as Youngjae loosened his hold on Mark,giving him the chance to escape. The older boy breathed heavily as he pushed Youngjae away,staring at him in fright. Mark wasn’t scared of Youngjae but for him instead. Youngjae took it the wrong way,having to thought Mark was terrified of him. He started reaching out for the older who sprinted away,wanting to hide in his room as soon as possible. 

 

Youngjae chased after him,yelling out Mark’s name as he wanted to apologise. He never wanted to make Mark feel afraid of him,he didn’t even know what took over him. One day,he just woke up,not liking the way Mark wasn’t his and he had to do something to satisfy his needs. But since that was all he could think about,apologising and explaining to Mark,he never saw what was coming for him as the last thing he heard was a loud honk before his vision gone black. 

 

The brown haired boy stopped,shaking when he heard the horrifying sound. He had feared this would happen. He had tried to prevent this from happening so why couldn’t Youngjae just stay down and let him do everything? 

 

Now that Youngjae was declared dead on spot,Mark couldn’t save anyone. Not even himself as he was slowly dying inside.