Boketto

Collection of Short Stories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnTQTiVfL0E

As the title this time, it is in Japanese which mean [The act of gazing vacantly into the distance without a thought]

Enjoy this amateur-writing short story!

I listen to this song when I was writing this story. It supposedly a sad song because this OST played when aoba johsai lost the game and our Oikawa cried TT #forgivemyhaikyufangirlingmode


I've never thought that I get to meet him again here in high school; we're in the same high school AGAIN and in fact we are classmate too. What a coincidence.

Or should I say, fate?

That guy, it's really hard to describe about him but one thing for sure, he's a complicated guy since I've known him in middle school. He's a quiet person to be exact. The kind of person that always stares outside of the window; seems to be into nothingness. Nobody could understand what is inside his mind and his way of thinking. Thus, he's always alone but he doesn't look lonely to me. He only speaks when someone talk or ask him questions but then it's only short answers.

A lone ranger, I should call him that. The lone ranger with the mysterious aura that draws me into wanting to know him more and especially when I was in my last year of middle school, him and his covered-the-eyes bangs accidentally bumped into each other.

It was the funniest and most memorable moment I've ever encountered with him. What I mean the most memorable is that the minute I saw his full face clearly as the bangs got messed up and showed his unforgettable features, I was mesmerised by it that I even forgot how to breathe. Say I'm exaggerating but it's true.

The face is small and round then complimented with the big black eyes and button nose. His lips, somehow before I get to see the face, I always thought that lips look like a girls' lips as I take a glance whenever I had a chance; that small and pouty lips. Now, all of the thoughts dispersed as the image of his perfect look after the incident absolutely glued into my brain and remembered it till now vividly.

My ideal type of boyfriend is a total opposite of what he is but then it got thrown away and replaced with the existence of him; the perks of falling in love at first sight. After that, I couldn't ignore his presence despite his incognito mode in school because my eyes naturally follow his silhouette.

Today is the first day of high school and again he picks his favourite spot, a last row seat next to window. Since the layout of the tables are pairing and we can pick randomly, thus I'm not wasting my time and immediate pick a seat next to him. I already set my intention from early when I saw his name in the list of my class at notice board is to make him recognized me and make him realised that I like him; slowly but surely. Also, I can get to know him better.

"uhm, hi! I'm- ", I didn't get to finish introducing myself when he already cut me off.

"I know you. We've been in the same class since middle school. I even remember you're the one that accidentally bump into me because you carried a tower of books.", he said swiftly while facing outside with a hand support his chin, leaving me speechless.

'He remembers me. What should I do now? Oh my God. Stay calm and act cool, Y/N.'

"Oh wow. I'm glad to know that you still remember me. That make things easier now.", I try not be giddy much around him especially when that's my first proper conversation with him. Me hearing him speaking closely makes my butterflies in my stomach gone wild!

'Sheez. It's my first day sitting next to him and I already like this. I hope I can control myself whenever I'm around him next time.'

While he's staring outside, I just can't stop myself from keep glancing at him and admiring his side profile. While I'm thinking why am I even fall in love with this kind of guy, I don't even realise that he's already looking back at me with that dark and deep black eyes of his while calling out my name a few times. I start to imagine the impossible moment when we get into relationship and as far till we get married when the homeroom teacher slams my table with a thick book to wake me up from my daydream.

"Y/N, what are you daydreaming about? Care to tell the whole class as you seem to be in a happy mood and grinning like a crazy person over there?", it's just first day of high school and I already have an awkward moment while sitting next to him.

"Oh! It's nothing, teacher. I'm just really happy to see all those petals fall prettily.", with a sheepish smile appear on my face, I tried to calm down my heart that beating faster than a racing car as I feel a pair of dark eyes still on me and I turn my head to see that beautiful rare smirk and he turn his head to shift his attention to the homeroom teacher.

'Oh no! does he realised that I've been staring at him all this time? This is really bad for me and my heart, boy. Please be considerate to my soul and why do I even sit here when I know I'm such a klutz?'

"You know you're being way too apparent about your feelings for me, no?", what? My mind goes blank and I try to process with whatever that he spews from his small lips.

'He knows that too?! Since when?' I can't sit still when I want to know either he talks non sense or what. Consequently, I speak quickly without even thinking thoroughly.

"Well. Since you realised my feelings for you so let me be frank about it. This may be weird but ever since we bumped into each other last time, my mind started to keep on flashing back to the moment when I saw you for the first time.", The opportunity is getting brighter as the teacher goes out and while waiting for the second period, I've muster every last piece of courage and honesty I could get to make sure he understands. The nerve-wrecking moment makes me want to run away.

'Here goes nothing. It's now or never.' He seems to be paying full attention whatever I'm going to say and I have to turn my head away from him before I forget what to say.

"I like you. Seriously admire you, that's what I think first. Probably because of the way you look and so I believed that the short feeling will fade away but to my mistake, ever since that incident I keep on looking for you and wherever you are, I can't keep my eyes off you. This feeling lingers in my heart even stronger than I've ever expected and somehow it makes me jealous when there's some girls talking to you or love letter to you directly when I think that they've possibly seen your face before. After that, I realised that I have fallen for you.", I clasp my hand together to avoid being fidgety about this abrupt confession but he seems to be preoccupied.

'Did I make a mistake already? I probably shouldn't confess first. This absolutely disastrous day ever!'

The feel of frustration that start to grow suddenly gone when the ray of hope starts to appear as he replies to my confession; the sentence that I really want to hear even though it's just quite hastily.

"So eventually, you didn't exactly just LIKE my face, is it? You actually fancy me since middle school. I do happen to notice you with your curiosity as you keep on observing me like I was going to dissolve into thin air and then I can't help to know your existence.", how should I react to that? He does aware of my indecent activity on him but he looks calm and a smile plastered on his face.

'Oh my God. What a beautiful creation of God. I feel like I don't deserve him in my lifetime'

Again, I start to gaze at his side profile with dreamy eyes; yes, he's gazing outside again but I try to take a look at whatever he's seeing, there's nothing interesting or someone that can catch anybody's attention.

'I wonder what he thinks right now? Is he considering about my confession? That seems possible since nothing that can bring him to be so deep in thought at this moment. Usually I bet there's nothing worth to see and it's just him staring without any thoughts.'

"Free this weekend?", his question brings me back to reality and makes me blur for moment. I become flabbergast as I look into his eyes and his sincere smile makes my heart flutter like there's no tomorrow.

"Ah, yes. I don't have anything to do this weekend. Why?", I don't want to get my hope high but the next thing I know I already shouting 'YES!' with my fist in the air when he declares that; embarrassing myself for another time. Thank God, the next teacher is arriving late.

"Let's go out on a date then, get to know each other better. How's that sound?"

The END