#6 - Mother

Nuance (Discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The ride to Yoojung's school that afternoon was quiet and awkward. The driver called in sick and Kyungsoo had to supervise a meeting at the company, so Chanyeol had to drive there on his own. Well, of course, with some company of Rosie. The school committee suggested to hold the meeting an hour before school ended, so that Yoojung could go home right away after the meeting was over. Chanyeol just agreed to whatever they decided since he knew it wouldn't affect him anyway.

"So... Why did they want to see you? Did something happen to Yoojung?" Rosie asked, breaking the silence that lasted nearly 20 minutes since they left the house. She was still upset at what happened before, but she couldn't bear the awkward silence between them.

"Just a monthly review," Chanyeol replied shortly.

Rosie nodded in response. When she was in middle school there wasn't such thing as monthly reviews. Every student just went to school like the usual. Teachers didn't really care about informing parents about how their children were doing. They let these kids do however they want; good or bad grades, there was no difference to teachers and parents. They just did their job and left. Maybe it was another story when it came to these rich parents, including Chanyeol.

After almost an hour, they finally arrived at the school complex. They were immediately welcomed with a huge sign that said 'CHEONGDAM'S GIRLS SCHOOL'. Just then Rosie realized that it was the famous school that always made into news for its low acceptance rate and exclusive education system, even being just an all-girls secondary school. Rosie held her breath when they went further to the complex. It didn't feel like entering a school at all. Instead, it nearly felt like entering an elite business complex.

There were three two-story buildings located next to each other. The architecture was rather modern, with glass windows plastered on most sides of each building. The only color visible on the buildings were grey and white. The buildings' shape was stiff square. The height of each building was also the same. Although it was meant to go for the minimalist look, it looked fairly boring at first sight. The only exciting thing about the complex was the cherry blossom trees that could be found almost anywhere. These vibrant colored trees sort of breathed some life to their surrounding.

After they parked safely, Chanyeol and Rosie walked inside the middle building. They went straight to the head principal room, in which a man in suit was waiting for them.

"Mr. Park," the man greeted warmly.

"Mr. Kim," Chanyeol returned the hand shake. "I don't have that much time, so let's just settle it quickly."

"Ah, yes I understand. Um, may I know who this beautiful lady is?" Mr. Kim asked as his gaze then adjusted to Rosie who was standing a little behind Chanyeol.

"She is Park Roseanne, Yoojung's new tutor," Chanyeol quickly responded before Rosie could answer the question herself.

"Nice to meet you, Miss Park," Mr. Kim said as he reached out his hand for a hand shake, which was then accepted gladly by Rosie. Getting weird intimidating vibe from the older man, Rosie just smiled throughout the introduction.

Mr. Kim then instructed Chanyeol and Rosie to sit across the main desk.

"I asked to meet you because there's something we need to discuss about your daughter," Mr. Kim said as he poured brewed tea to the prepared white cups. He then offered them to Chanyeol and Rosie.

"Well? She's showing progress, right?" Chanyeol asked as he took the cup of tea and sipped it carefully.

"I'm not quite sure with your own definition of 'progress'. To me, progress means there's something developing, or at least changing, to a better state. And in this case, I don't sense any progress in your daughter."

"Of course you can't sense it. It's only been, what? A week or two? Since the first day of eight grade?"

"Ten days, to be more specific. We're talking of the overall progress since she entered this school, Sir. And it's been two years."

"Maybe she just needs some time."

"IF only we could determine how long until she's gonna show any improvement, I'd accept it. Sadly we can't. And this kind of situation can't go on any longer. Your daughter doesn't seem to make any effort in her academic life. She doesn't even try. She just does whatever she want."

"I thought we already settled this down."

"Some of the other parents are already suspecting the special treatment that your daughter has been getting. I can't risk it."

"Is it not enough? How much do I need to transfer again?"

Mr. Kim smiled bitterly at Chanyeol's statement. "These parents are just as powerful as you, Mr. Park. They could send this issue to the higher authority, like the school foundation. And I could go to prison for it."

"No one can touch you. I'll make sure of it."

"I'd like to know what difficulty that Yoojung is facing. Perhaps Miss Park knows?" Mr. Kim asked as he turned to Rosie. He noticed that Rosie had been looking like she had a lot to say.

"I know Yoojung is actually bright student. She just refuses to act like one," Rosie said. "I'd like to know what happened too."

Both pair of eyes that belonged to Mr. Kim and Rosie then turned to Chanyeol, who seemed like he already saw it coming. Without saying a word, Chanyeol sipped his tea in a solemn manner and put the cup down carefully.

"Ya! Park Yoojung! Who is the woman that came with your dad earlier?" A young girl with curly, shoulder-length hair asked as she followed Yoojung who was busy walking.

Yoojung didn't answer her question. She just kept walking to get to the school's waiting area. She had already been informed that she would be picked up by Chanyeol and Rosie, and that her father would be having a word with the school committee before they went home. She knew what they would be discussing and what outcome that would happen from the meeting. She definitely wasn't looking forward to it.

"Is it your new mom?", the other young girl teased as she was trying to catch up with Yoojung's pace too. She was a little taller than the rest and her hair was put in a high ponytail.

Yoojung kept silent as she fastened her steps. She tightened her grip on her backpack.

"There's no way that the lady is her new mom. She looks normal," responded the curly haired girl.

"Sohyun-ah, what do you mean?", asked the ponytail girl with a chuckle, pretending to not understand what her friend was trying to imply.

"She's not crazy, Bora. Unlike her dead mom," the curly haired girl who supposedly went by the name Sohyun said with a grin.

Yoojung stopped at her track out of sudden. She spoke nothing, but there was a change of expression on her face.

"Right, Yoojung? Your mom, she was a crazy woman, right?" Sohyun asked. She was then standing in front of Yoojung who was quick to avert her gaze to somewhere else. The girl named Bora stood next to her with both arms crossed in front of her chest.

"Yeah. She wouldn't kill herself if she wasn't sick in the head," Bora concluded proudly.

"You know what, Bora? Maybe Yoojung is infected with her mom's disease. Look how she never interacts with us. She's always by herself. I also heard that sometimes she talks to herself too."

"Ya, Yoojung, do you also put on ridiculous dress and make a runway in the street too?"

Stop... Mom never did that...

"She hasn't. But I know that she will soon. Like mother, like daughter. Perfect!"

Please... Stop...

"Ya! Why aren't you talking? Are you really turning like your mom? Should we be scared now?"

I said stop!

Everything happened too fast for Yoojung. Next time she knew she was already pulling Bora's ponytail vigorously. It was too powerful that Bora's face turned lobster red, and she got instant tears in her eyes because of the unbearable pain in the head. Sohyun tried to stop the horrifying scene; but Yoojung's force was too strong that when she flinched to push Sohyun out of her way, she accidentally threw Sohyun's slim body against the wall instead. Bora attempted to get Yoojung's hands off her hair, even to the point that she had to scratch Yoojung's arms repeatedly. But of course it was useless.

"Yah! Stop it you crazy!" Sohyun screeched as she tried to grab Yoojung's shoulders to stop her.

Yoojung finally let go of Bora's hair. A few strains of hair was then stuck between her fingers. She quickly turned to Sohyun, who looked terrified as ever.

"You! You started it! You always do it!" Yoojung said pointing at Sohyun who was checking on Bora.

"You're insane! Just like your m-" Sohyun couldn't finish her sentence because Yoojung's hands landed fast on her neck, trying to strangle her so Sohyun would shut up for once.

"Shut up! Shut up!" Yoojung cried.

Bora, still feeling her head pounding, tried

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter