#4 - First Day

Nuance (Discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was one sunny day. Rosie woke up early to prepare all the materials for her first day of tutoring. She was feeling a little bit nervous- knowing how Yoojung acted by the scene she caused the day before. Clearly, Rosie still needed to get to know the young soul better in order to understand her erratic behavior. And maybe it took more than just learning about who Yoojung genuinely was.

When Rosie arrived at the study that one afternoon, the sulky being was already reclining on the armchair positioned by the window. She was shutting her eyes the whole time. Apparently she was asleep. Rosie decided not to bother her, remembering the fact that it was Yoojung's first day in 8th grade and that she must be exhausted. So, Rosie just sat down at the two seated sofa across her and watched Yoojung in silence.

"If you're just here to lazy around and not teach me anything then might as well leave this place," Yoojung spoke up so suddenly. Her eyes are still shut.

"I thought you were sleeping," Rosie said in surprise. That was the first time she heard Yoojung's voice. She sounded more mature than her age.

Yoojung shook her head and slowly peeled her back from the armchair. "Let's just do this quickly so I can go back to my room," she said.

"Well, Yoojung, let me introduce myself first. I'm-" "I already know who you are," Yoojung cut off Rosie's words.

Rosie was left completely speechless. She couldn't fully grasp the fact that a 12 years old could intimidate her so much. True, she had met this kind of people in real life before. But none of them were 15 years younger than her. She didn't know whether to feel upset or concerned.

"Listen, I don't know what kind of bad mental picture that you have of me right now... but I can fully assure you that I'm here to help you. I don't mean no harm, and so do you. So, please, let me do my job properly," Rosie said carefully.

Yoojung laughed lightly. "You think I don't know what your real intention is?"

Rosie gazed confusedly at Yoojung. She wished she understood what Yoojung meant but she didn't. "Well, I don't know. Why don't you tell me?" Rosie asked.

"You're just like the others," Yoojung sniggered before proceeding to stand up and walk away from the study room.

When Yoojung opened the door; a tall figure was already standing there, crossing his arms and glaring at the smaller being in front of him. "Get back inside," he commanded sternly.

Rosie couldn't believe her own eyes. It was the man whom she met at the club days before. For a moment she wondered why he was there, but then it immediately hit her. Could he be the Mr. Park who hired her?

Yoojung stood still and even crossed her ams. "I don't want to," she said loudly. Her gaze pierced through the man's eyes. Her height was actually at the man's chest's level but she was definitely very bold. It was such an intense scene to look at.

"Get back inside and apologize to your tutor," the man repeated. He didn't raise his tone but the intonation was different this time.

As expected, Yoojung didn't move an inch. The man suddenly grabbed her little, slim arm and dragged her back inside the study. "Apologize," the man commanded to Yoojung again as he pointed out his finger to Rosie. Yoojung just looked away. No word seemed to escape . 

"It's okay," Rosie finally spoke up. "I'm sure she's just tired. You must be Mr. Park?", she added as she stood up and reached out her hand.

"I am. Nice to meet you, Tutor Park," Chanyeol answered. The stern look on his face had softened. He was smiling shortly when he shook hands with Rosie. "I'm sorry for my daughter's behavior."

"It's not a big deal. Really," Rosie said calmly. "Today is supposed to be our first day but she seems exhausted. If you don't mind, please excuse your daughter to rest. I can start the lessons by tomorrow."

"She's clearly just acting up, Tutor Park. You can start the lesson today. I'll make sure she listen to you."

"But-"

"She will get her lesson today. Correct, Yoojung?"

Rosie couldn't argue more with Chanyeol. He seemed like a very assertive father and Rosie definitely didn't want to meddle in his family interests. She was paid to teach his daughter, after all. If he wanted Yoojung to start her lesson that day then it must necessarily be done. It was Rosie's first day and she wanted to make her first impression as good as possible.

"I don't want to!" Yoojung exclaimed, struggling to let go of her father's grasp on her arm.

"LISTEN TO ME!" Chanyeol shouted. It was so jarring to Yoojung that she finally went completely silent.

Rosie was also shocked to hear the sudden shouting. She could see how Yoojung was trying to hold her tears. There were apparent fear combined with shame in the little girl's expression.

"Finally you shut your mouth," Chanyeol said, letting go of Yoojung's arm. "Finish your lesson without acting up like that again. You know Tutor Park wouldn't be here without a reason."

Yoojung just bit her bottom lip, trying to suppress her own crying. She looked defeated and upset. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter