Chapter 5

Flowers Within Me


     "S-she refused to take the surgery. Only when she let out her last breath did she tell me. Only then did I realize as I watched her lifeless body on my bed." She said in between her sobs. I saw unnie cry even louder.

     "I miss her, Wonyoung. I really really miss her. If only I could just talk to her one more time. If only I've realized how I truly felt about her sooner. I wish she would just come back so that everything would be back to how it really was but the world doesn't work that way, does it?", she said before looking at me. She stood up and put the bottle on my hands, again securing my hold with that of hers.

     "I suffer everyday. I cry everyday because the simple things I usually do with her, suddenly turned into things I do on my own. We walk together, we eat together, we laughed together,  we've cried together, and now it's only just me left doing those things. I faced everyday with regret. I wished everyday that I could just turn back so that I could treat her better. But I can't. I really can't" She cried again. I couldn't say a word as I looked at her suffering.

     "I wish I could tell her. I wish I could just hug her one last time.", after saying it, she looked at me with a stern face.

     "I know you value your love for her but think of the ones you're leaving, your family, your friends and... And her." She took a step closer.

     "I know you love her but please love yourself more, unlike what she did. You could continue to live without loving her but you can't continue to love her without living, Wonyoung. Now, do you want to die and make her feel what I feel?" she asked me while staring at me with that eyes of her that showed suffering.

    I looked at the bottle on my hands and made a choice.

-----

Yujin's POV

    My best friend is gone.

    She started ignoring me after the sleep over, and I don't even know why. I tried to talk her but all she ever did was push me away.

    I didn't know why she did it but I knew just by the look of her eyes that she didn't want to do it or I hoped she didn't.

     No replies to my messages and no answers to my calls.

     Everytime I hold her hand, she forcefully pulls away.

     Everytime I wait for her, she leaves me and pretends that she doesn't know me. She passes by me like I don't exist, like we were never friends.

    And every time I try to hug her, she shoves me away.

     I miss her.

     Even when there are people around me, all I could think about is her. In everything I did, I miss her. Now, when I walk home, I walk alone. When I eat, I miss the voice that I hear when she's with me, all I could hear now were the utensils hitting my plate. I miss her laugh. I miss her smell. I miss her smile. I miss how she'd hit me when I'm being corny or embarrassing. I miss her warmth. I miss how our hands held each other. I miss how she'd hug me. I miss everything about her.

     Right now, I'm at the old playground, sitting on the swing. Waiting for her, hoping she'd come.

     I was shocked when I heard footsteps coming nearer.

     I looked behind me and there she was, walking towards the swing beside me.

     "Wonyoung, you came.", I said and smiled. I was glad that she finally came. I'm glad that she finally read my text. I waited here every afternoon and now she's here. Maybe now she'd come back. But all of my hopes dropped when she spoke with no emotion.

     "Why do you want me here? What do you need?", she said, not an emotion could be felt in her voice. She didn't even look at me.

     "Wonyoung, I miss you. Please, let's go back to the way it was before. Please.", I said as I faced her.

      "I don't think I can do that, Unnie.", she said and finally looked at me but her face was stern. She's not like the bubbly Wonyoung I've had as my best friend for years anymore.

     "Please just stop and let me go.", she then said. It was heartbreaking to hear her words.

     "No, I won't. What about all of our years together, are you just gonna let it go?" I said as I walked in front of her and kneeled in front of her.

      "You can find someone else to spend your future with, I'm not the only friend you have." She replied. I couldn't stop myself anymore and cried.

     "BUT THEY'RE NOT YOU, WONYOUNG! THEY'RE NOT. I LOVE YOU, MUCH MORE THAN YOU THINK. I'VE LOVED YOU SINCE THE BEGINNING, MORE THAN JUST WHAT FRIENDS FEEL FOR EACH OTHER. So please, just come back please. Please.", I said as tears kept flowing. I held both of her hands tightly and kissed it.

     "Why don't you just tell that to Minjoo unnie?", she snapped at me.

     "W-wha--- What are you talking about?", my eyes widened when I realized what she meant. She must've seen us.

     "It's not like that. It's not what you think. Please believe me. I love you, Won-..." I tried to expain but she cut me off.

     "Even if isn't, it won't matter. It doesn't matter because whatever you say won't change the fact that I don't feel the same way as you anymore. And I don't think I could ever look at you like that again. I don't love you anymore. I'm sorry.", she said and removed my hands from hers. She stood up and walked back inside.

     I heard my phone ring and read the text from Minjoo Unnie:

     "Thank you for helping me with Chaewon Unnie, Yujin. Your plan worked. We really made her jealous, so she finally told me.
Ps. She loved the song that we wrote. Thank you. :)"

     I should be happy for my friend but I couldn't be happy right now. All I could see was the girl whom I love walking away.

     As I saw her figure slowly disappear, tears fell from my eyes. Once again, I was all alone.

THE END.