Chapter 2

Flowers Within Me

     I stopped her from entering my room. 

     "What are you doing?" She asked, confused as to why I blocked her.

     "I just have something to do, you can't enter yet. Stay in the living room first.", I said while pushing her to go the living room.

     "What I said earlier was right, isn't it? Don't worry, I'm used to seeing your messy room" She said, amused by my actions.

     "No, I'm just going to change my clothes first, duhhh." Still preventing her from entering.

     "But I'm used to your smell. Plus, I need to change too. Why are suddenly so self-concious?" She said as she continued to try to enter my room. I froze. Change clothes together? I mean we've been friends for years, we've been doing that for years. Maybe a week ago, I wouldn't mind, but right now, I'm afraid I'll cough out a whole bush if we do that. 

     "UNNIE! JUST GO." I said as I pushed her again and kicked her , feigning annoyance when all I was was flustered.

     "Fine. Fine." She gave up and plopped down on the couch in the living room.

     I sighed in relief and quickly went to the toilet. I let out the burning feeling in my chest since the moment I saw her at the gate. I choked and threw up all the petals that were trying to escape. I held unto the toilet tightly, it felt like my insides were tightening and trying to excrete out all of my energy and the petals. I sat in the bathroom trying to recover from the pain and trying to wipe my face and sweat from exhaustion.

     I checked outside the bathroom and saw my clothes sprawled in my room. I guess she was right. I tried to hide all of the mess in my closet before I looked for clothes to change into. All I could find were the hello kitty pyjamas I usually wear during sleep overs and the oversized t-shirts I use when I sleep.

      I stared at myself at the mirror after I wore them. NOPE. NOT TODAY. I rummaged  through my closet and found a finally normal decent t-shirt and just decided to wear my shorts. I stared at myself again. Not too comfortable and not too much? Wait, my face, why is it so oily today? WHY AM I PANICKING? 

-----

     After a few minutes of trying to fix my face LIGHTLY with whatever those make-up things are called, I stared at the lip tint I was holding. I stared at my face in the mirror again. I wouldn't want to look like a hobo yet I don't want it to look like I put on something either. Should I? Or should I no---

     "YAHHH! How long are you planning to change your clothes?" I was surprised as I heard her scream while banging loudly on my door, the lip tint fell. It rolled over somewhere. Gosh, that impatient puppy.

     I quickly opened the door and screamed, "WHAT?". She went silent and blinked. She was staring at me for God knows how long so I snapped my fingers right in front of her. She went back to reality and  looked at the clothes she was wearing. She was wearing her usual Doraemon pyjamas. 

     "Wh- what happened to you?" She said, her face confused. 

     "Why do I feel like this is unfair? You should've told me if you were gonna were proper clothes so that I wouldn't look like a nanny next to you. And WAIT- Is that make-up?" She squinted her eyes and was shocked.

     "Oh my god. You're a grown up now.", she said, or teased rather. She pinched my cheeks and smiled.

     "Are we gonna watch the movie or what?" I said as I removed her hand from my face and turned to lay on my bed. My face felt warm again, I wouldn't want her too see me blushing. I felt my chest burn again. It was pushing itself up. I wanted to cough but I'm afraid she'd figure me out so I held it in. The more I held it in, the harder it was to breathe.

     We decided to watch "Mourning Grave" and laid with our stomachs on the bed, with my Laptop right in front of us. The lights were closed so only the laptop illuminated our faces. It would have been a normal movie if she hadn't made my breath hitch so suddenly. 

     She suddenly put her hand on top of mine. And no, this was no cliche accident hand holding scene where she did that by accident when she was reaching for the food. The chips were right in front her and not in the middle. I couldn't concentrate on the movie because of her hand. Then she made it even harder to breathe when she slowly put her fingers in between mine. 

     She smiled. She was still staring at the screen so I don't know if it were because of the movie or because of my reaction but she smiled. I couldn't help but smile too. I could feel her thumb run across mine repeatedly and I'd be lying if I said that didn't make my heart beat faster and my face feel warmer. Every time her thumb moves, I felt like it sent traces of electricity through me. All I could feel with her soft fingers intertwined with mine was warmth.

     Then I stared at her. Every time, her face seems to get prettier. I've never really seen her as someone other than my dorky and cheesy friend, but right now I realized how she's always there with and for me. She was always forgiving and didn't easily get mad at me. Despite how she teases me, she waits for me, she cares for me and would get worried about me. It was cute how her eyes disappear and how her dimples appear whenever she smiles.

     "If you're not gonna watch the movie, and just stare at me, let's just stop the movie." She said while still facing the screen. My eyes widened, realizing I must've been so obvious.

     "Arghhh" I heard her and I heard a very loud thud. I might have pushed her off the bed by just a little bit. Actually I did. I'm afraid she'd push me off the bed too. But while she was still on the ground, I coughed out all the petals I've been hiding and feeling. They were like groups of hair stuck in my throat. I hid the petals under the sheets. 

      She's taking way too long to get up. Is she okay?! I slowly peeked to the edge of the bed but stopped when I saw her head slowly rising. Then I saw her lips that were really red. And then I saw her hand holding the lip tint that fell earlier. Oh no.

     "UNNIE NO! WE'RE TOO OLD FOR THAT NO PLEAAASE!", I pleaded as I moved at the opposite side of the bed, covering myself with my hands. Just like we were children, she'd wear hella thick lipstick and then put her dirty lips all over my face so that I'd be filled with lipstick.

     I saw her mischievous smile and knew it was too late. She quickly jumped and and pinned me down on the bed (please don't be green-minded, I'm not gonna write something mature about minors :) using her body to not let me escape. I tried to push her off with my hands as she tried to put those lip tint-smeared lips on my face.

     "HAAHAHHAHAHA" She laughed in a sadistic way as I was struggling.

     "I swear unnie I'm gonna chop your head off if my face gets ruined by the tint. I'm serious." I said forcefully as she continued to look for a blind spot. I put both of my hands on her face to try and stop her from kissing me. 

     WAIT WHAT?

     I froze when I realized what's happening and how close we are to each other. She froze too after seeing me stop suddenly. Her eyes widened, she stopped pinning me down, and we both sat up abruptly on the opposite sides of the bed. I tried not to look at her while my face was burning red.

     "Let's continue watching the movie.", she said trying to remove the awkward silence between us.

     "Uhm. Yeah. We should." We laid back down to continue the movie, pretending like nothing happened.
-----