Realization and Some Important Hints

The Girl In The Painting

Third Person POV
      Awkward. That's what Hitomi feels everytime she sees Hyewon now. As she sat inside the classroom, the thought of the kiss that keeps replaying inside her mind. She softly groans and hits her head on her desk, her face red because of what she's thinking.

      Another girl is blushing at the back of the room as she stood in front of her locker. She's holding another letter from D.

"Hi Yuri! I failed my Math test again. I was sad but the thought of seeing you smile made me smile too. Please smile every time, it makes a lot of people smile too, especially me when I'm the reason why you're smiling.^o^
-D"

      It might seem to too cringy but it was something Yuri has grown to appreciate after receiving this type of letters from D since she started studying here. Many more were giving her chocolates, flowers and such since the time she sang on stage during one of their school's events, but she remembered that D was the first ever to appreciate her before that, and the only one actually, before all the new ones came in. This person lifted her up when she was sad but she still had no idea who this person was.

      "Uhhh. Yuri.", a guy suddenly said to get Yuri's attention. She looked up to see one of her seniors, Lee Midam. He's known for having this cool aura around him, him being quiet, serious, and good-looking wasn't the only reason he's known in school, he's also good at everything, from dancing, singing to rapping. Yuri smiled at the boy who's unable to look at her because of how shy he is.

       "Here.", Midam said as he gave the chocolate to Yuri before running away without even looking at her. Yuri laughed at how sweet he is. She suddenly  felt sad, not knowing why can't make herself fall for him instead when he has every quality a girl wants.

      She then looked inside her locker again to take her notebook but something fell on the ground. She saw a light blue envelope, poorly designed with little hearts everywhere, much different from D's which just had a plain pink envelope but had this very addicting scent. She opened it while going to the room 3 doors after their own and sat down at the corner as she read what's on the light blue paper.

      "I have no money, I'm sorry I can't buy you anything at the moment. I just wanted to tell you how much I like you. You may not have been able to notice how I feel for you but I'll make sure I'll make you feel how much I like you. Gosh, I'm usually not the type to write these things and I'm currently shaking because of how weird this makes me feel but how I feel is true though.

      Muah muah choop choop.", Yuri laughed at how weird whoever this person is. This part was clearly tried to be erased but whoever wrote this miserably failed at covering it with a bunch of lines.

      "Ah gosh I'm sorry for the last part. My dumb friend just decided to write that one.

-M"

      Yuri laughed harder because of how honest he/she seems.

      "Yahhh yahhh why are you smiling like that?", Yena asked as she stood in the center of the dance club's practice room after she stopped dancing. Hangyul sighed as he went to the speaker to close it after Yena messed up the dance as she was instantly distracted by the girl who just entered and sat down on the corner of the room.

     "Yena unnie.", Chaeyeon said and glared at the girl who doesn't seem to care as she stepped closer to Yuri. The only thing Yena paid attention to was Yuri, she couldn't see anything else at the moment. She stepped on Sihun who was lying on the floor but she didn't notice. She quickly took the paper from Yuri.

      "What the? What are you doing?", Yuri complained as she tried to take the paper from the duck's hand but Yena turned around so that Yuri can't take it.

      "M? Who's M?", Yena asked and gave the letter back to Yuri after reading it. The sound of the alarm could be heard signalling that it's now recess time.

      Yuri just shrugged as she walked quickly  to the cafeteria with Yena trying very hard to catch up to her to ask her a lot more questions.

      The other girls were already seated in the cafeteria when they arrived.

      "I asked you. Who's M?", Yena asked again but now with a stern expression. She sat down at her usual seat, just like Yuri did.

      "If I knew, then I would've told you. It's probably another secret admirer like D because of his/ her alias, .", Yuri said as she ate the chocolate that Midam gave her. Yena just pouted making Yuri laugh. She then put the chocolate near Yena's mouth to make her stop. Yena gladly took a bite, instantly forgetting about M because of food.

      "Woaahh, another admirer, Yuri?", Chaeyeon said as she sat down, arriving minutes later after Yuri and Yena did.

      "Shhhhh!", Yujin said as she looked up before reading her book again.

      "What's with Wonyoung and Yujin?", Yuri whispered as she looked at the two girls reading during recess. Wonyoung covered her book with her arms, trying very hard to not let Yujin see. Yujin rolled her eyes at that. Yena just hugged her best friend again after eating all of Yuri's chocolate. It was a normal sight for everyone, knowing how they're always affectionate, especially with each other.

      "Why don't you just give up, Yujin? Wonyoung has clearly won. She already won 4 times in a row in Science.", Chaewon nonchalantly said as she read a book called 'All The Bright Places".

      Yujin could've been feeling insulted but she knows Chaewon's effect on the youngest girl. She could see Wonyoung being unable to answer a question because of how she was distracted by Chaewon's words. Yujin could see how Wonyoung's face became slightly red as she looked up from her book and stole a glance at the usually poker-faced girl. Yujin looked at her and smirked but instantly winced in pain because of how fast Wonyoung pinched her below the table.

      "An upcoming test. A long one, I guess.", Minjoo whispered back.

      "Yena.", A guy's voice suddenly said behind Yena making everyone look at him. He then put a drink in front of her, at the table. After putting the drink, he then put his hand on her shoulder. Yuri's eyes furrowed as she stared at his hand.

      "Yeah, Gyul?", Yena said as she smiled and looked up to look at Hangyul. Yuri looked at them with a disgusted face because of the disgusting nickname.

      "Later?", He asked, ears clearly becoming red.

      "Yeah. Later.", Yena answered. Chaeyeon was utterly confused, seeing the guy she likes being so sweet with the dork beside her. Yuri felt the same too, confused. Why would anyone like Yena? He has some ty taste, she thought.

       "Gosh, Yena. Right in front of your wife? Right in front of Yur?i", Nako teased Yena when Hangyul finally left.

      "Pfft. Wife? I'll only date Yuri, I won't marry her.", Yena said and chuckled. Suddenly everyone gasped.

      Yena was now covered with the drink Hangyul just gave her. Yuri stared at her as she was standing, her face red because she's now fuming with anger. This is definitely something nobody expected. It happened way too quickly.

      "Wha- What the heck was that for?", Yena asked, clearly still shocked.

      "I'm sick of this . Do you think I'm such a low person? What do you mean by 'I'll only date Yuri'? What makes you think I'd actually date you?", Yuri scoffed before slamming the cup on the table and leaving to go to the bathroom. It wasn't a secret how insecure Yuri can be of herself.

       As Yuri stood in the bathroom, staring at herself, wondering why she's full of flaws while staring in the mirror, wondering why she still isn't enough, she ruffled her hair out of frustration. All of these admirers but Yena still treats her as if she was some joke. She then stopped when she saw Hitomi enter through the door and then enter the cubicle. Yuri waited for her to come out but didn't want to make it obvious.

       Finally, after a few minutes, Hitomi came out and stood next to Yuri as she washed her hands before staring at Yuri through the mirror.

       "What are you looking at?", Yuri said, teasing Hitomi when she stares at her like that. It has become their sort of thing.

       "Sowwy Sowwwyyy", Hitomi said, teasing Yuri back. Yuri thought that maybe Hitomi's been hanging out with Nako too much. She's slowly starting to speak now. She's slowly becoming a little devil too. They became silent for a while.

     "Did I...Was I overreacting?", Yuri asked Hitomi, her face showing guilt.

     "Yes.", Hitomi replied instantly, Yuri flinched at how blunt Hitomi, the quiet girl, can be.

      Yuri continued to ruffle her hair but was caught off guard by Hitomi's question.

       "Were you really mad because she joked about how 'low' you are or was it because she's making you jealous and making it seem that she doesn't like you back?", Hitomi asked or more like she's making the other girl realize something. Yuri thought how what Hitomi said now was the longest she's ever said but her feelings were much more important to her right now, she can dwell on Hitomi's improvement some other time.

      "What makes you think I like her? I never liked her. I don't.", Yuri scoffed but was unable to look at Hitomi.

      Hitomi just looked at her as a reply, but it was in a way that showed how she didn't believe Yuri. Hitomi left the comfort room and left Yuri alone to think. The thought of Yena and Hangyul being together came across her mind again making her fume with anger.

     "Oh no!", Yuri cursed herself for suddenly wanting to kill the guy.

      "ing no!", she cursed again for realizing that, like Hangyul, she has some ty taste too.

      In their classroom after recess, Chaewon's phone suddenly made a 'ding' sound, telling Chaewon that she received a message. She took her phone out from her pocket, bored because the teacher hasn't arrived yet.

     "Later. After class. Your house or mine?", Chaewon read. It was a text from an unknown person.

     "Who the is this? Why do you have my number? What are you? Some kind of ert?", Chaewon replied.

      "Woah woah slow down there. 1. It's because Minjoo gave it to me since she knows we're partners. 2. I was asking because we have to do the project, you dirty-minded freak.", She read. Project? They only have one project at the moment and her partner was---

       She looked at Hitomi to see if she was right. Hitomi was holding her phone, typing something, before looking at Chaewon with no sign of any emotion on her face. Hitomi is much more expressive when she's messaging, isn't she?

      "So?", Hitomi texted her again.

       "Yours.", Chaewon replied before hiding her phone when the teacher arrived. She looked at the quiet girl once again. Is she really this feisty when texting or is it because I'm Chaewon?, she thought.

      "Awweee, stop it Hitomi, you're making me blush.", Chaewon heard Minjoo whisper before she looked up and looked at her seatmate. Hitomi looked up from her phone too and smiled at Minjoo. Minjoo just discreetly pinched Hitomi's left cheek.

      Okay, that answered Chaewon's question. Hitomi must only be feisty because she's Kim Chaewon.

-------

       Chaewon watched the rain falling harder and harder by the second. She sighed, she again didn't have an umbrella with her. Nako's been going home early recently, no one knew why, so sharing with her isn't an option. It's getting darker, now. She's afraid Hitomi might think she ditched her.

      Suddenly, a student came through the door, carrying a peach umbrella. But to Chaewon's dismay, it was the girl who hated her.

      Hitomi saw Chaewon too so the two just stood there, staring at each other, with no expressions on their faces. It could've been romantic if Hitomi wasn't holding her umbrella tightly, it was as if she was ready to stab the other girl.

      Chaewon looked around once more, hoping someone else would appear to help her. Hitomi was already opening her umbrella, but still no one appeared, Hitomi is now her only choice. She had to move quick. Chaewon's father will kill her if she gets sick once again. She was definitely not in the mood to hear her father's loud and blurred voice.

      All of Chaewon's known chic personality vanished when she called for Hitomi. It hurt her pride but it's better than a bruised face.

      "Hitomi, wait!", Chaewon said, voice as if she was pleading. Hitomi froze and stopped from walking any further.

      "Can I... C- Can we share...uhmm can you share with me?", Chaewon said, it was the first time she heard herself stutter. She hit her head with her fist for being such a mess. She looked like a girl who's confessing to her crush.

      "No.", Hitomi blatantly turned down Chaewon's request. Chaewon just looked away and stepped back. For the first time ever, Hitomi saw her classmate's facade disappear as Chaewon pouted, unable to hide her disappointment.

      Chaewon started walking into the rain, without the school's roof, she will really be soaking wet. Chaewon was certain she'd get sick and hurt.

      But it wasn't until she felt someone pull her back by the collar. A peach umbrella was now above her head and a girl with fluffy cheeks is now beside her.

      "I'm not like you, Chaewon. I won't let other people suffer, even if it's you.", Hitomi said to Chaewon before holding Chaewon's waist to pull her closer because the umbrella isn't really that big.

      "And didn't I tell you that we have to start working with our project now?", Hitomi scolded Chaewon.

      "You think I was planning to ditch you? I was going to walk to your house.", Chaewon explained, trying to regain her chic and unbothered facade but failed miserably as she was unable to look directly at Hitomi's eyes. They were way too close.

      "Going to our house all wet? I wouldn't want my cousin to think I was the reason you're all wet.", Hitomi said as they began to walk, pulling Chaewon with her. Chaewon finally looked at the shorter girl as her eyes widened at Hitomi's choice of words. Hitomi then slightly pushed away Chaewon's face so that she'd look in another direction.

      "I didn't mean it that way, you dirty-minded freak.", Hitomi said before rolling her eyes. Chaewon chuckled because of her and Hitomi's reaction.

       They started walking to Hitomi's house, without saying anything to each other.

------

      The two girls laid on their stomachs on Hitomi's bed, but they were on the opposite edges of the bed, about to fall but too awkward to scoot closer together.

      Hitomi erased using her pencil too much so it's now reached to the point where you can't use the eraser. Hitomi bit on the edge of the pencil so that the eraser would be squeezed out.

      "Stop!", Chaewon told Hitomi as she took Hitomi's pencil from her hand and then threw it to whatever direction Chaewon could throw it. Chaewon remembered the blood on Hitomi's face and her loud cries. She remembered how afraid she was as she stared at the pencil with the bitten edge with a drop of blood on it.

       Hitomi looked at Chaewon, realizing that Chaewon hasn't forgotten like she thought she did. She saw how her face showed guilt and fear, something Hitomi didn't think Chaewon actually felt while she was suffering. Chaewon froze for a moment before getting another pencil from her bag.

      "Use this instead.", Chaewon said as she held out the peach-colored pencil that had a cute peach eraser at its edge. Hitomi remembered how she gave this pencil to Chaewon when they were younger. Chaewon only looked away, pretending to draw on her paper.

      Hitomi wondered why she kept this all these years when she gave it to Chaewon before Chaewon started to bully her but she didn't pry on it, thinking maybe the other girl doesn't even remember that it was Hitomi who gave it to her.

      Chaewon and Hitomi felt helpless after drawing for so many hours. Their drawings were just a bunch of lines, because none of them actually know how to draw. Chaewon groaned as she thought that this project was actually harder than she thought.

       Suddenly, a woman's shrieking could be heard. Chaewon looked up to look where the sound came from. She felt a chill through her spines as she was the only one who heard it, judging from how unbothered Hitomi seems.

       The shrieking continued. Chaewon could feel goosebumps around her body as a lot of things were going on inside her imagination. This house is clearly old, perhaps a woman died here before.

      "My Grandma died here.", Hitomi suddenly blurted out making Chaewon even more scared but she tried very hard not to show it.

      She then heard footsteps outside the room, getting close and closer to their door. Her heartbeat was going faster and faster as she stared at the door.

      Forms of cold were already forming at the side of her head as the door's knob was now slowly turning.

      "AAAAAAAHHHHHH", Chaewon's high-pitched scream could be heard when all the lights went off. She then hurriedly scooted over to Hitomi's side and hugged her tightly when she felt the other girl's small body.

      "AAAAHHHHHHHH GOD PLEASE NO!", Chaewon screamed again and said when she heard the door's screeching and light footsteps coming their way.

      "WHHHHY? WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING? WHO ARE YOU?!", someone screamed back.

      All the lights were again. Chaewon stared at the skinny Japanese girl wearing big glasses and an oversized pink shirt. Both of them stared at each other with wide eyes.

      "Oh I'm sorry for barging in to your room while you were doing some things.", Sakura said to Hitomi while teasingly raising both of her brows and then blinking, or was it winking but with both eyes?

      Chaewon immediately removed her arms around Hitomi's waist and pulled away, moving back to her original position.

      "No. No. We weren---", Chaewon tried to explain but was cut off by Sakura's laughter.

      "Unnie.", Hitomi glared at her cousin.

      "Oh I'm sorry. I just wanted to know if you wanted some snacks, I didn't mean to scare your girlfriend", Sakura said while chuckling.

      "Don't worry, lights just go off occasionally here.", Sakura then explained to Chaewon.

      "Unnie, can you stop shrieking when you lose a game? You're scaring everyone who goes here.", Hitomi whined. Chaewon looked at the girl, this is a side of Hitomi she's never seen before.

      "Yeah yeah, whatever.", Sakura waved her off before walking out to the room but quickly stopped when Hitomi called her.

      "Unnie. Can you teach us?", Hitomi asked.

      "Teach us how to draw. I saw your drawing in your room. We need your help for our project, pleeeeaaase?", Hitomi said cutely while looking at her cousin with puppy eyes. Chaewon was unable to stop herself from smiling because of how cute Hitomi looked while pleading. Her voice is much louder here too, clearly more confident inside her own home. She looked away when Hitomi turned to look at her.

     "Of course...", Sakura said so Hitomi's face beamed but Sakura being Sakura made her cousin's smile disappear quickly.

      "Not.", Sakura then said before sticking her tongue out at Hitomi and running out of the room. She successfully closed the door before Hitomi's pillow could hit her.

      Hitomi groaned, finally showing how hopeless she is.

      "Who are you gonna draw anyway?", Chaewon asked. She cursed herself when she realized how high her voice is, much higher than usual. Hitomi stood up and went to the wall with something covered by cloth. She took a deep breath and then removed the cloth.

      "Kim Chaewon, this is Hyewon.", Hitomi introduced her friend in the painting but of course, Hyewon is there, still standing still, no trace of life in the picture, just a painting. Chaewon looked at Hitomi weirdly.

     "You're gonna draw what?", Chaewon asked, not sure what Hitomi's trying to say.

      "Hyewon. She's the one that's special to me, the one I'm gonna draw.", Hitomi said shyly while looking at the girl in the painting. Chaewon chuckled nervously.

      Hitomi then covered the painting again and laid on the bed before looking at Chaewon expectantly.

      "What? Is my face too pretty?", Chaewon asked, now back to her unbothered and emotionless self.

      Hitomi just looked at her with a disgusted face.

      "Fine. Fine. I don't know who I'm gonna draw yet.", Chaewon admitted.

      "What about Minjoo, isn't she special to you?", Hitomi asked while now drawing on her paper.

      "M-minjoo? Pffft. Why would I draw her? I don't see her that way.", Chaewon said and then awkwardly laughed, her face now a bit redder than usual. She cursed herself again for showing this side of her.

      "She's your best friend, right?", Hitomi asked.

      "Oh. Oh that. Yeah. Best friend. We're just best friends. I don't wanna draw her since she's probably gonna draw Yujin.", Chaewon said, a bit hurt by her own words.

       "Really?", Hitomi looked at her incredulously before both of them went back to work.

      "It's getting dark now, how will you get home?", Hitomi asked after a while.

       "My cousin's gonna come and fetch me in a few minutes.", Chaewon said while still trying to draw.

      As if right on cue, the doorbell's ringing could be heard.

       "Why don't we look at my cousin's drawing just for reference then? So that we can at least have an idea on how or what we should draw.", Hitomi suggested.

      The two stood up and walked outside running into Sakura as she was walking to the door to see who's there.

      "Unnie, can we look at what you drew for your project before?", Hitomi asked Sakura while Chaewon just stood behind the small girl.

      "Yeah yeah whatever.", Sakura said as she was going down the stairs now, her headset on her neck, the wire hanging on her body.

      "Yow who's the---", Sakura almost choked when she saw who was standing behind the door as she opened it.

      "Uhhh. Good evening, Ms. Miyawaki.", Chaeyeon said awkwardly as she stood there. Chaeyeon then saw what her usually-sophisticated teacher is wearing. She had these big dorky glasses, an oversized pink shirt, a headset on her neck with it's wire just hanging from her body and super short shorts. She could see more of her student-teacher's milky white skin as what she was wearing was much shorter than the usual uniform teacher skirts she wore during classes.

      Sakura became self-concious and blushed as Chaeyeon stared at her.

       "Uhhh. Ms. Lee, why are you here?", Sakura tried to speak in the way she usually does in front of her students, with her poker face, now that she's in front of Chaeyeon. Chaeyeon looked away quickly, now aware that she was shamelesy staring at her teacher.

       "Uhm. I...I was just...", Chaeyeon completely forgot why she was here. Her eyes widened when she heard her teacher laugh for the first time because of her. Her face grew red because of embarrassment.

      "You were just?", Sakura asked the younger girl.

      "Oh yeah, I'm here to fetch my cousin.", Chaeyeon was finally able to remember and answer her teacher.

     "Cousin?", Sakura wondered who she was talking about.

      "Yes. Isn't she here? Chaewon?", Chaeyeon raised a brow, afraid that she might have went to the wrong home.

      "COUSIN?!", Sakura screamed which surprised Chaeyeon. Chaeyeon then saw Sakura run quickly upstairs, without even letting her enter. She was utterly confused why her teacher ran so quickly, almost falling down the stairs. She just stood there laughing when she saw her teacher almost falling down their stairs.

      Sakura entered her own room, almost out of breath, and saw how Chaewon was taking pictures of Sakura's drawing of Chaeyeon.

      "Please. Don't tell her that I like her. Don't tell heeeer, I'm begging you!", Sakura said as she stood on her knees in front of Chaewon and Hitomi.

     Chaewon and Hitomi looked at each other and smirked.

      "On one condition." Chaewon said as Sakura looked up.

      "What is it?", Sakura asked.

     "Teach us, Sensei.", both Hitomi and Chaewon said at the same time.

      "Fine.", Sakura was forced to agree.

------

       Hitomi and Sakura were now walking Chaewon out of the door. When they reached the door, Chaeyeon and Sakura awkwardly just stood there.

      "We'll be going now, Ms. Miyawaki.", Chaeyeon said, still unable to directly look at her teacher.

      "Aish. So formal. You can just call her baby, instead.", Chaewon said under her breath. Sakura's eyes widened at what Chaewon said.

     "What?", Chaeyeon asked her.

      "Oh I meant we should go now, bye Hitomi, bye Sakura unnie, thank you for deciding to help us!", Chaewon said while waving her hand and while starting to walk to their car.

      "Bye", Sakura said to them and awkwardly waved.

      Chaewon now sat at the back of the car as Chaeyeon sat on the driver's seat.

      "Bye Hitomi", Chaewon waved, hoping Hitomi would actually reply or at least wave back.

      "Bye Chaewon", Hitomi said and waved. She then, for the first time ever, smiled at Chaewon making Chaewon's heart beat just a little bit faster. She didn't know if she was just surprised or if it was because of something else. She looked away immediately, trying to hide her now pinkish cheeks.

      Sakura and Hitomi watched as Chaeyeon's car went further away.

      There were a lot going on in Chaewon's mind right now as she laid her head on the car's soft seat. She thought about the painting that Hitomi showed her, to how Hitomi smiled at her. Chaewon unknowingly smiled at the memory of Hitomi smiling at her.

      "Gosh, you're scaring me, Chaewon. Why are you smiling like that?", Chaeyeon said while paying attention to the road.

      "Oh it's nothing. I just finally know who's the special someone I'm gonna draw now.", Chaewon smiled as she looked out the car's window.