of flowers and rolled eggs.

Love Cohabitation

 

"Why do girls like flowers so much? They're just going to wilt a few days after you've receive them anyway," Yujin says upon coming across a channel with some random drama playing on it, the sight of the female lead receiving a bouquet of roses from one of the male leads in the middle of the night makes her scoff almost instantly.

 

She was never fond of rom-coms in the first place but for some reason, Minjoo seems to be enjoying it at times and even forced her to watch along when the show piques her interest - which Yujin does not mind anyway, since there was never a dull moment for her whenever she spends time with her girlfriend.

 

"They're pretty though. Most of my friends gets them from their boyfriends or girlfriends," Minjoo replies, taking a sip out of the alcohol in her hand. Yujin only nods her head at this, getting somewhat light-headed after emptying a couple of beer cans moment ago but she still chose to pop open another can and took a couple more chugs at it. 

 

"I see. I just think that it would be more fun to receive something edible, you know? Like a bouquet of chicken, or like cheese corndogs? Those are yummy."

 

"But that's not romantic at all. Flowers looks nice and pretty, and you can even preserve them before they wilt." 

 

"That sounds like too much work." 

 

"...Shouldn't you be more supportive of your brother? He's a florist, isn't he?"

 

"Who cares?" Yujin juts her lower lip into a pout upon being cornered by her own girlfriend. "Does this mean you like receiving flowers too?" 

 

"Of course, I wouldn't mind getting some," Minjoo slips out a chuckle and reaches out to pinch her girlfriend on the cheek. "Are you going to get me one?"

 

Yujin rolls her eyes at this and attempts to gently slap Minjoo's hand away from her cheek. "I was just asking. I think I'm getting a little bit tipsy by the way, I'm just going to head to the bathroom for a bit," Yujin says and places down her can, shuffling back onto her feet to stretch her limbs out.

 

Yujin non-chalantly makes her way to the bathroom and locks herself in as soon as she made sure that her girlfriend had resume watching whatever it was on tv. She then took her phone out from her pocket, dialling her brother's number to ask for a favour. "Hey, oppa? It's been a while. Does your shop do bouquets and stuff? I mean, you are a florist so you guys should be doing it." 

 

Yujin pauses for a bit but ends up being greeted by a long silence. Maybe her brother's only half-awake at this hour when he answered her call, hence the long silence. It was getting late after all but whatever, she'll just make it up to him by treating him to something when she meets him. "Anyway, I have this friend of mine who wants to give her lover a bouquet of flowers, like those really nice ones? So I was wondering what you'd recommend." 

 

Another long silence on the other line. 

 

Oh well. 

 

"Oppa? Are you still up?" 

 

"Yujin-ah."

 

Yujin blinks in confusion when she suddenly hears Minjoo's voice greeting her from the other side of the line. Maybe she is really drunk, for her to even hear Minjoo's voice at random times.

 

"You called the wrong number."

 

Yujin finally snaps back to her conscience when she hears a knock on the door and opens it to check who it was, which of course is Minjoo. The latter was looking at her in an odd way too, while being on the phone herself. The colour on Yujin's face gets drained a little when she puts two and two together. 

 

"Oh," Yujin says and properly checks on the screen of her phone this time. It was Minjoo. Not her brother. 

 

"You know, drunk dialling people is a bad habit. You should really get rid of that," Minjoo taps on the red icon on her screen to end the call and crosses her arms over her chest. "In case you're wondering, violet colored arrangements would be nice. Purple flowers and all. I would like that." 

 

"Yes ma'am. I will be more careful next time," Yujin meekly slips her phone back into her pocket and tries to keep her cool. "Well, I'm just going to wash up and sleep after this." 

 

"Okay," Minjoo says with a sigh and took the liberty of closing the door for Yujin this time to leave her alone. Yujin eventually rests her back against the surface of the door and lets herself plop down to the floor. She had just embarrased herself in front of Minjoo and will probably never hear the end of it when she gets sobered up the next day. 

 

Yujin groans to herself as she buries her face in her hands, face all flushed up from both the embarrasment and the alcohol. 

 

"I'm screwed."

 

-

 

"Why won't you believe me?" Minjoo points her prawn cracker towards her girlfriend grudgingly. The look on Yujin's face was enough to tell her that the latter appears to be a little skeptical of her tale of how delicious the rolled egg that she tried earlier at the office, when her boss happens to offer her some. "He's a really good cook and really great at work too. It would be nice if I get to eat it again."

 

The corner of Yujin's lips twitches a little. "I'm off to the supermarket. We're running out of groceries." 

 

"Oh? Let me come too! I need to get some things as well." 

 

 

Minjoo curiously peeks into the basket that Yujin had in her hand, wondering why on earth did the younger girl decided to get a small tray of premium eggs all of the sudden. "Why are you getting expensive eggs? I saw some cheaper ones near the counter earlier." 

 

"It's fine to do it once in a while," Yujin raises her shoulders into a shrug and scans through the vegetable aisle for spring onions this time, beaming at the sight of one last bunch and attempts to reach for it - when a kid gets to it first. Her face immediately falls. 

 

"Mom! Look! It's a green sword! I want this, I want this!" 

 

Yujin then taps on the little boy's shoulder to get his attention. "Hey, kid." 

 

"Huh?" the little boy turns to her in confusion. "What do you want ahjumma?" 

 

A faint gasp escapes from , shocked at the fact that she had just been called an old lady by a kid. She had just turned twenty six this year and at best, she is still a 'noona' to the kid.

 

How dare the little squirt stole the last spring onions and call her old-- 

 

"Why you little--" 

 

"Mom, there's a scary ahjumma here!" the little boy then quickly runs away from her. Yujin wanted to chase him at first but chose not to when she feels a quick tug on shirt and gets reminded of her girlfriend's presence. 

 

"Just let it go Yujin-ah, he's just a kid," Minjoo laughs a little and brings her hand up to Yujin's face, the pad of Minjoo's thumb gently caressing her cheek. 

 

"But the spring onions.. I wanted to use them for dinner tonight."

 

"I'm pretty sure we'll be able to make do without them. And I thought that you didn't really like them in your food?" 

 

"I don't but you do," Yujin gives up in the end with a sigh. "Let me make dinner for tonight, by the way." 

 

Minjoo nods her head with a hum and releases Yujin's cheek from her touch. Her face lights up a few moments later when she realizes what was going on. "You're jealous, aren't you?" 

 

Yujin was quiet for a moment. "Hah, why would I be jealous? I just wanted to make dinner. I'm not jealous. Me? Jealous? Surely you jest!" 

 

Minjoo tries her best to hold back her laughter. "So, it just so happens you're making something that has to do with expensive eggs and spring onions tonight? Right after I bragged about my boss?"

 

"... I'm going to the chips aisle now."

 

 

"Here you go," Yujin says as she places down the plate of rolled eggs on the dining table, a proud smile plastered onto her face. Minjoo had long waited for her to finish making their dinner for the night and she immediately raises an eyebrow at the lack of side dishes on the table. The plate of rolled eggs was the only dish served along with their bowls of rice.

 

"So, we're only having eggs and rice tonight?" 

 

"... Oh. I was focusing so much on the rolled eggs that I forgot about the others."

 

Minjoo grins fondly at this. Why does her girlfriend has to be so cute? "It's okay. I can heat up some canned food." 

 

Yujin nods her head along and rubs her nape abashedly. "Sorry."

 

They finally started eating their dinner after waiting for Minjoo to heat up some canned fish in the microwave. Yujin had only taken a few bites from her rice bowl, her attention solely on Minjoo who is seated across her at the dining table. She looks at the older girl expectantly, waiting for Minjoo to comment something nice on her dish. 

 

"Mm, it's good," Minjoo says and takes a few more bites from her piece of rolled egg. Yujin smiles smugly at this and proudly sticks her chest out.

 

"In that case, out of all the rolled eggs you've had recently, where would you rank mine?" 

 

"Well... Can I be honest then?" 

 

"Of course." 

 

"Yours is just below my boss," Minjoo then quickly finishes her piece and pauses to wait for Yujin's reaction, who happens to appear really really down after her comment just now. Ah. How cute, really. "But you know, my boss used to work as a chef when he was young, so of course he would be good at cooking. I don't think you should even try to compete with him. And on top of that, he often cooks for his grandkids."

 

"...Wait, grandkids? How old is your boss, exactly?" 

 

"He's fifty five, I think," Minjoo presses the end of her chopsticks on her pouty lips for a few seconds. "He is getting old, so I think he's going to be promoted to a director soon with how well he works at the company."

 

"... You never told me any of these." 

 

"What? About my boss?" 

 

"Yeah. That he's old." 

 

"Really? It must've slipped through my mind then," Minjoo hums happily as she takes another piece of egg. "Besides, it's cute to see you all competitive and jealous." 

 

"... I hate you." 

 


Author's Note - So um. Yes, another update for this, haha. Follow me at @izawanchu uwu I'm lonely.