Chapter 3 - One of Us

After All (JaeYong)

"one of us is crying, one of us is lying in her lonely bed. Staring at the ceiling, wishing she was somewhere else instead. One of us is lonely, one of us is only waiting for a call. Sorry for himself, feeling stupid, feeling small, wishing he had never left at all..."

 

3 years ago,

 

"Where are we going?" Taeyong can feel Jaehyun's big hands covering his face. They've been walking for quite a while now, going up staircase to staircase.

 

"Be patient! We're almost there." Jaehyun answered with a little giggle. He's been preparing for this since the school year started. He's not gonna allow anything to happen. Lee Taeyong will be his before the day ends.

 

Jaehyun and Taeyong were childhood friends. Meeting at a playdate set up by their moms for their older sisters. Since then, they were inseperable. With their houses standing side by side, they were the best of friends. The two boys only got separated when they got into different sections in High School and gained new group of friends.

 

It wasn't until the end of second year of high school when Jaehyun realized what he has been feeling for Taeyong and finally pursued him, not as his bestfriend but as the love of his life. Jaehyun knew that he's good looking, a number of admirers proved that. But admirers from left to right is nothing because all he can see is Lee Taeyong from class 3-A.

 

After 4 sets of flight of stairs, Jaehyun removed his hands from Taeyong's eyes and the latter realized where they were.

 

"The roof deck? What for?" Taeyong asked.

 

"It's a surprise. Are you ready?" Jaehyun said.

 

Taeyong smiled as Jaehyun opened the heavy roof deck door. There was a blinding light as the sun shone through, engulfing the dark roof deck hallway. When their eyes adjusted to the light, Taeyong let out a loud gasp and a huge smile came after. Jaehyun couldn't be even more prouder. He had Johnny and Yuta to thank for all their help.

 

At the roof deck, there was a table set for two, a single rose stood on a white vase as a center piece. Rose petals were scattered on the floor starting on where they stood, leading to and circling the table. A savory aroma can be smelled everytime the wind rushes past them.

 

Smells good, Taeyong thought.

 

Taeyong looked at Jaehyun and gave him a peck on the cheek. That made the other boy blush and his ear turn red. He was then led by Jaehyun to the table, helped him sit and took a seat himself. Soft classical music can be heard as the two boys sat in silence. Neither of them could talk but the smiles in each other's faces is enough proof that all they needed was each other.

 

"Do you like it?" Jaehyun asked as they were eating, smiling at Taeyong.

 

"I do! It's so good!" Taeyong answered, taking another forkful of pasta.

 

"I cooked it myself. Just for you, love." Jaehyun took Taeyong's free hand and kissed it, which made the other boy blush.

 

Right after, Jaehyun took out a small Tiffany blue box. A curious frown was painted on Taeyong's beautiful face as soon as he saw it on the table. Jaehyun smiled at him and took out a white gold Tiffany Infinity ring encrusted with round brilliant diamonds. Taeyong couldn't help but gasp. It was so beautiful. Jaehyun smiled at Taeyong once again and slipped the ring into Taeyong's slim fingers.

 

It fits! Jaehyun thought. Phew.

 

Jaehyun looked up at his boyfriend and saw his eyes tearing up. He let out a soft chuckle and stood up to hug Taeyong.

 

"But... But... I didn't get you anything..." Taeyong sniffed, face buried on Jaehyun's chest.

 

"It's okay, love. I have a matching necklace." Jaehyun said, pulling out a matching white gold Tiffany Infinity necklace. Taeyong laugh-cried and buried his face on Jaehyun's face again.

 

"I love you..." Taeyong said.

 

"I love you too... Forever." Jaehyun answered, then kissed the top of Taeyong's head.

 

They went home together as usual, but with an aura of happiness as they walked hand in hand. When they reached the Lee house, Jaehyun gave Taeyong a tight hug. He then held Taeyong on both arms and looked at him intently.

 

"Promise me one thing." Jaehyun said with a serious face, with Taeyong just nodding his head. "Whatever happens, you'll be mine and I'll be yours."

 

"I promise." Taeyong said and gave Jaehyun another hug.

 

"Go on in." Jaehyun smiled and urged Taeyong to go inside his house, which the latter obliged.

 

Jaehyun waited for Taeyong's room lights to illuminate before going home to the house beside Taeyong's. As soon as Jaehyun closed their front door, he heard his eldest sister shout from the kitchen.

 

"Jaehyun? Is that you?" Soyeon, or Jessica as others call her, shouted. She's 8 years older than Jaehyun. They have a middle sister Soojung or Krystal, who was 3 years older than Jaehyun and is currently in America studying fashion.

 

"Yep! I just waited for Taeyong to get to his room." Jaehyun answered his sister, he went to the kitchen and leaned on the island and watched her cook dinner.

 

"Since we're on that subject, have you told him?" Jessica asked while mixing the freshly cooked pasta to the herby pesto sauce she managed to do from scratch.

 

"I... I haven't. I don't know what to tell him." Jaehyun said, head hanging low.

 

"Jaehyun, just tell him you'll be leaving for America. Tell him or you'll hurt him." his older sister said. Jaehyun just sighed and left the kitchen to go to his room.

 

"Dinner is in 10 minutes!" Jessica shouted after him.

 

Jaehyun fell asleep. Jessica went to his room to check on him and call him for dinner but her heart ached at the sight that behold her as soon as she opened Jaehyun's bedroom door.

 

Clothes scattered, suitcases still left unpacked, crumpled papers on the floor and on the desk. Jessica sighed and picked up a piece of paper closest to her.

 

"He's taking it so hard..." she said to herself.

 

One by one, she gathered the crumpled papers to the trash can under his desk and packed his clothes for him. Before leaving the room, Jessica hung the clothes he'll be wearing on the now empty closet doors.

 

Taeyong woke up with a huge smile on his face. With the bright morning sunlight coming through his window, he admired the ring Jaehyun gave him the other night. He loved the way it sparkled and it reminds him of how his boyfriend's eyes sparkles every time.

 

He was just about to go out of his room when he caught sight of Jaehyun outside, fully dressed in a fancy outfit. Taeyong stopped to his tracks to admire his beautiful boyfriend until he realized that he was loading the car trunk loads of suitcases.

 

"Is Jessica noona leaving?" Taeyong said to himself, watching his neighbors intently.

 

Jessica was dressed in her usual business casual clothes, clearly from her own clothing line. A year ago, Jessica launched her own clothing business and it took off right away, making her one of the youngest CEOs of her generation. She made her way to the driver seat and was followed by Jaehyun, who has grabbed his favorite backpack that was given to him by Taeyong for his birthday that year.

 

Jaehyun made his way to the passenger seat. But before getting in, he looked back and looked up at Taeyong's window. Taeyong was looking at him with a pout and a frown in his face. The moment Jaehyun met Taeyong's gaze, he flinched and got into the car quickly.

 

Realization washed over Taeyong's face. He doesn't wanna believe it but he ran out of his room, down the stairs and out of their house. By the time he reached the Jung house, the car was meters away. He tried to run after it but the clumsy boy he was, he tripped and fell. When Taeyong looked up, the car was nowhere to be seen. Sunny came running after him, she hugged him as soon as she reached her little brother. Taeyong was crying so hard that Sunny had to try to soothe him and calm him down.

 

They went back home, with Taeyong limping because of a sprain on his ankle caused by the trip he had and Sunny served as a support for him. He was still crying but it had died down. Sunny brought Taeyong to the kitchen and served him some hot soup that she had Jeno heat up that morning before she ran after Taeyong. He was not feeling up to eating but he still did. Upon finishing, Taeyong went back up to his room refusing help from either Jeno or Sunny.

 

Summer break just started the day Jaehyun left and Taeyong spent every single day locked in his room. Nobody can make him come out, not even Ten or Doyoung. Sunny had no choice but the leave his food outside his room. One day, Taeyong forgot to lock the door when he took his lunch for the day. Ten and Doyoung came and found the door unlocked. But before entering, they heard sobbing from the other side followed by a growl and a small metal clink.

 

Ten and Doyoung ran inside Taeyong's room and saw their friend sitting on his bed, crying. As soon as Taeyong saw his friends, he quickly covered himself with the duvet and continued sobbing. Ten went straight to Taeyong and comforted him, while Doyoung picked up the ring and saw that one diamond has detached. He tried to find it but it was probably too small for him to find right away. Doyoung placed the ring inside Taeyong's jewelry box and joined his two friends on the bed.

 

It's been a week since Jaehyun came to California and he hasn't heard a single thing from Taeyong. Not even Johnny or Yuta has any news for him other than he refused to go out of his room ever since the day Jaehyun left Korea. He felt guilty, it was his fault after all. He was the reason why the love of his life was suffering. He should have said something to him before leaving but he chickened out. Now, Taeyong has been cooped up in his room refusing to see anyone.

 

Jaehyun wanted to come home, but his sisters won't finance his tickets. Jessica offered to talk to Taeyong on his behalf. He accepted and waited for news of Taeyong from his sister.

 

Jessica went back to Seoul for the launch of of her brand's summer line. She sent an invitation to the Lees and encouraged them to bring Taeyong's friends with Johnny and Yuta, who Taeyong remained friends with.

 

Along with the invitation was letters for Taeyong. The first one was a personal letter from Jessica apologizing for the behavior of Jaehyun the day they left, and the second one was one of the crumpled letters on Jaehyun's room the night before his departure.

 

When Taeyong saw the handwriting, tears started to form in his eyes. Tears started to fall as he went on reading. 

 

"My love,

 

I am sorry, I am being a coward. I was supposed to tell you this over lunch earlier but I got scared. Always remember that even though I am here, you will still be my love. My one and only.

 

I love you...

 

Jaehyun"

 

Taeyong sighed after reading the letter. Everyone was in the Lee house, including Johnny and Yuta. They were all waiting for Taeyong's reaction but he just folded it and placed it to his jacket pocket.

 

"So?" Ten asked.

 

"He said he got scared. That's not enough reason to run away..." Taeyong wiped off a tear from his cheek. Ten and Doyoung hugged him and Johnny and Yuta tried their best to console him.

 

They all attended the launch of Jessica's new summer line. Each one of them receiving gifts from her but all her focus was with Taeyong. When the excitement has died down, Jessica finally got the chance to talk to Taeyong. She sat him down while the others go around the pop up store that was set up specially for the launch.

 

"Taeyong, before anything else, I want to apologize to you. I may have been part of the reason why Jaehyun didn't get to tell you he's leaving." Jessica started. "I told him that he must do it otherwise you'll get hurt. I thought he already told you, but turns out he hasn't and the thing that I was afraid of came true. Jaehyun didn't want to leave but our parents insisted. We had no choice. I hope you're not mad at me, more importantly, at him." she said.

 

"Noona, you didn't have to apologize. You did nothing wrong. It was all Jaehyun. He's a coward. He assumed things before he even asked. If he only told me, I wouldn't got mad or anything." Taeyong said. "But noona, you're not the one who should be doing this. He should be the one. But thank you. Thank you for this talk. Thank you for apologizing in his behalf. And thank you for inviting us in this event."

 

"You're family, you have every right to be here." Jessica said, she then hugged Taeyong and they went and join the others.