Chapter 1 - Believe

After All (JaeYong)

"Do you believe in life after love?"

 

Taeyong just finished choreographing a new routine when he heard the gymnasium doors fly open and Doyoung came running in. They were preparing for the university's annual Sports Week, where Taeyong was set to lead their class' dance team to another victory. Ten, who was sitting on the edge of the stage, got up and stood beside Taeyong to know what the fuss is all about.

 

"He's back!" Doyoung shouted from halfway the gymnasium. "Jaehyun's back!"

 

Jaehyun...

 

That's a name he hasn't heard for four years...

 

Taeyong frowned and turned his back from Ten and Doyoung, who finally reached the stage. The two boys just looked at each other. Doyoung gave Ten a questioning look, but the latter just shrugged.

 

Taeyong let out a huge sigh and finally said, "Who cares?". He crouched down and gathered all his stuff.

 

"TY, are you okay?" Ten asked.

 

Taeyong stood up and did a little more stretching. He exhaled deeply before facing his friends.

 

"I'm fine! What are you two yapping about?" Taeyong said as he walked off the stage. "I'm hungry! Let's go get coffee and cake!" he shouted and left Doyoung and Ten scrambling to get their bags and catch up with him.

 

The three friends ended up going to Taeyong's favorite coffee shop near their old high school. The place changed a lot over time. It used to be just a small space where high school kids can hang out after class. But now, the owner finally acquired the whole property and renovated the building to a bookshop and café where high school and university students and working professionals can hang out.

 

"You know... For someone who 'doesn't care', you visit this place a lot." Ten said with a smirk painted across his face.

 

Taeyong rolled his eyes and walked straight to his usual spot in the café. He dropped his bag and faced his friends. "Can you please get me my usual? I just need to check out a book." he said.

 

"Strawberry Yoghurt Smoothie?" Doyoung asked which Taeyong answered with a thumbs up.

 

Doyoung and Ten made their way to the counter to order. As Ten finished pointing out sweets that they can eat and will definitely cheer their friend up, he turned as the doors close and two guys are making their way to them.

 

"Oh no..." Ten whispered, which caught Doyoung's attention and who in turn cursed under his breath.

 

Johnny and Yuta saw Doyoung and Ten at the counter as soon as they entered the café. Johnny's face lit up as soon as he saw his boyfriend. When they reached the two boys, he hugged Ten tightly right away.

 

"Where's Jaehyun?!" Ten whispered furiously at Johnny while pinching the taller boy's right side.

 

"Ow! Ow! Release me first!" Johnny said with a little laugh. Ten obliged and looked at him questioningly.

 

"He went to the bookshop. He said he need something." Johnny answered before giving his boyfriend another hug.

 

Doyoung and Ten cursed at the same time. Johnny and Yuta threw back the questioning looks at the two other boys. Ten was about to say something when they heard a thud at the bookshop. Doyoung and Ten looked at each other and sighed. Looks like the inevitable has come too soon.

 

Taeyong walked around the bookshop, trying to find the book he wanted to buy for quite a while now. It was that new book from that famous Western author. He loves Young Adult contemporary novels, it makes him feel light and enjoy being young.

 

He fished his phone from his pocket and dialed his sister's number. Taeyong has two siblings: Sunny and Jeno.

 

"Noona! I'm at the bookshop. Do you need anything?" he kept on walking around, looking at the wide variety of books while on the phone with his sister. "How about Jeno? Got it. See you later!" Taeyong stopped on his tracks. "Huh? Dinner? Where? Okay, see you!"

 

Taeyong got the books that his sister wanted. He was about to got pay for them, but as soon as he makes a turn from the isle he's at, he bumped on something hard... Strong, even. The books he was holding dropped and was currently scattered on the floor.

 

"." cursed someone. "Are you okay?" he heard him gasp. "Taeyong?"

 

Taeyong looked up and as soon as he saw who he bumped into, he cursed at himself for being stupid.

 

Jaehyun was kneeling in front of Taeyong. The love of his life. His one that got away. But more like, the one he left so he could go away. He can still see the pain in Taeyong's eyes the moment the other boy realized who he was. He gathered Taeyong's books and offered his hand to help him get up. But Taeyong ignored him and stood up by himself.

 

Taeyong couldn't believe what just happened. Ten warned him but he ignored his friend. Now here he stood, in front of Jung Jaehyun. The only boy he's ever loved and the one who once broke him to pieces. Jaehyun was giving him his books back with an apologetic smile on his face. He rolled his eyes and took his books back so he could pay for them and drag his friends out of the goddamn café.

 

"Taeyong, please!" he heard Jaehyun shout after him. Stupid.

 

The four boys heard Jaehyun's shout and saw Taeyong making his way to them with books in his arm. Ten sighed and faced the barista once again to order more sweets. He's thinking that with his friends scowl right now, they're gonna need a whole lot of sweets to cheer him up.