Still Arranged Marriage?

Draft Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Arranged marriage. Was it really happened in real life? Nayeon never thought it's real, until she experienced it by herself. Oh, it's not for Nayeon, but her brother Im Siwan.

Of course Nayeon wanted to know why her grandpa, Im Jongseok, decided to force Siwan to agree with the marriage. And Nayeon just knew, it's not that simple.

Her grandpa was a veteran soldier. Short story, he’s saved by Japanese soldier--named Hiro--when Korea was colonized by Japan. Funny right? It's because the Japanese soldier felt in love with Jongseok's friend.

Unfortunately, the general of Japan troops knew that. Hiro was killed as betrayer. And until his last breath, he didn't know, he had a baby with the woman.

Knowing the situation, Jongseok promised to take care of Hiro's child, a son named Akira. He loved Akira as if he's his own child. He wanted to make Akira as part of his family. But there's a problem.

Jongseok wanted Akira to marry his daughter. But, as they grew up together, they couldn't. Akira had fallen in love with his daughter's best friend. And that's the start when Jongseok felt guilty because Akira left with no trace.

Seventeen years had passed. In a crowded road, inside his car, Jongseok saw someone familiar. He's driving a cab. He told the driver to follow the cab. And, he's right, it's Akira who he saw.

Jongseok was getting older and older, and his guilty kept haunting. He tried again to convince Akira to be a part of his family. But Akira had married, so his daughter. It's impossible for them to marry. And suddenly, he remembered his grandchild.

Akira had a daughter, a senior in high school. Since he didn't have much money, his daughter probably wouldn't go to university. And that's how Jongseok offered another deal. He wanted Akira's daughter to marry his grandson, and he would help them financially.

But, learning from the past, he didn't want to force it. So he left Akira to choose. Akira told the whole story to his daughter. Surprisingly, his daughter agreed, but with a condition. She wanted to marry after graduated.

Swallowing the whole behind story made Nayeon felt dizzy. And dizzier when her grandpa just told her that she would be a part of the story.

Until the girl graduated from university, she would live with Nayeon since the campus was near with her apartment.

So, here she was, face to face with the girl inside her apartment. Myoui Mina. A Myoui. Daughter of Myoui Akira. Granddaughter of Myoui Hiro, her grandpa's saviour.

As someone who's bubbly, Nayeon wanted to be friendly with Mina. Even Nayeon was still unfamiliar with the situation that her brother would marry a girl who's 9 years younger, she tried to act friendly. But all she got was coldness.

"So, Mina, that room is yours"

"...and if you need a help, just tell me"

Only with slight nod, without any single word, Mina entered the room, leaving Nayeon speechless.

She will be my sister in law???? Uuuuggh, Nayeon's irritated in her mind.

Mina was an architect student. And as Jongseok's promise, her tuition fees were all covered. She even got extra pocket money from him.

With all those special treatments, Nayeon thought that she would be a nice girl. But she's wrong. She's colder than an ice.

Months had passed, but Nayeon and Mina still acted like strangers. They’re living in a same apartment, but they almost never bumped to each other. Even for weekends, Nayeon just met Mina at night when she entered her room because she’s gone for a whole day.

At first, Nayeon didn’t care because she’s busy too. As someone who worked in production team for national TV, she even rarely went home. But today she couldn’t help it since Mina would be her sister in law and both were free at the moment inside apartment.

“You’re not going anywhere today?” Nayeon tried to start the conversation while sipping her morning coffee in Sunday morning.

Nod.

“What are you doing?” Nayeon knew Mina’s probably doing her assignment by looking at paper and lots of things in front of her, but she still asked anyway.

“Assignment”

Sh*t, did she count how many words she spilled a day???? Calm down, Nayeon, calm down. No.

“Well, I clearly can see that. I meant what kind of assignment?”

“If I tell you, can you understand?”

“Well if you don’t tell me, how could I understand?”

“It has nothing to do with you”

I am done, Nayeon’s thought.

“Yah! I was asking you politely! What’s wrong with your answer???”

“You’re bothering me”

“Wh-whaat???”

Just before Nayeon uttered another annoyance, Mina left her dumbfounded.

“There. It’s bothering me” Mina just wipe Nayeon’s upper lip from coffee grounds casually.

And that’s how, for the first time in months, Nayeon could see another side of Mina.

She’s dangerous. Nayeon didn’t know, but her heart told her that she’s dangerous.

The weird acts didn’t stop. Nayeon thought that maybe Mina had opened herself to her because she’s her soon to be sister in law too. When she’s at home, sometime she found cooked food on dining table with a simple note “you can have the leftover, it’s still edible to eat”. Or when she’s drunk, Mina left her medicines before went to campus.

It’s almost a year since she lived with Mina. Nayeon’s glad that Mina wasn’t as cold as the first time they met, but at the same time, warm Mina was also scary. It’s like Nayeon didn’t know what’s on Mina’s mind.

“What’s up, Nayeon! Daydreaming again?” Nayeon’s bestfriend suddenly shocked her.

“Shut up, Jisoo”

“Tsk. I know it’s Mina again this time. People may think you’re falling in love her”

“W-what??? No!!! She’s soon to be my sister in law!”

“And yet, you keep thinking about her”

“Isn’t it n-normal? I mean, she acted like she’s new species in my life. I never find someone like her tho. You feel what I feel, right?”

“Yeah. When I met her in your apartment, unlike everyone who couldn’t say anything because of my beauty, she just walked away”

“Seriously”

“Hahahaha, but, well, if you don’t have any interest on her, you won’t think about her 24/7”

“I-I’m not!”

“Well, you better not, and think about other thing. Like how Yugyeom suddenly got close with Mina since we had little party at your place”

“Wait. What??? How??? Since when???”

“Uuuuugh, guess you didn’t know it…better ask her yourself, nyeongan!!!”

“Yah! Comeback here!!!”

Nayeon couldn’t stop thinking what Jisoo said. How could Mina, soon to be Siwan’s wife, got closer to another man? She needed to ask it before anything getting worse.

“I’m home” Nayeon checked if there’s someone inside her apartment. And there she was. Sitting in front of a canvas.

Nayeon rushed herself into her room, while thinking what should she said to Mina about Yugyeom. You better do it now, Nayeon.

“Mmm, Mina. We need to talk” since Mina didn’t say anything, so Nayeon thought it’s ok to talk.

“Jisoo has told me. Are you...perhaps...having a crush with…Yugyeom?”

Few minutes of silence until Mina spoke, “What about it?”

“Let me remind you why you’re here”

“I still remember that”

“Then you better not to ruin it”

“Mr. Jongseok only wants me to marry your brother. To be part of your family legally. He doesn’t ask me to have a feeling for your brother”

“W-what??? You’ll marry him! To be his wife and have a baby together!”

“So this world is fair for you? Forcing people to do what they don’t want to?”

“I-” Nayeon’s speechless. For her, it’s unfair too for people who have an arranged marriage. But then she remembered.

“But you’re the one who agreed with it, Mina!”

“Again, doesn’t mean I have to love your brother. It’s up to me to love someone I really wanna love”

“…and, you must be too innocent here. So better you not talking about this anymore” Mina added.

“What do you mean?”

“It's about time”

Uuuugh why this creature is so mysterious??? Is she a vampire??? Nayeon had lost her mind.

That’s the last conversation she had with Mina about the issue. And she wanted to angry everytime Yug

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter