Chapter 1 - Deleted Scene 7: Stormy Nights

The End of Hardship

The wind howled outside, a late summer storm in full force on this Tuesday night. Dahyun paced the floor of the nursery, both her hands placed supportively on the small of her back as she tried to alleviate the pain that was currently keeping her from being able to sleep.

 

A sudden clap of thunder filled the room, and Dahyun couldn’t help but chuckle when she felt the baby jump, startled at the loud noise.

 

“Shh, it’s okay, we're okay,” She said, her voice calm as she moved one of her hands to run across her midsection. “It’s just a little thunder. If you would stop wiggling around and go to sleep it wouldn’t startle you.”

 

She continued to walk back and forth, hoping the waves of pain that were now radiating from her low back to her hips would eventually cease.

 

“You’re really going to love it here,” She mused, looking at the freshly painted walls that were covered in Chaeyoung’s art.

 

Bright pink and yellow flowers, happy bumblebees and butterflies lined the walls, while the ceiling was a soft blue color, powdered white with clouds.

 

“Chaengie did a great job in here,” Dahyun smiled, noticing a familiar looking puppy that had been painted on the corner of one of the walls. “It looks like Chewy helped too.”

 

“Did the storm wake you up?” Mina’s soft voice interrupted the silence in the room.

 

“No,” Dahyun sighed, her tired eyes hiding none of her exhaustion. “I haven’t even been asleep yet. My back is killing me, and she can’t seem to get comfortable either.”

 

“I think she’s just running out of room,” Mina showed a gummy smile as she crossed the room, placing a hand atop of Dahyun’s bump.

 

“Well she’s going to have to get used to being cramped, because she has to stay put in there for at least three more wee—” Dahyun’s voice trailed off, caught off guard by a contraction.

 

“Contraction?” Mina asked, glancing at the time on her cell phone.

 

“Mmhmm.” Dahyun nodded, breathing in and out, waiting for the contraction to pass.

 

“Have you been timing them?” Mina asked, concerned.

 

Dahyun nodded again, breathing a sigh of relief when the wave of tension was over.

 

“They aren’t regular. Just strong tonight,” Dahyun yawned, rubbing her eyes. “I just wish she’d let me sleep. Everytime I lay down it feels like she pushes her tiny little toes into my spine.”

 

“Want me to give you a back rub?” Mina offered.

 

“No, I couldn’t ask you to do that, unnie. It’s almost two in the morning, you need your sleep.”

 

“So do you,” Mina replied, taking Dahyun by the hand. “Come on.”

 

The thunder continued to rumble as the two girls made their way to Mina’s bedroom. Mina let Dahyun find a comfortable position—on her side with a body pillow between her legs, cradling her bump—and then crawled into the bed behind her.

 

“Thank you, unnie.” Dahyun mumbled as Mina gently kneaded the muscles of the younger girl’s lower back.

 

A few minutes into the massage, the low roar of thunder was accompanied by the soft, and much needed, snores of the younger girl.

 

Mina smiled, curling up against Dahyun, lacing her arm through Dahyun’s arm to rest her hand on Dahyun’s stomach.

 

“Now you let your eomma stay asleep, okay?” Mina whispered, feeling the baby shifting around beneath the palm of her hand. “You need your sleep too, little one.” Mina yawned, closing her eyes, eventually succumbing to sleep, serenaded by the early August rain.