CHAPTER SEVEN

Edelweiss

“We’ve been looking for you all morning.” Chaeyoung was smiling from ear to ear as she went to greet Lisa. “Yong-Min told me you were working on something important for the crown prince and to look for you by the east wing.”

 

“Hey! I uh, had to step out for a bit. I decided to come by your clinic but you were not there.” that was weird, shouldn’t Yong-Min keep the location of her study a secret?

 

“Chaeyoung-ah…” Jisoo looked rather paler than when Lisa met her yesterday, she whispered something to Chaeyoung who looked at her affectionately as she nodded in response. 

 

“Lisa, we need to change the bandages and re-apply the ointment on your bruise. Will you accompany us back to the clinic? I promise it shouldn’t take long.”

 

Lisa nodded, turning her attention to Seonha. “Tell your mistress I said thank you, you may take your leave.” 

 

Seonha bowed deeply addressing Lisa, Chaeyoung and Jisoo, leaving them as she went back towards Jennie’s quarters. 

 

“That was my sister’s personal servant; Seonha…”

 

She knew she shouldn’t feel this embarrassed, there’s nothing wrong with being seen with Jennie’s servant. Then why did she feel like a deer caught in the headlights and her cheeks reddening? 

 

“Yes, She accompanied me to Chaeyoung’s clinic.”

 

“Seonha?”

 

“No… I meant your sister, Kim Jennie… I asked her since I didn’t know the way, and she let Seonha accompany me back to my quarters since I seem to always find myself being lost in this maze of a place.” Lisa played with the hem of her chima, trying her best not to look at Jisoo. 

 

“Oh, I thought she was with Abanim... I guess she finished earlier than expected.”

 

“Jisoo, we really do need to get back, you can continue your conversation with Lisa there.” Chaeyoung’s gentle voice broke through the awkward tension as Lisa breathed a sigh of relief. 

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

Chaeyoung talked most of the time as they walked back to her clinic, asking Lisa all sorts of questions regarding her wound and bruise, with Jisoo asking all the appropriate follow up questions. Lisa didn’t mind, it made the walk back less awkward for the three of them. The windows of the clinic were closed when they came back, making the small room feel stuffier than when she first came here. Lisa took the seat opposite of Chaeyoung, who was helping Jisoo be more comfortable beside her and, opening the window allowing the cool breeze inside. 

 

“So, let me take a look at the wound first.”

 

Lisa slowly pulled the sleeve of her chima, allowing Chaeyoung to see just enough of her shoulder while keeping most of herself clothed. Shock slowly registered on Chaeyoung’s face which was quickly replaced with a small smile. 

 

“I didn’t know you already took care of that.” she chose her words carefully, Chaeyoung recognized the seal on the brass pin the moment Lisa showed her. She took a quick glance at Jisoo who’s attention was focused on the vials of ointment and powders by the shelf, giving both of them the privacy they need. 

 

“Yes, I wasn’t so sure we’d be meeting each other today.”

 

Chaeyoung pulled her sleeves back up, covering the bandage and keeping the pin safely hidden from Jisoo, nodding to acknowledge Lisa’s answer. She proceeded to hitch the hem of Lisa’s chima to check on the bruise.

 

“That looks awful…” Jisoo had her attention at the purple mark on Lisa’s side, she gave Chaeyoung a worried look, her voice huskier than usual. 

 

Chaeyoung was already wiping away the remnants of the ointment, the cloth cool against Lisa’s warm body. Taking her time not to push too hard against the bruise, making Lisa think of Jennie’s gentle touch. Lisa tried her best to divert her attention to the window, she can see how intense Jisoo was gazing at her through the corner of her eye. 

 

“This should do the trick.” Chaeyoung had applied the ointment, putting her chima back in place as she smiled at her. “You should be all patched up in three days time.”

 

“Great! Would you want me to come back here tomorrow? Around the same time?”

 

“There’s no need, you don’t know the way around here yet and it’s quite far from the east wing. Why don’t we meet up by the pavilion the next day? Your bandage seems to be fine, we can change that the day after tomorrow, we just need to re-apply the ointment. The swelling seems to have lessened drastically as well, so it should be a fast recovery from here on.”

 

Lisa nodded, she can remember how to get back from the study to the pavilion just fine so that shouldn’t be an issue. Jisoo who’s been silent for quite some time, was breathing quite heavily. 

 

“Chaeyoungie…” Jisoo looked at her with half lidded eyes, 

 

“Jisoo… what’s the matter?”

 

“Chaeyoung…I” 

 

“Jisooie.. look at me… try to breathe in and breathe out slowly.” Chaeyoung was holding Jisoo tenderly in her arms as she whispered soothing words that was inaudible to Lisa. She looked at Jisoo with so much affection that made Lisa squirm and blush. This felt too personal, she knew she shouldn’t be here, this was not for her eyes to witness. Blood was starting to trickle down Jisoo’s nose whose eyes were closed. 

 

“Lisa? Can you wring that cloth for me and bring that closer?” Chaeyoung whispered, afraid that anything louder might make things worse. 

 

Lisa did as she was told, while Chaeyoung wiped away at the blood and placed the cool cloth on Jisoo’s forehead who seemed feverish. 

 

“I’m sorry you had to see her like this. This hasn’t happened for a long time, it must have been from the heat.” Chaeyoung looked at Lisa with sad eyes as she continued to wipe at Jisoo, cooling her off. 

 

“I could leave if you need me to.”

 

The bleeding had stopped and Jisoo looked like she had fallen asleep while Chaeyoung placed more pillows behind her, ensuring she was comfortable enough. She whispered something that made Jisoo smile as she nodded weakly, muttering a soft thank you.

 

“I’m sorry I can’t walk you back Lisa.” she was holding Jisoo’s hand in her own with such tenderness, afraid it would break at any minute. 

 

“It’s fine, this would be the best time to finally familiarize myself with this place.” Lisa stood up slowly, careful not to make any sound and wake Jisoo up. Her breathing has stabilized, eyelashes fluttering in sync with her slow breathing. 

 

“Lisa, I trust you’ll keep this a secret?” she had an expectant look on her eyes that begged. Lisa looked at her and then at Jisoo and nodded. She knew she wouldn’t tell a soul even if Chaeyoung hadn’t asked. 

 

“I’m really good at keeping secrets…” with that Lisa slid the door slowly, turning her back -- unaware of how Chaeyoung kissed Jisoo on the cheeks briefly, before sitting close to her looking out the window with a sigh. 

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

It took Lisa a couple of tries before finally reaching the study. The scene back at Chaeyoung’s clinic kept replaying in her head. Is Jisoo sick? She’d been standing in front of the door for a while, is this why Jennie wanted to become a physician when they were young? A lot of things has happened in the short  two days she’d been in Joseon, she can’t help but wonder how tragedy seemed to accompany most of the time she’d been in this period. She ran her fingers through her hair, sighing. She knew in time she’d get the answers to all the unvoiced questions she had, now she had to focus on the antidote. 

 

“Lisa!”

 

Great, what now?

 

“Seja Jeoha…” that sounded weird, she wasn’t comfortable with how that came out. 

 

“I will be leaving this afternoon and will be back in three days, I need to take Yong-min with me for this. Will you be fine here? I have ordered my servants to ensure you’re well taken care of, as well as advised them not to have anyone disturb you when you are here.” 

 

“I should be, yes.” this is great news! Lisa found herself smiling at this new information, she didn’t have to worry about the antidote for three whole days!

 

“Do take note of the progress you have with the antidote here.” Jungkook held out a bound book, Lisa could see it was filled halfway already. “I snuck this from the official secretariat of my father’s court and left an imitation to make sure they don’t find out.” he winked at her before continuing. “It includes everything that has happened to my father when he got ill, from the treatments to the symptoms. We make sure everything is recorded. I trust you would do the same?” 

 

And here I thought I’d be getting a free pass for three days. 

 

“Of course....” Lisa faked a smile, her mind already in overdrive as she looked at the book in her hands. 

 

“Well then, I will be leaving this in your capable hands. Thank you Lisa…” he took her hand in his and smiled. Bowing to kiss it softly just above her knuckles. 

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Lisa had been staring at the notes since Jungkook left, trying her best to make sense of the things written on it. The book was quite heavy, leather bound and painted bright red. An engraved dragon seal adorned it’s cover, signifying the seal of the King of Joseon.

 

Two moons after the Seollal Festival:

 

The king has been struck with an odd malady. 

King has complained to court physicians of intense headaches during evenings before the festival. King lost consciousness and was having chills accompanied by a fever


 

Five moons after Daeborum festival:

 

King has been advised Song-gen tea every morning and Lee Mon-Hyul has been called out to administer Acupuncture and have prescribed Hanyak to be provided every morning before morning meals. 

 

Three full moons after the Hansik festival:

 

Rashes has begun to appear in King’s upper body, palms and soles of the feet. Sores filled with water has slowly began appearing and covering the King’s entire body.

King has been exempted from taking participation in the festivities, granting the crown prince temporary power with the guidance of the Yangban. 

 

Lisa, has read and re-read the same page over and over again. okay , the King has sores all over his body, fever and chills for almost two years. What now? She closed the book and ran her fingers over the seal one more time, willing it to somehow give her magical abilities to cure whatever disease the king had. It was already getting dark and her dinner sat untouched on the table beside her. This was going to be a long week

 

----------------------------------------------

 

Lisa has decided to go back to her quarters bringing along the damn book with her, afraid someone might sneak in and find out their little secret. Speaking of secrets, Lisa had hoped Jisoo was feeling a lot better, she can only imagine what atrocities Kim Yang-Hwan would have ordered against Chaeyoung if he found out. He was the sort of man who, regardless of the evidence provided would still have his own whim followed. 

 

Lisa took a right down the hallway, a couple of walks away from the study when she heard voices. 

 

“May I remind you of your duties as my daughter. You do realize you have little say in this discussion?”

 

Liza froze, wait that sounded like Jennie’s father. Lisa could see candle light spilling through a crack by the door, allowing Lisa to take a quick peek inside. Kim Yang-Hwans features looked even harsher against the shadows cast by the candle light inside the lamp. He was sitting by the head of the table, his eyes locked with -- Jennie’s. Lisa could tell from the way her hair was braided and the way she sat -- with confidence and elegance. She had her back to the door. Lisa pushed on the door slowly, forcing it to open a bit more. Lisa held her breath, as it slid without a sound. This provided her with much better view as she can make out a third person in the room, it’s shadow against the red walls. 

 

“Abanim… all I ask is time. Surely you can afford me with that much courtesy given how this is all happening quite so soon?” 

 

Her father did not answer immediately instead he took one of his rings off of his thumb, playing with it between his hands, wrinkles deepening in thought. 

 

“You have a month, no more than that.”

 

Jennie nodded, the third person in the room moved towards them when the book in Lisa’s hand slipped. Jennie turned around towards the sound as her father stood up. 

 

“Who’s there?”

 

Lisa picked up the book and ran as fast as she could behind one of the banisters, trying her best to even out her breathing as she bit on the insides of her cheeks. 

 

“I don’t see anyone Abanim, it must have been an animal.” Lisa could hear Jennie’s voice, probably taking a look outside to see what caused the commotion. For a minute Lisa could hear nothing but silence and the blood rushing to her ears as she held onto the book with her dear life. Ten seconds… twenty seconds… Lisa heard the door slid close. 

 

Taking a quick look back she saw the door to Kim Yang-Hwan’s study has been fully closed, Lisa bolted. Running as fast as she could silently until she reached the outside of her room. 

 

…. 

 


A/N: please vote for Blackpink in the MGMA in twitter with hashtag #MGMAVOTE #BLACKPINK @ygofficialblink Thank you for reading! Have a great day ahead!